• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STALKER 2 Xbox Graphics Modes & Main Story Length Detailed | 4K30FPS on Quality, 4K60FPS on Peformance

Draugoth

Gold Member
stalker-2-4-1024x576.jpeg

UPDATE:

A New Trailer has been released at the PC Gaming Show:

The main story length and graphics modes offered in the Xbox version of GSC Game World’s first-person shooter survival horror game, STALKER 2: Heart of Chornobyl, have been revealed.

Speaking during an interview, GSC Game World CEO Evgeniy Grygorovych and executive producer Mariia Grygorovych shared new information regarding STALKER 2: Heart of Chornobyl, including details regarding the main story length and the graphics modes that will be available in the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S version of the game.

STALKER 2: Heart of Chornobyl Xbox Graphics Modes​

The graphics modes available in the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S versions of STALKER 2: Heart of Chornobyl are listed below.

• Xbox Series X
    • Quality: favoring a higher resolution while targeting 30 frames per second
    • Performance: favoring a consistent delivery of 60 frames per second at a lower resolution
  • Xbox Series S
    • Single mode: the only mode available will target a frame rate of 30 frames per second
The exact resolution in each mode is currently not final, as the development team is still in the process of optimizing the game.

Main Story Length​

According to the GSC Game World CEO and executive producer, STALKER 2: Heart of Chornobyl features a non-linear story with plenty of content. The player’s in-game choices will determine how the story pans out and the specific direction that the narrative takes. Side objectives will also have different results based on the player’s choices, and some will affect the main plot. However, it’s not possible for players to experience all the stories that the game has to offer in a single go. That said, the main story will take roughly 40 hours of play time and will offer up to 4 different endings.

Additionally, it was revealed that Unreal Engine 5’s Lumen gives the game a global lighting system that allows the development team to achieve more realistic day/night transitions and multiple weather environments.

Source

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Still rooting for this, STALKER has a great history and I'd like to see it continue! 40 hours sounds like a sweet spot, specially if one can't see everything in one playthrough.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Please be good

Please be good

Please be good
I think it will be good. Not 90+ review score good because it's not going to have that polish but no one wants that from a Stalker game anyway. Give me jank and weird mechanics and story that only really make sense to a Ukrainian.

Hell yeah, was going to get this on pc, but maybe will just get it on the x, to justify me owning it (got as a gift)

Hopefully it isn't too casualized /consolized , now that its on console as stalker was always a pc franchise.
If there isn't a ton of inventory and just pew pew bang bang, I wont buy it.

All the graphics in the world wouldn't make me care if the neutered the rpg aspects and inventory.
If i just want shooting, I can play metro.
Part of stalker charm was the jankyness, the gun-play where there was actual bullet drop and accuracy mattered for the gun quality.

Food and anomaly usage and gear that had different radiation protection.
All that coupled with Russian area setting of the exclusion zone.

Something tells me it won't be as hard core as Shadow of Chernobyl and its sequels , due to the Netflix shows and such making it a more casual game.
I hope I am wrong.

Hugare

Nowadays, every game has 4K output resolution

What really matters is internal resolution. Everytime devs announce "4K resolution" option for their game I cringe, 'cause that's just false marketing.

I bet the game will be a looker tho, regardless of the resolution

Senua

Nowadays, every game has 4K output resolution

What really matters is internal resolution. Everytime devs announce "4K resolution" option for their game I cringe, 'cause that's just false marketing.

I bet the game will be a looker tho, regardless of the resolution
Yea it means fuck all, it's a target it will most likely not hit

Senua

40 friggin hours is longer than I was expecting, way too long for a shooter. Will feel very repetitive after the 15 hour mark
I've replayed shadow of chernobyl countless times, definitely more than 40 hours worth and still want more. MORE I SAY!

The atmosphere keeps me returning to it, this isn't your run of the mill shooter franchise

Last edited:
With all the shit these guys have been through I'd be surprised if the game can meet the very high expectations for it. As long as the zone is great though, the rest can always be fixed.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
40 hours is pretty substantial, though not that much longer than, say, Call of Pripyat. What I'm really curious to know is if they're striving to achieve the same depth of hardcore immersion of the original games (or even mods like Misery). If it turns out that that AI and other simulation elements are significantly dumbed down, I'm not going to be interested, sadly.

Please stop measuring games in hours.

It's a useful metric to have as a consumer. Helps me plan out when I'll most likely have time in my yearly schedule to devote to a particular game.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
With all the shit these guys have been through I'd be surprised if the game can meet the very high expectations for it. As long as the zone is great though, the rest can always be fixed.
The games have always been 70 - low 80 reviewing games so people should keep their expectations in check for critical reception at least. But there is always a unique experience for those willing to persevere.

Fbh

Talks about graphic modes….. then goes on to say nothing about resolution….. or maybe I’m blind.

Yeah this is basically just confirming it will have a 60fps mode but without giving any details,

It's an UE5 game though so I expect Quality mode to probably be something like 1200p 30fps and Performance probably something like 720-800p 45-60fps

twilo99

UE5 games are getting better with their performance modes, so what seemed like impossible when the game first got announced would be pretty doable now.

Looking forward to this. Supporting the devs even if its on GP.

Still CPU limited on current gen consoles unfortunately

STALKER games aren’t shooters bro.
This is the problem. Too many cod people will get in to this and the dev will do one of two things.
1. cater to fps fans, which means stripping out all rpg mechanics, inventory and realistic attributes to ballistics, armors etc...
or
2. Stay true to their roots and add on to the rpg inventory system.

I really hope its part 2, but if MS pushed them it will probably be option 1 to cater to halo/cod players and not the hardcore stalker fans.
(same thing happened to Mass effect, how it went from rpg to shooter with dialog options basically, although shooter fans loved it, I preferred the first game as far as rpg systems go)

Really irks me how only thing being talked about is Graphics. why does resolution matter so much to some? Things can be upscaled, does it look that bad? As someone who is still using 1080p tv and monitors, i don't know. I was told upscaling on 4k from 1080 is really good. Are they wrong?

Anyway, hope we get more details on gameplay and inventory system, open world, gun and armor, anomalies and dialog, everything that is important in stalker.

Last edited:

Mowcno

Please stop measuring games in hours.
Yeah... same feeling with the Yakuza info that came out the other week. Your game doesn't have to be 40+ hours long. I mean if the 40 hours are all really good then fine, but all too often by the time I'm getting to the end of a playthrough I'm willing for it to be over and to move onto something else.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
This is the problem. Too many cod people will get in to this and the dev will do one of two things.
1. cater to fps fans, which means stripping out all rpg mechanics, inventory and realistic attributes to ballistics, armors etc...
or
2. Stay true to their roots and add on to the rpg inventory system.

I really hope its part 2, but if MS pushed them it will probably be option 1 to cater to halo/cod players and not the hardcore stalker fans.
(same thing happened to Mass effect, how it went from rpg to shooter with dialog options basically, although shooter fans loved it, I preferred the first game as far as rpg systems go)
I get why you would think that, but if there’s been one thing MS hasn’t been, it’s pushy with developers. If anything, to a fault. They need to get more involved.

The first one never came to consoles right? May need to dust off the ole PC.
Never been on consoles. you have 3 games to catch up on and multiple total conversion mods or advancements.

Shadow of Chernobyl
Stalker Clear Sky
Call of Pripyat

Get out of here stalker!
AH NU CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE
If you've got something to say, spill the beans, otherwise, take a hike

clarky

Gold Member
Talks about graphic modes….. then goes on to say nothing about resolution….. or maybe I’m blind.
It literally says right there in the OP.

"The exact resolution in each mode is currently not final, as the development team is still in the process of optimizing the game".

Never been on consoles. you have 3 games to catch up on and multiple total conversion mods or advancements.

Shadow of Chernobyl
Stalker Clear Sky
Call of Pripyat

Get out of here stalker!
AH NU CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE
If you've got something to say, spill the beans, otherwise, take a hike
Hmm, I thought it was just Shadow of Chernobyl. Are the other two expansions or something. This isn't Stalker 4. heh

Hmm, I thought it was just Shadow of Chernobyl. Are the other two expansions or something. This isn't Stalker 4. heh
They were complete new games on enhanced engines of the first. Each game had new graphics and game enhancments and had different areas.

Clear sky is a prequel to Shadow of Chernobyl, it introduced faction warfare and they would play out and change while you played. You could join any of them. Factions were in the first game but the system wasn't fleshed out and territory didn't shift. Unfortunately it was really buggy on release, but most got fixed.

Call of Pripyat
Was a different story, you played as a military guy going to investigate a missing person in the zone (if i remember right) It improved the world with sleeping mechanics, stash locations, and newer ai "a-life" which had stalkers leave and go on hunts during the day.

They are not expansions but different games.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
4k60 FPS in performance mode???

(Dynamic resolutions are not 4K)

It doesn't say that in the actual article.

• Xbox Series X
    • Performance: favoring a consistent delivery of 60 frames per second at a lower resolution

Topic title is OP's creation.

Last edited:
Good time to mention S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Anomaly if you guys haven't checked it out. Completely free to download and play. It's incredible.

Perfect way to warm up for the newest release.

I'll say I hope that development is going as smoothly as it can considering what's going on in that part of the world and what they had to do to continue it. Looks great and I look forward to playing it.

CGNoire

The main story length and graphics modes offered in the Xbox version of GSC Game World’s first-person shooter survival horror game, STALKER 2: Heart of Chornobyl, have been revealed.

Speaking during an interview, GSC Game World CEO Evgeniy Grygorovych and executive producer Mariia Grygorovych shared new information regarding STALKER 2: Heart of Chornobyl, including details regarding the main story length and the graphics modes that will be available in the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S version of the game.

The graphics modes available in the Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S versions of STALKER 2: Heart of Chornobyl are listed below.

• Xbox Series X
  • Xbox Series S
    • Single mode: the only mode available will target a frame rate of 30 frames per second
The exact resolution in each mode is currently not final, as the development team is still in the process of optimizing the game.

Main Story Length​

According to the GSC Game World CEO and executive producer, STALKER 2: Heart of Chornobyl features a non-linear story with plenty of content. The player’s in-game choices will determine how the story pans out and the specific direction that the narrative takes. Side objectives will also have different results based on the player’s choices, and some will affect the main plot. However, it’s not possible for players to experience all the stories that the game has to offer in a single go. That said, the main story will take roughly 40 hours of play time and will offer up to 4 different endings.

Additionally, it was revealed that Unreal Engine 5’s Lumen gives the game a global lighting system that allows the development team to achieve more realistic day/night transitions and multiple weather environments.

Source
Just for Clarity that top shots a Bullshot.

skneogaf

It's hilarious when written as 4k@60fps for performance mode after writing 4k@30fps for quality mode.

Ain't nothing 4k about upscaling from 1440p in my eyes.

sendit

• Xbox Series X
  • Xbox Series S

Main Story Length​

Source
Gonna need a 5090 for this.

Draugoth

Gold Member
It doesn't say that in the actual article.

• Xbox Series X

Topic title is OP's creation.

Im assuming it's dynamic 4k.

Spyxos

Gold Member
UE5 games are getting better with their performance modes, so what seemed like impossible when the game first got announced would be pretty doable now.

Looking forward to this. Supporting the devs even if its on GP.
Yes, but the game now looks worse than it was announced at the time.

Top Bottom