• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield May Update - Adds 40/60 hz Options for Series X and More QoL Updates (May 15)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
- Surface maps are being updated to be more detailed and easier to navigate (look a bit like Skyrim's overworld now)
- Map markers for easier navigation in cities
- New difficulty options and customization for players who want to make space combat, carry weight, land combat etc different difficulties (will effect XP gain)
- More ship customization options
- Respec your starter-traits and ability to change appearance
- Working on First Land exploration vehicle
- Series X gets a 40hz Quality and 60hz Performance option
- Creation Kit tools are in beta user hands already.

XBOX SERIES X DISPLAY SETTINGS
We've heard from many that you'd like to have more control over the graphic fidelity and performance on Xbox, similar to how PC players can customize their experience. We're now enabling that on Xbox Series X with a few options that you can use to find the best fit for your playstyle and display.
For each of these, we highly recommend a Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) Display running at 120hz, and to verify your Xbox is setup to use it. If you have it setup this way, Starfield will now default to a frame rate target of 40, while keeping the priority for full visuals.
  • Frame Rate Target: You can now choose between 30, 40, 60 or an Uncapped frame rate on VRR displays. If you do not have a VRR display running 120hz, you will still be able to select from 30 or 60. Screen tearing may occur at times when selecting 60 on a non-VRR display.
  • Prioritize: You can now prioritize between Visuals and Performancewhile trying to maintain the frame rate target. If you're choosing a frame rate target of 60 or above, we recommend changing this to Performance. Prioritizing Visuals keeps the highest resolution while maintaining full detail for special effects, lighting, and crowds. Prioritizing Performance lowers internal resolution and detail for special effects, lighting, and crowds. Both modes may adjust internal resolution dynamically when scenes or action get heavier as well. When switching between modes, you will see the lighting change briefly as the system catches up to the new mode.

7Q3XwDB.png

XZhVl4B.png

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The graphics in this game are so good. The shot of the rover driving in the desert looks gorgeous. Great to see third persopn dialogue scenes. Again, so much detail packed in every scene.

Looks like for performance mode they are downgrading the resolution, lighting, crowd and other level of details. Thats a shame but expected. 60 fps comes at a cost and simply downgrading the resolution in a game like this was never going to be enough.

I remember the game being CPU limited and 60fps wasn't possible on the consoles Zen 2. Maybe the work that went into the PC's post launch performance boost has been rolled in here with additional tweaks

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Glad to see they are working on improvements instead of just taking the money and run.

Still won't play it, but I hope that when I end up doing so the game's much better than what it is now.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Also noted that Creation Kits have been sent out to beta testers already.

Probably will go live for everyone along with Shattered Space as well.

The graphics in this game are so good. The shot of the rover driving in the desert looks gorgeous. Great to see third persopn dialogue scenes. Again, so much detail packed in every scene.

Looks like for performance mode they are downgrading the resolution, lighting, crowd and other level of details. Thats a shame but expected. 60 fps comes at a cost and simply downgrading the resolution in a game like this was never going to be enough.
I'll probably keep it at 30 honestly. But I'll try it.

Top Bottom