• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else still prefer to buy console games physically?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I'll buy digital games at MS store sales, but for games I really, really care about like Halo or Bethesda RPGs and a few others, I buy the physical games because I collect those.

Fuck physical tbh.

Basketball Ok GIF by Malcolm France

Excess

Always digital. In fact, I used to install my Xbox 360 games to the HDD not only because loading times were better, but because it cut down on the noise from the console. Half of the fucking noise was coming from the CD drive!

Never looked back since, especially since I exclusively play on PC now.

I held onto it for a long time, but two years ago I switched to digital. It’s more convenient to not need a disc. Plus most games don’t work with only the disc only nowadays.

Keep living the dream with physical editions!

Unk Adams

Banned
Always digital. In fact, I used to install my Xbox 360 games to the HDD not only because loading times were better, but because it cut down on the noise from the console. Half of the fucking noise was coming from the CD drive!

Never looked back since, especially since I exclusively play on PC now.

Noisy disc drives are a thing of the past. Ever since the 360, like you said, you had the option to install games. Even most PS3 games forced you to install the physical disc to the console in order to play. All consoles now require you to install the game to your console from the disc in order to play it so the disc drive is silent.

Codes 208

I have a digital PS5, a gaming pc and a switch.

only one of these three can play physical titles and even then I rarely do. So no?

Excess

Noisy disc drives are a thing of the past. Ever since the 360, like you said, you had the option to install games. Even most PS3 games forced you to install the physical disc to the console in order to play. All consoles now require you to install the game to your console from the disc in order to play it so the disc drive is silent.
Yes, I know. It definitely began to trend that way, but you still needed the disc to play, and I eventually just wanted the convenience of not needing it. I feel that unless you collect games, there isn't much of a point to get physical. Some say, "you don't really own those games", but most older games will eventually become emulated anyway. Currently, you can actually play emulated PS3 and X360 games, and the same will be for the games you play today in 10 or 20 years time. There will always be a way to play the games you love.

Now, I understand we could split hairs on this all day, so all I'm saying is I don't care enough to need physical copies, that's all.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yep I do but I goota admit since I got a fiber connexion digital is really appealing.So if I can't find way cheaper digital I usually go disk version.But using the euro/canadian $ conversion I usually buy there.

Jaybe

If I think I might ‘one play through and done it’, then physical (either new or used) to be able to resell it. Makes playing a game cost me only $0 to $10 or so from the difference. Also I’ll ask for physical copies as gifts.

kyussman

I'm still physical right now,but I haven't jumped to next gen yet.
I'm considering going all digital on XSX....may stay physical with PS5 but I'm undecided tbh.

rolandss

Yep, I always go physical over digital. When I do get digital its usually when there's a big discount event on, but new releases always physical as its much cheaper where I live (Australia).

I know I do, especially if the game is hot trash. I can go ahead and sell it, get some of my money back, and by putting a used copy of the game into circulation, if somebody buys it, that's money that the developers and publishers never see. Very cathartic.

If a game is Trash you can get a Full Refund on Steam and Microsoft Store. Both companies uses the same refund policy. Unlike Sony, you can't get a refund if you download the game.

Physical for financial reasons. By buying physical, when I finished Resident Evil Village and sold the game afterwards, I actually turned a small profit from selling the game, the steelcase, and preorder DLC. If I had bought the game digitally, I'd be out $60. Going the physical route, I actually ended up making a tiny amount of money once I beat the game and sold it.

MrS

Banned
Yeah, digital only is for clowns. Cheaper, delivered to your door and can trade it in for 50%+ of its value.

Last edited:

SegaShack

It kind of sucks that once the servers for this gen go offline, the discs will be worthless due to needing day one patches and what not.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Obviously, I prefer to own my games.

It kind of sucks that once the servers for this gen go offline, the discs will be worthless due to needing day one patches and what not.
That is not true. 99,9% of physical games can be played totally offline, don't spread misinformation, day one patch are not mandatory.
However, yes, when server goes offline your digital games are lost forever.

Last edited:

SegaShack

Obviously, I prefer to own my games.

That is not true. 99,9% of physical games can be played totally offline, don't spread misinformation, day one patch are not mandatory.
However, yes, when server goes offline your digital games are lost forever.
It all depends on the game. If you are into AAA games it's certainly not 99.9% like you claim.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
On switch yes. It's obsolete on any other console, because how everything has to be downloaded anyway. The only good thing about disc version is the ability to sell then anyway, games loose so much value quickly.

Only Nintendo seem to be worth collecting for

UnNamed

Banned
Physical, but only because you can resell them. But nowadays they are just plastic cases, and when you find a huge deal with digital, there's no point to go physical. This is my last gen with physical.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I went all digital years ago, somewhere around 2015, 2016.

I was one of those who swore I would stay physical forever. Digital sales and a robbery changed my mind. Also right before this happened I started using streaming services and buying digital movies.

The few games I get day one is offset with those I get on sale. And for sales, I dont consciously say "eh... I'll wait for a sale" its just by the time I realize I dont have the game...its on sale, lol.

Last edited:

TonyK

I'm sure I read these exact topic with exact OP and answers some time ago. I even checked date to be sure it was not the same.

dcx4610

Only for the Xbox and honestly just for certain types of games. I mostly play on PC but for some games or older games, I like having a console version. Since the Xbox is the best backwards compatible system, I get a physical copy as a "backup" and something tangible to the digital version on PC. Also, games like Guitar Hero or anything with a license like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, those games have already been pulled digitally. I want physical copies of those games.

Still, for indie, sports or quick pop in and out games, I'll get those digitally unless there's something special about a certain version or if it doesn't have a digital version.

So yeah, there's a lot of double dipping going on but I like having a shelf of games and options. I'd say digital makes more sense for most people these days due to space and convenience but if you are the type who likes to collect, trade or sell off stuff you don't play anymore, physical still has a purpose.

ViolentP

I haven't purchased a physical game for use since the PS3. Even now if I find any in storage I immediately try to sell them. I simply don't find video games to be worth the physical space they occupy.

Last edited:
It really depends. I have both the XSX and S. It makes sense for me to game games digitally now or I won't be able to play them on my XSS.

Id always get Nintendo games physical though. Mostly because they hold their value and Nintendo consoles have poor infrastructure and will unlikely keep purchased digital games download able well into the future.

Alphagear

For AAA titles at full cost YES.

Only digital games I buy when they are on offer or simply never released in physical format.

Play the game and keep it in my collection or otherwise trade in for another game.

Seeing the cost of PS5 games that's even more likely now. Not paying 70 pounds for a digital game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom