• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone else still prefer to buy console games physically?

KiteGr

GPQpt6D.jpg
these came in the other day

kyussman

Is anyone else physical partly out of paranoia,lol.....I think that's also why I've held out from digital the last few years.I've heard horror stories of people loosing their accounts and consequently all the games linked to them.Now I'm sure in those cases the people have probably done something shitty to get their accounts banned but it still plays in the back of my mind.

supernova8

Banned
If it's some low-price indie game (let's say $20 or less, plus with those games it's usually only available digitally)) then I'll probably get it digital but if it's $60 then I'm getting it physical because ... I actually don't know why but it feels odd when I have the option to get it physical.

Especially games like FIFA, I know for a fact I'm going to put it down after a year so I will get it physical so that I can trade it in/sell it on eBay or something. Even if the trade-in/used selling price is shit, it's still better than the big fat zero I'd get if I bought it digital.

Last edited:

NinjaBoiX

I used to be all physical but now I’m 90% digital.

Unless you need to have the latest game as soon as it comes out, you’ve got a pretty solid chance of being able to download most games on a store sale for cheaper than you could buy physically.

Plus, the convenience factor is a big consideration for me.

DanEON

Now with the new $70 price, buying physical makes even more sense. Buy, play, sell. So I can play day one and don't need to wait for any promo

ZywyPL

Banned
I'm 100% digital. Physical copies became irrelevant when the games started to require not just partial but full game installs, day one patches, sometimes even the disc contains just some part of the full game and the rest needs to be downloaded anyway, and so on, there's really no benefit other than being able to resell the game if you don't think you'll ever want to play it again.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'd buy a physical copy of my very favorite games, If they were developed completely on disc. I did that for a short time - buy two copies of my favorite games - one digital, one collectible/break-in-case-of-emergency copy.

There's just no point anymore.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Still prefer ? Did I missed the revolution or something.

Yup physical all the way. Buy the game day 1, sell it once played.
You can't do that on Steam.

xrnzaaas

I prefer buying physical copies, but it's not always the better choice for me when there's a big digital sale and the physical price isn't dropping. I buy retail copies whenever I can, but it's not some rule to always go retail.

Last edited:

KiteGr

I like collecting my games as much as I like playing them.
You can't make a collection out of licenses.

Arimer

When i have the option of physical I do. Because sometimes it saves hard drive space. But also because with digital you never own it. AT any point in time they can take that away. Once everything goes digital video game collecting is done. That's my fear.

I started to collect physical discs again this generation. Few reasons...

I like the way they look.
I like going to the store, getting the game and having something to hold
I like bringing the game to my friend's house to play it
I like letting my friends or wife borrow it to play
The recent scare about shutting down digital stores put things into perspective for me
The fact that some games get taken down because contracts run out.
Can sell the game when I'm tired of it or get some money back if I hated it.

Moses85

Sure and I always will! Finished this fu**cking RE8 and was lucky to get it sold directly for 70€ (Steelbook)

MiguelItUp

I definitely do, hell, there are quite a few that still do.

Physical games, to me, is what make consoles stand out from PCs. So, I'd prefer to continue to go physical there, and digital on PC.

Not to mention if you're paying the same price for something that's physical or digital, I'd always rather go physical to have something I can hold. If digital was cheaper (and it SHOULD be), that could be another thing that'd sway me.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I used to. Then I went pure digital, but now I'm just subscription services only. If the game isn't on GP or PS Now then it's not getting any of my time. Buying games is so last decade.

Top Bottom