• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Horizon forbidden west looks next gen or current gen?

Does HW FW looks next gen or current Gen?

• Next Gen

• Current Gen

Results are only viewable after voting.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Are we still pretending there's generations any more?

Let it go. You all own computers that are slightly better than the last computer and Nintendo is doing whatever it feels like.

Old Empire.

Horizon Forbidden west gameplay trailer is out, do you guys think it looks next gen or current gen?

Personally, i think it looks next gen for some of the aspects, eg. Characters model and facial animation, Subsurface scattering. Lighting. But the game is still heavily limited by PS4 engine. Ps5 is just brute forcing the ps4 game.

How do you guys think?

Visually it's stunning., i would say next gen, but performance may still be 30 fps? Either way best looking game shown so far.

The visuals looks pretty but if it's running at a last gen frame rate, can you really consider it next gen? Guerrilla should really consider speaking up further about this considering Twitter is having a field day with 30 FPS right now.

RAIDEN1

It looked good yes, but watching the preview of it I didn't get that sense of shut up just take my money....(I haven't even got round to getting into the 1st one yet...)

The visuals looks pretty but if it's running at a last gen frame rate, can you really consider it next gen? Guerrilla should really consider speaking up further about this considering Twitter is having a field day with 30 FPS right now.

30FPs will always be used to push visuals. You will see more 30FPs games in the future unless you game on PC.

Those people complain about 30FPs are going to have a really bad time.

Last edited:
30FPs will always be used to push visuals. You will see more 30FPs games in the future unless you game on PC.

I game on PC so it isn't a problem for me. If I played on consoles, I'd be pretty myth considering both of the two consoles boasted about 60 to 120fps with next gen visuals but yet still releasing them at 30fps. I've always said though, if you care more about frame rate then consoles aren't really the ideal platform to play on.

Rea

I believe that going forward, every game will have performance mode 60fps and fidelity 30fps on both series X and PS5.
I have a strong feeling that HZ FW will also have 60fps performance mode. The demo is on 30fps because they wanted to showcase the game as pretty as possible. Like RnC.

assurdum

Banned
Horizon Forbidden west gameplay trailer is out, do you guys think it looks next gen or current gen?

Personally, i think it looks next gen for some of the aspects, eg. Characters model and facial animation, Subsurface scattering. Lighting. But the game is still heavily limited by PS4 engine. Ps5 is just brute forcing the ps4 game.

How do you guys think?
I think you have drunk something to see this game limited by the PS4...

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Rea

Valentino

Definitely current trend, I mean gen…

n7VaYsO.png
See I don't really know what comes after this. What more does everyone want?
I see next gen more as a fine tuning gen. But after some time I can't deny it could get even better without me realising it.

NahaNago

Not really sure. At times I think this definitely looks next gen and then I'm left thinking this is just a better looking version of a ps4 game. We don't even know yet what the ps4 version looks like yet. I mean they pretty much started working on this game right after making horizon zero dawn so that was the base form for the game so now they have all this time to polish the graphics, animation, and combat since then when creating this world.

and then someone reminds me of last of us 2 and now I'm left wondering if horizon actually surpasses that game. Definitely not in the creation of the people of horizon's world.

All of those fishes being so close to land in such quantities seemed really weird to me though.

Last edited:
I game on PC so it isn't a problem for me. If I played on consoles, I'd be pretty myth considering both of the two consoles boasted about 60 to 120fps with next gen visuals but yet still releasing them at 30fps. I've always said though, if you care more about frame rate then consoles aren't really the ideal platform to play on.

Well I game on PC but always have consoles to play exclusive games on them. I wouldn't exactly use framerate to classify a game as last gen if the visuals are nowhere near that level.

I believe that going forward, every game will have performance mode 60fps and fidelity 30fps on both series X and PS5.
I have a strong feeling that HZ FW will also have 60fps performance mode. The demo is on 30fps because they wanted to showcase the game as pretty as possible. Like RnC.

Maybe so far Sony 1st party games have offered peformance modes. My guess as to why they showed 30FPs is because it's the best looking mode. Doesn't mean there isn't a 60FPs option like some people are assuming. We have to wait and see what modes they will confirm.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So Rachet and Clank did nothing for you ? I still think Rachet and clank looks better then this and this is holy fuck good looking .
It's Ratchet & Clank and as great as it looks with all the things going on with the rift dimensions.
Those are not obvious at first glance, if I was to show my brother for example, he wouldn't get it even with the worlds changing around Ratchet.
That stuff would go straight over his head as nothing, like the new Guilty Gear.
to him that looks like Street Fighter 2 & is dated
The last Ratchet looked like a Pixar movie and so does this one.

Banned
looks like current gen with the draw distance turned up.

it won't look drastically different on PS4 Pro

it also has no next gen features like RayTracing

Guilty_AI

Game looks good and a step above the previous one, but in the showcase you can clearly see a lot of limitations and "optimizations" that I at least wouldn't expect to see in the new hardware (especially considering the game wasn't running at native 4k nor had any RT).
Stuff like LOD appearing right in front of the character, debris disappearing as soon as they touch the ground, low-poly water, agressive pop-ins, its all things that scream to me this was developed to wring out a ps4, not to take advantage of a new gen console.

All in all, i don't expect the ps4 version to be much different from what we saw, and maybe the ps5 will have some further improvements.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It was a showcase, so they upped the visual ante by showing it in 30 FPS. Those people on Twitter will go real quiet when Guerrilla shares details on the inevitable 60 FPS mode.

They are the same people who were saying that the debut trailer is CGI, and the game won't look that good. Sony doesn't have to pay any attention to them.

Last edited:

J3nga

It looks good either way, next-gen term is washed out in my opinion, like what are the aspects that define next-gen? Maybe let's wait for a release and make any conclusions then, TLOU2 2018 E3 gameplay had more wow than what we actually got, not saying real thing looks way way worse, but slightly worse.

Rikkori

Only fanboys pretend this is a next-gen game, hence the poll numbers because of the forum's demographics. Not only is it a literal cross-gen game without separate dedicated versions (ala Mordor), so that should lay it to rest, but rendering-wise there's absolutely nothing that they're doing that's special or new to the new consoles.

Something like Metro Exodus which redid their entire lighting system and added state of the art RT solution to their game is WAY more next-gen than HZD 1.5.

HFW still looks great but it's delusional to say it's a next-gen game.

Shubh_C63

Definitely.
I have fond memories of HZD night time graphics (that moon rays) but I bet looking back it won't be that impressive compared to what this will offer.

Combat, still iffy.
Needs Arkham takedown mechanics for melee combatants. and please less reliance on perfect aim shots (which this gameplay trailer did). So I am hopeful.

it looks beyond PS4 but disappointing for PS5. well, i mean it's not surprising how it looks based on the specs but for a next gen console it's not that impressive.

Stuart360

Wish there was a middle ground option. The game looks good but very cross gen. The comparison vid side by side shows this imo.
Demon's Souls, and Ratchet both look considerably better imo.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Looks like a 3rd person adventure game that runs from the same blueprint as the ones we've been playing forever.

Graphics look nice. Would prefer worse graphics but 60fps.

Last edited:

Zuzu

To me it seemed somewhat half way between current and next gen. There were a number of things I didn't find impressive. For example, I wasn't impressed by the fuzziness around her hair and the fur on her clothes. I thought the surface reflections of the water (not under the water) looked pretty average at times. The terrain deformation wasn't that great, heck Sega Rally on the 360/PS3 had arguably better terrain deformation than that. The environmental destruction was disappointing compared to a game like Control because the bits and pieces disappeared almost immediately after an object was destroyed. The foliage wasn't as interactive as it should be either. But there lots of very impressive graphical features as well.

Amiga

Ps5 is just brute forcing the ps4 game.

this is said about backwards compatible games that are not made with PS5 in mind. HSFW needs to scale all content to PS4 but it still made to take advantage of PS5. the detailed character models in the demo are made with the new hardware in mind. while on the PS4 they designed the textures based on the hardware limit.

GHG

Only fanboys pretend this is a next-gen game, hence the poll numbers because of the forum's demographics. Not only is it a literal cross-gen game without separate dedicated versions (ala Mordor), so that should lay it to rest, but rendering-wise there's absolutely nothing that they're doing that's special or new to the new consoles.

Something like Metro Exodus which redid their entire lighting system and added state of the art RT solution to their game is WAY more next-gen than HZD 1.5.

HFW still looks great but it's delusional to say it's a next-gen game.

I've been playing metro exodus EE for the last couple of weeks on PC and based on what we've seen so far I think Horizon Forbidden West looks better. And that's saying something because I think Metro EE looks bonkers a lot of the time.

Metro Exodus redid their lighting system but everything else remained the same. The environments lack detail and density. The lighting may be more "accurate" than what we see in Horizon but that's just one element of the final output and taking everything into account Horizon is much more striking visually.

If even Vasto Vasto can take a moment to be rational then I would have expected everyone else to but apparently not.

There is nothing next gen about it. Lighting and shadows are last gen. Textures seem high res but then you can find insanely high res skyrim textures on nexus mods. Animations are great I guess but similar ones can be found on current gen games.

• Empathy

Raonak

Banned
Having ray tracing doesn't automatically make a game look better. Does Minecraft having RT make it more next gen? No.

Horizon has a heavily stylized look which is partly what makes it look so good. Every scene in the game is a vibrant wallpaper.

Rea

I think you have drunk something to see this game limited by the PS4...
Do you think that this game is fully optimized for ps5? Or this is the most we will get out of ps5? Hmm, i don't think so. I think that there are alot more potentials in what PS5 can do, which we haven't seen yet. RnC and this game is just scratching the surface. When engine like UE5 that will take full advantage of PS5 that Sony studios will use in the future games, the difference will be huge.

MastaKiiLA

Can any current gen consoles run the game as-is? No. So it's next-gen.

Cynical though they may be at times, DF spent almost their entire video laying flowers at PS4's grave, because HFW as shown is well beyond what it's capable of. It's going to see a drop in both resolution and detail to make it work.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Anyone who thinks this looks current gen has no business talking about graphics because they evidently have no clue what they are talking about.

Its not about the presence or absence of single effects, its not about the size of the textures, its not about frame-rate, its everything that goes into the construction of the image holistically.

Current gen with bells and whistles. Still won't be seeing next gen unti 2-3 years time. R&C withstanding. Sadly it won't be coming to PS5, but the next Elder Scrolls will be a bench mark. Will we flawlessly walk into a dungeon with no loading screens, or will we get the same random model from the game rotating s we open the door, recycled from Skyrim.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Looks like a souped up current gen still. Probably the best looking game so far though. Just not blowing me away like other gens. Which is expected.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
How do you define current gen and next gen? Grappling hooks? The character being a source of light?
I don’t even know what “next gen” would look like considering the current gen is less than a year on the market. Who the heck is already thinking about what next gen will look like? Obviously it won’t be this!

MastaKiiLA

There is nothing next gen about it. Lighting and shadows are last gen. Textures seem high res but then you can find insanely high res skyrim textures on nexus mods. Animations are great I guess but similar ones can be found on current gen games.
You're saying this now, but will you say the same thing after E3, or in 2022, when HFW and R&C are still at or near the top of the class for visuals? You do realize that this game is made by a dev known for setting visual benchmarks, and it has the financial backing of a Sony AAA, right? If you're a console-only gamer, then consider realigning your expectations, because while we will see visuals improve on the console side, HFW is around what you should expect from a good looking PS5/XSX game for the next couple of years. That's the reality of the situation.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Show me a PS4 game that looks like that.
I think if you showed Last of Us 2 and the most recent God of War alongside Horizon Forbidden West to someone who wasn't in the know (ie your average gamer who doesn't read Neogaf etc.), they would probably think they are all in the same gen.

Whether that means Horizon looks last gen or GoW/TLoU2 are just really good looking last gen games (ie outliers) is kinda subjective.

I suppose it's what usually happens, i.e. the early next-gen games start off looking a bit better than the very best last-gen games, and then a few years later we get mindblowing next-gen games, and then that same cycle repeats when the next-next-gen comes.

So yeah while I wasn't blown away, it is a very very nice looking game and makes me excited for what we will see in another 2 to 3 years (especially once they stop releasing stuff on PS4).

Last edited:
Top Bottom