• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't Put Off Going To Your Dentist.

Erdrick

So, since COVID locked things down almost all over this last year, I've been out of work since mid-March. I have had really good insurance via work that covers 85% of most costs for all dentist related needs. That ran out as of the end of April 2020. Naturally, I had a broken tooth start to act up and up until October, I figured I would wait until I was back at work this coming year. (Hopefully...)

Then around November and this past Christmas, my face begun to swell on my right side. I spent my Christmas morning feeling like I had been punched repeatedly in the face. I figured I'd just take some Advil and a hot water pack or ice pack to help lower the swelling.

Then I woke up yesterday and I could feel it towards my right eye.

That was enough. No insurance or not, I needed to do something about this, since it would likely end in a hospital visit if I let it go further. I called my dentist and made an appointment for today.

I've got tons of anxiety towards the dentist as it is, even though mine is top-notch. I just hadn't been in a year and a few months so I was unsure of the damage that would have been done in the interm.

As it happens, my dentist (Who got his dental licence the year I was born, so he's definitely got the experience.) is off on leave so I saw a new dentist today. She was very good, as expected, and made very certain that I did not incur any pain that was unexpected.

My tooth (Or what was left of it) was abscessed and infected, hence the swollen of my entire right face. I was a little worried how things would go with Covid and how close they'd have to be around me with no mask or anything. But they had my temperature taken upon entry, and all the staff either had masks or full-face shields who worked on me. Tooth was pulled after having my face frozen sufficiently enough, and I was given a prescription for antibiotics to help quell the infection.

Once I have insurance again, I can go and have more work done (Like a new tooth.) but for the time being, I am going in a week for a follow up. It actually wasn't as expensive as I feared with no insurance either.

Just make sure to see your dentist on some kind of regular basis. You never realize how quickly things can turn sour if you neglect stuff. No joke.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going back to cooking some mashed potatoes for the next week or so.

dr_octagon

Banned
Erdrick, hope you make a speedy recovery

I know people who have gotten root canals done and suffered with pain, due to the nerves around the jaw and face.

I'm gonna book a check up with my dentist soon.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Next month it's time for my semi-annual regular checkup/cleaning and I've been debating going or skipping. I don't expect anything to be wrong but don't want to risk covid. When I went in August they did the same things you mentioned in your post as far as wearing masks and shields, having you wait in your car, etc... however, now there's a new strain out there that's 70% easier to spread. Hmm...

Last edited:

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Dentists, Mechanics and Accountants. Always cost me money.

quickwhips

My dentist retired during Covid and I need my wisdom teeth pulled, and also two of my fillings fell out last week.

I''m a mess rn tbh
Find a dentist or I can pull them. I mean how hard could it be they aren't a real doctor and I've seen little shop of horror on dvd a few times.

demigod

im too scared to go even for cleaning
Cuz you're a lil cunt. Speaking of cleaning, I should go get mine. Haven't had a cleaning since 2018.

Which tooth did you had pulled, I'm guessing its a molar. OP is right though, you really shouldn't put off seeing the dentist. Root canals with a crown can cost anywhere from $1300 to $1900. Implants with a crown cost at least $3,000. And trust me when I say this, you don't want to wear partials.

Delf

Banned
I once put off a toothache for so long that one night it hit me, like a ton of bricks. Absolutely debilitating pain.

Couldn't see straight, vomiting, dizzy, every molecule in my buddy throbbed with pain.

Grown man and had to call my mom (who lived the closes to my work) to pick me up and take me to the hospital. I could barely walk out of work to her car.

Emergency ain't the dentist. They gave zero fucks about a little spritz of topical lanocaine. GIANT giant needle through my gums into the back of my jaw of some high power numbing shit.
10sec later it was like I had no bottom jaw.

Since then I've had countless work done. I have shitty genes when it comes to teeth and grind them. Take care of your teeth. Double down on it.

Two medical things I always say.
1. Treat your teeth like you would treat your most prize possession
2. Accutane is a god send. I waited till my 30's to have absolutely flawless skin. 6 months of hell for a lifetime of perfect skin I recommend to everyone.

AmuroChan

Don't put off going to your dentist and don't get lazy when it comes to daily maintenance. Floss, use a water pik, and brush after every meal. I wish I could've told my 20 year old self that. Unfortunately, I didn't have a good routine going until my 30s. By that time I already had a lot of gum loss and my nerves were exposed, which made my teeth super sensitive. Unfortunately, gum does not grow back and so all I can do now is maintain as best as I can and don't let things get worse.

Calcium

Banned
Fuck, I hate being reminded that dentists exist. I haven't been to a dentist in like 16 years. I take care of my shit, though, so as far as I know I don't have any problems. Whenever I drag my ass to see one they'll probably be mortified, but I'll keep living in ignorance until something hurts even a little. Yes, I am stubborn.

borborygmus

I just bought some off Amazon based on this post alone.

Thank you.
Hope it works for you. The MK7 form did it for me but I don't advise taking it very regularly as with most supplements. You'll want to front load it until you get the benefits (maybe take it consecutively for a few days, then take a day off) but long term taper off into a low maintenance dose at some point. I only take it like twice a week now(100mcg) and sometimes I just skip entire weeks.

I've had great success with supplementation by making sure not to take too much. More is usually not better.

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
well_coconut-articleLarge.jpg

Dural

I honestly feel like dentists are like chiropractors and are always trying to sell you on something. They convinced my wife that she needed invisaline, $5000 later and she stopped wearing them because they hurt and now they want to do a whole new set. I hadn’t been to the dentist for 5 years, went last summer and there was nothing wrong. Going every six months is a scam, can’t see how anybody could think you need that if you brush daily.

teezzy

Banned
I honestly feel like dentists are like chiropractors and are always trying to sell you on something. They convinced my wife that she needed invisaline, $5000 later and she stopped wearing them because they hurt and now they want to do a whole new set. I hadn’t been to the dentist for 5 years, went last summer and there was nothing wrong. Going every six months is a scam, can’t see how anybody could think you need that if you brush daily.

Some people have weaker teeth than others. Some people have different diets than others. Some people's teeth grow in differently causing problems later down the line. Best to have someone keep tabs imho

JSoup

Banned
Dealing with the possibility of developing cancer in my gums. Apparently wasn't uncommon on my grandmothers side of the family and I'm finally showing symptoms.
Daily use of a hygienists brush and a dental tray, a year later I'm only in minor discomfort every now and then, with only slight bleeding here or there.
Through all of this, I've discovered the magic that is peroxide mouth rinse. Not that Crest whatever garbage, actual peroxide mouth wash, active ingredient with as little watering down as possible, drop an extra $10 for it. I swear I can goddamn feel my mouth getting cleaner with each swish.

Last edited:
I haven't been to a dentist in 16 years and I have had zero issues. I am unsure if I got lucky, have good genetics, or maybe dentistry is a scam.

Last edited:

borborygmus

I haven't been to a dentist in 16 years and I have had zero issues. I am unsure if I got lucky, have good genetics, or maybe dentistry is a scam.
You might have the Salivarius K12 and/or M18 strains of oral bacteria. People who have them don't get cavities. You can actually buy them as a supplement. I haven't tried it though since I probably have them as I'm unable to ever get cavities.

You might have the Salivarius K12 and/or M18 strains of oral bacteria. People who have them don't get cavities. You can actually buy them as a supplement. I haven't tried it though since I probably have them as I'm unable to ever get cavities.

I'm actually unclear on what cavities are. I guess they are holes in you teeth caused by something? I feel like a caveman for being over 30 and not knowing this but when I've tried to research it I've found the information out there to be dry and unhelpful, which is why I question the core concept.

borborygmus

I'm actually unclear on what cavities are. I guess they are holes in you teeth caused by something? I feel like a caveman for being over 30 and not knowing this but when I've tried to research it I've found the information out there to be dry and unhelpful, which is why I question the core concept.

A cavity is a rotting hole in your tooth.

Everything you would call "rotten" is a microbial process. Cavities are damage caused to the tooth, typically starting on the outer later, because stuff on or between your teeth starts to rot. Rot = fermentation = microbes are eating the thing that's rotting. Pathogenic microbes will eat food particles in your mouth and produce damaging substances that erode and soften your teeth, and eventually microbes will start eating your teeth. Sometimes they build a biofilm, which starts off as plaque and becomes tartar once hardened. A biofilm is a defensive matrix housing a microbial colony. Usually it involves calcium, and what vitamin K2 does is it makes your body draw calcium and move it where it should be (your bones), so it can disrupt tartar that way.

Sugar causes cavities because it's easy for microbes to eat. If you've baked bread with yeast, you'll remember that sugar is sometimes added to the yeast to make it more potent. Sugar is also acidic and erodes your teeth directly which gives the microbes a head start.

Brushing your teeth uses abrasive force to shred and remove food particles. The silica in toothpaste is one of the main things that makes it abrasive. Fluoride is antimicrobial but it also contributes to the mineral homeostasis of your teeth so in small doses it prevents them from breaking down. Personally I'm sensitive to fluoride and don't use it and I still never get cavities.

Probiotics are like mercs. In the right numbers, they'll compete against pathogenic microbes. Some of them produce good substances like short chain fatty acids in your intestines, and even vitamins like biotin.

edit: fix me no write gud

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
Haven’t been to Dentist in years (after a cleaning left my teeth sensitive and cost me too much with insurance), until last year (2020) I noticed a giant hole in my wisdom teeth. I despise Dentists but decided this may need some attention so I pushed myself to get an appointment. That same week I had the most excruciating pain I’ve ever had from my teeth, I couldn’t move and was on the floor screaming in pain in fetal like position. My wife had to run to the local CVS for all kinds of pain meds. The pain was so much, I took the meds and was knocked out to sleep. Now, this may have been triggered by me being extremely exhausted and under a lot of stress with COVID job problems (lost job and was lucky to have switched over to wife’s insurance in 2019).

I go to get cleaning and after initial cleaning Dentist says I need deep cleaning but before that we need to remove the tooth with the cavity. Then she tells me she doesn’t do surgery and that I need to find one then come back. Now with all my anxiety with Dentists, I’m thinking I pushed myself to come here and now you want me to make another appointment for somewhere else, and then make another appointment with you again? With this on my mind though I’m already stressed and starting to second guess doing anything.

I pushed myself to call a surgeon that week but here is where it gets awful, no one has open appointments for 2 MONTHS! The one I did get through says I need a consult but the surgeon ONLY WORKS ON MONDAYS! So I would need to wait over a month for just a consult then I would have to make another appointment for surgery on another Monday a month into the future. I’m like seriously??? Is this really how this all works??? I said fuck this and gave up on that surgeon and the entire idea.

Few weeks past and I’m having a few aches, bleeding when brushing but nothing too bad, so I decided maybe COVID rush is over and I can get appointments. A family friends daughter just had her teeth removed, so I asked them to send me info on the doctor. I call the place and they set me up a 3 weeks (so I’m already not feeling it now because of the wait). But here is the big caveat, I have to pay out of my pocket even with my insurance, at first I hesitated but I setup the appointment anyways. Next day arrives, thought it over and I decided to cancel because I can’t afford to pay out of pocket when my money is needed during this COVID period for more important things coming up or may come up.

Fast forward to now and I’ve still haven’t done anything and honestly if this wasn’t such a pain to do I would’ve gone through with it within that week. I would’ve expected my main dentist to set this all up for me without the hassle but it must be my ignorance on how this works in dentistry (I thought general doctors setup all your appointments like bloodwork for you etc, I haven’t been there in years either so idk).

This thread has reminded me now though and maybe I’ll call again this week if I feel up to it.

Last edited:

notseqi

Neighbour and good mate is a dentist and always did the work on me, his work-in dental hygienist did the already partially covered deep clean for mates rates on the excess pay, good stuff.
Then I moved to Italy where dental isn't covered by the general insurance, you had to pay some charlatan to do shoddy work with his prehistoric contraptions, so I went back to my mate in germany when I needed to have work done.

Somehow a tooth got infected and I had to travel to Denmark before I could visit my dentist and it was the most excruciating pain I have ever experienced, which dragged over four days and finally swung me on accepting copious amounts of painkillers.
While this was not something I could have foreseen and prevented it reminds me to take every check-up appointment and drop in to the dentist anytime something feels off, it's free after all (I'm back under the comfy blanket of first world health insurance). Some pain I can endure but the deafening and defeating pain of one shitty little tooth acting up because I was a little overworked and tired I cannot.

DogofWar

Due to everyone scaring me about how a hole in your tooth is a pain equivalent to a kick in the balls my entire childhood I did not think much of it when I had a slight pain in one of my teeth everytime I ate something harder to chew than pasta. For probably 7-8 years. There was this gap between two teeth and I just used floss to get all the food that stuck between them out after every meal.

Then one day, 5 years overdue, a routine dental control revealed that it was in fact entirely rotten and I should get rid of it. And when they did, I felt so much better. It was like a permanent morning coffee. I had been sick all the time, could barely work and had no energy to do anything even if I wasn't sick. That fucking tooth and the bacteria inside it dragged my physical health down so much it affected my mental health as well.

So yes, read the title, don't put off going to your dentist. Those teeth are real bitches if they aren't healthy.

And for the ones scared of the dentist, it did not hurt until they reached the gums with the drill. :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

notseqi

Due to everyone scaring me about how a hole in your tooth is a pain equivalent to a kick in the balls
I'll gladly take a few field covering punts in me nads to avoid the kind of tooth pain I only felt once, trust me. I think I cried once or twice.

Blond

Banned
im too scared to go even for cleaning
The longer you hold off a cleaning the worse it’ll be, just saying. That being said, a Soniccare toothbrush and a consistent brushing schedule has made my trips extremely gentle and I can definitely vouch for their ability to clean.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I had my first root canal a few months ago. It wasn't too bad. The dude was pretty skilled and ample anesthesia was used.

Had a deep cleaning last week. They barely used any anesthesia at all. Was terrible. I have PTSD over it now

notseqi

The longer you hold off a cleaning the worse it’ll be, just saying. That being said, a Soniccare toothbrush and a consistent brushing schedule has made my trips extremely gentle and I can definitely vouch for their ability to clean.
Semi regular flossing reveals some shit I wouldn't spread on toast but greatest success has been with rotating different toothbrushes on a day to day basis. Got 1 rotating electrical, one long medium brush with those fine, singular hair and a small one with hard bristles, works a treat.

DogofWar

I'll gladly take a few field covering punts in me nads to avoid the kind of tooth pain I only felt once, trust me. I think I cried once or twice.

Oh I had an infected wisdom tooth once as well, it grew outwards rather than down so it even caused a wound in my cheek.
That was really fucking bad indeed, that was equivalent to a kick in the balls but across all of my face, neck and back. For 3 days until the antibiotics healed it. Not recommended either.

notseqi

equivalent to a kick in the balls but across all of my face, neck and back. For 3 days
Let's sum it up to being kicked in the balls for three days straight =D

One of my wisdom teeth was not holding up too well, only noticed when I had a bite on a piece of brown bread with seeds in it, bit down on one and split that tooth to the base but not hurting the root or anything else.
Glad those wisdom teeth have always been so very kind to me.

Soodanim

I’ve stepped up my game. I make time every evening to floss, water floss, and electric brush before bed. It makes a difference, especially on the days when I get sensitivity issues in one of my molars.

You only get one set of adult teeth, it’s best to look after them. Flossing can be long winded and fiddly, but I just stick on a podcast and get it done.

I’m pretty sure I need a filling for that molar I mentioned.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Haven’t been to Dentist in years (after a cleaning left my teeth sensitive and cost me too much with insurance), until last year (2020) I noticed a giant hole in my wisdom teeth. I despise Dentists but decided this may need some attention so I pushed myself to get an appointment. That same week I had the most excruciating pain I’ve ever had from my teeth, I couldn’t move and was on the floor screaming in pain in fetal like position. My wife had to run to the local CVS for all kinds of pain meds. The pain was so much, I took the meds and was knocked out to sleep. Now, this may have been triggered by me being extremely exhausted and under a lot of stress with COVID job problems (lost job and was lucky to have switched over to wife’s insurance in 2019).

I go to get cleaning and after initial cleaning Dentist says I need deep cleaning but before that we need to remove the tooth with the cavity. Then she tells me she doesn’t do surgery and that I need to find one then come back. Now with all my anxiety with Dentists, I’m thinking I pushed myself to come here and now you want me to make another appointment for somewhere else, and then make another appointment with you again? With this on my mind though I’m already stressed and starting to second guess doing anything.

I pushed myself to call a surgeon that week but here is where it gets awful, no one has open appointments for 2 MONTHS! The one I did get through says I need a consult but the surgeon ONLY WORKS ON MONDAYS! So I would need to wait over a month for just a consult then I would have to make another appointment for surgery on another Monday a month into the future. I’m like seriously??? Is this really how this all works??? I said fuck this and gave up on that surgeon and the entire idea.

Few weeks past and I’m having a few aches, bleeding when brushing but nothing too bad, so I decided maybe COVID rush is over and I can get appointments. A family friends daughter just had her teeth removed, so I asked them to send me info on the doctor. I call the place and they set me up a 3 weeks (so I’m already not feeling it now because of the wait). But here is the big caveat, I have to pay out of my pocket even with my insurance, at first I hesitated but I setup the appointment anyways. Next day arrives, thought it over and I decided to cancel because I can’t afford to pay out of pocket when my money is needed during this COVID period for more important things coming up or may come up.

Fast forward to now and I’ve still haven’t done anything and honestly if this wasn’t such a pain to do I would’ve gone through with it within that week. I would’ve expected my main dentist to set this all up for me without the hassle but it must be my ignorance on how this works in dentistry (I thought general doctors setup all your appointments like bloodwork for you etc, I haven’t been there in years either so idk).

This thread has reminded me now though and maybe I’ll call again this week if I feel up to it.
Man up. Don't end up dying from your skull rotting away to save a few bucks.

Dural

Some people have weaker teeth than others. Some people have different diets than others. Some people's teeth grow in differently causing problems later down the line. Best to have someone keep tabs imho

That's pretty much my point, they do a standard 6 month cleaning on everyone when not everyone needs that. The dentist acts like everyones teeth are the same when that's obviously not the case. My wife is 8 years younger than me and is religious about brushing her teeth multiple times per day and going to the dentist every 6 months. She now has a serious issue with receding gums and lines on her teeth from the brushing. My gums are perfect and I will go years without going to the dentist as I just don't see it as necessary.

BigBooper

That's pretty much my point, they do a standard 6 month cleaning on everyone when not everyone needs that. The dentist acts like everyones teeth are the same when that's obviously not the case. My wife is 8 years younger than me and is religious about brushing her teeth multiple times per day and going to the dentist every 6 months. She now has a serious issue with receding gums and lines on her teeth from the brushing. My gums are perfect and I will go years without going to the dentist as I just don't see it as necessary.
In my case, I have other reasons why I need to keep my teeth in check, but aside from that... A basic cleaning paying cash costs about 75% of what I pay for my annual dental insurance, not including xrays. The dental insurance plan covers two cleanings per year, including xrays, in addition to the other things covered. It doesn't make sense for me to not get two cleanings a year.

If you have dental insurance it makes sense to use it. I don't imagine dental insurance is necessary for everyone though so for some even this wouldn't balance.

Top Bottom