• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal has no ray tracing [at launch]

Doom Eternal executive producer and id software studio director, Marty Stratton, has confirmed that the game will not launch with real-time raytracing support. In an interview with Digital Foundry, the key exec said that the development team had merely done some initial testing and explorations with real-time raytracing about a year ago. However, putting time and resources into ray traced graphical frills was soon halted as reality and deadlines started to bite.
Stratton's key quote, when asked about real-time raytracing support in Doom Eternal was the following:

"So we actually haven't talked about that at all, and we quite frankly haven't spent a ton of time (on raytracing). The team basically did some initial implementation and explorations - about a year ago. But at that same time we had so much that we wanted to do on the game still."

The above makes it sound like it was purely time and resources which prevented id from implementing the eye catching new graphical tech. Stratton adds that the developers were keen to use real-time raytracing, being the "biggest fans of new tech," and it wasn't easy to get them to give up their efforts with the "shiny new toy". The Doom Eternal executive producer re-iterated that getting the game out on time was high on his priorities and added. Importantly, that it be of "the highest polished quality," when it is released.

Looking to the future, Stratton said his development team are now starting to find time to check out raytracing tech again. However, he teased the tech might not be used in just the most obvious ways in future productions - not just for reflections, lighting and shadows - which is interesting.
source
https://hexus.net/gaming/news/hardware/139220-doom-eternal-feature-real-time-raytracing-tech/

Translation: the tech is not ready yet.
Could be. Not that I really care about ray tracing.
But I find this very interesting
Looking to the future, Stratton said his development team are now starting to find time to check out raytracing tech again. However, he teased the tech might not be used in just the most obvious ways in future productions - not just for reflections, lighting and shadows - which is interesting.

Liftplus

Yea... raytracing, i dont think gtx 20xx fully support that tech. Didnt they say that full raytracing support will be in the next gen of GPUs?

MiguelItUp

It will come at some point, but I don't really care as I don't even have a GPU that supports Ray Tracing. So, my 1080 will still be very happy, lol. I can't wait to have a GPU that supports it though! I love getting to experience new tech. :messenger_sunglasses:

Night.Ninja

Banned
I don’t see why they didn’t eat until next gen, this game would have looked amazing. Not that it doesn’t look good steady

giphy.gif

Even if it doesn't, you can make a fake hdr using Reshade.
Just sayin.

PS4 baby. No reshade for me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Good, this is the right way to do it.

Make the game look fantastic with rasterization, then add RT after for those who want it.

Don't pull a Control, and sacrifice rasterization for an RT checkbox, so then the game looks dull in a lot of spots with generic texture work, etc., (even on high settings) with RT off.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Good news. Wasting even a minute on a feature that can only be utilized by a fraction of a percent of the market is just that: waste.

Top Bottom