• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

doomquake

Just watched that Doom 20th anniversary video with Romero and IGN guy..pretty great! And he name dropped brutal doom there too

SHL23

Banned
Ultimate Doom Episode 4 is so fucking hard. I always told me self i woudnt quick save during a level to beat it cause it's pussy. EP 4 fucking made me do it. FUCKING HARD

I can't speak for it with mods, but as I recall, it gets easier the further you go in. E4M1 is really stingy with health and armor, and E4M2 throws a Cyberdemon at you just when you think you're home free (although it's possible - pretty easy in fact, if I recall correctly - to telefrag it), but the rest ain't too bad.

vladdamad

Just started Doom I today, having finished System Shock 2 and deciding that I wanted more old-school first-person games. Now, normally I'm not a huge fan of shooters, and I booted this up expecting to see a historical curio, but as soon as I started playing, I was completely hooked.

Gameplay-wise, this is probably the most entertaining shooter I've ever played. I don't know how to describe it, but the way all the guns feel is perfect (especially the shotgun), and there's this wonderful sense of flow when you get a rhythm going, like you're this unstoppable killing machine. Maybe it's the fact that there's no Y-axis movement, but the simplified controls appeal to me for some reason.

I actually in complete shock at how much I'm enjoying this, this is the first shooter I've played where I'm loving the gameplay. Having said that, the level design seems to have taken a hit after the first nine levels (the first episode). It's still entertaining but the layout doesn't feel right for some reason. Hopefully it picks back up soon. In any case, looks like I'll be spending the next couple of days discovering this wonderful franchise!

I never really had too much problem with Episodes 2 and 3, but 1 is undeniably the highlight. id put their best foot forward, so to speak.

Doom 2 is also worth a look, but more as a platform for mods than for the actual game itself. The new monsters and added weapon (the Super Shotgun) are amazing, but despite having some good maps sprinkled throughout, the main campaign has a lot of tedious level design (particularly the second third of the game). Worth playing once, of course, but move on soon after.

SHL23

Banned
Doom is the best game ever. Exclude Episode 4 that Ultimate added. Doom 2 though... First 1/3 of the game is great. The rest is just confusing bullshit designed to show off the engine. There's a level with a big arrow in the ground telling you where to go cause the level is so fucking confusing. There's a level where you go through a teleporter to go to the most useless place. You guess oh well maybe there's somewhere else i gotta go. Nope. You go through the teleporter then go back through the same one and end up in a different place then where you first teleported. Then tricks n traps. Awful gimmicky level.

Doom 1 was a masterpiece

Doom 2 has garbage level design

Icefire1424

Ugh, that level with the arrow WAS painful. Remember getting stuck on that one for quite a long time.

I liked tricks and traps. Gimmicky, yes, but came of as a bit of a palette cleanser of sorts.

The later areas of Doom 2 have a level called Monster Condo and if you can't find a little bit of love in your withered hearts for that then you are truly lost :p

The name is excellent, but the map itself... dunno.

Also, it has a secret that locks permanently after 30 seconds, which is annoying. Although I've heard there's an amusing bug where, if you block the door that shuts at that time from closing, it'll rebound and forever go upward (at least until integer overflow or the game crashes). I can't seem to find evidence of this anymore, though.

G-Fex

I found that I get bored with the first half of Doom 2 maps now.

Later maps are to be appreciated.

Courtyard, Monster Condo, and yes even the Chasm

I finished TNT Evilution earlier today. I liked it overall, but it definitely was a little rough - although it was always pretty cool visually, there were a good deal of lame levels (probably more than Doom 2). I really liked the last stretch though. It never had any individual levels as cool as the heights of the first game's fourth episode or Living End from 2, but the last five or six levels were all really great. I'm super hyped to start Plutonia soon.

I'm also playing through Back to Saturn X with a friend with two lives each. It's fucking fantastic too (maybe actually my favorite set of Doom maps I've played so far, but this is the only unofficial wad I've touched), but man, we're totally stuck on map 20. Very cool stuff though. I had no idea Episode 2 was going to come out soon when I suggested we try out BTSX, but I think we'll probably find a different megawad to play before we move on to that one, just for the sake of variety.

Frenden

Banned
What are the current suggested tools for making wads? Linux/Windows preferably. Doing some research now, but I'd like y'all's informed opinion if possible (you seem like a knowledgeable lot :D).

Refyref

What are the current suggested tools for making wads? Linux/Windows preferably. Doing some research now, but I'd like y'all's informed opinion if possible (you seem like a knowledgeable lot :D).

If you just want to make a map, Doom Builder is probably the way to go. If you want to package a WAD/PK3 with some more stuff, you should probably use SLADE for that part.

G-Fex

Rottking showed me awesome pics of Sunder.

XUMIidQ.png

IZ8koXE.png

G-Fex

Sunder is probably the best designed mapset ever, and the fact it was just done by one guy is amazing, his monster placement is great, I can't say the progression on some of the maps are great but the look of them is amazing.

Precarious is an amazing looking map with it's floating castles.

I think I do want to get into slaughtermaps.

I might start with other things before Sunder though.

and as much as Minecraft folks think their game is the end all be all of design, They could NOT even accomplish such things that Doom mappers have.

All I know is everyone was hyping up Deus Vult a whole bunch, so I try it and find myself running into a meat wall of monsters charging at me and/or throwing a bajillion varying projectiles. It's not really my playstyle, sorry to say.

G-Fex

on a suggestion I downloaded cybersky by Eternal.

it's not as harsh but it's not exactly a walk on easy street.

There's really a lot that a slaughter player has to learn, crowd control, enemy priority and infighting and ammo usage apparently.

G-Fex

The latest version of sunder should be at idgames.

Now after yesterday's experience I have learned quite a lot about Slaughterish encounters and all sorts of DOOMed fights.

Fellow Doomers, I present to you.

kFphDJG.jpg

One Doomer's quest to become good at Slaughtermap goodness.

Now I wanted to do this for a while and after seeing Dime go through a good bit of Sunder it really just clicked with me how much I wanted to gain those type of skills to manuever and win my way through the most seemingly hopeless encounters with 1000+ doom monsters.

• I am not using any tutorials or guides to slaughter maps (if such a thing exists anyway)
  • Everything I have learned have been on my own or from watching KingDime's stream
  • I am on my own pretty much

My end goals will be Sunder, and the slaughterfest wads.

I Started with a suggestion by J4rio who is a TNT World record holder and supposedly did UV-max of Sunder.

I started with Cybersky. A single map wad by Eternal.

Yesterday I found this has a near push of 2000 monsters within it's hellish walls.

From the first fight, it's a slaughtermap alright.

This is more or less the beginning area.

So to start you load up on a SSG then plenty of ammo and rockets, drop down to this room with 4 giant pillars, a multi switch pillar with 4 switches and a archvile on one side, after a while I realized I needed to open all of them at once rather than deal with one cyberdemon , plus rather than try to kill the Archvile I get the cybers to kill him for me. It's quite easy after a while.

hitting a switch off the side of the room opens those two walls letting both mobs out, which I try to use cyberdemons to take care of them at the same time try to wear them down, it kinda works, well all 4 cybers clear the room anyway. Before going down the giant hallway there's a huge mob that telports out of nowhere and swarms me, it's easy to again distract them too cause the cybers are constantly shooting rockets at me so that's about 6+ rockets I have to dodge, that easily go right into the mob in the hallway.

Sad part is that since at most I get a rocket launcher in this starting room, I have to take a good amount of time and take out each cyberdemon, there's no real shortcut to take them out, no BFG yet. One at a time.

that hallway leads to more or less the heart of the map, giant hellish hallway, and it's insanely covered in enemies. On either pit on each side there must be at least 100+ pinkies, takes about 4-5 BFG shots or a LOT of rockets to clear them. And I had to take out both towers of Revenants that were going to cause me trouble.

Right towards the center is a split way, with imps on both sides, behind them a mastermind and a cyberdemon, this was the sweet part cause then after clearing the imps, it was more or less easy to re-create Gotcha! and got the mastermind and cyberdemon fighting.

After that every encounter has been either containable or a living hell. More or less I made a good amount of progress.

I really think me and this slaughter map stuff really clicked.

I even got to work on certain things that I've seen Dime do such as the 2 BFG shot that kills cyberdemons.

Basically you wait til it shoots it's 3 rockets and run right to it with 2 BFG shots, I managed to get it once yesterday.

QdBmJnq.gif

So yesterday I accomplished what seems to be fighting off multiple cyberdemons with BFG, puppet master tier of infighting which is a MUST for slaughter maps, and more or less closer to my goal.

That's about 1300 monsters with still 800 or so to go.

So after this single map, I might do another one or move on to either Hell Revealed, Scythe 1 and 2 or maybe Vanguard and Lunatic again.

I never thought it'd be in the slaughter community :p

here's the video of yesterdays game.

part 1
part 2

Also yes I did a lot of save scumming and reloading

I'm listening to a podcast where they're talking about player's refusal to run past enemies when a map design intends it to be your best option.

I personally think that the intent to run past enemies isn't something you can communicate well without it being very obvious, myself.

Well, it certainly doesn't help that running past enemies tends to be counter-productive to more methodical playstyles - and often times has you missing out on some important stuff if you're aiming for 100% kills or secrets.

Take MAP15: "The Twilight" from Plutonia. The simplest way to deal with the gauntlet that opens at the end (with the Spider Mastermind, tons of Chaingunners and some Mancubi) is to just foot it, nabbing the Megasphere along the way for some added insurance. You'll hit the one-way teleporter not too much worse for the wear, and be able to exit. However, doing this, given it's a one-way teleporter, means you're missing 100% kills for certain (even if infighting starts, there's no way all of those monsters are dying - given even the most favorable odds, at least one will remain, requiring you to shoot it), and you'll also miss the wall on the left side that lowers, revealing a second teleporter that takes you to the secret exit leading to MAP31: "Cyberden" and MAP32: "Go 2 It".

So yeah, I've generally adapted to a more methodical, pick-things-off-as-I-see-them playstyle, which would probably be incompatible with "okay, gotta go fast here" gameplay.

G-Fex

Nothing wrong with running past enemies, just make sure that they can't eventually get to you when you do.

2Fight was a pretty insane map.

I got this out of it

ibhSiCGiZXrgyJ.gif

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Woah, I just realised something...in 3 days, it'll be the 20th anniversary of the release of Doom II. I think I might get a thread ready for that one, like I did last year for the first game.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I want that. I want it all. I want instructions and parts ordering lists for everything needed to make a Cacodemon, Pinky, Imp with fireballs, Revenant and Marine.

Top Bottom