• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

just downloaded doom 3 and the expansion pack off steam the other day. wanted to play it again after reading the masters of doom

what is the best graphical mod for doom 3? any other essential mods out there?

Raptomex

just downloaded doom 3 and the expansion pack off steam the other day. wanted to play it again after reading the masters of doom

what is the best graphical mod for doom 3? any other essential mods out there?
I'm at work so I can't really get to any game sites. I believe there's an Ultimate HD mod that mixes the wulfen textures, siik mod, iron sights, better sound effects, etc. It's on ModDB. It's really cool. Perfected Doom 3 is also really cool and makes the game more challenging.

I'm at work so I can't really get to any game sites. I believe there's an Ultimate HD mod that mixes the wulfen textures, siik mod, iron sights, better sound effects, etc. It's on ModDB. It's really cool. Perfected Doom 3 is also really cool and makes the game more challenging.
Thanks bro i will download it now

G-Fex

So I decided to take my mapping to the serious level and try to put effort into a map 1 slot for my friends megawad project.

2yY0W6c.jpg

a2kNZ2B.jpg

WdgM1V4.jpg

G-Fex

Thanks, took me a while and a lot of well, basically inspiration from other maps.

Also it's a unintentional E1M7 ripoff.

So I decided to take my mapping to the serious level and try to put effort into a map 1 slot for my friends megawad project.
Ah, shame you hadn't mentioned this two days ago; I'd have told you to give making an entry for 32in24-14 a shot :V

Speaking of, that certainly was a thing that happened yesterday. Personally, I spent a not-insignificant portion of it doing this:

Screenshot_Doom_20141221_203029.png

(...and also a Kumamon)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Man am I glad that I have this thread subscribed. It's one of the best threads on neogaf.

It's amazing how well Doom still holds up.

I play the game with brutal doom and GZDoom and couldn't be happier.

G-Fex

So apparently Matthias Worch was on twitch a while ago streaming a retrospective of the Doom Maps he made. He's also with 2K and has done work on Dead Space 2 and the cancelled Star Wars 1313.

http://www.twitch.tv/mworch/b/604623432

there's the broadcast today.

I suggest you guys follow him as he'll do more then get into his quake levels.

G-Fex

I'm not sure if I ever played any of his maps but I'll check it out regardless. You often find good stuff, G-Fex.

He worked on Memento Mori 2 maps as well as several maps in Requiem.

Not sure what else. I need to play Requiem now.

MM2 is ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

MM2 is ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Beyond Belief isn't. Episode was and still is the definitive Quake E1 replacement-cum-Willits/Romero tribute. Maps are satisfyingly interconnected (room to rocket-jump and bunny-hop across gaps to exits), architecture ranges from good to amazing for 1997 level editing, combat itself evolves naturally in each map...overall I'd really enjoy another playthrough. Zerstörer and Prodigy XL SE, by comparison, have less interesting maps on the whole, instead relying either on gimmicks/framing devices or higher difficulty than usual. Only Mexx's Penumbra of Domination (along with mexx8 and mexx9 which precede it as part of a trilogy) can stack up from that year.

I really want to gauge interest in the custom SP Quake scene on GAF...methinks some people would be very interested, just have to show off what mappers like mfx, Sock (former Raven), ijed, Scampie, czg (currently at MachineGames), Vondur, Daz, &c. are capable of with limitless source ports.

G-Fex

Wow. Is this released? I can't find the download link on the Zdoom forums.

Beyond Belief isn't. Episode was and still is the definitive Quake E1 replacement-cum-Willits/Romero tribute. Maps are satisfyingly interconnected (room to rocket-jump and bunny-hop across gaps to exits), architecture ranges from good to amazing for 1997 level editing, combat itself evolves naturally in each map...overall I'd really enjoy another playthrough. Zerstörer and Prodigy XL SE, by comparison, have less interesting maps on the whole, instead relying either on gimmicks/framing devices or higher difficulty than usual. Only Mexx's Penumbra of Domination (along with mexx8 and mexx9 which precede it as part of a trilogy) can stack up from that year.

I really want to gauge interest in the custom SP Quake scene on GAF...methinks some people would be very interested, just have to show off what mappers like mfx, Sock (former Raven), ijed, Scampie, czg (currently at MachineGames), Vondur, Daz, &c. are capable of with limitless source ports.

I'd try it but I don't know how to load any Quake mods into a sourceport, much less the expansions.

So yeah here's the video of me playing TB with Unholy Realms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjdXQ01XUpA

yeah it's out here's the link

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=47494

I've been dabbling in it via Quake Injector for a while now. Those mapjams are really something else.

I'm not 100% sure I'm sold on Valiant, having given it a brief test on Episode 5. I selected HNTR, but it felt like I'd selected UV. So chaotic. I suppose that's my own fault for jumping straight to Episode 5 of 5, but still, ouch.

Level design seems plenty inventive, though. I really liked the light bridges in MAP28.

Has anyone ever gotten doom 64ex to scale 320X240 (aspec corect) to a full screen presentation? For me it just is a tiny box in the corner of the screen :/

Never really bothered to. It wouldn't look authentic to the particular way the N64 renders things regardless, so might as well utilize one of the big selling points of the port - that is, playing it at 1920x1080.

I'm really looking forward to Kaiser's related SlaveDriverEX project, incidentally. Powerslave on the Saturn is an excellent game held back by being required to play with a controller using a pre-dual-analog FPS control scheme. The ability to play it with mouse-and-keyboard, let alone at a higher resolution, would be a game-changer.

I mean

I waaaaaaant thiiiiiiiiis

ElTopo

Banned
Do you have a source for SlaveDriverEX? I did a Google search and it looks like it's being done by the guys who did Doom64EX? I'm not too sure.

Power Slave on the console had a really interesting concept but the platforming wasn't great. If you hate the Zen levels from Half Life 1 than you're not going to like a lot of Power Slave.

Do you have a source for SlaveDriverEX? I did a Google search and it looks like it's being done by the guys who did Doom64EX? I'm not too sure.

Power Slave on the console had a really interesting concept but the platforming wasn't great. If you hate the Zen levels from Half Life 1 than you're not going to like a lot of Power Slave.
The images were reposted on Something Awful; the guy who posted them there cited some #doomdtwid IRC room:

(9:09:22 PM) Kaiser: http://imgur.com/rn3ahCq,vcwIE5f,0UrNLiA,EW4XK9x coming soon: PowerslaveEX

Also, if you check the forums for Doom 64 EX, the bottom forum (Kex Engine) mentions SlaveDriverEX there:

Discussions about TurokEX and SlavedriverEX projects

No relevant threads on the matter, tho.

Raptomex

Never really bothered to. It wouldn't look authentic to the particular way the N64 renders things regardless, so might as well utilize one of the big selling points of the port - that is, playing it at 1920x1080.

I'm really looking forward to Kaiser's related SlaveDriverEX project, incidentally. Powerslave on the Saturn is an excellent game held back by being required to play with a controller using a pre-dual-analog FPS control scheme. The ability to play it with mouse-and-keyboard, let alone at a higher resolution, would be a game-changer.

I mean

I waaaaaaant thiiiiiiiiis
I've heard of this game, never played it. Looks sexy, though. I just ordered the Saturn version. His work is amazing, too.

Top Bottom