• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM |OT| Rip and tear, until it's done

The Argus

Got this on the Steam sale for my new 1070. Holy shit. What a game. Even the menu soundtrack gets me pumped. Pure 90s nostalgia, so far I haven't read a single damn thing on the codec. Just loving the action and the simple story told visually. I'm sure all that stuff you pick up is cool, but this isn't an RPG, this is rip n tear.

duckroll

So I beat DOOM two days ago, and I've been thinking about something. It's about VEGA.

Throughout the game they suggested that VEGA is more than he seems, and that no one knows what VEGA actually stands for. There are hints that he might be part demon artifact, and there are all sorts of ominous suggestions before you shut him down. In fact, in a really curious move, VEGA is the one thing the Doom Slayer doesn't outright destroy savagely, but he backs it up before shutting down the core. Yet at the end, Samuel doesn't seem to know that VEGA was backed up. He didn't recover the disc, he seemed to think VEGA was gone. What does all this mean?!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Finished the game on HMP. What an experience, my god. I already want to replay and find all the secrets lol. The bosses are super fun, the level design is amazing and the secrets and jumping puzzle stuff is sooo cool. Love it. Even the credits were great.

Not sure if I'm satisfied with the ending though, after all this time it was pretty abrupt. I liked what happened, I just missed a "this is the final area/boss" buildup I guess.

edit: Yeah, Ducky's VEGA question is a good one, too.

ArjanN

So I beat DOOM two days ago, and I've been thinking about something. It's about VEGA.

Throughout the game they suggested that VEGA is more than he seems, and that no one knows what VEGA actually stands for. There are hints that he might be part demon artifact, and there are all sorts of ominous suggestions before you shut him down. In fact, in a really curious move, VEGA is the one thing the Doom Slayer doesn't outright destroy savagely, but he backs it up before shutting down the core. Yet at the end, Samuel doesn't seem to know that VEGA was backed up. He didn't recover the disc, he seemed to think VEGA was gone. What does all this mean?!

I think it was
both an inversion of the typical AI gone evil trope, and also setting it up to be some sort of trump card against Samuel, but probably for a sequel/expansion since obviously you don't fight Samuel yet. I could see them do a Wolfenstein The Old Blood standalone type expansion maybe.

BBboy20

Wouldn't Hayden be aware of VEGA being transferable?

Joeku

Wouldn't Hayden be aware of VEGA being transferable?

I haven't seen the end of the game in a while, but at that point Hayden would probably expect Doomguy to continue to just destroy everything, including VEGA.

Am I wrong or didn't VEGA seem to actually want what was best, and not in the "at all costs" Hayden way?

BBboy20

I haven't seen the end of the game in a while, but at that point Hayden would probably expect Doomguy to continue to just destroy everything, including VEGA.

Am I wrong or didn't VEGA seem to actually want what was best, and not in the "at all costs" Hayden way?
Probably id's way of being humorous about sacrifice.

Also: was anybody else anticipating the most raddest boss fight when listening to this but never came to be? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhPDBybBC0I 'Cause this is my favorite track in the game.

Hey, I got a problem - I downloaded Doom to my PS4, played it, and found there was no voice acting. Someone suggested I should redownload it, and when I did that, it still didn't have voice acting.

(and yes, I do have voice acting set to max, and all other sounds are perfectly fine)

Is there any help for meee

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Hey, I got a problem - I downloaded Doom to my PS4, played it, and found there was no voice acting. Someone suggested I should redownload it, and when I did that, it still didn't have voice acting.

(and yes, I do have voice acting set to max, and all other sounds are perfectly fine)

Maybe something related to the controller speaker? I don't remember if the game uses it or not.
Or maybe try rebuilding the console's database.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there any plan of singleplayer DLC or should I uninstall the game now that I'm done with the campaign? 80gb is a lot of space to free.

Ixion

Is there any plan of singleplayer DLC or should I uninstall the game now that I'm done with the campaign? 80gb is a lot of space to free.

No plans for Campaign DLC. id Software said the focus was on improving SnapMap enough so that the fans can make Campaign-quality stuff. And it has improved a lot.

So I would go check out SnapMap and play some of the "Featured" campaigns on the front page, or just go to the actual Campaigns category and play some of the high rated ones.

My top recommended SnapMap campaign for you would be "Tormented Souls" by Bloodshot. It was featured a few weeks ago.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

Happened to me and I noticed it still didn't download the whole thing after installing, did you check that? And yes, I also bought it on PSN, it's able to start without it being actually complete with like 40 gigs, but it needs all ~80.

Mondrian

I just beat this game and it's the GOTY for me, nothing even comes close to this level design. The game is just flat out extremely enjoyable to play: the controls, the character design, audio design, just everything. I'd even go as far as saying this is the best FPS since HL2 for me.

danthefan

Just beat the C
yberdemon
, took a few goes but that was bloody intense.

I don't really like the next level too much tbh... just a load of brown corridors and platforms, isn't that interesting tbh.

Overall though this game is really amazing.

Wanderer5

Got this game on steam last week via a friend, and finally got the downloading done this morning lol. First level completed, and man does this game feel so damn good.

got around to finally playing this. started on hard of course. game got me like

2dde7540937ba526f6b968cb07fd8987.gif

ZoxKKES.gif

Okay this game's sound is borked (PS4). How have there not been tons of complaints about this??

Almost no sounds come out of the center channel of a 5.1 setup. This makes everything from weapons to voices to anything directly in front of you nearly silent. The only thing coming out of my center channel is extremely light ambient environment noise, and that's only if I put my ear directly on the speaker. Nothing else on PS4 has this problem on my setup.

The game itself seems to change the volume of everything dependent on what's happening on screen. I can't figure out if it's for performance or when there's too many enemies in view. On top of this the game seems to purposely crank music to be 100 times louder and dampen all other sound effects during fights. This kills situational awareness when you are surrounded not to mention makes the game sound weak as hell firing off shots.

Finally there is next to no feedback that your being hit and I am often surprised when I suddenly keel over. An audible grunt or something from the character would help... or maybe that's what I'm missing from the center channel.

The only way to fix some of these issues is to play with headphones or set to stereo output on the PS4. The game is just not handling surround sound correctly. Even with headphones the dynamic sound effect and music levels is jarring.

Does anyone have any insight for the surround sound issue?

Ultimadrago

I just finished this. Picked it up from a Steam sale and don't regret it. Rocket Launcher's Lock-On Burst was my jam! The Glory kills were good as well. Yes, you run past plenty of the same ones as before over time, but the Arcade is short enough where that repetition was never much of an issue for me.

I had some issues with two-handed weapons and interacting with some flags (forcing me to draw a single-hand weapon before I could pull some levers or tags), but overall the experience was gruesome and fun for a campaign playthrough.

So my save file is corrupted. Is there any way to fix it or start back at the same place i was at before?

I don't think i am willing put another 5 hours to get back to where i was before.

Izuna

Banned
Okay this game's sound is borked (PS4). How have there not been tons of complaints about this??

Almost no sounds come out of the center channel of a 5.1 setup. This makes everything from weapons to voices to anything directly in front of you nearly silent. The only thing coming out of my center channel is extremely light ambient environment noise, and that's only if I put my ear directly on the speaker. Nothing else on PS4 has this problem on my setup.

The game itself seems to change the volume of everything dependent on what's happening on screen. I can't figure out if it's for performance or when there's too many enemies in view. On top of this the game seems to purposely crank music to be 100 times louder and dampen all other sound effects during fights. This kills situational awareness when you are surrounded not to mention makes the game sound weak as hell firing off shots.

Finally there is next to no feedback that your being hit and I am often surprised when I suddenly keel over. An audible grunt or something from the character would help... or maybe that's what I'm missing from the center channel.

The only way to fix some of these issues is to play with headphones or set to stereo output on the PS4. The game is just not handling surround sound correctly. Even with headphones the dynamic sound effect and music levels is jarring.

I dunno about surround, but yeah. Sound in general is rubbish in this game.

leng jai

The poor audio mixing has been mentioned many times. Most people just don't care.

derFeef

The poor audio mixing has been mentioned many times. Most people just don't care.

This is an engine problem. Audio is just really bad in that engine - it started with Rage.
"ENEMY SCREAMING INTO YOU EARS" - is actually miles away...

No idea why they did not fix this yet.

I want to like this game but the aesthetic is not very functional. Is there a way to make enemies contrast better with environment? Do I need to play with the lighting and/or shadow settings?

Varth

No acceleration or autoaim

100% and 86% for sensitivity, default if you can claw, otherwise whichever lets jump and aim simultaneously.

Jumping and shooting trivialises this game even on the hardest difficulties.

13 levels. So you have 10 more to go.

You're able to replay all the levels you've beaten with your current setup, and you keep everything you acquire. So you can just replay levels to get anything else you missed. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain you can upgrade everything in one file. There's probably a trophy for it.

I use the Strafe preset since it allows for jumping while moving, which is big for a game like DOOM. As for the rest of the settings, a lot of people feel that completely disabling the aim smoothing (and any other auto-aim features) allows for more precision with a controller.

PS4 user here, but same doubts. Just started the game finally, and while I'm getting used to controls, I'm wondering if there's any way to make the moving speed more proportional to the stick movement. It goes from "walking" to "running" seemingly without anything in between. Do the settings mentioned get rid of this? I tried messing with them but they seemed to have no impact at all on the issue.

Ixion

PS4 user here, but same doubts. Just started the game finally, and while I'm getting used to controls, I'm wondering if there's any way to make the moving speed more proportional to the stick movement. It goes from "walking" to "running" seemingly without anything in between. Do the settings mentioned get rid of this? I tried messing with them but they seemed to have no impact at all on the issue.

That's just how the game is designed. You're supposed to be "always running" in DOOM since the game is about constant, fast movement. Removing the need to click a sprint button was one way to keep the player focusing on shooting instead of clicking buttons, and I suppose the simplified two-speed movement was also part of that thinking.

Varth

That's just how the game is designed. You're supposed to be "always running" in DOOM since the game is about constant, fast movement. Removing the need to click a sprint button was one way to keep the player focusing on shooting instead of clicking buttons, and I suppose the simplified two-speed movement was also part of that thinking.

I don't want a sprint button. I would be perfectly fine without a walk speed at all. It's just baffling that to run top speed you have to push the stick as far as it goes otherwise its "grandma speed walk" with nothing in between. A switch to select the point where running speed starts would have been greatly appreciated.
I mean, its not unbearable, but I fear it may be limiting my precision later on.

Ixion

It's just baffling that to run top speed you have to push the stick as far as it goes otherwise its "grandma speed walk" with nothing in between. A switch to select the point where running speed starts would have been greatly appreciated.
I mean, its not unbearable, but I fear it may be limiting my precision later on.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I guess the devs felt that touching the gate with the stick was more of a concrete way of knowing when the movement speed would change instead of having it change somewhere in the middle. But yeah, having the option to change that wouldn't hurt.

I started this about a week ago on PS4 and am now halfway through. This game is just pure awesomeness. Loving every minute of it. I think to really enjoy it though you need to appreciate the exploration component as much as the combat. The game actually reminds me of Metroid Prime at times. I think part of it is the 3d map and exploring. I also think some of the environment and art design wouldn't be out of place in a Metroid Prime game. Any chance people who worked on the Prime series also worked on this?

One thing I really enjoy about the combat is that the game really forces you to cycle through your weapons during encounters. I wouldn't say ammo is sparse, but you really can't get through a lot of the battles sticking to one weapon. The balance is just right and does a great job of encouraging the player to select different weapons for specific enemy types/encounters.

Does anybody know when the next ps4 update is coming out, or if theyre even working on one? This game causes my pro to have problems every time i shut down after playing and it really pisses me off. Wouldve been goty if not for that issue. Ive been tweeting to @DOOM on a weekly basis but no dice.

Ixion

Does anybody know when the next ps4 update is coming out, or if theyre even working on one? This game causes my pro to have problems every time i shut down after playing and it really pisses me off. Wouldve been goty if not for that issue. Ive been tweeting to @DOOM on a weekly basis but no dice.

It seems id Software might have stopped their post-launch support of DOOM once 2016 ended. They finished their multiplayer DLC and their major SnapMap updates right before the end of the year. They haven't even selected new featured campaigns in SnapMap for a couple months now.

With that said, I would recommend not using the Suspend/Resume feature for DOOM if you have a Pro. That's a known issue. Just completely close the game when you're done playing.

Stainless

So I played DOOM last weekend basically in one day start to finish. I couldn't put it down. I stopped for bio and food and right back at it. Some areas I felt like I was just running for my life. I loved the game, wish I had bumped it up on my playlist because I've had it for a while. The final bosses were a blast.

Started this today and have just got to the 5th level. I'm enjoying and really like that from the get go you can push through enemies with relative ease while it all looks impressive.

Tsosie

Just borrowed a copy of this from a friend and I have a quick question. I have heard that the patches for this game are huge. If I plan on only playing the campaign do I need any of the patches? Playing in a base PS4 with no intentions of playing any multiplayer.

Ixion

Just borrowed a copy of this from a friend and I have a quick question. I have heard that the patches for this game are huge. If I plan on only playing the campaign do I need any of the patches? Playing in a base PS4 with no intentions of playing any multiplayer.

The "Day One" patch fixed a pretty significant screen-tearing issue in the factory copies. So you may have to deal with that if you don't download the current patch.

I also think the Day One patched added the FOV slider, so if you want to increase your Field Of View, then you might need the update as well.

Brizzo24

The "Day One" patch fixed a pretty significant screen-tearing issue in the factory copies. So you may have to deal with that if you don't download the current patch.

I also think the Day One patched added the FOV slider, so if you want to increase your Field Of View, then you might need the update as well.

So glad this was the last post!

I had deleted DOOM months ago from my HDD in order to make room. Then recently I had a hankering some some good ol' fashioned RIP and TEAR--only, without having my PS4 connected online I couldn't DL any patches. I got way more tear than I bargained for. I played for about 10 minutes, all the while wondering why the screen had such terrible tearing, before I gave up. During that time I was worried the disc was corrupted, my TV was set on another format (calibrated vs. game) something was wrong with my processor...b/c I did not remember the tearing during my initial playthrough.

Also, I wasn't able to load my save because without the patch/update that save was considered "new." Sigh. I live in an area when internet is horrendous, and therefor my ability to get my system up to date is nearly impossible. Can I save patches to a thumb drive and install them that way?

So glad this was the last post!

I had deleted DOOM months ago from my HDD in order to make room. Then recently I had a hankering some some good ol' fashioned RIP and TEAR--only, without having my PS4 connected online I couldn't DL any patches. I got way more tear than I bargained for. I played for about 10 minutes, all the while wondering why the screen had such terrible tearing, before I gave up. During that time I was worried the disc was corrupted, my TV was set on another format (calibrated vs. game) something was wrong with my processor...b/c I did not remember the tearing during my initial playthrough.

Also, I wasn't able to load my save because without the patch/update that save was considered "new." Sigh. I live in an area when internet is horrendous, and therefor my ability to get my system up to date is nearly impossible. Can I save patches to a thumb drive and install them that way?

Haha yeah, IMO DOOM 2016 is almost unplayable before applying the day one patch on PS4. Not only is the screen tearing nausea inducing, the look acceleration option is absent. Aiming is an unpredictable mess.

Edit: AFAIK the PS4 does not support downloading an applying patches from an external source, such as a USB drive. They can only be applied via PSN on the PS4.

Saya

I picked this up today for 15 bucks. It's pretty awesome. I started playing before the patch downloaded fully and the tearing is pretty bad at times. Still, it is tons of fun. The only complain I have is that the text is really small in the menus and descriptions.

RodzTF

Started this a few days ago, just completed Titan's Realm.

The game sure is a lot of fun. I would go into more detail but I'd just be echoing the general consensus.

I will say, Kadingir Sanctum was an awesome level, that first taste of getting to
hell
was brilliant.

PatzCU

Just finished this today and loved it. Gotta say, I bought this due to all the GAF hype. For the first 2-4 hours, I was beginning to think I had fallen prey to another over-hyped game on GAF (see: The Division) but once I started unlocking some of the increased movement abilities and weapon mods, it really started picking up. The increased enemy diversity and quantity also goes a long way towards making the fights more enjoyable.

There is really just nothing better than dancing around a room annihilating demons to gratuitous metal music. By the end of the game, I was rapidly cycling weapons to deal with whatever unfortunate demon happened to be standing in front of me at the time. My FPS skills definitely increased x10 to the point where I was doing 180 degree spins and instantly locking on shotgun-grenade arc shots across the room. Totally crazy and fun!

My question for GAF: Are there any snap maps worth playing? I toyed around with the popular ones in the snap map browser but wasn't all that impressed. As we all know, this game takes up a shitload of HDD space. I will very likely return to this game within the next year to try and beat it at the highest difficulty but am curious if I should stick around to play some snap maps before uninstalling for now.

Dekutulla

Saw the game was 50% off on Steam and bought it on the recommendation of a friend (well, more like reassurance that it was worth it).

Hot take: Doom is pretty good.

Woorloog

Banned
Soo, what's with the incredibly low resolution in the main menu?

I finally got my PC fixed, so i figured i'd play some DOOM again. But man, i can't find options menu with that resolution, it is like... i don't know, 600x400 or so?

EDIT nevermind, problem solved. The game defaulted to 4:3 aspect ratio and lowest resolution for some reason.

EDIT Vulcan's awesome. Everything maxed and it runs so very smooth. Of course, i do have only 1080p display so it isn't like i'm truly taking the game to the limits.

Ixion

Season Pass is on sale at PS4. Is it worth it, or does no one play the new maps?

People can play on the new maps as long as someone in the lobby bought the new maps, so you shouldn't have a problem playing the new maps if you buy them. They'll show up in the map rotation pretty often for all to enjoy.

The problem is just the multiplayer player count in general. I have a hard time finding straight up Deathmatch games. You generally have to play one of the two mixed playlists (Free-For-All or Team). If you don't mind that, then I'd say it's worth it.

The Flash

Banned
Been trying to do another playthrough but the game crashes my computer when I die and hit "load last checkpoint". Same thing when I complete a level and hit "save and exit". Sometimes it'll look like it's uninstalled on Steam cause it's greyed out too. Weird.

I'll finally be starting this soon, but I have a question.

They added an arcade mode? Can that be played straight away or do you have to unlock it first?

Is that how I should play it, first time out?

Top Bottom