• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest I & II HD-2D Remake releasing 2025

Press release info via Gematsu:

Square Enix has announced Dragon Quest I & II HD-2D Remake for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, Switch, and PC (Steam). It will launch in 2025.

Following the release of Dragon Quest III HD-2D Remake on November 14, Dragon Quest I & II HD-2D Remake will continue the classic RPG trilogy’s narrative, offering players two adventures to undertake in Dragon Quest I and Dragon Quest II. Chronologically, Dragon Quest I and Dragon Quest II follow the events of Dragon Quest III.

Further details were not announced.

ss_167b53950c95c45348222cb2c94217d38a19cea0.1920x1080.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
This was a great surprise. I've only played DQ11 and I loved it, so diving into these remakes are gonna be a lot of fun. DQ3 looked great so I'm assuming 1&2 will look equally good.

Reactions: Isa

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This was a great surprise. I've only played DQ11 and I loved it, so diving into these remakes are gonna be a lot of fun. DQ3 looked great so I'm assuming 1&2 will look equally good.
Don't get too excited there champ. The third game is considered by many DQ fans to be the best (or one of the best) in the series. The first game is usually bashed for being too simplistic (no party members, 1v1 monster battles, short) and I doubt that will change with the remake. The second game introduced more story elements and two party members, but had brutal difficulty (which will probably be fixed in the remake) and was also on the short side. Even combined, the first two games aren't even half as good as the third game. But since this looks like a pretty generous remake, it's hard to say if that will continue to be the case.

Goalus

I might buy this as well as DQ3 at launch, as a thanks to SE for not giving in to slimy platform things orchestrated by a well-known platform holder.

RickMasters

I’m gonna buy all of them on Xbox. I’m new to the series. I got bitten the bug for these HD- pixel RPGs with octopath traveller, and for somebody like me it’s a good way to experience these games for the first time. Keeps their original look but add a certain flair that comes with modern hardware.

Now can I have the final fantasy pixel remaster on Xbox some time soon too? I’ll buy. I’ll add them to my collection.

Isa

NGL, I got choked up when the screen panned out for the full picture reveal. I'm not really a nostalgic guy, but I do have some really great memories playing these way back when. Day 1 for sure. They all look amazing.

Question becomes, would you like to see other classic titles made in this style? Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Final Fantasy 1-6 for example.

I'd definitely be ok with it.
As long as nothing was lost in a remake of Xenogears, I'd kill for one, but honestly I worry what they'd do to it.

Mozzarella

Never played any of the first 3 Dragon Quest games, dont know if i should try them after finding both 8 and 11 meh.

Naked Lunch

Why did they exclude Dragon Quest 4?

That was on the the NES, too.
Hopefully DQIV is in the pipeline.
DQ 1-3 are from the same story timeline - 'Eldrick Trilogy'.

DQIV is a much larger game from my memory than the first three.
DQIV is so cool in that its split into different chapters and you play completely different characters (some characters are pretty unique - one dude is just a merchant so its a change of pace from fighters and spellcasters) - then all the characters join up at the end chapter.
IV is probably my favorite of the series so far.

Last edited:
I’m new to Dragon Quest and I wanna play these, but why does 3 come out before 1 and 2? Does the order not matter (like Final Fantasy)? Or should I wait and play them in order?

Naked Lunch

I’m new to Dragon Quest and I wanna play these, but why does 3 come out before 1 and 2? Does the order not matter (like Final Fantasy)? Or should I wait and play them in order?
DQ3 takes place before DQ1 story-wise, and DQ2 takes place 100 years after DQ1.
So the story order is 3-1-2.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Top Bottom