• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D Remake Releases November 14, 2024

I got to the world is destroyed purple sky part.
Yeah I think you're at the end of the main story but thats like 60ish% of the game. The post-game is honestly really fun, it's like a reward for completing the story. There's just a lot that changes, and the whole game opens up, and there's all sorts of things to do and superbosses to take on. Well worth your time.

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
So it seems people are pretty divisive when it comes to Live A Live. Some people like it quite a lot, while others didn't like it. Seems that there's no real "meh" position about it.

Interesting.

That being said, the Star Ocean 2 remake really surprised me. It's really good and actually made me reconsider my stance towards the IP as a whole. I used to think of Star Ocean as this weird low-budget JRPG series that, for some reason, gets some money from Square on occasion, which tri-Ace then uses to make something way too ambitions and failing.

So it seems people are pretty divisive when it comes to Live A Live. Some people like it quite a lot, while others didn't like it. Seems that there's no real "meh" position about it.

Interesting.

That being said, the Star Ocean 2 remake really surprised me. It's really good and actually made me reconsider my stance towards the IP as a whole. I used to think of Star Ocean as this weird low-budget JRPG series that, for some reason, gets some money from Square on occasion, which tri-Ace then uses to make something way too ambitions and failing.
For me, Live a Live was a hard pass because of the tactical grid. I love turn-based JRPGs but I do not go for tactical.

Hudo

Gold Member
For me, Live a Live was a hard pass because of the tactical grid. I love turn-based JRPGs but I do not go for tactical.
Do you mean you dislike combat on a tactical grid in general? I.e.: Does that mean you don't like Final Fantasy Tactics?

Interesting.

I played Star Ocean First Departure R after playing Second Story R. One of the worst JRPGs I've ever played and I've seen YouTube videos trying to glaze the fuck out of it. It's simply not a good game.

Last edited:
You barbarian.
I wish I didn't hate tactical grid but I just do. So yeah I'm like "Ugggh goddamit" everytime it shows up in new a JRPG announcement. Triangle Stategy, Ogre Battle, FF Tactics, Mario + Rabbids, Live a Live, etc.

My max capacity with tactical consideration is swapping your partner to be at the front in Paper Mario. Or what you have to do in Lost Odysey with the front & back row. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
I wish I didn't hate tactical grid but I just do. So yeah I'm like "Ugggh goddamit" everytime it shows up in new a JRPG announcement. Triangle Stategy, Ogre Battle, FF Tactics, Mario + Rabbids, Live a Live, etc.

My max capacity with tactical consideration is swapping your partner to be at the front in Paper Mario. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I, on the other hand, would have sex on a tactical grid, if I could.

Oberstein

Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D preview details via Genki:
  • World map is not flat and has a design that goes up and down

I love this kind of detail. It's very complicated to innovate on something as basic as a world map. And yet it makes it more immersive.

They do.

The best chapter, in fact, is unlocked after completing the seven main scenarios and it's even better than FF6. It could seriously be its own Final Fantasy game.

images

I couldn't agree more. This chapter is absolutely fantastic, you could almost buy the game just for it. From the music to the themes, the build-up to the plot and the conclusion.

In short, it's extraordinarily well done.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It's story might be more serious, but it's not all that deep. It's a simple hero of legend that slays an evil power story and lays the foundation for the story of the first two games. These games are meant to be played for the grind and class systems. Dragon Quest V is considered the best when it comes to story elements.
So is this one similar that the meat and potatoes is end game?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I played Star Ocean First Departure R after playing Second Story R. One of the worst JRPGs I've ever played and I've seen YouTube videos trying to glaze the fuck out of it. It's simply not a good game.

I'm with you, man. I finally tried playing the PS4 version about a month ago and was bored to tears. There's so many random mechanics that have no utility whatsoever and, despite this being a remaster of a remake, they made no attempt to streamline any of it. You can largely ignore all of that junk, but even so, you're left with an impossibly generic RPG with a shoddy action-y combat system, flat characters, and a throwaway plotline.

I haven't played Second Story R yet, but the experience has given me second thoughts about it... maybe it's better.

Aaaanyway. Dragon Quest III looks stunning and I can't wait. This may very well be the best year for JRPGs that we've ever had - eclipsing even what we saw during the PS1 era.

Wow. Live A Live before the excellent Star Ocean 2 remake? Maybe I should try it...

You should it's a great game. It was a good surprise

I can't seem to force myself to complete the first chapter I started: the caveman story. I hope they get better...

It does get better. The Caveman Chapter I consider to be one of the most boring ones in the game. But the rest are good to excellent. I reccomand using a guide to get the best ending

VG was full 3d so cant be done in that formula, but since it was one of 10/10 psx games i wish it would get 4k60 remaster at least so more ppl can experience it.
Edit:
And about Xenogears, dunno if u guys saw that fan project

That fan project looks fantastic

I hope if SquareEnix does a HD-2D Remake of Xenogears, it looks as good as that

Top Bottom