• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D Remake Releases November 14, 2024

Team Asano kinda regrets announcing the Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D Remake too early
We’ve been told that too much time has passed since we announced the start of development, but this isn’t unusual seeing as all of our titles have taken 3 to 4 years to develop.
However, the (initial) announcement was too early compared to others (We are reflecting on this).
So, thank you very much for waiting.

Last edited:
I'll have to say that JRPG fans of HD-2D are eating good. :messenger_sunglasses:

GQYT7lqWUAE-YQ5

Last edited:
Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D preview details via Genki:
  • Story is based on the original with some revisions under supervision from Yuji Horii
  • Akira Toriyama was not directly involved. However, the art style respectfully imitates Toriyam’s style
  • You can choose either Graphics Mode or Performance Mode on PS5 and Xbox versions
  • 3 difficulties:
  • Drakky Quest: Easy
  • Dragon Quest: Normal
  • Draconian Quest: Hard
  • 3 battle speeds: normal, fast and super fast
  • Auto-battle
  • Auto-saves
  • Random encounters
  • Classic JRPG gameplay with improvements
  • Added sound effects and voice acting
  • Orchestrated music
  • World map is not flat and has a design that goes up and down
  • World map and mini-map is always displayed
  • Camera cannot be controlled, but the zoom distance can be changed
  • You can dash in towns and fields.
  • During battle, the camera angle changes with each turn

Ok guys. Stack rank these games from best to worst.

Also: Would you really cound Star Ocean as a HD-2D game?

Ranking

Live A Live
Star Ocean 2 HD-2D Remake
Bravely Default II 😉
Triangle Strategy

I never finished Octopath Traveler but I'm I'm going to be playing Octopath Traveler II sometime this year

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
IMO it’s not particularly great. I liked Octopath 2 or Star Ocean 2R a lot better for example. Love a live was alright but I kind of got bored and dropped it 😅.
I enjoyed it, but it's not really close to Octopath 2 or Triangle Strategy. It is a SNES game and feels like it. But it's a neat way to experience a game most people missed. The anthology format is great and I hope they repeat it someday.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
  • Orchestrated music
Seems like waiting to play this instead of the SNES version paid off! Good stuff, specially the difficulty and music.

Wow. Live A Live before the excellent Star Ocean 2 remake? Maybe I should try it...
I didn't finish it, just played a few of the stories, but thought it was great! Every story is quite different from others both in setting, tone and gameplay. Some heavy kino moments in some of those too, good stuff.

Just don't start with the ninja's story, might be the hardest when it comes to the combat.
Edit: I'd recommend starting with the china one. Good mix of narrative and combat.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Seems like waiting to play this instead of the SNES version paid off! Good stuff, specially the difficulty and music.

I didn't finish it, just played a few of the stories, but thought it was great! Every story is quite different from others both in setting, tone and gameplay. Some heavy kino moments in some of those too, good stuff.

Just don't start with the ninja's story, might be the hardest when it comes to the combat.
Edit: I'd recommend starting with the china one. Good mix of narrative and combat.
I started on the pro wrestler. No regrets lol.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I hope that they'll remaster Valkyrie Profile 1 at some point...
Would be cool, although I could settle just with the PSX game being released on PC and modern consoles.

I just wish I played it in the 90s because you can tell that your mind would have been blown wide open lol.
Yeah agree! To me, the SNES version always looked kinda average so I never tried it. How wrong I was, never could have imagined the game did so many cool and unique things.

PeteBull

If anything

I can see them remaking

Final Fantasy 1 - 6
Dragon Quest 4 - 9
Xenogears
Chrono Trigger
Vagrant Story
Valkyrie Profile

In the HD-2D Style
VG was full 3d so cant be done in that formula, but since it was one of 10/10 psx games i wish it would get 4k60 remaster at least so more ppl can experience it.
Edit:
And about Xenogears, dunno if u guys saw that fan project

Last edited:

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
VG was full 3d so cant be done in that formula, but since it was one of 10/10 psx games i wish it would get 4k60 remaster at least so more ppl can experience it.
Edit:
And about Xenogears, dunno if u guys saw that fan project

Anyway, in case you’re wondering, Maccari does not plan to release this project to the public. So, no. You won’t be able to experience this fan project on your PC system.

Oh, so it's a nothing-burger.. :(

Hudo

Gold Member
The problem with a Xenogears sequel or even a remaster of some sort is that it would require the input of Tetsuya Takahashi and Soraya Saga (his wife). Tetsuya Takahashi is director at Monolith Soft and his wife is at least regularly working for Monolith as character designer. So Nintendo, Monolith Soft and Square would need to figure something out for that project to even have a chance of happening.

Unless Square try to do this themselves, in which case: Lmao, it will be shit.

Last edited:

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
The problem with a Xenogears sequel or even a remaster of some sort is that it would require the input of Tetsuya Takahashi and Soraya Saga (his wife). Tetsuya Takahashi is director at Monolith Soft and his wife is at least regularly working for Monolith as character designer. So Nintendo, Monolith Soft and Square would need to figure something out for that project to even have a chance of happening.

Unless Square try to do this themselves, in which case: Lmao, it will be shit.
I think Square and Nintendo collaborated for Super Mario RPG, so anything is possible.

This is honestly my most anticipated game for the holiday season. It edges out Mario & Luigi for me. I've never played a DQ other than VIII and XI, so I am very much looking forward to this, and getting the story in the timeline order, with the beautiful HD-2D and all the modern QoL they are adding in. Can't wait! After TTYD I am now in full-on JRPG mode. Too bad that it's likely not published by Nintendo for Switch like VIII and XI were in the west, means it won't be eligible for a Voucher.

I'll get it on Steam Deck or Series X, for the 60 fps goodness, and achievements.

Last edited:
I think Square and Nintendo collaborated for Super Mario RPG, so anything is possible.
Square made the game in-house, with creative input/veto power from Nintendo (mostly Miyamoto). Then after Nintendo & Square had the falling out during early years of the N64, Nintendo still wanted to make the sequel so they just brought it in-house and Intelligent Systems took it over.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ve only really played a lot of DQ XI. I found the story there way too light hearted, and the combat way too easy.

Is this games story a little more serious? I see the option for a hard mode so that’s a plus.

I’ve only really played a lot of DQ XI. I found the story there way too light hearted, and the combat way too easy.

Is this games story a little more serious? I see the option for a hard mode so that’s a plus.
Did you make it to the post game which is like half of the game? I couldn’t even finish it. It was so hard but I mean the game has a seriously huge post game and it’s extremely difficult.

sigmaZ

Gold Member

It's story might be more serious, but it's not all that deep. It's a simple hero of legend that slays an evil power story and lays the foundation for the story of the first two games. These games are meant to be played for the grind and class systems. Dragon Quest V is considered the best when it comes to story elements.

Last edited:
Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D preview details via Genki:
  • Story is based on the original with some revisions under supervision from Yuji Horii
  • Akira Toriyama was not directly involved. However, the art style respectfully imitates Toriyam’s style
  • You can choose either Graphics Mode or Performance Mode on PS5 and Xbox versions
  • 3 difficulties:
  • Drakky Quest: Easy
  • Dragon Quest: Normal
  • 3 battle speeds: normal, fast and super fast
  • Auto-battle
  • Auto-saves
  • Random encounters
  • Added sound effects and voice acting
  • Orchestrated music
  • World map is not flat and has a design that goes up and down
  • World map and mini-map is always displayed
  • Camera cannot be controlled, but the zoom distance can be changed
Per Easy Allies there’s also been new content added such as new secrets, chests, presumably bosses etc. so it’s not just the content from the original, there’s there’s more stuff in the games. Presumably also for the I & II remakes next year, as well

Last edited:
Top Bottom