• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 Update Available Now on PS5 and Steam, Xbox X|S coming "in the next few days"

The Xbox update is now live. Finished Ronin, time to dig into this today.

dave chappelle crying GIF

Let us know what your opinions are of the game after the patch please, did want to get this but am holding off for now.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Let us know what your opinions are of the game after the patch please, did want to get this but am holding off for now.

I didn't play it pre-patch so I have no reference if the patch itself made any improvements. Obviously it's nowhere near a consistent 60, but the VRR and 120hz low frame rate compensation is at least letting me play the game without judder.

It's kinda like playing one of those 40hz games. Notably smoother than 30 FPS game without juddering.

Last edited:

TheShocker

They did not address whatever is causing the blurry image on XSX. So no go for now. Got my refund and might explore the game on PS5.

adamsapple

I'm not sure if there's a better way to illustrate this, since direct captures will obviously not show VRR's benefits. And this is one of those games where the tech comes in incredibly handy.

But here's a couple of quick and dirty (excuse my phone quality) off-screen captures taken at 60 FPS which show that it actually looks rather smooth on the display, irrespective of what the FPS is underneath.

They did not address whatever is causing the blurry image on XSX. So no go for now. Got my refund and might explore the game on PS5.
how was/is the refund process on xbox? just kept it on my series x because i thought it'd be a pain in the ass to get the refund. should have just gotten it on ps5...

MScarpa

Purchased it the day it came out. Haven't even played it yet. So many other amazing games and not having 60FPS really bothers me.

TheShocker

how was/is the refund process on xbox? just kept it on my series x because i thought it'd be a pain in the ass to get the refund. should have just gotten it on ps5...
Super easy. Just click a few buttons on the refund website and you can even give reasons why in the text box. It’s a new release and as long as you don’t have a ton of hours into it, it should be automatic. A million times easier than Sony’s refund system.

poodaddy

Super easy. Just click a few buttons on the refund website and you can even give reasons why in the text box. It’s a new release and as long as you don’t have a ton of hours into it, it should be automatic. A million times easier than Sony’s refund system.
Can confirm, used it recently for a thing I accidentally bought for my account that I meant to gift to my daughter's and it was a VERY easy process, really well done. That being said, I've only ever used Sony's process once and it worked fine, though it wasn't quite as easy, and that was over ten years ago, so I can't speak to how they compare today. Still though, Steam and Xbox have very nice refund processes thankfully.

Kings Field

tried the new patch on Xbox and it’s a little better than pre patch but I’ve been using 120/vrr prior.

I started my PS5 play through last night and it is noticeably nicer looking on Ps5 due to the image bug on Xbox.

Once they fix the image on Xbox I feel like it will be the best way to play the game on console at least.

Lysandros

tried the new patch on Xbox and it’s a little better than pre patch but I’ve been using 120/vrr prior.

I started my PS5 play through last night and it is noticeably nicer looking on Ps5 due to the image bug on Xbox.

Once they fix the image on Xbox I feel like it will be the best way to play the game on console at least.
How do we know this is an 'image bug' on XSX rather than a deliberate different or lower quality reconstruction? Was it confirmed as such by the developer? I also think this aspect can/should be improved by the way.

adamsapple

Didn't RE4 Remake have a similar issue or am I misremembering?

Yes, though that game's issues were twofold. The PS5 version launched with very soft IQ. Patch 1 made the IQ a bit better on PS5 but they made it much worse on Xbox (reduced draw distance, a lot of shimmering etc). Patch 2 restored it on Xbox to its original state.

How do we know this is an 'image bug' on XSX rather than a deliberate different or lower quality reconstruction? Was it confirmed as such by the developer? I also think this aspect can/should be improved by the way.
Exactly. they didn't correct the bug should mean it is not a bug. It's just running on a hardware without any accelerated units for CBR rendering. That's all. We already saw similar "bug" in previous CBR games: Monster Hunter World and Dark Souls remastered. Granted the difference of IQ wasn't that big, but there was a difference and game assets were sharper on PS5.

Yes, though that game's issues were twofold. The PS5 version launched with very soft IQ. Patch 1 made the IQ a bit better on PS5 but they made it much worse on Xbox (reduced draw distance, a lot of shimmering etc). Patch 2 restored it on Xbox to its original state.
In those cases it was always a different balance of framerate vs IQ in both cases (PS5 / XSX). A higher IQ on XSX always lead to quite lower framerate (which wasn't a big problem for 120hz VRR TVs owners). But here framerate is quite similar on XSX. The problem is there isn't any DRS.

Last edited:

Kings Field

Let’s hope it’s a bug. After playing both versions the series x version looks noticeably worse despite playing better with 120/vrr.

adamsapple

Exactly. they didn't correct the bug should mean it is not a bug.
This patch has come in just days after release, it's a hotfix. They didn't talk about any image quality issues with the PS5 version of RE4make before addressing it in a patch either.

It's just running on a hardware without any accelerated units for CBR rendering. That's all.

No?

RE4 Remake also ran with reconstruction, what's labeled as interlacing on the PC version's settings and classified as chekerboarding by DF and VGTech.

This patch has come in just days after release, it's a hotfix. They didn't talk about any image quality issues with the PS5 version of RE4make before addressing it in a patch either.

No?

RE4 Remake also ran with reconstruction, what's labeled as interlacing on the PC version's settings and classified as chekerboarding by DF and VGTech.
Well I guess they must have improved their engine on PS5? People are saying the game is quite sharp on that console.

Top Bottom