• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Games like these I usually enjoy seeing the new helmet i just found on my character so it doesn't bother me that im covering up the face that i spent so much time customizing ... also helps for the roleplaying aspect when i get into town to go in, remove my helmet for talking to merchants and getting quests and such .. then put it back on once i get outside the walls. I understand the appeal of making equipment invisible for the looks of things but i kind of hate it at the same time. Honestly .. the fact that you can have like 4 layers of clothing in this game is so fucking awesome in itself that all i can think about is how f'ing awesome my Arisen is going to look after I get his god tier shirts, armor, helmets and cloaks. In the middle of slaying that devil drake in a death swamp i wanna see a fully armored kitted out dark black/grey assassin with my hooded cloak billowing behind me as I jump for a kill shot ... not zooming in on his facial features.

This is what I do in Skyrim because I can select my helmet on and off from a hotkey list at the push of a button. I guess if DD makes it easy to just unequip my helm I won't mind. Sometimes I like to see my newly aquired helm, but something I prefer to see my character.

Hope its more challenging than Skyrim at least.
From the reviews I've read, I think you can count on that. The biggest debate seems to be whether the difficulty is fair or not. Think Demon's Souls-lite, difficulty-wise.

Thanks for the |OT| Mr. Dresden!

So I'm thinking of making my main pawn in the image of Clare from Claymore, anyone read it?

Clare47.jpg

I loved the Claymore anime. GIMME MORE cool Japanese high fantasy!!:x

LProtag

I've got the guide.

Your vocation does affect the stats you get when you level up. It's also different from 1-10, 10+ and 100+. Slows to a crawl after 100 it seems, some vocations stop gaining stats in certain areas at all then.

Amir0x

Banned
hey maybe I'll get to actually play this RPG on day one unlike a certain other RPG this week

waiting in line...

waiting in line...

I've got the guide.

Your vocation does affect the stats you get when you level up. It's also different from 1-10, 10+ and 100+. Slows to a crawl after 100 it seems, some vocations stop gaining stats in certain areas at all then.

100 is a high level-cap for this type of game - wonder how long it takes to get there.

LProtag

As expected, the preorder armor and weapons aren't exclusive bonuses.

They are however, a good deal better than the starting weapons, but they're still pretty low-tier items. Also all equipment has an "expected level" and if you're below it you use more stamina when you take actions.

As expected, the preorder armor and weapons aren't exclusive bonuses.

They are however, a good deal better than the starting weapons, but they're still pretty low-tier items. Also all equipment has an "expected level" and if you're below it you use more stamina when you take actions.

I prefer natural gear progression, anyway. I enjoy using all the jank weapons the game starts you with - it's part of becoming a badass.

LProtag

I prefer natural gear progression, anyway. I enjoy using all the jank weapons the game starts you with - it's part of becoming a badass.

If you actually enhance the rusted weapons a few levels, they cause posion. I thought that was funny.

Also it looks like vendors have new things to sell at certain 'stages' when you've passed specific story quests in the game. I'm assuming the Gamestop bonus of extra stuff to buy is just an early unlock of the first shop you have access to.

So it looks like all the preorder bonuses are just early access things, nothing exclusive for those who were worried.

If anyone has questions let me know, though I don't want to go through the quests or read in-depth about the monsters.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
100 is a high level-cap for this type of game - wonder how long it takes to get there.

Level cap is 200. Good to hear about the attributes changing your leveling properties... makes it make sense to change your job every now and then ... but fuck dat cause i'm an assassin wat.

InsertNamehere: I would love a full rundown of the assassin class abilites. Passive and full on abilites... how they scale and what the high end skills actually are. If that's too spoilery for people a PM would be MAD appreciated. Also - what class attributes transfer over from leveling different jobs that would help an aspiring disc world style super killer ;)

Also - any high end weapons that really really stand out?

abundant

InsertNamehere: I would love a full rundown of the assassin class abilites. Passive and full on abilites... how they scale and what the high end skills actually are. If that's too spoilery for people a PM would be MAD appreciated. Also - what class attributes transfer over from leveling different jobs that would help an aspiring disc world style super killer ;)

Check your PM.

Hansel

Banned
Character creation in Dragon’s Dogma is handled via a robust creation system wherein the player can change nearly every part of their avatar’s body to their liking. Because size, length, and weight plays an important role in the combat, it is advisable to sit back and consider the ramifications of each choice during the creation process. A large, heavyset character will have trouble climbing trolls and mountains, whereas an small nimble character will struggle to use heavy armor and weaponry.

Is... is this for real?

Is... is this for real?

Yup. Consider carefully the build of your character before you choose their vocation.

Or don't and enjoy the challenge of using a fat, inept Strider.

Can we start being more careful with the spoilers? =P I don't know if this thread is safe anymore.
I think this is fair, given that some of you already have the game. Time to use tags, perhaps? This talk of gear and mechanics doesn't bother me at all, but i can understand why it would bother others.

ironcreed

Banned
Is... is this for real?

Very real. While a heavy character may have more trouble climbing and will lose stamina faster, they can also use their weight to hang on and prevent flying enemies from taking off, while the rest of the party goes nuts attacking. Lots of attention paid to little details like this, with advantages and disadvantages that cause you to balance your party accordingly in order to compliment each other for any given situation.

Hansel

Banned
Yup. Consider carefully the build of your character before you choose their vocation.

Or don't and enjoy the challenge of using a fat, inept Strider.

Do you know what would attributes (if any) would effect a Sorcerer?

Very real. While a heavy character may have more trouble climbing and will lose stamina faster, they can also use their weight to hang on and prevent flying enemies from taking off, while the rest of the party goes nuts attacking. Lots of attention paid to little details like this, with advantages and disadvantages that cause you to balance your party accordingly in order to compliment each other for any given situation.

Incredible.

I'm kind of scared to play a small Fighter, wonder if I should buff her up to Light or Medium...

I think the important thing to remember here is...that there is no "right build".

Some builds might be optimal, yes, but who can deny how fun it would be to play a character who's build totally contradicts their vocation? It's cool that you can have a built-in handicap like that for advanced players to experiment with. Perhaps there are hitherto unknown advantages to being Smee, the Tiniest Warrior?

Anteater

I think the important thing to remember here is...that there is no "right build".

Some builds might be optimal, yes, but who can deny how fun it would be to play a character who's build totally contradicts their vocation? It's cool that you can have a built-in handicap like that for advanced players to experiment with. Perhaps there are hitherto unknown advantages to being Smee, the Tiniest Warrior?

I'm just scared it might be tough to play as a warrior if I want some augments from the class or something, lol

I think this is a game I'd really have fun with. I love these kinds of RPGs and adventures.

I'm kind of concerned about reviews saying there's no heart, but I never thought Skyrim or Dark Souls had heart either. It's all about the nerdy goodness!

I'm also worried about DLC. I wonder how Capcom will handle it with this game.

abundant

I'm just scared it might be tough to play as a warrior if I want some augments from the class or something, lol

Yeah, a small warrior seems to be one of the worst combinations. You'll move real slow wearing heavy armor, which is a must for Warriors since they can't block or dodge, and you'll be knocked down a lot more than a large warrior.

Possibly. Heavier builds have a longer reach and the ability to wear heavier gear, but they also regenerate stamina more slowly. Having not played the game much, at least not long enough for stamina to become an issue, I can't say if the tradeoff is worth it. Really it could all depend on your personal playstyle. There's so much diversity in gear and movesets that your Fighter could be totally different from someone else's Fighter.

I think this is a game I'd really have fun with. I love these kinds of RPGs and adventures.

I'm kind of concerned about reviews saying there's no heart, but I never thought Skyrim or Dark Souls had heart either. It's all about the nerdy goodness!

I'm also worried about DLC. I wonder how Capcom will handle it with this game.
Heart is really in the eye of the beholder, I think. I see tons of heart in Skyrim while others view it as a soulless desert of a game. I think people unable to see the "heart" in DD likely went into it expecting not to. A self-fulfilling prophecy.

LProtag

Unfortunately when I was flipping through the bestiary it was... kinda small. Not much more out there than what we've seen in videos.

Oh well.

abundant

Unfortunately when I was flipping through the bestiary it was... kinda small. Not much more out there than what we've seen in videos.

Oh well.

I can confirm this. There's no new creature types we haven't seen before, just variations of them (Goblins, Harpies, Undead, Wolfs, etc.)

By unique equipment, do you mean rare items that can only be obtained once? Or items that have a unique appearance, name, or set of stats? Like in the 202 unique weapons, would you include items like "iron sword" or "steel shield"?

Either way, that sounds like a godly amount of variety.

There are items listed that have a generic stock picture for them (that looks like a salt shaker of all things)
The ones I counted all have a specific picture of the outfits/item.

There are a lot of other cloths I didn't count that had the stock photo. Stuff like prisoner cloths, fishers garb, maidens outfit, lingerie, generic robes etc...

Possibly. Heavier builds have a longer reach and the ability to wear heavier gear, but they also regenerate stamina more slowly. Having not played the game much, at least not long enough for stamina to become an issue, I can't say if the tradeoff is worth it. Really it could all depend on your personal playstyle. There's so much diversity in gear and movesets that your Fighter could be totally different from someone else's Fighter.

Heart is really in the eye of the beholder, I think. I see tons of heart in Skyrim while others view it as a soulless desert of a game. I think people unable to see the "heart" in DD likely went into it expecting not to. A self-fulfilling prophecy.

I love Skyrim and Dark Souls. They're two of my favorite RPGs of this gen. Which is why I'm wondering why some reviewers ripped Dragon's Dogma saying that it's a hollow experience.

I know reviewers tend to compare with other games that are similar, which can be unfair at times. Which is what I was thinking when I brought up the heart issue with DD.

I'm still worried about the DLC thing, though. It can't be pretty especially after SFxT.

Babalu.

had this preordered from amazon since i saw the first video of it.

GIVE ME BERSERK ARMOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how long until berserk armor hits? griffin and guts...

Main Guy - Guts

Gatts1.jpg

Pawns - Casca, Griffith, Clare

180px-10.jpg
b_griff1.jpg
28765378ep1.jpg

and after posting this i'm thinking i'm going to have to make another game with some mages to see the cool spells.

has this preordered from amazon since i saw the first video of it.

GIVE ME BESERK ARMOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

how long until berserk armor hits? griffin and guts...

Hopefully I can get my Clare out there for you in time.

Japanese medieval fantasy is really underrated.

It's not that it's small, there's just nothing new.
Way I figure, at least you have to employ different strategies to bring down different beasts. A game could have a bestiary twice DD's size but it wouldn't matter if all you had to do to them was hack them to death ala Elder Scrolls. If we don't have incredible diversity in creatures, at least our encounters with said creatures will be diverse.

ironcreed

Banned
Small bestiary? You guys make it sound bad.

Just off the top of my head.

Griffins
Chimeras
Hydras
Drakes
Dragons
Bandits
Goblins
Wolves
Saurians (lizardmen)
Skeletons
Undead
Phantoms
Sorcerers
Cockatrices
Harpies
Cyclops
Trolls
Beholder
Ogres

I am sure there are more. Looks pretty good to me as it is, though.

abundant

It's not that it's small, there's just nothing new.

Exactly. We've seen every creature type in the game, so there's nothing really new we haven't seen before. There are a lot of variations of creatures we've seen though, like goblins and hobgoblins or wolfs and dire wolfs.

Griffins
Chimeras
Hydras
Drakes
Dragons
Bandits
Goblins
Wolves
Saurians (lizardmen)
Skeletons
Undead
Phantoms
Sorcerers
Cockatrices
Harpies
Cyclops
Trolls
Beholder
Ogres

This is every creature type in the game. There are a lot of variations of those creatures, but that is it.

Wallachia

Griffins
Chimeras
Hydras
Drakes
Dragons
Bandits
Goblins
Wolves
Saurians (lizardmen)
Skeletons
Undead
Phantoms
Sorcerers
Cockatrices
Harpies
Cyclops
Trolls
Beholder
Ogres

Well that's Spoiler fucking riffic.. but thanks. Nice amount. I hope there are at least 5-10 more though.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Check your PM.

I seriously heart you. You have earned your avi my good man.

UNF at those top tier skills. It's decided for me. All single hand sword skills with a bow. Only on occasion will i bust out my shield from inventory .. cause i need 6 skill slots for ALL THE DEATH

Wallachia

That is the enemies that have been showcased in hours of footage. Sorry that I remembered them all, lol.

Fair point :) In that case, I remember seeing a 'Death' type enemy in some Catacomb level. Could have been a 'sorcerer' to you though.

My Capcom store copy came in today. Playing tonight!

ironcreed

Banned
Fair point :) In that case, I remember seeing a 'Death' type enemy in some Catacomb level. Could have been a 'sorcerer' to you though.

My Capcom store copy came in today. Playing tonight!

Oh yeah! Those Lich King looking guys, right? Totally forgot about them. They are definitely different than the sorcerers in black robes that run around at night.

Congrats on getting your copy. Mine left Atlanta this afternoon and I am only an hour and a half away in North Ga. I will hopefully get it tomorrow, but should definitely have it by Saturday.

Top Bottom