• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma |OT| For the night is dark and full of terrors

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
They really have geared the assassin as a standout loner type of class. Augments for playing alone (without pawns), playing at night and going stealth/poison's/group damage...

even a little bit of Wander fan love with the high end attacks. I'm gonna play the holy SHIT out of this class.

Anyone with the players guide... is there a way to tell your personal pawn to stay at the town or go back to the rift? So we don't have to throw our homies over a cliff just to play by ourselves?

ironcreed

Banned
oxm uk's review is up, they gave the game an 8, it's 3 pages long:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/41418/reviews/dragons-dogma-review/?page=1

they also put up a Q&A for all the questions people asked about the game, along with new videos:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/41635/features/dragons-dogma-your-questions-answered/

Solid indeed.

"When you first head out into the wilderness of Gransys, you'll be ill-equipped, weak, and you'll probably get killed. Characters will tell you not to travel at night, and advise you to stick close to the roads. Caves do contain treasure, yes, but usually death as well. Dragon's Dogma is a ruthless reminder that too many fantasy games have lost their sense of adventure.

You'll set off on a quest at the crack of dawn, in the hope of reaching your destination before the sun sets. When it starts to get dark, you'll be faced with tough choices. The forest to your left looks like it might be a shortcut, but you've got no idea what's lurking in there. Quick-travel is only possible with rare single-use items, which gives every journey a real sense of tension. There are friendly faces out there, but you'll have to find where. In the meantime, don't be too quick to trust distant campfires."

"The level of thought and detail that's gone into the combat is the sort of thing we've been dreaming of ever since we first played an RPG."

Now that is what I'm talking about.

Arcteryx

Great review. Actually sounds like they tried to review it based solely upon merits and not bs comparisons to "like" games.

Anteater

The Q&A confirms that there will be surprises at the end but they don't want to spoil it, good stuff :D

Have you come across any /minor/middling/glaring bugs?

Dragon's Dogma on Xbox 360 is plagued by a major technical problem: The game can't load enemies and characters quickly enough, which results in some major pop-in problems. Installing the game helps a little bit, but many will still find this hugely problematic. Dragon's Dogma's rough edges are mostly charming, but this particular issue is spectacularly bad. It wasn't enough to stop us from absolutely falling in love in the game, but we can imagine that some people won't be as forgiving. If you absolutely refuse to tolerate bugs, it might be wise to approach this one with caution.

Seems like the negative is mostly on the technical side

Is there a new game+ and what is it like?

There is a New Game + mode, which lets you carry over all your experience and items. It might have been the case that we'd levelled up too much, but we personally found NG+ rather easy, especially in contrast to the brutal end-game enemies that we'd faced before it. NG+ is still fun, but some might prefer to just stay in the end-game. We didn't get to test the semi co-operative Ur-Dragon stuff, but it's worth having a look before you decide to start over.

fml, so new game+ is pretty straight forward, will probably solo the second playthrough, unless there are other changes they were not aware of

Dresden

Solid indeed.

"When you first head out into the wilderness of Gransys, you'll be ill-equipped, weak, and you'll probably get killed. Characters will tell you not to travel at night, and advise you to stick close to the roads. Caves do contain treasure, yes, but usually death as well. Dragon's Dogma is a ruthless reminder that too many fantasy games have lost their sense of adventure.

You'll set off on a quest at the crack of dawn, in the hope of reaching your destination before the sun sets. When it starts to get dark, you'll be faced with tough choices. The forest to your left looks like it might be a shortcut, but you've got no idea what's lurking in there. Quick-travel is only possible with rare single-use items, which gives every journey a real sense of tension. There are friendly faces out there, but you'll have to find where. In the meantime, don't be too quick to trust distant campfires."

"The level of thought and detail that's gone into the combat is the sort of thing we've been dreaming of ever since we first played an RPG."

Nah we should just go play Skyrim instead.

Anteater

Is the crafting system deep, and how is the equipment variety?

There isn't a crafting system in the game, which feels like the game's strangest oversight. Items you collect from murdered foes can be used to upgrade your gear and weaponry, but there's no opportunity to actually make your own stuff. There's an empty blacksmith building in the city, so we can't help but feel that they intended to include it, but ended up running out of time. Aspects like this don't ruin the game, but definitely form a major part of the issues we had with the game in our review.

huh, so most armors are from looting, and materials are for upgrading them?

Solid indeed.

I like this.

Anteater

This guy is great, he did a much better job explaining things than Capcom did

Also I find this interesting:

How do choices impact the plot?

We had to make about three or four major decisions during the course of the main story, but we aren't entirely sure how much of an impact these actually had. You can only have one save file in the game and it updates itself on an automatic basis, so we couldn't try out the cheeky trick of reloading the game and trying something different. Unless we've been entirely tricked by smoke and mirrors though, we get the impression that the choices are significant. Most take place near the end of the game, and the choices we made seemed to have severely dramatic consequences. Part of me wishes that there aren't multiple endings, just because the one I got was brilliant and strange in equal measure. I'll steer well away from anything that's a spoiler, but honestly - there's no chance you'll see this one coming.

He did say that there was tons left to do and maybe even different endings.

Gotcha. Whatever the case, there's always NG+ and replaying with a different vocation or composition of pawns. But I really hope a single playthrough can last 60+ hours. That would make me very happy.

Santiako

Solid indeed.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

The talk about crazy end game is making me think about aliens invading or some crazy thing like that.

ironcreed

Banned
Gotcha. Whatever the case, there's always NG+ and replaying with a different vocation or composition of pawns. But I really hope a single playthrough can last 60+ hours. That would make me very happy.

Yep, the vocations are so varied that playing again with different builds will be a must. Also, with side quests and exploring you should easily be able to get that much out of it. Robert Cram from Microsoft Xbox World was at 50 hours and still did not even uncover all of the map. He is way past that mark and still playing as well.

Anteater

What is the voice acting like?

Bad

KuGsj.gif

Hope the towns and cities are fun to explore and depict some varied architecture and style. That one video made me a little wary.

Edit: wasn't it confirmed that there are same sex romancing options?

RPGCrazied

Solid indeed.

Sure hope this isn't demon/dark souls difficulty. The demo wasn't that bad, but please no. That's why I never got dark souls, demon souls was brutal.

Wallachia

Oh yeah! Those Lich King looking guys, right? Totally forgot about them. They are definitely different than the sorcerers in black robes that run around at night.

Congrats on getting your copy. Mine left Atlanta this afternoon and I am only an hour and a half away in North Ga. I will hopefully get it tomorrow, but should definitely have it by Saturday.

Right, it WAS a Lich. Love liches.. I even have a D&D DracoLich miniature on my shelf (geek).

DUUUUUDE! check out the helm and armor in this video, plua a lol fall at the beginning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OyRhXjdqa1Y#!

Anteater

Hope the towns and cities are fun to explore and depict some varied architecture and style. That one video made me a little wary.

Edit: wasn't it confirmed that there are same sex romancing options?

On Capcom's faq, yeah, but in the earlier stream they actually said no and says there was an affinity level with npcs (the faq went up right after), but I don't know if it's a translation error or what, but oxm uk answered with this:

Are there any romances?

You can make people like you more by gifting them items, but we didn't get around to doing this enough to see what happens when you hit the max affinity level. We gave a skull to a lady though, and she seemed pretty chuffed. Weird lass. There is a romance storyline that pops up to be a part of the main game, but we're not entirely sure how optional this is. As mentioned earlier, the single-save setup meant that we couldn't go back and try and do things differently.

So I wouldn't think it's going to be too deep if there's one.

Karak

Some of the technical news seems off-putting. It now looks like both systems have a fair amount of problems. Then the weirdness of the answers to some of the questions like is there weather? Especially the strangeness of having weather patterns including rainclouds but no particular effects of rain which would of course bring an even larger hit to FPS. So you get everything that would make you assume there would be rain and snow and yet no actual weather effects at all in the game. RPG with various other effects and strides towards making the environment count that absence is worrisome all the more.
I am wondering if this thing is held together with hope and bubblegum :( It sounds like they pushed the engine past its golden point.
I am think I am going to gamefly rather than buy this one.

LProtag

Oh, as for equipment, there's 8 slots. You get two for your torso, a clothes slot and an armor slot. Same goes for your legs. Then you get a slot each for head, arms, jewellery and a cape.

So basically you can wear something like a shirt and then some chainmail or maybe a robe over it. There's different clothes and armor types of items.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
For some reason I could have sworn I read about this game having finishing moves like decapitations or cutting limbs off... am I dreaming this or is it there?

There is a New Game + mode, which lets you carry over all your experience and items. It might have been the case that we'd levelled up too much, but we personally found NG+ rather easy, especially in contrast to the
brutal end-game enemies
that we'd faced before it. NG+ is still fun, but some might prefer to just stay in the end-game. We didn't get to test the semi co-operative Ur-Dragon stuff, but it's worth having a look before you decide to start over.

Sounds good. Nothing is worse than trampling over enemies/bosses that are supposed to be "the real deal" ala Fallout 3.

Mike M

Nick N
How does the pawn exchange work? Do people just download a copy of my pawn and the pawn on my end will display increased knowledge, or do they leave my party for the duration?

oxm uk's review is up, they gave the game an 8, it's 3 pages long:

http://www.oxm.co.uk/41418/reviews/dragons-dogma-review/?page=1

oxm review said:
It's a problem made worse by technical glitches which mean enemies and characters take too long to load and pop in a few seconds later than they should. Capcom says, plausibly, that installing the game to the hard drive will reduce this - but we couldn't test it on our review version.

WTF, do they not own a Xbox with a hard drive?

Canada-GAF!

Anyone have line of sight to if the game is already in stores backrooms?

I ask because I'm wondering if we're going to get screwed because of the long weekend and the holiday monday?

My tender heart will be cloven in twain if I have to wait until wednesday or thursday of next week.

Mikey Jr.

I played the demo, and the prologue part was kinda mehhh.

The one where you are outside as an archer was way better.

Canada-GAF!

Anyone have line of sight to if the game is already in stores backrooms?

I ask because I'm wondering if we're going to get screwed because of the long weekend and the holiday monday?

My tender heart will be cloven in twain if I have to wait until wednesday or thursday of next week.

EB has it. They mentioned having it in the back when I picked up Diablo.

Top Bottom