• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drakengard 3 |OT| This Silence Is Mine

I finally beat it!

By beat it, I mean I gave up and watched the ending on youtube. My heart couldn't take the anxiety of the final boss, truly a sign of getting old. :\

It's a shame that there's a lot of interesting writing in the game, but it's locked away behind repetitive tasks. As far as rewards for doing stuff, a fascinating paragraph of text is pretty great, but I actually wished there was significantly less filler.

I spent a while looking up stuff on the wiki, and it's a shame how much of neat stuff is only vaguely hinted at in the game.
Gabriella's transition into Gabriel, Zero's childhood, making the connections to Nier and Drakengard 1 more explicit (particularly what happens with Brother), and a host of other smaller elements.
These would have been great to see in the actual game in one way or another, instead of hunting down tidbits from mangas and novellas, but I suppose that's just Taro Yoko's way.

Overall, I'm grateful that a game like this even exists. On the whole as budgets go up, themes and characters in modern gaming are skewing towards the bland (particularly jrpgs), and this is rare unpolished gem gives me hope that there'll always be esoteric auteur games that makes me want to hear the next line of beautifully written dialogue.

Sadly, I can't possibly imagine it being anything but a super bomb in the US though, relative to its localization budget, with all the hoops you have to jump through to get it.

Pandacon

Well, been playing this. I am enjoying the game, got all the way up the branch d roadblock. Not too sure if I want to continue, I want to see what happens, but the grinding is going to be a pain. If I enjoyed the gameplay a bit more perhaps I wouldn't be so apprehensive.

Disappointing in a way, I was really looking forward to seeing how everything ties up in the end. Kinda wish I knew I had to buy all the weapons, then I wouldn't of spent so much money on upgrading.

Well, been playing this. I am enjoying the game, got all the way up the branch d roadblock. Not too sure if I want to continue, I want to see what happens, but the grinding is going to be a pain. If I enjoyed the gameplay a bit more perhaps I wouldn't be so apprehensive.

Disappointing in a way, I was really looking forward to seeing how everything ties up in the end. Kinda wish I knew I had to buy all the weapons, then I wouldn't of spent so much money on upgrading.

I'd say go for it. Branch D has some important revelations which you shouldn't miss imo. The grindig is not that bad if you've managed to find the chest weapons.

@topic

30$ for the DLC chapters in total? Waiting for a sale then, that's ridiculous and I know that they are prett shitty gameplaywise anyway.

The grinding isn't as bad as it might seem at first, it goes by quickly if you abuse a trick or two.

30$ for the DLC chapters in total? Waiting for a sale then, that's ridiculous and I know that they are prett shitty gameplaywise anyway.
Personally, the only real standouts were Two and Four, and even then they weren't spectacular. $5 total is a fairer price, especially considering Three's dlc is just lazy
arena
battles and Zero's is the longest and worst
dragon flying
segmented in the whole game.

I finally beat it!

By beat it, I mean I gave up and watched the ending on youtube. My heart couldn't take the anxiety of the final boss, truly a sign of getting old. :\

I kept trying for about a week, but in the end this is what I did too. That final boss is not fun, it's just unfair and annoying.

Holykael1

Banned
This final boss.... Hnnmmmh such delectable pain.
Edit:: I failed at the final note, fuck this shit.. shit shit fuck
Edit2: I'm giving up for today. I rarely manage to get the stupid video in sync with my goddamn fucking game. I got as far as all the sisters twice.. It'ss already 4:30 AM I should resume my torture tomorrow.
Edit3: WHY U DO THIS DO ME YOKO TARO. WHY WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. Now im serious. Im quitting and going to bed.

cj_iwakura

Wow. Ending B... that escalated quickly. Great stuff.

Such fascinating characters, I'm sure I won't see nearly enough of them.

And I dig Three's cryptic poetry a lot.

Holykael1

Banned
Well I youtubed the ending.
I failed three fucking times on that final note where you can't even see the fucking thing coming. Right when the dialogue starts. I'm not going to lose my sanity over 1 button press. For all intents and purposes this is beaten.
Excellent game bogged down by the worst final boss in the history of ever.

I actually love that the music in this game (especially if you listen to the intoner mode of the songs) and Nier is so crucial to the tone, that music is woven into the theme of the game with the intoners and recordings.

Having the final boss be the culmination of the musical motifs of the game is just a staggeringly beautiful decision, implemented in a hilariously frustrating way.

If my controller were a living human's skull I would have crushed it without remorse after missing that final note for the sixth time, but I appreciate how purposefully sadistic it is.

Holykael1

Banned
I actually love that the music in this game (especially if you listen to the intoner mode of the songs) and Nier is so crucial to the tone, that music is woven into the theme of the game with the intoners and recordings.

Having the final boss be the culmination of the musical motifs of the game is just a staggeringly beautiful decision, implemented in a hilariously frustrating way.

If my controller were a living human's skull I would have crushed it without remorse after missing that final note for the sixth time, but I appreciate how purposefully sadistic it is.

Well.. They could have made it.. fair at least. The problem is in the implementation and I don't really have sadistic tendencies to this level. The idea itself is great like you described.
The music is indeed of the utmost quality, even if a step down from Nier. Kuroi Uta is delicious.

Golnei

The music is indeed of the utmost quality, even if a step down from Nier. Kuroi Uta is delicious.

Although I do love the soundtrack we got, it was a slight disappointment that we didn't get to hear Emi Evans make up fake languages again. Or even sing an English version of The Black Song; ordinarily, I'd not be so eager to hear a translation, but her lyrics for Ashes of Dreams were very fitting.

Well. I decided to try and beat that shit final boss again. Can't get it out of my mind.
I must be a bit masochistic.
You could probably hold the controller and "play" that bit on the youtube video at a reasonable time stamp a few times to try and get a vague idea of the timing on it.

You could probably hold the controller and "play" that bit on the youtube video at a reasonable time stamp a few times to try and get a vague idea of the timing on it.

That's exactly what I did, I'm terrible at rhythm games and just trying to do it over and over again got really frustrating.

For grinding cash for weapons and shit I did the third survival (or was it fourth? One of those : ). It gives about 200k each time you beat it, just use a spear with triangle mash move that repeatedly keeps attacking ( the one I used was final knell or something named similar).

Holykael1

Banned
I'm starting to get obsessive over wanting to beat this. I already had my fill for the day but I'm going to be trying this for 1 hour every day until I do it. I can sync the video every time now perfectly. It's a great advancement!

cj_iwakura

There's one ambient stage in particular that seems to say 'Nier guy did this'. I think it's in the forest, and it's my fav.

There was a shocking revelation which hit me the other day (D1 and D3 final boss spoiler)

So the final boss in D1 is basically all that's left of Zero?

Depressing if true. Strange that I didn't connect the dots earlier...

There was a shocking revelation which hit me the other day (D1 and D3 final boss spoiler)

So the final boss in D1 is basically all that's left of Zero?

Depressing if true. Strange that I didn't connect the dots earlier...
I think that's so goddamn fantastic.

THE BELLS

AlucardGV

Banned
so i guess they don't have any intention to patch it? dlc for european version don't work and a little fix on the framerate would be great....

Kusagari

The final boss is making me want to ram my head into a wall. Using the sync video I can get to when they all begin to sing and then I always die on the rapid 6-7, however long, note.

Astarte

Finally worked up the motivation to platinum this game and delete it from my hard drive forever. It was an interesting experience, but I snapped on the final boss. The first drakengard's 'final boss' was a better experience.

cj_iwakura

Almost at the end of D, one question about the reveals...
How did Zero die two years ago? She had the flower before the prologue, so that can't be how..

Edit2: I'm giving up for today. I rarely manage to get the stupid video in sync with my goddamn fucking game. I got as far as all the sisters twice.. It'ss already 4:30 AM I should resume my torture tomorrow.
Edit3: WHY U DO THIS DO ME YOKO TARO. WHY WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. Now im serious. Im quitting and going to bed.

My one tip for the final boss is to close your eyes during the battle. You only need to pay attention to the sounds, not the visuals unlike D2(god, that black/white alternating really did mess you up!)

Almost at the end of D, one question about the reveals...
How did Zero die two years ago? She had the flower before the prologue, so that can't be how..

Read the prequel Novellas. Here's the long short of it:
Zero had incredibly shitty childhood. Sold into all sorts of slavery, escapes after much turmoil and backstabbing. proceeds to become increasingly angry. She became a serial killer/robber, got caught, got executed alongside some other rebels, flower shows up and saves her.

cj_iwakura

Read the prequel Novellas. Here's the long short of it:
Zero had incredibly shitty childhood. Sold into all sorts of slavery, escapes after much turmoil and backstabbing. proceeds to become increasingly angry. She became a serial killer/robber, got caught, got executed alongside some other rebels, flower shows up and saves her.

Oh yeah... figured it was something else.

I'm at the final boss now.

Ow.

Xenoflare

Hit the final note the moment when "I... I had a lot of fun" subtitle appears on screen.

Watch carefully.

Holykael1

Banned
I already lost interest in beating it honestly xD
I'm ok with it, I was going to try it out of OCD but I decided that I was going to replay the game a couple of years down the road and do it then.

I have a serious issue understanding the part with Zero's flower

She told that the flower was responsible for the creation of her sisters. That's all fine and stuff, but how come that she fights her sisters in the prologue chapter without having her flower? That's a bit anachronistic to me and does not match her prologue short sotry at all, let alone what Zero tells you in the actual game.

Holykael1

Banned

She told that the flower was responsible for the creation of her sisters. That's all fine and stuff, but how come that she fights her sisters in the prologue chapter without having her flower? That's a bit anachronistic to me and does not match her prologue short sotry at all, let alone what Zero tells you in the actual game.

Yeah that's pretty weird... Nice catch.

Soulhouf

From what I understand the flower appears only after a certain amount of time after the infection.

There is something I don't get though...
Did we get an explanation why Zero has an artificial hand if she's able to regenerate herself?

Holykael1

Banned
From what I understand the flower appears only after a certain amount of time after the infection.

That explanation doesn't work because
she created the intoners by trying to rip the flower off from her eye. However it might just be that the flower moved to somewhere else in her body(possible because the other intoners are also infected and they don't have the flower in their eye) and then went back to her eye for some reason..idk

That explanation doesn't work because
she created the intoners by trying to rip the flower off from her eye. However it might just be that the flower moved to somewhere else in her body(possible because the other intoners are also infected and they don't have the flower in their eye) and then went back to her eye for some reason..idk

I think your explanation makes sense. It's still odd as it appears to be a conscious decision and a really striking one too if you think about it. but at the same time its really not that important to point this out via cutscenes - if your explanation is correct, that is.

Weird.

Drakengard.

Top Bottom