• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drakengard 3 |OT| This Silence Is Mine

How you unlock Branch D?

Collect all weapons, and complete all Lost Verses.

Also its a good game. Not the best, nor the worst, but performs on a technical level pretty poorly often. If you enjoyed Drakengard/Nier's narrative, this is derisive in that its a different beast even with the 3 moniker, its only loosely tied to DOD1 in the end in terms of legacy gameplay (i.e. very few dragon sequences let alone free dragon summoning). As I said a few posts ago and many other have echoed similarly, its a flawed, unique experience that I personally found very enjoyable.

Dio

Banned
I really like it too. Even though it crashed my PS3 once, and occasionally drops to a really low framerate, I'm enjoying the game immensely. They sure as hell made the actual combat WAY more interesting than Drakengard has ever been. Doing paydays and side missions is fun as hell and quite challenging in some respects - I only just started Branch B, and I'm having fun trying to kill all the gold soldiers in payday stages.. There's a bunch of little things that really make the game for me, too, even with its glaring flaws.

Gaf census?
Given i'll import it in case, is it a decent game or shovelware?
As an action game, it's not great. In terms of gameplay, it's right along side DMC 2.

The music, characters, voice acting and story are all pretty great though. If you go in expecting very little from the gameplay itself, you will enjoy it. At least until you have to start grinding to get Branch D. You may not even see the ending due to the last boss though.

I'd say, if you're interested at all, wait until it's like $20.

Clov

Personally I loved it, but if you're a fan of the first Drakengard or Nier, be aware that this is a very different beast. Despite having the Drakengard name, and being from Yoko Taro, it doesn't have the same sort of bizarre, corrupted and insane world as the first game. I still found myself wanting to continue playing just to see what would happen to the characters next, though. It's very strange in its own way.

I noticed in the credits that Hidetaka Suehiro (the director of Deadly Premonition) was credited as a producer. It makes sense, given that he works at Access Games, but I'm curious as to how much influence he had over the game. Maybe some of Drakengard 3's strangeness and humor comes from him; not that I'm complaining or anything.

cj_iwakura

That's very interesting to know he was involved.

Taro's GDC speech made it sound like he didn't have much of a role in this, that he really was just supervisory. I think the core story is compelling, it's how it will all play out that I'm skeptical of.

D3 has a great world and premise, but it's not very fleshed out. Part of me wishes this was a Nier-scope game with towns and such. It'd add a lot.

Clov

That's very interesting to know he was involved.

Taro's GDC speech made it sound like he didn't have much of a role in this, that he really was just supervisory. I think the core story is compelling, it's how it will all play out that I'm skeptical of.

D3 has a great world and premise, but it's not very fleshed out. Part of me wishes this was a Nier-scope game with towns and such. It'd add a lot.

Yeah, giving the game that sort of style would have really fleshed the world out. I'm really hoping that this game does decently enough to get another installment, or at least something else from Yoko Taro. Even if he was less involved in this than Drakengard 1 and Nier, it still absolutely feels like his work. It was a miracle that this game came out and was localized in the first place; here's hoping that a second miracle will occur.

hoggert

I thought that Access Games developing/Swery involvement this was pretty well known? I remember reading about it a while back before D3 was announced for the West. Didn't suprise me too much after those the Lord of games they did for the PSP for Squenix.

Clov

I thought that Access Games developing/Swery involvement this was pretty well known? I remember reading about it a while back before D3 was announced for the West. Didn't suprise me too much after those the Lord of games they did for the PSP for Squenix.

Oh I knew that Access Games was developing, I just didn't realize that Swery had a role in it. I really should have, because in hindsight it seems obvious.

The problem is that that wikia contains a lot of errors and the English cast has no sources to credit them at all. It credited Laura Bailey for Accord before.

Yeah thats the rub with wikia I guess. Though its most definitely not Laura Bailey haha. I do think they got Accord''s actress correct now as it sound exactly like Devola/Popola from nier. Tara Platt and Yuri Lowenthal are also confirmed for sure. The only one I'm confused about is Cam Clarke as Decadeus, I thought it was Papa Nier's voice actor...

Xenoflare

Yeah thats the rub with wikia I guess. Though its most definitely not Laura Bailey haha. I do think they got Accord''s actress correct now as it sound exactly like Devola/Popola from nier. Tara Platt and Yuri Lowenthal are also confirmed for sure. The only one I'm confused about is Cam Clarke as Decadeus, I thought it was Papa Nier's voice actor...

I thought so too.

I'm pretty sure Four is Cristina Vee, her Noel voice is unmistakable.

Three does sounds like Stephanie Sheh, but at times she sounded like Mela Lee too, but I tend to think it's Sheh.

One, as I said before, doesn't sound like Michelle Ruff later on in the game, something's off.

Two is Kate Higgins. I'm sure of it.

I have no idea why Cam Clarke is credited instead of Jamieson Price. No confirmations from the two VA's whatsoever.

I thought so too.

I'm pretty sure Four is Cristina Vee, her Noel voice is unmistakable.

Three does sounds like Stephanie Sheh, but at times she sounded like Mela Lee too, but I tend to think it's Sheh.

One, as I said before, doesn't sound like Michelle Ruff later on in the game, something's off.

Two is Kate Higgins. I'm sure of it.

I have no idea why Cam Clarke is credited instead of Jamieson Price. No confirmations from the two VA's whatsoever.

Yeah thats not Ruff, Not a lick of old Fujiko in that voice lol! And it has to be Jamieson Price, I want it to be!

yea, i'll wait for a price drop. square made it real easy for us to wait.

It's on sale for $40.59 on amazon right now, if anyone is interested.

I'm on the verge of completing this game. Just need to beat Branch D final boss, and upgrade my left over weapons that require Black base material. However, I don't think I want to deal with the final boss. I don't think it's worth it.

Man, that final Boss makes me want do drop this game instantly. Such bullshit! And I've been enjoying the game mostly up until now. :(

Who thought it was a good idea to
completely change the basic gameplay for the final boss that gates the (probably) best ending? A rythm game? Really? I'll never beat that!

Holy shit, I've never gone from enjoying a game despite some glaing flaws to absolutely frustrated this fast. I guess I'm done. :/

Xenoflare

Man, that final Boss makes me want do drop this game instantly. Such bullshit! And I've been enjoying the game mostly up until now. :(

Who thought it was a good idea to
completely change the basic gameplay for the final boss that gates the (probably) best ending? A rythm game? Really? I'll never beat that!

Holy shit, I've never gone from enjoying a game despite some glaing flaws to absolutely frustrated this fast. I guess I'm done. :/

Remember that the team made this game hates the player. Please refer to
Ending E of Drakengard 1

They basically said that they did it to frustrate people.

Ending E of Drakengard 1

Yeah, no joke. It felt exactly like that on my first try at the boss. I didn't even know what to do since I couldn't move or anything.
I dunno...I really suck at this kind of game, but I don't wanna just watch the ending on youtube either.
All this grinding to reach Branch D and then this....at least it's a genuine surprise I guess since I never played the previous two games.

Xenoflare

Yeah, no joke. It felt exactly like that on my first try at the boss. I didn't even know what to do since I couldn't move or anything.
I dunno...I really suck at this kind of game, but I don't wanna just watch the ending on youtube either.
All this grinding to reach Branch D and then this....at least it's a genuine surprise I guess since I never played the previous two games.

This also happens in Nier.

The final ending wipes your savedata completely

Xenoflare

The final notes of the Final song does nothing but to troll people, they made an explicit effort of making it unbeatable on first try.

I just got to the branch D boss...
I can't get passed Four, the camera angles...

Edit:
I managed to get to Two. So far my impressions of it is that it is very well designed, to be complete bullshit. I love it, but I'm tired of it for now.

I just got to the branch D boss...
I can't get passed Four, the camera angles...

Edit:
I managed to get to Two. So far my impressions of it is that it is very well designed, to be complete bullshit. I love it, but I'm tired of it for now.

Yeah, I got to (I think) the last round but I keep messing up. It helps to mainly focus on the rhythm than looking at that ring approaching you.

The song gives you two measures worth of notes, and the next two measure you copy. There are whole notes, half notes, etc. Idk if that helps lol

Ending E of Drakengard 1

I went and googled Drakengard 1 Ending E (don't do it) I think I prefer that to D3's crazy cra...wait never mind holy shit all those white and black rings at once in no pattern at all SERIOUSLY FUCK YOU!!

But seriously, I don't understand why this is so hard for me. I'm usually GREAT at these types of things. RAAAAAGE

Quick and dirty DLC review, after Ending C but before Ending D.

ZERO -
Didn't play it yet, I heard it's better to finish Ending D first
ONE -
Ends right when it gets interesting, maybe what I'm looking for is in Ending D. Fighting with just the chakram is a test of endurance.
TWO -
Backloaded 5 minutes of pretty good plot stretched out into 40.
THREE -
Terrible arena battles
FOUR -
A much more interesting character than the main game led you to believe
FIVE -
Fun tongue-in-cheek fun throwaway storyline with a unique boss battle at the end.

The main narrative highlight is seeing
Gabriel
before the events of the story, which is handled incredibly well. Having not finished Ending D though, I don't know how much of that overlaps with the main game or not.

They give you a huge chunk of cash to help with the grindwall needed to get Ending D, and so they're certainly better than playing Accord missions over and over. But they really should have been part of the main game, being so short and unimportant. As nice as they sometimes are, none of them feel remotely worth $5-6.

I'm so glad that we live in a world where a sex-themed janky action RPG with a phenomenal localization can exist, but Square certainly seems like mishandling the game as much as possible.

Listening to the official OST, the kinda generic stage themes become Nier-levels of godly once the intoner vocals kick in.

Makes going intoner in-game all the more special and rewarding, but the music feels incomplete without it now.

ys45

Well that's it I'm done with this game I tried really hard to like it, Played till end of chapter 5 (dragon/One boss fight)
Then I realized All the chapters left and I told myself NOPE I'm not gonna make it to the last chapter like this .

Story is not interesting I don't like the characters the only thing this game made me want to do is go back and play Drakengard 1 and 2 (which I already finished).

So dissapointed with this game -_- was this game made by the same guy who did Drakengard 1/2 and Nier story ?

Clov

Well, he didn't do Drakengard 2. Personally I'm surprised that anyone could like that game. It plays better than the first, but the story was just so boring and forgettable compared to the original.

It's too bad that 3 just wasn't your thing. It's different than both the original and Nier, so fans of those might not like this one. You gave it a good shot though; if you didn't like that much of the game, then you won't like the rest.

Well, he didn't do Drakengard 2. Personally I'm surprised that anyone could like that game. It plays better than the first, but the story was just so boring and forgettable compared to the original.

It's too bad that 3 just wasn't your thing. It's different than both the original and Nier, so fans of those might not like this one. You gave it a good shot though; if you didn't like that much of the game, then you won't like the rest.

I never played any of the previous Drakengards nor Nier, so maybe that's why I didn't have any problems with the game. I just bought Nier though, so I'll be playing that really soon. I may try Drakengard 1/2. I'm curious to see how bad 3 is compared to the previous ones.

ys45

Yeah well I'm usually not too picky on games, but it need to have a good story I enjoy at least .
Oh and I just checked that
branch D final fight
everyone keep talking about all I can say is thumbs up to people who beat the game because I would not have that patience !

Narroo

So, is this game depressing like the first two games? Do all the characters get screwed over? I want that cute Dragon to have a happy ending.

So, is this game depressing like the first two games? Do all the characters get screwed over? I want that cute Dragon to have a happy ending.
It boldly continues that tradition of having a hopeless tone.

That being said, the game is hilarious. Look forward to a guy giving false trivia about gourds during a boss battle.

Only one weapon away from the requirement to unlock Ending D, the earning process has been terrible but nowhere near as bad Nier. For any gameplay complaint or decision I could give this game, Nier has given me the perspective to appreciate how it used to be much, much worse.

It boldly continues that tradition of having a hopeless tone.

That being said, the game is hilarious. Look forward to a guy giving false trivia about gourds during a boss battle.

Only one weapon away from the requirement to unlock Ending D, the earning process has been terrible but nowhere near as bad Nier. For any gameplay complaint or decision I could give this game, Nier has given me the perspective to appreciate how it used to be much, much worse.
Yikes, I just bought Nier and was thinking about playing it sometime soon. Money farming wasn't bad, just repetitive. But if Nier is worst, then idk anymore lol.

I do like the interaction between Zero, Mikhail, and the disciples. That kept the gameplay interesting.

Yikes, I just bought Nier and was thinking about playing it sometime soon. Money farming wasn't bad, just repetitive. But if Nier is worst, then idk anymore lol.
You should still totally play it! It still is filled to the brim with interesting ideas done nowhere else.

Just NEVER do any of the sidequests, and look deep into your soul before deciding whether or not you want to actually get the final ending of the game, or watch it on youtube instead.

Sera O

Banned
I finally beat the final boss. I've had a good amount of
music training
, but it turns out the mental factor of having more at risk the further you go really messed with my execution a lot. I don't even want to know how many tries I gave this. Tips ahead in case it helps anyone get past this.

My method was to rested the controller on a cushion in my lap, and then alternate using square and triangle with index and middle fingers, piano style. At first one button is fine, but starting with One's eighth notes it helps a lot.

For the part with all five sisters singing, the parts that one would think were eighth notes - I had way more success trying for sixteenths in pairs with a pause to synch with the beat in between. This helps a LOT for the bar that has 6 eighths, a rest, and then another one. For one thing, you only have to count to 3 as the two finger press is like one rolling motion. You get penalized for being late but you can get away with being a little early.

Use the fluctuating of the drone to track the ritardando/slowdown at the end of the song for the last sung note on black screen. The final button-press after that one is synched to the appearance of Mikhail's second line onscreen, so get into twitch-mode when Zero goes "Yeah?" - don't miss that.

Even knowing all this, I had issues with execution and often died on a dumb mistake. I wrote down the rhythms down for the first 3 sisters because watching the screen made me fuck up more.

The platinum for this game seems way more doable than Nier's now that that's done, assuming I get lucky on some of those Accord requests. Nothing like trying to get that necklace thing in the desert of Nier; that was a nightmare.

The platinum for this game seems way more doable than Nier's now that that's done, assuming I get lucky on some of those Accord requests. Nothing like trying to get that necklace thing in the desert of Nier; that was a nightmare.

You don't need to get lucky. Once you upgrade all weapons you get a costume that gives you infinite blood meter. The platinum is just a matter of spending time to grind for gold.

Sera O

Banned
You don't need to get lucky. Once you upgrade all weapons you get a costume that gives you infinite blood meter. The platinum is just a matter of spending time to grind for gold.

Wow really? With infinite intoner mode, it would totally be achievable. I've yet to get through the DLC chapters I bought too, so it's time to make some moneys.

Christhor

You should still totally play it! It still is filled to the brim with interesting ideas done nowhere else.

Just NEVER do any of the sidequests, and look deep into your soul before deciding whether or not you want to actually get the final ending of the game, or watch it on youtube instead.

Fuck that. Ending D is one of the best parts of Nier and should definitely be experienced blind. Watching it on youtube ruins everything about it. It's not like it's tough to get the weapons in Nier, you get most of them naturally through your playthrough. You only have to grind if you want to get the plat, not to get Ending D.

Dio

Banned
Depends. I finished all sidequests, beat Branch D, and then upgraded all weapons last. I know you can do it other ways, but I think this way was the fastest.

Top Bottom