• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drakengard 3 |OT| This Silence Is Mine

Depends. I finished all sidequests, beat Branch D, and then upgraded all weapons last. I know you can do it other ways, but I think this way was the fastest.

What is faster about that method? Doing the all the sidequests first is fine if you want, but it's not faster than breezing through them within infinite intoner mode.

Christhor

What is faster about that method? Doing the all the sidequests first is fine if you want, but it's not faster than breezing through them within infinite intoner mode.

Rewards from beating the side quests?

I'm glad I did the DLC before grinding, since that got me a good 4 million before I was done with it.

I'm afraid to look at spoilers ahead of time, but I'm one weapon away from unlocking branch D.

The only outfit I have is the Kaine DLC. Am I good for attempting the final boss, or does the does the semi tried and true youtube method (I think that's what you've all been recommending) involve upgrading all the weapons?

Good god, I beat some of those sidequests by sheer luck.

I'm afraid to look at spoilers ahead of time, but I'm one weapon away from unlocking branch D.

The only outfit I have is the Kaine DLC. Am I good for attempting the final boss, or does the does the semi tried and true youtube method (I think that's what you've all been recommending) involve upgrading all the weapons?

Good god, I beat some of those sidequests by sheer luck.

Upgrading weapons won't help for the final boss,
it doesn't involve combat.

Finally beat the game,
Absolutely hated the ending, I'm terrible at rhythm games... :(

It was disappointing to find the frame rate and screen tearing rampant in this game, really put me off in the beginning. Other than those I loved the characters, music, game play (yeah, it was odd but i actually didn't find it repetitive) and loved how it was mission based like previous drakengards (didn't really like the overworld in nier).

Started the DLC and the dialogues pretty cool with a sort of back story to each sister, I think i actually might wanna platinum this game (ive never bothered with achievements).

Overall, a decent game, really enjoyed it.

The various BGM packs are music that actually plays in-game or is it just soundtrack to play on ps3? Them Nier remixes do sound juicy...

How much of a time commitment is it to acquire all of the weapons for Branch D? I'm done with Branch C and the Lost Verses as a point of reference.
The $30 DLC, if you're Richie Rich and are unphased by the price, will net you with far more than enough to buy all the weapons in a little under six hours.

If you've only missed a handful in the chests during the main missions, it'll take barely any time to blaze through them again at your current level while glancing at a guide.

The ones from the Accord side missions technically don't take very long, but that depends if you don't disintegrate the controller in your hands after having to restart a mission with a long load time for the thirtieth time.

Baust

The various BGM packs are music that actually plays in-game or is it just soundtrack to play on ps3? Them Nier remixes do sound juicy...

They're music you can play in-game. You can select them before going into a stage, or change them while playing a stage at any time by pushing select.

And just like the game's other songs, activating intoner mode will turn on the vocals. It's a nice touch.

cj_iwakura

They're music you can play in-game. You can select them before going into a stage, or change them while playing a stage at any time by pushing select.

And just like the game's other songs, activating intoner mode will turn on the vocals. It's a nice touch.

Which remixes are they?

Xenoflare

Which remixes are they?

Emil, Song of the Ancients, and Ashes of Dreams for Nier.

Kuroi Uta, This Silence is Mine and A Better End for the "Intoner remix"

Ashes of Dreams is my favorite, it works so well as a battle theme, Emil is great too, but the Song of the Ancients lacks the punch the original "fate" version that has. I think the version that it used is Ashes of Dreams-Nouveau. Though you won't hear Emi Evan's voice unless you enter Intoner Mode.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Collecting all the weapons... such a pain in the ass. Any tip to speed up gold-farming in this game?

Sera O

Banned
Collecting all the weapons... such a pain in the ass. Any tip to speed up gold-farming in this game?

As far as I know there isn't a super efficient way to collect gold. The DLC verses seem to yield a lot of gold in chests, and after you've beaten all the verses in one of the sisters' DLC stories, gold soldiers will appear in the stages (you can get close to 20k each if I'm remembering right).

If you don't have DLC, there are those paydays in the Accord quests. If you are able to destroy the boss efficiently to get through gold soldiers before time's up you can get a good amount. However, I find it annoying completing other Accord quests to unlock them again, so I usually just go to the DLC.

Xenoflare

Either buy the sister's dlc, or do it like me the old fashion way where you grind the Desert Payday mission. Use Final Knell, (strongest spear with the square to triangle mash). Just do the very first side quest for the Land of Sands to unlock it. You should get around 180K-340K depending if you are fast enough to kill all the gold soldiers.

Collecting weapons isn't really a chore compared to the other games, I finished it for under 2 hours. Although I gathered all of the quest weapons though. There are a few.

Damn, I think I'll never beat this game. Final boss battle of branch D is so long and unfair. And I've beat the first Drakengard with all endings.

Xenoflare

Damn, I think I'll never beat this game. Final boss battle of branch D is so long and unfair. And I've beat the first Drakengard with all endings.

I managed to beat it on my fifth try.

Keep in mind I've suffered though the entire stream (around 10+ hours of retries) on twitch with leta.jp when the game first came out in Japan.

I managed to beat it with a stroke of luck, now I cannot beat it anymore, the last wave of 8 notes before the slow down always gets me.

I managed to beat it on my fifth try.

Keep in mind I've suffered though the entire stream (around 10+ hours of retries) on twitch with leta.jp when the game first came out in Japan.

I managed to beat it with a stroke of luck, now I cannot beat it anymore, the last wave of 8 notes before the slow down always gets me.

You beat it and then played it again? What kind of masochist are you?

Xenoflare

The most annoying thing is the camera, it gets really unfair with Three and Two.

Each notes have the exact same travel time before the very last few notes, use your ears and not your eyes. One's camera will purposefully jerk around.

And it will only get worse.

Xenoflare

I haven't even seen One. I only got to Two a few times :(

Watch the video on YouTube a few times to see if it helps, I managed to get through the five sisters solo on the first try since the entire song is just in my head by that point.

It's not cheating when the game is so painfully unfair.

Watch the video on YouTube a few times to see if it helps, I managed to get through the five sisters solo on the first try since the entire song is just in my head by that point.

It's not cheating when the game is so painfully unfair.

I've already took a look at some videos, but I don't know if that will be enough :/

Also the start is so slow, and then just one error and you have to start all over. It's pretty annoying.

Sera O

Banned
I've already took a look at some videos, but I don't know if that will be enough :/

Also the start is so slow, and then just one error and you have to start all over. It's pretty annoying.

If you want to save yourself some stress and have any kind of musical aptitude, I'd suggest some passive learning. Like get away from the game for a while, listen to audio of the song with the chimes included while doing other stuff, and then you will just learn how it goes and be used to the tempo changes. Since the entire battle (save for the last couple of notes) is all simon says, you will be much better equipped to deal with it when you're able to predict what's coming.

The biggest barrier to defeating this boss, aside from the troll notes at the end, is that one miss = fail. The parts you hear a lot and memorize are unfortunately the easy early parts, so it's really easy to choke once you've gotten to the very last segment.

Also, the visuals are just there to confuse you. If you can keep the beat even by tapping the finger of your other hand while the intoner does her bit, it will be easier to repeat what she does.

Dio

Banned
My personal tip for alternating notes/pressing buttons is 1. not to mash and rush, just keep steady and 2. have fingers on both L1 and R1 so that when you read that part with six button presses and a small pause, you just press R1 six times and then L1 once.

Cool, definitely buying them then.

Regarding the other DLCs, are they similar to Recycled Vessel for Nier or they have some story in them? Can the prologues be played immediately or after you've completed the game?
I'm also contemplating about whether getting or not Jap v.a.

Christhor

Cool, definitely buying them then.

Regarding the other DLCs, are they similar to Recycled Vessel for Nier or they have some story in them? Can the prologues be played immediately or after you've completed the game?
I'm also contemplating about whether getting or not Jap v.a.

They're not like the Recycled Vessel DLC for Nier. The prologues actually have stories, which focus on each one of the sisters. Some of them are pretty good at developing the characters, while others are... not. You can play all of them after getting the first ending, but it's probably best to save Zero's chapter until you're at the final boss, for story reasons.

They're not like the Recycled Vessel DLC for Nier. The prologues actually have stories, which focus on each one of the sisters. Some of them are pretty good at developing the characters, while others are... not. You can play all of them after getting the first ending, but it's probably best to save Zero's chapter until you're at the final boss, for story reasons.

Thanks for the reply.

Played the first level and the controls and camera are worse than Nier. The experience is intact though: when you activate intoner for the first time and slash through the screaming enemies... man, that was unsettling. I'm going to finish the game with english VA and then switch to japanese so I won't lose small details like that.

Can someone please tell me what is the name of the soundtrack/song/music that plays during the title screen? It is not available on the official soundtrack.

Is there even an official source for it?

DC1

The rhythm will be mine!
I plan to close out the final branch D battle today.

Gloria Estefan need not sing
I have a video to help me

Edit:
Beat it on the 3rd try with the flower tracking video (see game faqs).

Once I gut the perfect sync between my game and the video I was good to go.
Only my dog or kids could have stopped me from success. ....and they, for once was merciful.

Baust

Can someone please tell me what is the name of the soundtrack/song/music that plays during the title screen? It is not available on the official soundtrack.

Is there even an official source for it?

It's actually just the vocal track to "Leaf of Chaos."

Someone on YouTube uploaded the title screen's version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXanTTAhDq4

Here's the version of the song with the Intoner mode vocals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8hGGPj89Hw

If you want to save yourself some stress and have any kind of musical aptitude, I'd suggest some passive learning. Like get away from the game for a while, listen to audio of the song with the chimes included while doing other stuff, and then you will just learn how it goes and be used to the tempo changes. Since the entire battle (save for the last couple of notes) is all simon says, you will be much better equipped to deal with it when you're able to predict what's coming.

The biggest barrier to defeating this boss, aside from the troll notes at the end, is that one miss = fail. The parts you hear a lot and memorize are unfortunately the easy early parts, so it's really easy to choke once you've gotten to the very last segment.

Also, the visuals are just there to confuse you. If you can keep the beat even by tapping the finger of your other hand while the intoner does her bit, it will be easier to repeat what she does.

The thing is that I don't really follow the music for the button presses but just the wave attacks they throw at me, so when the camera starts focusing on other stuff I usually lose the right timing. And then I have to start all over.

Yoko Taro really loves making annoying stuff for the last ending of his games.

It's actually just the vocal track to "Leaf of Chaos."

Someone on YouTube uploaded the title screen's version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXanTTAhDq4

Here's the version of the song with the Intoner mode vocals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8hGGPj89Hw

I am disappointed this is not on the original soundtrack. Why does the uploader say the soundtrack is from the original soundtrack and has the name "The Leaves of Confusion"? Where is the uploader getting the information from?

Xenoflare

I am disappointed this is not on the original soundtrack. Why does the uploader say the soundtrack is from the original soundtrack and has the name "The Leaves of Confusion"? Where is the uploader getting the information from?

The battlefield version of it is in the OST, it's just that this particular version is not.

Same thing with Kuroi Uta, the one used in game as a field music is not included.

Currently in chapter 3 and I've noticed a few comical reliefs that are out of place with the overall tone of the story. Secondary missions are also a chore with the same level repeating for three times with the same tasks.

The game seems to have lost all its unique elements with the transition to another developer (bullet hell and platformer gameplay and open world) which is kinda understandable if you choose to believe that they wanted to keep gameplay tied to the Drakengard series. Disappointing nonetheless to me, Nier gameplay was awesome.

Yasumi

Banned
The game seems to have lost all its unique elements with the transition to another developer (bullet hell and platformer gameplay and open world). I also don't get why Zero gets experience since there's no status screen?
Nier != Drakengard. Drakengard has never had those elements, and Yoko Taro said he doesn't make the same game twice. It's meant to be totally different in both tone and gameplay. Gaining levels gives you more HP.

Nier != Drakengard. Drakengard has never had those elements, and Yoko Taro said he doesn't make the same game twice. It's meant to be totally different in both tone and gameplay. Gaining levels gives you more HP.

Now you I'm curious, do you have any interviews? I played the first Drakengard and I remember it having the same mood as Nier, I don't remember any comic reliefs like Mikhail urinating in a pond or a tv break to hide gory details and I find them unnecessary. I haven't played Drakengard 2.

And I do undestand that Nier is a different game (I edited my post while you were quoting) but so far Drakengard 3 hasn't shown any addition to gameplay mechanics since the first one except chests, maybe.

Clov

Now you I'm curious, do you have any interviews? I played the first Drakengard and I remember it having the same mood as Nier,.

I have to disagree there. The first Drakengard has this weird sort of corrupt and broken atmosphere to it, something reflected both in the supporting cast (awful, screwed up people) and the music itself. Nier on the other hand has a much more melancholy atmosphere, which can be seen by the much more tragic cast and the vocal themes in the music.

Also, Nier did have comic relief; remember all the exchanges between Weiss and Kaine?

Plopboy

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure if the they way they have marketed it with all of the Nier stuff has sown a lot of confusion in people's minds?

I have to disagree there. The first Drakengard has this weird sort of corrupt and broken atmosphere to it, something reflected both in the supporting cast (awful, screwed up people) and the music itself. Nier on the other hand has a much more melancholy atmosphere, which can be seen by the much more tragic cast and the vocal themes in the music.

Also, Nier did have comic relief; remember all the exchanges between Weiss and Kaine?

Weiss you dumbass!

While yes, Nier had these sort of comic reliefs I still think they fit better the personality of the characters. Nier banters always had this sense of dread and drama (perhaps better VA?) while Drakengard 3 just feel like any other postmodern literature drowned in jokes and quick smirks (commercial cut-off, slapstick comic timing to deliver the punchline).

I'm not sure if the they way they have marketed it with all of the Nier stuff has sown a lot of confusion in people's minds?

I pledge guilty.

Holykael1

Banned
Started playing yesterday. Got up to chapter 3. This game is so good, I love it.
The characters are amazingly entertaining and with the backstory novellas behind, they are fantastic. The main characters are awesome and the humor is excellent. Love the insanity of it all.
The gameplay is surprisingly fun, even with all the technical jankyness it's not as unplayable as some people made it out to be. It's actually perfectly functional and I'm having so much fun with it that I'm willing to forgive it's shortcomings. Will post more impressions once I finish the game but I'm glad I bought this at full price.

Started playing yesterday. Got up to chapter 3. This game is so good, I love it.
The characters are amazingly entertaining and with the backstory novellas behind, they are fantastic. The main characters are awesome and the humor is excellent. Love the insanity of it all.
The gameplay is surprisingly fun, even with all the technical jankyness it's not as unplayable as some people made it out to be. It's actually perfectly functional and I'm having so much fun with it that I'm willing to forgive it's shortcomings. Will post more impressions once I finish the game but I'm glad I bought this at full price.

Completely agree with you, I do hate it when dragons are on the screen blowing fire though.

When you beat the game you should read the novel because it does have quite a bit of spoilers.

Top Bottom