• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driver: San Francisco |OT| A whole generation, with a new explanation

ibvyViVN73h4yJ.png

arrow_slider_selectedifkf.png
The History of Driver

iKVRN131NMAO1.png

Driver began in 1999, developed by Reflections Interactive (now Ubisoft Reflections), after their previous work on Destruction Derby. Throughout the years, gameplay in the titles has varyed, but for the most part contains an mix of action, driving, and third-person shooting in open world environments. With the release if Driver: San Francisco, there are now five main installments in the franchise. The series has also found a home on mobile and handhled platforms, but I ain't writing about them.. screw you!

- Driver is the first game in the Driver series. Tanner, an NYPD detective gone undercover due to his unmatched driving skills, gained from his time as a racing driver, must gain the confidence of the syndicate's bosses by performing increasingly difficult missions such as stopping or following another car, driving through windows, delivering a stolen car or scaring a taxi customer.

- Driver 2 expands on the originals, free-roam structure, as well as adding the ability of the character, Tanner, to step out of his car to explore on foot and commandeer other vehicles in the game's open world environments. The story missions are played separately from the take-a-ride mode where the player can explore the cities on his own time

- Unknown Game: This is a mystery

- Driver Parallel Lines takes place in just one city, New York, instead of multiple cities, but in the middle of the story the eras of the city - 1978 and 2006 - are changed. Due to the underwhelming performance of Driv3r, particularly the often-derided on-foot sections, Parallel Lines returns to the formula used in earlier games in the series, focusing on driving, although shooting remains in the game. The game was received better by critics than the last game, though did receive some criticism.[4] This is the first game of the Driver series that does not follow undercover cop Tanner.

Ubisoft recently revealed that the series has sold more than 15 million units worldwide.​

border_bottom_3004ffs.png

About Driver: San Francisco

Plot: Driver: San Francisco takes place a few months after the events of Driv3r. Both Tanner and Jericho survived the shootout from that game's stunning conclusion. Jericho has escaped to San Francisco, while Tanner has pursued him there. Crazy stuff happens (like explosions, OMG), ending with Tanner and Jericho in an alleyway. Tanner gets pushed in front of a tractor trailer, putting him into a coma. Thank you Tanner, we can now play the game, as it will take place in Tanner's coma dream.

Gameplay: In Driver: San Francisco, players can shift to any car at any time using Shift - a new feature which allows Tanner to shift from a car into another car and continue the mission. The Shift option is not unlimited however, so the player has to recharge the Shift meter by doing things such as power slides, big jumps and driving into oncoming traffic. Shift must also be upgraded from time to time, so the player can shift into more distant cars and other parts of the city. Ubisoft Reflections calls the game a "return to the roots" to the series as the ability to get out of the car, which was introduced in Driver 2, has been removed as the developers felt that too many games have this kind of feature already and "it wasn't desirable [for us] to just copy that exact mechanic.".

The film director mode, which was absent from Parallel Lines, will also return, and players can share their videos online. The game will run at 60 frames per second.

Setting: The game's San Francisco will be one of the largest driving environments, with about 208 miles (335 km) of road. Various landmarks are going to be recreated in the game including the Bay Bridge and parts of Marin County and Oakland.

Multiplayer: Split screen and online multiplayer will also be available for the first time in the series with nine different game modes. So far, only the Trail Blazer and Tag game modes have been announced. In Trail Blazer, the players have to follow the trail of an AI-controlled car to accumulate points. The player who accumulates more points will win the match. The Tag game mode is similar to regular tag, but in reverse. All the players are trying to "tag," or hit, one player. Once he is hit, the person who tagged him is now it. The multiplayer will also have experience points.

Cars: For the first time in the series, the game will include over 120 fully damageable licensed vehicles ranging from buggies, muscle cars and sport cars including Alfa Romeo, Aston Martin, Bentley, Ruf Automobile, Dodge, Ford, Shelby, Volkswagen, Pagani, Lincoln, DeLorean, Lamborghini, and Cadillac.​

Collector Pack

iY2QT5zZl2pCZ.jpg

Ubisoft have confirmed they will release a 'Collector Pack' edition of the game, and even released a video about it. It contains:

- A copy of the game.
- A replica model of the 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T.
- A map of San Francisco showing all the games collectables.
- An original Driver comic book.
- Three additional multi-player cars, the 1963 Austin Martin DB5, the 1972 Lamborghini Muira, and the 1966 Shelby Cobra 427.
- Four single player challenges, Mass Race, Relay Race, Russian Hills Racers, and Taxi.​

Reviews

Computer and Video Games - 8.5
Telegraph - 8
TVG - 8
IGN - 8
Videogamer - 8
Edge - 8
Eurogamer - 8
Gamespot - 8
OXM UK - 8
Metro GameCentral - 6
Strategy Informer - 6

...more to come, maybe

Media, Videos, Links, + other cool stuff

Team VVV "hands on" video
Part I | Part II | Part III

360 Achievement List
50 for 1000points

Trophy List List
1 Platinum, 2 Gold, 10 Silver, 38 Bronze

Gamespot Video Review
Mark Walton goes from body to body in his review of Driver: San Francisco

Launch Trailer
I have nothing clever to right here

Official Video Website
View uploaded user videos

...more to come, maybe

Wii Version

Thanks to legbone and iNvidious01 for help with info, links and images.

The_Monk

Nice one OP.

From what I've seen it's a bit of mixed feelings..

It's not that I don't like but things such, switch to another car when on a chase or play Tag inside a Dodge Challenger... it's my cup of tea I guess.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Parallel Lines was also on Wii (and so is this but it's a different game in this case, while that was a port) going by the other thread.

I think most of the Driver games were also on PC.

Radogol

The_Monk said:
It's not that I don't like but things such, switch to another car when on a chase or play Tag inside a Dodge Challenger... it's my cup of tea I guess.
I don't understand... Are you optimistic or not?

What the hell I'll give it a shot. It is a bummer you can't use a wheel though, I understand why not (the shifting coma power thing) but it's still a bummer.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I still can't believe Edge gave it an 8. I'll wait for the GAF impressions because this is one series with unrivaled infamy when it comes to magazine reviews.

legbone

mujun, you lucky bastard. i demand impressions. congrats man. the wait is killing me. my local gamestop is having a midnight launch this coming monday for resistance 3, dead island, and space marine. i asked if driver would be available. they weren't sure. if driver isn't there with my dead island and space marine preorders their magazine racks are getting it good.

edit: i really wish that collector's edition was available here in the states. i'm not big on the statue but i would like to have that map.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Ushojax said:
I still can't believe Edge gave it an 8. I'll wait for the GAF impressions because this is one series with unrivaled infamy when it comes to magazine reviews.
Why? The shift feature is brilliant and the driving model has depth. The issue here is that people that don't like something tend to be way more vocal than those that do.

legbone

Square Triangle said:
I want a new Stuntman, wasn't it done by the same team?

yep, the original stuntman on ps2 was by the same team. stuntman ignition was done by some other team if i remember right. i loved both though. i really hope reflections does a new stuntman next but i'm not sure if ubi has the license. i think thq may still have it.

Untracked

Had an hour playing with the Film Director mode (and lost all footage because it crashed my Xbox). Camera angles are quite limited. It has similar restrictions to PGR's Photo Mode, you cant go above a certain height or off the main road.
What I've played of the Story so far was fun, handling feels more responsive than the demo.
I like Shift, it's a cool mechanic but I'm not keen on all the dialogue. It never shuts up.

mujun

legbone said:
mujun, you lucky bastard. i demand impressions. congrats man. the wait is killing me. my local gamestop is having a midnight launch this coming monday for resistance 3, dead island, and space marine. i asked if driver would be available. they weren't sure. if driver isn't there with my dead island and space marine preorders their magazine racks are getting it good.

edit: i really wish that collector's edition was available here in the states. i'm not big on the statue but i would like to have that map.

It's a nice change, I'm in Asia where you normally get games after the States :)

legbone

hopefully the crash was a fluke. anyway, that's unfortunate in regards to the camera angles. i've got some ideas for some car chases with unusual angles in mind. can you do a below the car between the wheels/close to the pavement shot?

I loved stuntman and the first two drivers, liked the demo... But I'm not confident enough, I guess I'll wait until it's under 25 :p

legbone

i wouldn't be surprised if it hits 40 within two months of launch. as much as i am hyped for this game (my most hyped game this year actually) i realize it is going to be an uphill battle in the current market. only one of my nongaf friends wants to pick it up and he was a huge fan of the first game. the rest were burnt by driv3r. anyway, i just hope enough people pick this up so the multiplayer is well populated. oh well, at least i know there will be a few gaffers online with it. unfortunately most will probably go pc. i'm going 360 myself.

played this for a bit earlier, it's utterly bonkers but quite a bit of fun. 'helping the city' is a neat, if bizarre, way to explain the usual myriad of mission types.

Haunted

Enjoyed the demo, Shift is a great idea and opens up varied and interesting gameplay possibilities.

I'm sold
but will wait for the bomba.

Untracked

legbone said:
hopefully the crash was a fluke. anyway, that's unfortunate in regards to the camera angles. i've got some ideas for some car chases with unusual angles in mind. can you do a below the car between the wheels/close to the pavement shot?
So you have Chase, Bumper, In-Car, and Hood Cameras. These are all locked in position on your car, with a Reverse option to look behind you. Then you have the Manual Camera which you can Zoom and place anywhere around the car. You can set it to follow your car or be static. As far as I can tell that's all the angle options you get.
You can set length and speed (1x, 0.5x or 0.25x) of each shot.

You can't get the camera underneath the cars, the lowest it will go is to the top of the bumpers :(

Its functional but honestly I expected a few more options here.

SkylineRKR

It was said that you could play the story without using shift at all, but from what I've seen and read I call bs on that one.

Anyway, I'm willing to dip but not right now. I guess the price will drop soon enough, Ubisoft and all.

legbone

Untracked said:
So you have Chase, Bumper, In-Car, and Hood Cameras. These are all locked in position on your car, with a Reverse option to look behind you. Then you have the Manual Camera which you can Zoom and place anywhere around the car. You can set it to follow your car or be static. As far as I can tell that's all the angle options you get.
You can set length and speed (1x, 0.5x or 0.25x) of each shot.

You can't get the camera underneath the cars, the lowest it will go is to the top of the bumpers :(

Its functional but honestly I expected a few more options here.

thanks for the answer. that's too bad. oh well, just have to figure something else out for one of my shots.

also, that 45 price is great. if there wasn't the chance of picking this up at midnight here in town i would be all over it. their standard shipping is pretty slow if i remember right.

SkylineRKR said:
It was said that you could play the story without using shift at all, but from what I've seen and read I call bs on that one.

Anyway, I'm willing to dip but not right now. I guess the price will drop soon enough, Ubisoft and all.

you absolutely have to use shift to progress in the story.

Bollocks

Gonna buy this today, fuck Deus Ex.
Deus Ex wasn't there when I completed the first 2 Driver Games.
Can't afford another LA Noire.

Rich!

Looks great. Would love to have it.

But alas, the shitty, shitty Ubisoft DRM will prevent me from buying the PC version (I have no PS3 or 360). My internet connection isn't great, and isn't very good in the area I live. It drops out constantly.

What a pity. Put my money towards Dead Island instead.

Lazlo

They announced that that DRM was removed from driver at the same time as they took it off From Dust...

Untracked

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I was really really impressed by the X360 demo.

60 FPS is so good.
The framerate is nice. I'm having a lot fun with this game.
Film Director mode is quite decent.

I think the xbox crashes I had yesterday were just unlucky.
Had no problems since.

Untracked said:
The framerate is nice. I'm having a lot fun with this game.
Film Director mode is quite decent.

I think the xbox crashes I had yesterday were just unlucky.
Had no problems since.
How do you share videos? Can you download replay files from others? Convert and upload to Youtube?

I sorta liked Driv3r :( lmfao , nice OP, still kinda undecided in this but thank based god for red box that i can rent it :D

I need to replay Driver 1+2 , loved those games

Untracked

VibratingDonkey said:
How do you share videos? Can you download replay files from others? Convert and upload to Youtube?
The game says to log in at http://driver-club.ubi.com/ to view uploaded videos. As far as I can tell there's no in-game clip browser this time, which was DRIV3R's best feature IMO.
There doesn't seem to be any Youtube features.

My 1:27 clip was too long to upload :(

legbone

Untracked said:
The game says to log in at http://driver-club.ubi.com/ to view uploaded videos. As far as I can tell there's no in-game clip browser this time, which was DRIV3R's best feature IMO.

damn, 1:27 too long. that sucks. my plans for the editor are now ruined. oh well, to me it was just a small part of the game. but i really hate to hear this. wonder what the limit is?

Untracked

legbone said:
damn, 1:27 too long. that sucks. my plans for the editor are now ruined. oh well, to me it was just a small part of the game. but i really hate to hear this. wonder what the limit is?
I've seen some clips on the site are 1:20. I'm just speculating here but maybe it's a cap on the data file sent to the server. Would carnage and lots of camera changes make the length limit worse?

Bollocks

PS3 version here.
This game is actually really good, lots of stuff to do, classic Driver game.
If you love drifting around this one's for you.
The 60fps really are a joy to drift in.
I can drift nicely but the other cars are getting in my way all the time ._.

only downside is the uplay shit, such a hassle to redeem the code, if you thought like it would be "enter code", no. unnecessarily complex

Dommel

Just reached Chapter 3 on the PS3 and this game is a lot of fun!

The handling of the cars feel great, they have a real weight to them. Your smoking tires during drifting look amazing, I usually drive bumper cam but I'm finding myself switching a lot just to see burning rubber on every corner.

Missions and Activities are fun as well, not too much repetition so far (about three hours in). They do artificially lock you out of story mode though. After every story mission you have to complete 2 city missions before you can jump back into Tanner's car to continue the story.

The shifting is a nice mechanic, explanation for it is ridiculous but if you can look past that you won't regret this as an arcade racer with a nice twist.

All in all a solid game and it would be a pity if it"s not getting all the sales it deserves.

mujun

I finally got around to playing it, 360 version.

Only played the multi. It's a heap of fun. Played some Trailblazer (firetruck for the win) and Tag. Both of those were fun, the racing combined with the shifting.

Not a fan of the straight racing though, the cars spin out too easily and you can get stuck on AI cars for a long time losing you the race. The tracks seem pretty boring, too. I only tried 2 though.

The lobby is cool, you can freeroam in it if you want to and when you finally join an MP game there is a mini game qualifying round before you start to determine the grid. One game is a race to see who can smash the most posts, another is how many cars you can overtake on the road, original and fun stuff.

It also glitched out on me in my second race, it said that I had finished but the game stalled before giving me my XP from the race. I had to quit out losing it all in the process.

I think I'll spend most of my MP time playing Trailblazer and Tag, they both seem really fun and different to what most racing games provide.

Graphics are kind of simple at the street level but the city looks gorgeous zoomed out and it all runs very smoothly considering the size of the world and how quickly you can shift between cars.

I really hope that the handling gets easier with time, it's my only fear at the moment, the one thing that might ruin MP for me.

mujun said:
I think I'll spend most of my MP time playing Trailblazer and Tag, they both seem really fun and different to what most racing games provide.

I really hope that the handling gets easier with time, it's my only fear at the moment, the one thing that might ruin MP for me.

Probably 90% of my reasoning for buying this is online Tag + Trailblazer. I haven't had that much fun in a driving game demo since Burnout Paradise.

As for the handling, I found myself getting very comfortable with the 30 or so vehicles in the demo so all you need is some more time for it to really click. Online, you can tell immediately who is comfortable with the controls by how good their drifts are around corners.

Untracked said:

Aww. :(
Good that there's a dedicated site for finding videos and all that jazz though.

Top Bottom