• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense Edge controller announced

They bang on about the ability to change stick sens and deadzone... Well the games I play already allow me to do that, Am I missing something?

Also no stick tension adjustment

Skifi28

Gold Member
In fact what makes the sticks drift are not the sticks themselves but the component under it, the one attached to the controller board, so removing the sticks like shown on the video won't fix the problem.
What makes the sticks drift are the potentiometers inside. If the entire stick is removable as shown, then it will fix the issue. (Assuming a half-assed method like replacing the stick is considered a fix rather than just using a different technology for a more durable stick.)

Last edited:

[Sigma]

How you forget the d-pad in a pro/elite controller? I expected a mechanical d-pad at least. Sigh. Will still likely cop anyway for interchangeable thumb sticks if the price is right.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Controllers like this and elite shouldn't be expensive luxury.

They should be the standard controller for their platforms.
It's just a run for money.
Xbox Elite is overengineered controller.
Too many parts that break.... it's expensive and they also backed out of AA batteries for rechargable built-in batter.
Anti consumer, expensive, needless....

jm89

It's just a run for money.
Xbox Elite is overengineered controller.
Too many parts that break.... it's expensive and they also backed out of AA batteries for rechargable built-in batter.
Anti consumer, expensive, needless....
I use to laugh at the aa batteries on the Xbox controller, after experiencing the shitshow that is dualsense not anymore.

Companies are always improving aa batteries capacity aswell, so you can get improved battery life without relying on microsoft to do something.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Maybe. If the build quality is good and it comes in Galactic Purple I might bite. I reckon £149.99.

hYILqr0.gif

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I use to laugh at the aa batteries on the Xbox controller, after experiencing the shitshow that is dualsense not anymore.

Companies are always improving aa batteries capacity aswell, so you can get improved battery life without relying on microsoft to do something.
Exactly. AA are easy to replace and give customer options to use ANYTHING.
Xbox controllers last me 30hours and then "BAM AND SWAP BATTERIES, GO".
Dualsense lasts 6-8 hours and then charges for 2-3... and looses capacity over time... and sony is not selling replacement batteries

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Can the paddles be used as additional buttons?

GT7 for examples has more inputs than available buttons.

SenkiDala

What makes the sticks drift are the potentiometers inside. If the entire stick is removable as shown, then it will fix the issue. (Assuming a half-assed method like replacing the stick is considered a fix rather than just using a different technology for a more durable stick.)
Yes but I'm not sure, when they show on the video is that yes you remove the "whole" stick but to finally just put of the stick itself so I dunno if you change the potentiometer at the same time, I doubt it personally.

GHG

Gold Member
You complained about games not being made. I just linked you a list of almost 200 of them coming out next year with quite a few of them being AAA releases. You tell me 🤷‍♂️

We've had lists like this every year for the last 3-4 years and time and time again the vast majority of releases are a disappointing buggy mess while only a handful of games actually deliver.

Historically Sony have tended to deliver but it seems like they would rather focus on chasing the nonsense Xbox/Microsoft are doing instead of simply staying in their lane and delivering.

I don't give a fuck about more controllers, the one packaged with the console is more than good enough, give us more games.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Hopefully the trigger stops actually work. Every one I’ve ever used still leaves you with like 3x the travel of a standard button.

We've had lists like this every year for the last 3-4 years and time and time again the vast majority of releases are a disappointing buggy mess while only a handful of games actually deliver.
Why do you think nearly every 2022 release was delayed to 2023 then?

Historically Sony have tended to deliver but it seems like they would rather focus on chasing the nonsense Xbox/Microsoft are doing instead of simply staying in their lane and delivering.
Why would the controller design and manufacturing departments for either company give a damn about developing video games? You think they pull the best devs out of Sony Santa Monica to suddenly work on the internal workings of controller hardware that they know nothing about?
I don't give a fuck about more controllers, the one packaged with the console is more than good enough, give us more games.
Then why enter this thread? 🤷‍♂️ Was it to increase post count or farm for likes?

You're quite the enigma man lol.

Zathalus

The people that make controllers are not the same people that make games. Besides I'm not sure what games you are playing, but 2022 has had plenty to enjoy so far.

GHG

Gold Member
Why do you think nearly every 2022 release was delayed to 2023 then?

Why would the controller design and manufacturing departments for either company give a damn about developing video games? You think they pull the best devs out of Sony Santa Monica to suddenly work on the internal workings of controller hardware that they know nothing about?

Then why enter this thread? 🤷‍♂️ Was it to increase post count or farm for likes?

You're quite the enigma man lol.

Sorry, didn't know I needed to ask your permission to enter a thread and state my opinion.

Like anything else there is an opportunity cost - time, resources and money are put towards something like a new controller. All of that, especially the money, could be put towards the development of new games.

But hope you enjoy the controller if it's something you're actually interested in.

sainraja

What type of games do you feel are missing?
I mean, there is so much now that you really shouldn't feel this way.

Pejo

Gold Member
Well I guess it's cheaper to just replace the stick modules when the drift starts. I love the Dualsense other than the drift (which has happened to all 3 of mine), so here's hoping.

skit_data

Looks fire.
I’m happy I haven’t bought a second Dualsense yet, now I can buy this and use as my main controller.

All I wanna know is how much it will cost…

Top Bottom