• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER |OT| Spank One For The Good Guys

What the fuck at this four page instruction manual where on page one it tells me to "download the complete manual!". Is this standard 2k practice now or were they feeling extra cheap?

vocab

quinntendopower said:
i know it was john st john, i'm referring to his horribly weird delivery now. it's different

Delivery may be different, but so is the sound engine. Duke3d was running on an engine were voices were not perfectly clear.

I'm buying this game when it goes on sale. Bad reviews or not, I gotta play it, and judge it my self. Some of the scores I'm seeing are a bit laughable.

HadesGigas said:
What the fuck at this four page instruction manual where on page one it tells me to "download the complete manual!". Is this standard 2k practice now or were they feeling extra cheap?

Everyone is doing this now. The Mortal Kombat and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood "manuals" were like that.

Yaska

Just finished the SP campaign. Really felt that something was cut off. Well worth the purchase, my Carpe Nukem shall guard my bookshelf.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
AnEternalEnigma said:
Everyone is doing this now. The Mortal Kombat and Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood "manuals" were like that.

I think the 'manual' for Alice: Madness Returns is basically just a piece of paper, printed in black and white, telling you that the manual can be found on the disk. I miss the elaborate manuals from the days of old :|

Yaska said:
Just finished the SP campaign. Really felt that something was cut off. Well worth the purchase, my Carpe Nukem shall guard my bookshelf.

Don't worry, Randy Pitchford confirmed at the Gearbox Community event that Gus the miner will be back!

duke001.jpg

I don't know if he meant in a DLC episode or a sequel though ...

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Raide said:
That will be in the GOTY edition. Comes on 20 DVD's.
I kind of doubt they'd be calling it the GOTY edition...

edit: Game of the decade, perhaps.

edit 2: Actually that'd be pretty funny.

Nocebo

Played a couple of levels yesterday but not digging it at all. I don't like the feel of the weapons, the movement, the driving, the level design etc. Everything feels off somehow. I kinda like the new liztroopers that can teleport though... other than that a big fat "meh" so far.

stuminus3

blizeH said:
I was almost very tempted to get this just to see how badly it turned out, but then I read this - ouch!
General rule of thumb, if half the review is hyperbole about how stupid a person that may enjoy the game must be, then it's time to close the browser tab and walk away.

Rich!

Combichristoffersen said:
I think the 'manual' for Alice: Madness Returns is basically just a piece of paper, printed in black and white, telling you that the manual can be found on the disk. I miss the elaborate manuals from the days of old :|

Reminds me, I was looking at the Final Fantasy XIII manual the other day (PS3 version), and even though I'm not keen on the game and haven't liked a FF since the SNES ones, the manual is awesome. Really colourful and thick.

And on a similar topic, the manual for Zelda OOT 3DS is utter, utter shit. It's like one of those fold out posters you got with SNES and GB games that advertised other titles - the original N64 one was great.

Murkas

Been playing it and I just finished the Duke burger levels. (PC version)

It's all right, it's keeping my interest which I couldn't say for Black ops, Bulletstorm and Halo reach. It's no where near bad as reviewers are making it out to be.

2/10 and 3/10 are scores you give to games that are broken as fuck and nearly unplayable. DNF isn't that.

ElyrionX

Prime crotch said:
Hey, these obvious Olsen twins parody got raped and pregnant as consequence of the rape, oh and now they're dead, Hu-yuck!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Yh4Aq54ek

"Guess you're....fucked" *cue The Who's*

Fuck this game and everyone involved in it.

I just started browsing this thread because of the other thread and I saw this.

What an utterly tasteless game. I hope the franchise gets buried once and for all.

[Nintex]

Power Glove said:
Don't worry, Randy Pitchford confirmed at the Gearbox Community event that Gus the miner will be back!

I don't know if he meant in a DLC episode or a sequel though ...
Yes yes more Duke, they forgot like half the game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Shiggy said:
Why don't they release the beta versions to compare?
I doubt they'd ever be able to officially release something like that, as it would not be usable by the average person, but it would be neat if someone would leak some of that stuff to us. At least something along the lines of the Doom 3 leak (which was fascinating to look at and very different from the final game).

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
Grand Theft Auto lets you murder police officers -- Modern Warfare 2 disguises you as a terrorist and you kill innocent civilians in an airport. These are two of the most notorious franchises in gaming history.

But let's dismiss Duke Nukem because the developers added a touch of rape to the game.

stuminus3

1UP.com review said:
Sections playing as a shrunken-Duke seem like they were ripped out of the early Unreal Tournament mod-scene.
lol wut.

The guy even talks about having played DN3D on TEN back in the day.

Badabing said:
Grand Theft Auto lets you murder police officers -- Modern Warfare 2 disguises you as a terrorist and you kill innocent civilians in an airport. These are two of the most notorious franchises in gaming history.

But let's dismiss Duke Nukem because the developers added a touch of rape to the game.

The correct thing is to acknowledge that Modern Warfare 2 and GTA should have been criticized also, not letting Duke of the hook because of previous errors.

Hesemonni

Banned
And with that the game is outta my hdd and off to the nearest Gamestop. Made it until Dam Top chapter and the Battlelord fight. After a while of hitting my head to the brick wall I realized that I haven't had a single second of fun with the game. My time is more precious than this shit.

Hesemonni said:
And with that the game is outta my hdd and off to the nearest Gamestop. Made it until Dam Top chapter and the Battlelord fight. After a while of hitting my head to the brick wall I realized that I haven't had a single second of fun with the game. My time is more precious than this shit.

You won't be missing much. The rest of the game is some ugly corridors, an underwater level, and a rehashed final boss.

Hawk269

FGMPR said:
When I said DNF was the new AP, I just meant that like Alpha Protocol, GAF, mostly, seems to enjoy the game whilst it's being torn to shreds by the press (although AP wasn't as harshly received).

I actually like DNF and AP quite a bit.

AP is a graphical showcase compared to Duke. Sorry, but Duke is that bad and AP while a bit generic looking had way better visuals than this piece of shit.

That particular section of the Hyve level is rather disturbing, but not for reasons of taste. I couldn't care less about "taste" in this context. What I found disturbing was this sense of implied rape violence that really came out of nowhere at that point in the campaign and is not repeated anywhere else in the game.

It's somewhat unfortunate (as a level theme), because the level itself does have some gameplay additions that also are not repeated anywhere else in the game.

Space A Cobra said:
I have to randomly comment and say the MP map rendition of Hollywood Holocaust is one of the saddest things I've seen in awhile. =/
Yeah it's bizarre, I hopped into a private match just to look at it (I don't usually play MP but Jeff on Giant Bomb said it was really weird). I guess the conceit was that someone turned that street into a paintball arena? Why would they do that instead of just recreating that part of the original level faithfully?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Neuromancer said:
Yeah it's bizarre, I hopped into a private match just to look at it (I don't usually play MP but Jeff on Giant Bomb said it was really weird). I guess the conceit was that someone turned that street into a paintball arena? Why would they do that instead of just recreating that part of the original level faithfully?
Aside from the paint ball shit, it's actually a good rendition. The scale and look of the level is extremely similar.

I got to return my copy back to Redbox soon but from what I played it was pretty fun. The first thing I noticed was how little gun fighting there was throughout the beginning which was fine by me. Spoilers for the first bit of the game ahead...

Driving around with the RC car was fun. I laughed when I ran into enemies and they held their foot up in pain, I crashed into a wall and it cracked which I thought was a nice touch, no load times when you mess up in the RC was really great as I fell in pits a few times. Humor was fun, graphics were good and bad, and overall I've been having a fun time just going through the game. Sad thing is I get a little dizzy playing it but I think that's just me getting older.

It definitely isn't an F game, a 3.3 game or whatever other bashing reviews are giving it. It seems like a solid 6 or 7 to me. I wouldn't have much of a problem putting down $60 for it. Not every FPS game needs to replace other FPS games.

GrayFoxPL

plagiarize said:
just, no. it isn't remotely clear that the levels were made recently. you think the ruins of vegas bit after you get out of the first area was made recently?

Yeah it smells a recent rush job from mile away. Watching all the old trailers right after finishing the game made me sure that older versions had nothing in common with this.

so i tried starting a game on "damn i'm good" off a "bet" from a friend. if i get a platinum on this shit game (my only other platinums are yakuza 3 and 4 haha), he will get a platinum on darksiders, a game we both agree is a piece of shit and would be awful completing 100%

i got to the mothership boss. one hit kills from the drop ship lasers! i gave it a good 20 tries and realized it's completely ridiculous and i am tapping out. you can barely kill one ship before the next one shows up. then the fucking triple ships!

no more! to the guy who got the platinum, kudos to you! holy shit i had no idea it would be so awfully brutal.

if you want to get the pinball 1,000,000 do the following
get the ball on the top left pin, and tap the pin so it hits the key targets, if the ball bounces too far just tilt left and it will catch on the pin if you are holding it. just keep catching and lobbing the ball up hitting the 3 tiles and it will happen. it's still a janky piece of shit pinball machine though.

Salsa

Either you are really bad at it or youre doing something wrong. I finished it on Hard and died a couple of times at bosses.

jgminto

SalsaShark said:
Either you are really bad at it or youre doing something wrong. I finished it on Hard and died a couple of times at bosses.
It's actually suprisingly hard for what people were expecting.

Top Bottom