• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune II has been delayed to 2024 thanks to the strike

SJRB

Gold Member

March 15th, 2024.

dune-part-2.gif

May your blade chip and shatter.

HoodWinked

I dont understand why they would do this, Oppenheimer and Barbie outperformed without the celebrity junket tours. If anything it's becoming a liability with how Snow White is being tared and feathered.

An absolutely idiotic decision by WB, no wonder they lost Oppenheimer to Comcast.

winjer

Gold Member
Jason Momoa stole all the scenes, should have made the movie about him and not the two annoying kids.

I would argue the exact opposite. He stuck out as a sore thumb in a bad way.
He was just acting as himself, not as a character in a movie, and that really took me out of the movie.
It's clear they only hired him to sell some tickets. Not because of his acting skills.

Dumb. Has anyone ever gone to see a movie because of… the actor’s promotions / press tours? We’re really talking about lowest common denominator people here, pretty sure none of them were running out to Dune Part 2 no matter what.

SJRB

Gold Member
It seems WB is oblivious to the fact that there are two movies currently in theatres that had pretty much zero promotion from actors. One of them made over a billion dollars, the other made over 700 million.

Eiknarf

Jason Momoa stole all the scenes, should have made the movie about him and not the two annoying kids.
He also stole money out of all the locals' hands on the rest of MAUI when he yelled, "Do. Not. Travel. To. Maui!"

What he should have said, was, "Do not come to North-West Maui", because the rest of the island wasn't on fire and depends on the tourism dollar. But he's a pompous ass who thinks he knows better because he once lived there, so there's that.

Jsisto

I hate to break it to you but: Dune as a series is about Duncan Idaho, not Paul. Let me know if you want a spoiler from the end of the books.
I don’t know if I’d say it’s “about” him. He’s definitely a significant part of it, though.

Ballthyrm

This is good news, it means the CGI artists won't have to go through a death march to get it out in time.
The quality will be better for it.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
We will see a lot of this because there is NOTHING for them to show after spring 24 or so. Delay a blockbuster to the next fiscal year (and probably take some sort of faux tax writedown for Q4 as well), is an easy decision. And I agree with them, spread out the releases to cover the gap, let films breathe more when they are in theaters, all of this is good. The massive churn n burn of theatrical releases in recent years with massive studios competing with themselves for screen time needs to stop.

I can wait. Once this is out then I won't be watching any future movies should they make them. The rest of the books suck. I only really liked the first one.

StueyDuck

It seems WB is oblivious to the fact that there are two movies currently in theatres that had pretty much zero promotion from actors. One of them made over a billion dollars, the other made over 700 million.
WB is definitely the king of reading the room 🤣

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Dumb. Has anyone ever gone to see a movie because of… the actor’s promotions / press tours? We’re really talking about lowest common denominator people here, pretty sure none of them were running out to Dune Part 2 no matter what.

Ha!

If you think that the world's most well paid actors earn their money by acting you're missing that their brand and their skill at promoting a movie (and themselves) is really what justifies the pay. The contracts they sign when taking a role include not only that they must act in the movie but that they must do hundreds (thousands?) of interviews to promote it.

So while you may not think you're influenced by advertising, press and marketing, the fact is that the movie studios have built their business success on it.

Roni

Gold Member
What's the guarantee the strike will be done by then? Is WB spoiling the fact that if the strike goes on until then the studios will cave?

Hugare

I love Villeneuve, but I thought the movie was boring

Having Chalamet as this badass hero doesnt convince

Elysion

Banned
I count the 80s version as the real Dune ..

What I like the most about Dune 84 is its anachronistic ‘Prussia in space’ aesthetic, with its 19th century European imperial-style uniforms. It reminds me of the aesthetics of a lot of Japanese space and sci-fi anime, like Gundam or Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Code Geass. Dune 21 had a bit of that, with the uniforms of House Artreides (and the bag-pipes were a nice touch I thought), but otherwise its aesthetic was a bit too sterile and brutalist for me. It’s also why I could never get into Star Trek, everything is too sleek, to clean, too sterile imo; not just the aesthetics, but the politics too, which are just ‘liberalism in space’. Boring.

Anyway, I hope Dune part 2 introduces some imperial splendor with the introduction of Irulan and the emperor.

Top Bottom