• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune Part 1 in Imax is one of the greatest ever cinematic experiences.

Marvel14

Banned
Oppenheimer is excellent but it can't match the perfect marriage of visuals, music, sound and story that is Villeneuve's Dune.

It's also a more complete and engrossing experience than Avatar 1.

Can't wait for Part 2. The Imax rerelease has a 10 min sneak peak and it looks set to take cinema to another level...

Last edited:

Romulus

Not sure why but I've tried to watch Dune three times and can't get through it. That's not consistent with me either. I typically make it through most movies, especially scifi.

Last edited:
John Candy No GIF by Laff

Doom85

I was tempted to see it tonight, but I’ve seen it on IMAX when it came out, and I’d rather save my rewatch the week before Part 2 so the first movie is still fresh in my mind.

But if it includes a 10 minute preview, really glad I skipped, I don’t want to be spoiled anymore past the first two trailers.

Soodanim

Never tried IMAX. I'd like to, but I'm not going to London just to watch a movie.

I should look it up, because outside of a resolution change I don't really know what's different compared to a standard cinema.

KrakenIPA

Never tried IMAX. I'd like to, but I'm not going to London just to watch a movie.

I should look it up, because outside of a resolution change I don't really know what's different compared to a standard cinema.
Im also curious what the difference is, for me its just a little 30 minute drive to the city to see an IMAX movie so I'm gonna go on Monday or Tuesday and see what they have available for my first IMAX experience!

Marvel14

Banned
Bruh. 300 was something else in the theaters. Crazy spectacle from beginning to the end
It's a sensory triumph no doubt. But its really an extended action set piece for the Spartans to kick ass with a graphic novelesque visual style..

Dune is more than that...the visual splendour feels real as if each shot is a piece of art, and when tied to the sound and music ...it's truly unmatched.

Gravity is also an incredible imax experience...as close as you'll ever get to the sensation of being in space. But as the complete sensory experience you can't topple Dune.

Fury Road is amazing too...it might give Dune a run for its money on Imax...but its so action heavy it probably doesn't envelop you the way Dune does.

Interstellar is a great movie but is not on the same tier as a complete cinematic experience.

Soodanim Soodanim It's the size of it all both sight and sound. It totally envelopes you.

Last edited:

T-0800

I know every scene in every movie is carefully staged but Dune was the first movie I've watched where it really felt obvious. I found it distracting.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

I saw it in lieMax a couple of times when it first released. I think it was at a Regal or AMC.

Now I've discovered dual laser IMAX at a true IMAX screen but I won't be in town to catch it. 😞

It's only playing 4 days and them being removed for Madam Web lol

SJRB

Gold Member
Villenue's Dune isn't even the best Dune movie, much less imax experience, some of ya'll need to get out more.

And Zendaya is the third place Chani for sure
bi44ire.jpg

0umJNRq.png

Villeneuve's Dune looks sick as fuck, his dreadful Zendaya casting doesn't diminish the visual flair and grandiose scale.

In fact, the movie is filled with questionable casting choices but it still looks insane.

Marvel14

Banned
Villenue's Dune isn't even the best Dune movie, much less imax experience, some of ya'll need to get out more.

And Zendaya is the third place Chani for sure
bi44ire.jpg

0umJNRq.png
Since we've barely seen Zendaya act and you're posting pictures I assume you mean visually.

Sorry to break it to you but neither of these two look like they live in the desert under harsh conditions, battered by the withering sun.

They look like Met Gala extras.

Last edited:
Man what an experience. Nothing beats hearing that amazing score in a theater. When Paul's vision of the holy war fills up the entire IMAX screen... chills.

I can not wait for part 2. The sneak preview of Paul riding the worm was so cool to see on the big screen.

I'm bringing my whole family along for the ride 🥳

jason10mm

Gold Member
Since we've barely seen Zendaya act and you're posting pictures I assume you mean visually.

Sorry to break it to you but neither of these two look like they live in the desert under harsh conditions, battered by the withering sun.

They look like Met Gala extras.
Zendaya acts the same in everything, so I feel pretty comfortable saying her take on Chani is not gonna be as good as Sean Young nor as revealing as the syfy miniseries Chani.

Ain't no one in any version of Dune look like they live in a desert, so that isn't really a consideration.

Marvel14

Banned
Zendaya acts the same in everything, so I feel pretty comfortable saying her take on Chani is not gonna be as good as Sean Young nor as revealing as the syfy miniseries Chani.

Ain't no one in any version of Dune look like they live in a desert, so that isn't really a consideration.
How did you become such a Zendaya fan? I've only seen her in Spidey and Greatest Showman and she's pretty different in both.

The ultimate cinematic experience is getting head in the theater. It don't matter what movie you're watching. Ninja Turles, The Power Rangers. It don't matter.

Marvel14

Banned
Meh. I saw T2 Judgement Day and The Matrix in theaters so No.
Matrix I'll buy...it's an amazing visual and sonic spectacle.

T2 is a great movie with great effects but not a top tier cinemátic experience- especially not sonically.

CGNoire

T2 is a great movie with great effects but not a top tier cinemátic experience- especially not sonically.
T2 has unfortuantly had its memory tarnished by a huge number of DVDs and Blurays released which have all come with the inferior 5.1 remix done for the 2000 re-release dvd gutting the volume and the intensity of Brad Fidels score. The only way to hear it as it was orginally intended is if youve got a vhs copy lying around. Shit drives me mad.

AJUMP23

I think part 2 with worms actually emerging and riding will be pretty amazing. But I don't know the last great cinematic experience to me was either the balrog in LoTR or just the overwhelming sound of Interstellar.

I would love to see original SW trilogy with updated sound, no new effects on an IMAX.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I would love to see original SW trilogy with updated sound, no new effects on an IMAX.
Never gonna happen, alas. At least while Lucas lives. I'm not even against some of the updates, but poor ANH BUTCHERS Han Solo's best scene and the jabba bit is so cringe. The mos eisley and death star add-ons are ok, though they look pretty bad now when compared to the models. Cleaning up the matte frames around insert shots and whatnot I'm ok with as well.

AJUMP23

Never gonna happen, alas. At least while Lucas lives. I'm not even against some of the updates, but poor ANH BUTCHERS Han Solo's best scene and the jabba bit is so cringe. The mos eisley and death star add-ons are ok, though they look pretty bad now when compared to the models. Cleaning up the matte frames around insert shots and whatnot I'm ok with as well.

I have the Despecialized version at home. That is all my kids have seen.

thefool

Honestly, some of the production design of this film is extremely wonky

tjOnNHY.png

GlK7a14.jpeg

And the costume design is atrocious (Bene Gesserit-related is great tho)

Di6QywI.jpeg

Seeing this stuff on a huge screen doesn't help.

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
T2 has unfortuantly had its memory tarnished by a huge number of DVDs and Blurays released which have all come with the inferior 5.1 remix done for the 2000 re-release dvd gutting the volume and the intensity of Brad Fidels score. The only way to hear it as it was orginally intended is if youve got a vhs copy lying around. Shit drives me mad.
Edward Furlong's acting ultimately let's the whole movie down. It's b-movie tier.
Honestly, some of the production design of this film is extremely wonky

tjOnNHY.png

GlK7a14.jpeg

And the costume design is atrocious (Bene Gesserit-related is great tho)

Di6QywI.jpeg

Seeing this stuff on a huge screen doesn't help.
I dunno what to tell you...to each their own taste...

Top Bottom