• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons and Dragons: Who still plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearthgar

Banned
ultron87 said:
Just felt like sharing a story here about how one of my groups have somewhat totally ruined our DM's game:

So we're in this scenario where we are in some out of control carts flying down a path towards a cliff while a large sandworm was spitting out bugs at us and trying to eat us. It ended up with half the party catapulting off the cliff on top of the worm and eventually landing in a lake at the bottom of the cliff. The Cleric and Ranger just kind of watched as this happened.

Eventually we kill everything off except for the badly injured worm. Our Ranger hops on its back and asks "Can I tame it?" Now I have to respect the DM here for giving her the chance instead of just saying "Nope, its too dumb/too mad/whatever." So he allows her a nature check on which she triumphantly rolls a nat 20. So now we have a giant worm to ride around and the DM will have to plan things in such a way that we can't just knock everything over/eat it with our giant worm.

I love DnD.

Had a pretty funny experience that worked out really well in a campaign with my stepdad as DM. We encountered a Djinn that would give us up to 5 wishes if we answered his riddles.

The riddles were very difficult, but we managed to get 3 right. Now I can't remember what, but there was definitely something quest related that we were sort of pushed to wish to resolve.

As a Chaotic Neutral Swashbuckler, and the talker of the group, I'd decided that having an airship would be muuuuuuuuch cooler than that. I knew my stepdad well enough to know that it'd take a few wishes to get the exact thing that I wanted, but it actually worked out really well and created some great situations.

One time we had to use it like a normal ship so as not to draw attention to ourselves, but none of us knew how to crew a ship, so we had this magically powered airship that inadvertently turned into a powerboat because none of us had the proper skills.

Our DM balanced it out by making it a money sink. Pretty close to 25% of all our of gold ended up having to go towards repairs, and rival thieves guilds were always trying to steal it.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Slevin140 said:
Had a pretty funny experience that worked out really well in a campaign with my stepdad as DM. We encountered a Djinn that would give us up to 5 wishes if we answered his riddles.

The riddles were very difficult, but we managed to get 3 right. Now I can't remember what, but there was definitely something quest related that we were sort of pushed to wish to resolve.

As a Chaotic Neutral Swashbuckler, and the talker of the group, I'd decided that having an airship would be muuuuuuuuch cooler than that. I knew my stepdad well enough to know that it'd take a few wishes to get the exact thing that I wanted, but it actually worked out really well and created some great situations.

One time we had to use it like a normal ship so as not to draw attention to ourselves, but none of us knew how to crew a ship, so we had this magically powered airship that inadvertently turned into a powerboat because none of us had the proper skills.

Our DM balanced it out by making it a money sink. Pretty close to 25% of all our of gold ended up having to go towards repairs, and rival thieves guilds were always trying to steal it.

The talk of airships makes me miss Spelljammer. I know its a terrible setting, but god did I have with some of our campaigns in it.

Zelrith

Slevin140 said:

I'm in this game with Slevin. That ship has been beat to hell and back over the course of our adventures with it. Had one of these make a nice hole in the deck when it jumped out of the ocean and onto the ship.
dragon-turtle.jpg

The ship also had a deck of many things on it when we found it. Everyone was getting all these cool bonuses so my wizard drew his cards and got his soul obliterated. Another player ended up giving up what he had received just so I could have the possibility of being resurrected.

JayDubya

Banned
I run two online games, one consisting mostly of GAF members, and I play a paragon Paladin in a bimonthly IRL game.

I fancy 4E.

I'd really like to play in 4E Dark Sun or 4E Eberron, though. Or DM something. I miss Eberron something fierce.

Chorazin said:
They've been saying an iPhone/iPad version was coming since Character Builder was announced. They should have just used HTML 5 to build the web-based character builder instead of Silverlight, problem would have been solved.

Yup. I've read that some sort of support for mobile devices is coming but nothing to announce. Kinda like Game Table. :(

hoverX

just started rolling up a character for a Shadowrun campaign i've joined. So much fun fleshing out a character from scratch. Can't wait to play this saturday!

Played my first session in the weekly Encounters group here in Orlando on Wednesday and it was decent.

While not as good as my regular Chicago group, this is more beer and pretzels DnD and fun for what it's worth so far.

Loving the new Healer Druid. Got to use two of my wilderness knacks to great plot success.

Anyone else trying out Wizard's weekly sessions?

hoverX

I've been meaning to try encounters but I'm currently intrigued by Pathfinder. Trying to resist buying the rulebook.

hoverX said:
I've been meaning to try encounters but I'm currently intrigued by Pathfinder. Trying to resist buying the rulebook.

Really nicely done book, but I'm done with 3.5. But if you want it, I always say buy buy buy. Love to support the hobby!

Buy Pathfinder online, the book is only $9.95 and is most up to date version. Finding a copy of the latest printing with all the fixes/updates can be a pain, and it's $50. Being a huge book too it helps to have a digital version for quick rule searches.

Our local GM quit doing weekly encounters because some are just absolute shit in design. In two of the first couple Dark Sun weeklys they put out, we had TPK's before any player even got to go their first turn.

JayDubya

Banned
Pathfinder is awesome, wish I could play it routinely.

It's more than a simple campaign setting. It isn't really 3.5; it's a very nice refinement of that game design.

Our local GM quit doing weekly encounters because some are just absolute shit in design. In two of the first couple Dark Sun weeklys they put out, we had TPK's before any player even got to go their first turn.

Most D&D games set the difficulty slider too far down, and that's kind of a systemic design problem. My first instinct is "Ooh. Challenge. <3," but if it was truly a TPK before the party could act, then yeah, that's bad design, so bad it's down with invisible spike traps, blue lightning, and other such "Rocks fall, everyone dies" nonsense.

We had no problem with the Forgotten Realms weeklies, they were tuff yes, but when we started Dark Sun it went to shit. They are supposed to be hard, but for there to be a chance of TPK before any player even goes was just too much.

hoverX

krypt0nian said:
Really nicely done book, but I'm done with 3.5. But if you want it, I always say buy buy buy. Love to support the hobby!

buy buy buy is usually what happens when i drink near my 2 local gaming stores. I ended picking up the rulebook on wednesday. Really nice book. On first glance i seem to like 4e better but i've yet to play either. (still trying to find a good group)

hoverX said:
buy buy buy is usually what happens when i drink near my 2 local gaming stores. I ended picking up the rulebook on wednesday. Really nice book. On first glance i seem to like 4e better but i've yet to play either. (still trying to find a good group)

I modeled my beloved Storm Sorcerer, Venn off of the the pic of the eldritch knight in there. One look at that image and I had his entire backstory and personality.

Amazingly well put together book, on a purely aesthetic level.

Side note: there are a ridiculous number of gaming stores here in the Orlando area. Moved down here a few weeks ago and it's like Mecca down here. There are far far fewer stores in the Chicagoland area, so it's amazing to see gaming flourish down here. :D

Ganhyun

So, Pathfinder, those that have tried it, whats it's style compared to say, 3.0 or 3.5? Faster? Slower? About the same?

My group hates 4th so thats out for us going forward. Then again, my group seems to hate alot of new systems.

They dont like 4th, or the newest White Wolf WOD books either.

I'm intrigued by Pathfinder (shop owner pointed it out to me the other day as a possible game my group would like) and by the Dresden RPG.

Also, same questions for the Dresden RPG as well.

bart jr

Neo Member
I started playing D&D(3.5) about 8 months ago, and have had a lot of fun so far. I play with guys from work, and we try to get together once a week. The person who usually runs the group has been playing for over 20 years, so he usually comes up with his own campaigns.

For NYE we are getting together and running a 'gauntlet' of sorts. We all get to create lvl 20 characters and have pre-determined ability scores that we get to assign to the ability of our choice. We also have 10 different options to choose from of various equipment/enchantment/item sets. The DM is creating 5 monsters, all using the same criteria that we have. He is also creating 5 arenas for the gauntlet. Each player will roll to determine the monster/arena for the first battle. If you win, then on to the next randomly determined battle. The first 4 monsters are random, whereas the 5th is considered the 'final boss' and will always be the same.

I ended up creating a Fighter/Cleric character(10 lvls in each). If anyone is interested, I can report back with how the night goes.

Anyone else pick up Green Ronin's Mutants and Masterminds new 3rd edition? They started this Ed with the fan service dream that is DC Adventures, and now have brought the excellent system to their baby M&M.

They've tweaked some interesting thing and made power creation a series of effects. They've also moved much farther away from the game's d20 origins.

I'm waiting for my GM turn to pop up again so I can run a fast paced Silver Age 3-shot for my group. They're a bit gun-shy of Superhero roleplaying agreement disaster that was Aberrant, but I know I can show them how a real hero game works.

PDF preview here - http://grfiles.game-host.org/files/MNM3Epreview.pdf

DC Adventures PDF QuickStart here - http://grfiles.game-host.org/3e_files/DCA_Quick_Start.pdf

Aquaman - http://grfiles.game-host.org/3e_files/DCAPreview_01.pdf

The Joker - http://grfiles.game-host.org/3e_files/DCAPreview_02_The_Joker.pdf

Ulairi

Banned
Ganhyun said:
So, Pathfinder, those that have tried it, whats it's style compared to say, 3.0 or 3.5? Faster? Slower? About the same?

My group hates 4th so thats out for us going forward. Then again, my group seems to hate alot of new systems.

I'm intrigued by Pathfinder (shop owner pointed it out to me the other day as a possible game my group would like) and by the Dresden RPG.

Pathfinder is cleaner than 3.5 and faster. It's to me what 4E should have been. My group hated 4E too and we are starting Pathfinder this weekend.

Ganhyun said:

Some call it D&D 3.75

Its basically 3.5 with a bunch of little tweaks to the game system and the various classes. For the most part it seems smoother than 3.5. If your group hates 4E, then Pathfinder is a good choice.

Also recommend buying it direct in pdf format as you get access to the most up to date version and it's only $9.99. The printed big book has gone through over 3 printings so far with revisions in each and it's pricey (though big book)

We've been doing Pathfinder for a couple months now and it's been pretty good, and if your familiar with old school D&D it's very quick to adopt

dude

dude
Ganhyun said:

When we're playing D&D, we mostly play a heavy house-ruled version of Pathfinder. If does some things very right, and some still very wrong. It's better than both 4E and 3.5E IMO. It's faster than 3.5, I think... Seems like it, anyway.

hoverX

It is free but with limitations. I'd like the group to be private and i'd like to host more than 1 image. Both of those things cost dough. Otherwise i'd be all over it.

shoplifter

Awesome if you like to buy booster packs of cards.

I think I'm going to run Synnibar. No joke.

\/\/\/ if you're not opposed to it, give Fantasycraft a look. It essentially fixed just about everything I didn't like about 3e. It still has classes, etc., but in play it's quite a bit different, and a departure from 3/3.5/PF.

ultron87

Count Dookkake said:
How's the new Gamma World?

Ran a game last weekend. It is entertaining randomness that is a nice change of pace from normal DnD.

The "collectible card game" thing really isn't a big deal at all. It comes with a pretty good deck of powers and items so you'll have plenty of time before you see lots of repeats. And it is always going to be waaaay more varied than normal 4E.

Also, it is really fun to run because it is pretty much designed to kill characters. Which isn't bad if you're using it as a one shot game or break between campaigns.

teiresias

So I was out to dinner with a group of friends and somehow D&D came up in the conversation. My best friend's brother (a little older than us - we're all about 31) was big into playing it when he was in high school. I had been listening to Critical Hits and the Penny Arcade podcasts out of curiosity, and mentioned how I'd bought WoD books in college just to read (but never played), and I still own the old blue West End Games Star Wars 2nd Edition rulebook (again, never played).

Surprisingly, they all seemed to be open to trying to play it, and I said I'd think about picking up the books and learning the rules and basically saying I'd DM. Fast forward to last weekend, and my boyfriend presents me with the following as an early anniversary present:

y6yl4.jpg

So now I suppose I'm obligated. I have some campaign ideas (actually thinking of basing something on some Witcher material storyline-wise), but figure I'll run some pre-made modules first.

I think I'll just stick to exclusive "Essentials" play since that's what I've got. From reading around, it seems the main difference with going with Essentials is the character generation, since the HotFL and HotFK player guides seem to follow a different build philosophy from the original PHB series. Apparently, it's simpler, which is probably not a bad thing given who I'd be playing with (and myself honestly).

The Red Box, honestly, feels kind of worthless since I'd rather have everyone learn to make characters from the two Essentials player manuals, and Red Box characters aren't strictly compatible anyway since there's a conversion to make them compatible with the actual errata-updated 4E rules as found in Essentials. I'm thinking of having my group make regular characters from HotFL and HotFK and play them through the Red Box scenario as practice, I'm just not sure whether the experience would really be balanced or not though, I'm not familiar enough with the mechanics to be able to read the monster stats and just know such a thing!

Anyway, this should be interesting. If I decide to home-write a campaign I guess I'll pick up the Essentials Monster Vault too.

Karak

We are in our 7th year of our Fading Suns+Warhammer 40,000 game. Its pretty damn fun. Even though it is sometimes hard to get time to play with so many other things, roleplaying grounds me and really is super relaxing.

We had a reunion game last week. We spent 2 hours just talking about where we started to now. The rises and falls of characters, the death (only 1 player total) the heroism, sacrifice, the weaving plots and storylines. It was 2 hours of perfect memories.

HOWEVER, I made a horrible mistake and decided to play in a couple other people's games. I am not sure when roleplaying really completely changed to ROLLPlaying but damn. All 7 of those DM's some of them with 11 years of experience were terrible. Barely any flavor or dialogue, rolling for everything, poor descriptions, mini use for every fucking thing in the book. It damn near turned into a game of heroscape or heroquest. Ug.

We also started another game of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd. I know some people hate it but with a bit of fixing, man I love that rule system 1d100 feels so perfect and allows such an incredible amount of flexibility in everything. I love it. So much freedom and ease.

Ulairi

Banned
teiresias said:
So I was out to dinner with a group of friends and somehow D&D came up in the conversation. My best friend's brother (a little older than us - we're all about 31) was big into playing it when he was in high school. I had been listening to Critical Hits and the Penny Arcade podcasts out of curiosity, and mentioned how I'd bought WoD books in college just to read (but never played), and I still own the old blue West End Games Star Wars 2nd Edition rulebook (again, never played).

Surprisingly, they all seemed to be open to trying to play it, and I said I'd think about picking up the books and learning the rules and basically saying I'd DM. Fast forward to last weekend, and my boyfriend presents me with the following as an early anniversary present:

y6yl4.jpg

So now I suppose I'm obligated. I have some campaign ideas (actually thinking of basing something on some Witcher material storyline-wise), but figure I'll run some pre-made modules first.

I think I'll just stick to exclusive "Essentials" play since that's what I've got. From reading around, it seems the main difference with going with Essentials is the character generation, since the HotFL and HotFK player guides seem to follow a different build philosophy from the original PHB series. Apparently, it's simpler, which is probably not a bad thing given who I'd be playing with (and myself honestly).

The Red Box, honestly, feels kind of worthless since I'd rather have everyone learn to make characters from the two Essentials player manuals, and Red Box characters aren't strictly compatible anyway since there's a conversion to make them compatible with the actual errata-updated 4E rules as found in Essentials. I'm thinking of having my group make regular characters from HotFL and HotFK and play them through the Red Box scenario as practice, I'm just not sure whether the experience would really be balanced or not though, I'm not familiar enough with the mechanics to be able to read the monster stats and just know such a thing!

Anyway, this should be interesting. If I decide to home-write a campaign I guess I'll pick up the Essentials Monster Vault too.

Essentials is a better version of 4E. It's much closer to what D&D actually is and not a game that wanted to be made for people who don't like D&D. I just picked up the products too.

Vagabundo

I'm GMing a Star Wars Saga game. It's my first one and it is going swimmingly. Interesting PCs, decent story and some great times. Saga rules are really cool. I'm using the Dawn of Defiance adventure path.

I'd recommend it.

JayDubya

Banned
teiresias said:

y6yl4.jpg

The Red Box, honestly, feels kind of worthless since I'd rather have everyone learn to make characters from the two Essentials player manuals, and Red Box characters aren't strictly compatible anyway since there's a conversion to make them compatible with the actual errata-updated 4E rules as found in Essentials. I'm thinking of having my group make regular characters from HotFL and HotFK and play them through the Red Box scenario as practice, I'm just not sure whether the experience would really be balanced or not though, I'm not familiar enough with the mechanics to be able to read the monster stats and just know such a thing!.

If you and your players are new to the system, I would absolutely start with Essentials characters; they are quicker to build, simpler to play, and perform decently, if not at par with an optimized build of a standard character from a veteran player.

The Red Box is meant to evoke the old Red Box, which is to say it provides a very, very basic D&D experience to get people started. Very few classes, no choices in character development, only 3 levels of advancement, very simple adventure.

Rules Compendium is great because there has been so much Errata since 4th's launch that changes the rules in a big, big way.

Godspeed, good luck, and you have any questions about DM'ing or need a sounding board for ideas, post em here.

teiresias

JayDubya said:
If you and your players are new to the system, I would absolutely start with Essentials characters; they are quicker to build, simpler to play, and perform decently, if not at par with an optimized build of a standard character from a veteran player.

The Red Box is meant to evoke the old Red Box, which is to say it provides a very, very basic D&D experience to get people started. Very few classes, no choices in character development, only 3 levels of advancement, very simple adventure.

Rules Compendium is great because there has been so much Errata since 4th's launch that changes the rules in a big, big way.

Godspeed, good luck, and you have any questions about DM'ing or need a sounding board for ideas, post em here.

Thanks. Yeah, the characters in the Red Box are the reason I want to play through it using regular Essentials characters rather than those generated playing through the Red Box. That, and there's not a great way to do the "choose your own adventure"-style character generation that's in the Red Box in a group that I really find satisfactory. The Red box and the two adventures in the DM Kit get you from Level 1 to Level 4 I think, so that's a good starting sprint for everyone I think, and gets me some experience running things before I try and do my own stuff.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
dude said:
When we're playing D&D, we mostly play a heavy house-ruled version of Pathfinder. If does some things very right, and some still very wrong. It's better than both 4E and 3.5E IMO. It's faster than 3.5, I think... Seems like it, anyway.

what have you house-ruled im assuming you did the stuff you found wrong..but always curious of others perspectives.
I've been thinking about What from 3rd edition that Pathfinder kept that still bogs the game down alot.

One of the things that really made 3rd different(and 3.5 and pathfinder) from 2nd and 1st was the monster templates and monsters with classes.
Im not sure it was worth it tho ..over time its just made combat so complicated to manage and for online games its a metric f**k ton adding character classes to creatures for abilities/feates/skills ect for combat trackers.

It might just be one of those damned if you do damned if you don't things tho. But there is something wrong with the fact that even paizo stays away from 15th level + modules due to just how massive the character blocks need to be at that level.

dude

dude
bloodydrake said:
what have you house-ruled im assuming you did the stuff you found wrong..but always curious of others perspectives.
I've been thinking about What from 3rd edition that Pathfinder kept that still bogs the game down alot.

One of the things that really made 3rd different(and 3.5 and pathfinder) from 2nd and 1st was the monster templates and monsters with classes.
Im not sure it was worth it tho ..over time its just made combat so complicated to manage and for online games its a metric f**k ton adding character classes to creatures for abilities/feates/skills ect for combat trackers.

It might just be one of those damned if you do damned if you don't things tho. But there is something wrong with the fact that even paizo stays away from 15th level + modules due to just how massive the character blocks need to be at that level.
Pathfinder has some horrible classl abilities and spells, and multi-classing is still as broken as in 3E. So we had to change those.

We recently decided to shun all forms of D&D (including Pathfinder though) and are looking like crazy for a replacement - Something simple, with as few rules as possible, but still not a broken abusable system. It seems to be impossible... We're this close to just going Free-form (one member of our group is vehemently against it though, so we're still looking.)

teiresias said:
Thanks. Yeah, the characters in the Red Box are the reason I want to play through it using regular Essentials characters rather than those generated playing through the Red Box. That, and there's not a great way to do the "choose your own adventure"-style character generation that's in the Red Box in a group that I really find satisfactory. The Red box and the two adventures in the DM Kit get you from Level 1 to Level 4 I think, so that's a good starting sprint for everyone I think, and gets me some experience running things before I try and do my own stuff.

Great plan. Gives you time to soak in the system before you put the time into your own stuff.

You can definitely outline/world build in advance though.

EDIT: Since we're getting some more traffic, is anyone familiar with the Mutants and Masterminds system? They just went to a 3rd edition and I'm loving it so far. There's a DC Universe themed core book as well.

Karak

dude said:
Pathfinder has some horrible classl abilities and spells, and multi-classing is still as broken as in 3E. So we had to change those.

We recently decided to shun all forms of D&D (including Pathfinder though) and are looking like crazy for a replacement - Something simple, with as few rules as possible, but still not a broken abusable system. It seems to be impossible... We're this close to just going Free-form (one member of our group is vehemently against it though, so we're still looking.)

If you need some ideas for free form hit me up on PM and I can try to send you some of the stuff we use. For some of our games (our main game in fact) we use poker decks and a 1d10 or 1d100 based system of skills and power with players using playing cards instead of dice.

One of the best parts is if I don't want the players to know their own rolls on something (figuring out a trap or understanding a riddle, finding a clue) they show me the card face forward. This alleviates me rolling for them, and also keeps them subtly guessing on if they truly succeeded or not. It added a level of player interaction that is missing in many games, or has to be planned in advance or even require a place to roll:) With cards, we have 7 people sitting in beanbags, laying down, sitting up, standing and explaining their moves, whatever, with the cards allowing for instant rolls and no need for surfaces.

There is never the certainty of something unless they succeed by a great deal or they critical pass a test (joker or whatever face card you decide pregame). However, due to them not seeing it some rolls, they then can use skills that they have to ascertain or understand if what they THINK is going on really is. We found this also allowed us to add skills to our skills list that frankly get lost in some games due to them not seeming to have a connection to the game style at that time. As I said its a bit hard to describe and you do have to spend a couple hours trying to decide how you want the rules to flow and how deep you want to go, but due to the very nature of the card system it is so fast that even if you want to make a good deal of complexity it doesn't matter because its so fast and there is so much more flexibility that you can do that if you want.

In addition it fucking makes battle amazing. In our games, some player classes can learn combos or special moves, spells, skills that are a set move 1 2 3 kind of thing like jab jab cross lets say. For this They draw say...3 cards and lay them out, that is their three parts of an attack combo. Then I draw mine without them seeing. And I go on to explain what happens with no needed breaks and embellishing and running easy numbers in my head all in one seamless narrative, even if, for example, they have a failure on their second jab but their cross card was high. This seems to have created a very real heroic, strangely satisfying removal of the tit for tat that a good deal of games have in battle. We can still do that kind of thing if we want, but when we don't players have explained to me that it finally feels like the way roleplaying should, with free flowing combat that is very fast, really cinematic and still is pretty safe from being abused and when you do finally get a special move, or create your own(after training), you feel like it is yours, but there is still the chance that it may not go perfectly but still succeed. It is that gray area that we were finding was missing in many rules systems.

Basically it seemed to increase the roleplaying aspect of the game back to something far more interactive, the ease of using the play area itself increased tremendously, it returned some of the mystery to the game, and also made the battle sequences far far more enjoyable than any of the 15+ systems we had used in the past 21 years.

It is the rule system we use in our long term Fading Suns+Warhamer 40,000 game as well and has stood the test of time and...I think maybe 14 total players. And even those that have left our group, moved away and such, all use it now. Its been a pretty fantastic discovery for us.

Obviously this isn't for everyone. Even my players at first, really enjoyed their dice:) and didn't want to move on. But it's benefits are many and so far, its weaknesses seem to be...none other than the players going from playing 1 time a month to 3.

dude

dude
Karak said:
If you need some ideas for free form hit me up on PM and I can try to send you some of the stuff we use. For some of our games (our main game in fact) we use poker decks and a 1d10 or 1d100 based system of skills and power with players using playing cards instead of dice.

One of the best parts is if I don't want the players to know their own rolls on something (figuring out a trap or understanding a riddle, finding a clue) they show me the card face forward. This alleviates me rolling for them, and also keeps them subtly guessing on if they truly succeeded or not. It added a level of player interaction that is missing in many games, or has to be planned in advance or even require a place to roll:) With cards, we have 7 people sitting in beanbags, laying down, sitting up, standing and explaining their moves, whatever, with the cards allowing for instant rolls and no need for surfaces.

There is never the certainty of something unless they succeed by a great deal or they critical pass a test (joker or whatever face card you decide pregame). However, due to them not seeing it some rolls, they then can use skills that they have to ascertain or understand if what they THINK is going on really is. We found this also allowed us to add skills to our skills list that frankly get lost in some games due to them not seeming to have a connection to the game style at that time. As I said its a bit hard to describe and you do have to spend a couple hours trying to decide how you want the rules to flow and how deep you want to go, but due to the very nature of the card system it is so fast that even if you want to make a good deal of complexity it doesn't matter because its so fast and there is so much more flexibility that you can do that if you want.

In addition it fucking makes battle amazing. In our games, some player classes can learn combos or special moves, spells, skills that are a set move 1 2 3 kind of thing like jab jab cross lets say. For this They draw say...3 cards and lay them out, that is their three parts of an attack combo. Then I draw mine without them seeing. And I go on to explain what happens with no needed breaks and embellishing and running easy numbers in my head all in one seamless narrative, even if, for example, they have a failure on their second jab but their cross card was high. This seems to have created a very real heroic, strangely satisfying removal of the tit for tat that a good deal of games have in battle. We can still do that kind of thing if we want, but when we don't players have explained to me that it finally feels like the way roleplaying should, with free flowing combat that is very fast, really cinematic and still is pretty safe from being abused and when you do finally get a special move, or create your own(after training), you feel like it is yours, but there is still the chance that it may not go perfectly but still succeed. It is that gray area that we were finding was missing in many rules systems.

Basically it seemed to increase the roleplaying aspect of the game back to something far more interactive, the ease of using the play area itself increased tremendously, it returned some of the mystery to the game, and also made the battle sequences far far more enjoyable than any of the 15+ systems we had used in the past 21 years.

It is the rule system we use in our long term Fading Suns+Warhamer 40,000 game as well and has stood the test of time and...I think maybe 14 total players. And even those that have left our group, moved away and such, all use it now. Its been a pretty fantastic discovery for us.

Obviously this isn't for everyone. Even my players at first, really enjoyed their dice:) and didn't want to move on. But it's benefits are many and so far, its weaknesses seem to be...none other than the players going from playing 1 time a month to 3.
Thanks for the suggestion :)
Right now, we've found two game we're interested in
- Advanced Fighting Fantasy (Yes, the 31 years old game. It's old, but it's pretty damn simple and seems to have a nice flow to it. This is actually one of the first RPGs some of us played, so it's pretty nice to go back to it.)
- Altus Adventum (another simple game that seems nice.)

Both games are classless, which is a huge plus, simply to learn, and seem balanced enough to not be horrible.

Altus Adventum is not a very well known game, so it's very hard to find testimonials from people who played it... If anyone here played it and can offer an opinion it'll be great.

Karak

dude said:
Thanks for the suggestion :)
Right now, we've found two game we're interested in
- Advanced Fighting Fantasy (Yes, the 31 years old game. It's old, but it's pretty damn simple and seems to have a nice flow to it. This is actually one of the first RPGs some of us played, so it's pretty nice to go back to it.)
- Altus Adventum (another simple game that seems nice.)

Both games are classless, which is a huge plus, simply to learn, and seem balanced enough to not be horrible.

Altus Adventum is not a very well known game, so it's very hard to find testimonials from people who played it... If anyone here played it and can offer an opinion it'll be great.
Advanced Fighting Fantasy I did not like to much after moving on to games that, being honest, took some of its strength and then made the other parts better. I think its a pretty big step back.

I used to play Altus Adventum a great deal, which may explain my continued desire to keep narrative high, rolling amounts to a all time low, and the game moving forward. It made a pretty big impact on me. I did have a couple complaints revolving around the system itself in that sometimes you can end up getting two characters a good deal like one another. It felt a big like the military with the infantry or something. Didn't always happen, it just occurred sometimes.

Both systems would work very well with some house rules to keep players feeling modernized. That's how we do it.

By the way, classless is great in a game, but sometimes a shallow class system, or advanced training system that a character can follow can do wonders to make players want to advance.

Karak said:
HOWEVER, I made a horrible mistake and decided to play in a couple other people's games. I am not sure when roleplaying really completely changed to ROLLPlaying but damn. All 7 of those DM's some of them with 11 years of experience were terrible. Barely any flavor or dialogue, rolling for everything, poor descriptions, mini use for every fucking thing in the book. It damn near turned into a game of heroscape or heroquest. Ug.

I prefer the ROLE-playing over the ROLL-playing as well. I have never used miniatures or been a rules-lawyer. Unfortunately it seems a lot of people want to argue over details in rulebooks and play a board-game rather than an RPG. I have tried over the years to start some D&D games via forum but it always gets bogged down as people want to take a million years just to make a damn character.

And are they using that time to make a lush and detailed background? Nope. They instead are trying to make a Bugbear Bard/Rogue/DragonHunter with a vampire template so they can be invulnerable to everything. Then if/when they DO attempt to make a background its usually something either convoluted or designed in some way to be a potential advantage. (Son of a Duke or a Serial Killer)

It gets worse since I got tired of standard D&D and got into Homebrewing, which in turn is often incomplete, unclear, and unbalanced. It's fine with a good friend that understands and doesn't take advantage, but theres a lot of douchebags that want to point out every flaw in the hombrew or find ways to take advantage of it.

I don't have a problem with optimizing characters, I just can't stand it when people try to hide behind the very rules they are abusing. This usually results in arguments and loss of interest.

I've been thinking about getting off my butt and finishing my homebrew fantasy setting. Its based off of standard 3e d20 rules, but the magic system is entirely different and I am incorporating some stuff from the Tome of Battle, twisted to fit in with my own visions. The world itself is set in a tiny fantasy kingdom thats sort of a gritty fairy-tale in theme.

If I do finish it and decide to run a game, I will be pre-making characters and ruling-out multiclassing. Players will get to choose which character they want on a first-come first-serve basis and have limited ability to customize their background and whatnot.

On a side-note, I hope everyone here is aware of The Giant in the Playground's website (http://www.giantitp.com/index.html). It's got a VERY active D&D community in the forums. I'm actually playing in a Star Wars Saga campaign there now. Its a great resource for homebrew content too.

ultron87

Ulairi said:
Essentials is a better version of 4E. It's much closer to what D&D actually is and not a game that wanted to be made for people who don't like D&D. I just picked up the products too.

Just curious, what makes it so different from 4E in your eyes? From flipping through a few of the books it looks like it is the same basic rules as 4E but with more clearly laid out builds for character development.

teiresias

ultron87 said:
Just curious, what makes it so different from 4E in your eyes? From flipping through a few of the books it looks like it is the same basic rules as 4E but with more clearly laid out builds for character development.

I'm not sure exactly what he's referring to with his comment, but from my understanding outside the differences in the character build philosophy in the two Essentials Player Handbooks, the main good thing about the Essentials stuff is that it includes all the errata currently out there for the previous books. This would include the Rules Compendium, but apparently it also includes updated and corrected math in the stats of monsters in the Essentials Monsters Vault vs the older Monster Manuals books.

Vague

ultron87 said:

It's not different from 4E, it is 4E, it just has all the monthly updates included in the new versions of the publications and different variations on building characters. I'm playing a Sorcerer with my fiancée Warpriest (essentials build) in a MapTools game where some have essentials builds and others like me don't.

ultron87 said:

It's exactly the same game, but a few of the builds of the classes are based on modified basic attacks and so are easier for newer players to "get" than the more complicated classes (say from the Player's Handbook 3).

BTW there is a great D&D4E community on Twitter. Just search for either the #dnd hashtag and follow the more active people, or specifically look for @angryDM, @chattyDM, @matt_james_rpg, @neldar, @slyflourish, @sarahDarkmagic, @wolfsamurai, @newbieDM.

Tons of other great folks as well. Get in the circle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom