• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld Has Lost 97% Of Its Players On Steam Since Launch - Still In Top 30 Played

Mortisfacio

Screenshot20240401at.png

giphy.gif

24 hour peak is still 57% higher than HFW's all time high.

Have they updated the game with any mechanic? Because by itself the game loop in the game is quite finite.

Last edited:

SCB3

It was a decent flavor of the month game, see also: Lethal Company, they'll get resurgences with new updates perhaps but it was a one and done lightening in the bottle

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Had this game been on PlayStation, it wouldn't be getting taxed.
It was a game that DID NOT deserve the success it garnered. If you're 12 and not of sound enough mind, we all know why this game did well. NOW, if they improve the game and "finish it" beyond this "ending", we can have a different discussion

Your quote isn't worth acknowledging beyond stating obvious facts. And my track record with this game hasn't changed. I tried it on Gamepass, it was nowhere near as good as the hype led it to be and has landed where it belongs. Congrats to the devs on the success. My opinion doesn't change that just like it doesn't make it a good game.

Techies

Well it's not called the mainstream for nothing, the stream keeps moving. Only a handful of dedicated players stay, then players return when the next big expansion/content update releases out of curiosity then it's flavor of the week and the cycle continues. Nothing lasts forever.

JackMcGunns

It was a game that DID NOT deserve the success it garnered. If you're 12 and not of sound enough mind, we all know why this game did well. NOW, if they improve the game and "finish it" beyond this "ending", we can have a different discussion

Your quote isn't worth acknowledging beyond stating obvious facts. And my track record with this game hasn't changed. I tried it on Gamepass, it was nowhere near as good as the hype led it to be and has landed where it belongs. Congrats to the devs on the success. My opinion doesn't change that just like it doesn't make it a good game.

Opinions are like assholes. I personally love the game and still play it as of today. Currently farming a Meta Jetragon to 4 star to use as my main travel and battle and level 4 Pals for my base. If you played the game looking for a story, then you got the wrong game, this game is all about farming, building and having fun killing and collecting stuff. Even playing others online as a bonus, I personally haven't even tried the multiplayer and I already sunk hundreds of hours in it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Opinions are like assholes. I personally love the game and still play it as of today. Currently farming a Meta Jetragon to 4 star to use as my main travel and battle and level 4 Pals for my base. If you played the game looking for a story, then you got the wrong game, this game is all about farming, building and having fun killing and collecting stuff. Even playing others online as a bonus, I personally haven't even tried the multiplayer and I already sunk hundreds of hours in it.
I tried. It's where it needs to be and like I said when it first came out, I'm not sure if this is meant to last but much like NMS, if they can make something of it then they can have some proper praise.

Ribi

STOP CALLING A DAILY PEAK THE PLAYERBASE. a game with 10k players can still have over 200k players daily, all the peak tells us is how many are on at one time. There are multiple people who get on throughout the day.

for those curious 69,850 is the number of palworld as a DAILY peak. way higher than most games.

those of you coming out of the woodworks to call it dead might need the reality check.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

I tried. It's where it needs to be and like I said when it first came out, I'm not sure if this is meant to last but much like NMS, if they can make something of it then they can have some proper praise.

Not everyone has the same taste buddy, you don't have to praise it if it wasn't your cup of tea, but arguing against the general consensus is where you're failing. Also note this game is in Preview and you're judging it as if it were final code which is another red flag.

Mr Moose

Is this a Meme now? 25 million people purchased a game and stopped playing it after completion.... News at 11.

Does this mean Game Pass just beat Steam? Ruh roh, where are the doom gloomers? :messenger_winking_tongue:
Are you counting Game Pass players as purchases of this game?
It’s a single player game. I played it and really enjoyed my time. After I beat it I put it down. Isn’t that usually how things work?
It's co-op as well, not just single player.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
That article is so absurd lmao. “Not a sign that the game is failing”. Either the writer of the article thinks the game is a GaaS or he’s an absolute moron.

We haven’t seen a game blow up in popularity like that since PUBG in 2017. If it had zero players right now it would still be insane to call it a failure. It outperformed literally every AAA game ever put on Steam which is nearly every AAA same of the last 15 years or so. The only non f2p game that did better was PUBG and that’s a totally different beast.

Dynasty8

I am no fan of the game, but this thread makes it sound like the game is a failure lol.

They sold an absolute insane amount while it was in early access. Can't imagine what it'll do when the 1.0 version releases and more stuff is added to the game to make it better.

StueyDuck

I was assured by very very smart, super mega genius Gaf members that the game wasn't a fad and is thee most important and popular game of all time ever and ever.

so I can only assume these factual numbers are lying because of how it's not a fad and still the most popular game ever made.

DaGwaphics

I would guess that the ROI they made on this thing would put almost every AAA major release to shame. This was a huge hit for this studio given the budget and the headcount.

MiguelItUp

I'm sure the majority expected this to happen. It's just the nature of the beast nowadays. But they made their money, and the cycle is gonna repeat with another game.

Last edited:

DaciaJC

Gold Member
How many times is this headline going to pop up? The devs already said two months ago it's okay if people move onto other games.

"Just" 70k.
Some people need to touch grass and learn the meaning of numbers.

70k is drastically above almost everything else on Steam :LOL:

Besides, as far as I know, all games that launch successfully into early access (at least in that genre) follow similar numbers.
And then the numbers spike again when actual content is released.
Just checked...the game is the 40th most played game on steam right now.

I hardly would call that "drastically above almost everything else". Even something like Overwatch 2 that everyone says it's finished is at 30.

For the game that had the 2nd biggest CCU on steam EVER (like..in history) being now the 40th most played game in any time of the day, less than 3 months after release can't be amazing.

That said, it was an early release so everything it does before its actual release is a huge bonus and a huge help for the development team to finish the game. So i'm sure they are incredibly happy with the result. And i'm sure as more content is added some players will come back.

Still...there's no way to try and excuse this as a huge decrease. Everyone was talking about this game the week it released and 2 weeks later no one was doing so. It was a weird phenomenon.

Pop

What a clickbaity title

The game had over 2 million concurrent, so the drop off will be much higher than other games. Also a single player game. Still had a high of 60k today, better than 99% of junk on Steam

I aint even a fan of the game but c'mon

Fbh

People
"We hate games as a service, why does every new game want to be my second job? Just give me a fun 30 hours and let me move on"

Some of the same people
"hahaha look how much the player count dropped....it's like people enjoyed the game, played through all the content and then moved on to something else....look at this failure!!!"

Top Bottom