• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Palworld Has Lost 97% Of Its Players On Steam Since Launch - Still In Top 30 Played

darrylgorn

I seem to recall getting snapped at for even daring to criticize this POS when it came out - Pokémon clone or not.

Well then, have sum dis, bitches..

crowtable.2e16d0ba.fill-1920x1200.jpg

Other devs: “We sold millions of copies!”

Some Gaffers: “Congratulations! This means more sequels and more new games from this studio after we finish this one.”

Palworld Devs: “We sold millions of copies!”

Same Gaffers: “Yea…but your game won’t last though. In the end, you still lose because you’re just a fad.”

Palworld Devs:

dylan-what.gif

Other devs: “We sold millions of copies!”

Some Gaffers: “Congratulations! This means more sequels and more new games from this studio after we finish this one.”

Palworld Devs: “We sold millions of copies!”

Same Gaffers: “Yea…but your game won’t last though. In the end, you still lose because you’re just a fad.”

Palworld Devs:
I don't think palword devs give a shit. but some peole especially outside gaf were saying that Pokeworld's hype was going to be unstoppable, the inevitable acquisition for MS. heck even Sarah Bond name dropped it in the business update.

I don't think palword devs give a shit. but some peole especially outside gaf were saying that Pokeworld's hype was going to be unstoppable, the inevitable acquisition for MS. heck even Sarah Bond name dropped it in the business update.
I would sincerely hope they don’t give a shit, because they’ve already won.

Regarding their future, even if original Palworld players don’t return, all they would need to do is reveal a Palworld: Gold/Silver sequel a few years from now with big improvements/changes featuring a new collection of PALs, and quite a bit of that playerbase will return to buy that marketed sequel.

The whole playerbase loss argument feels like copium.

Stuart360

You guys realize that there are a lot of AAA games that dont even hit 70k at launch?, thats just the nature of Steam and PC gaming in general when you literally have tens of thousands of games to chose from.
The fact that a 'EarlyAccess' game with minimal content is still hitting 70k users 3 months after launch, well it doesnt happen often i'll tell you that.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This place is so weird. Once a narrative is set, some people just keep hammering it, whether the data is there or not. Repeating the dogma.

As I type it's no.26 in the most played chart.

Oh no.

At some point it won't be in the top 100 chart and at that point the game will have only been played by millions of people and made the tiny company that created it hundreds of millions of dollars. If they stop right now they're practically on half a billion dollars.

Oh no.

At that point some people will ignore how few games manage to reach as many players and make as much money, and post a shitty gif or picture to say I told you so. Totally insane.

ThisIsMyDog

Yes, 99% of games are going to lose most of their players over time, not everyone can be Counter-Strike.

And no, Helldivers 2 will be no exception.

FquTVjz.png

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I watched the "Lets Game it out" video on it and I can't for the life of me understand what the massive appeal to this game was/is, it's looks terrible, the grind looks woeful, the world hilarious and mechanics all over the place, really does look like a made by china formula game designed for morons

Filben

It's an early access game alright. No surprises here since the meaningful content will be very limited. Then again, if you played it for like 20 to 50 hours I guess you got your money's worth back. And I bet there are people having played it waaay longer than that.

Yes, 99% of games are going to lose most of their players over time, not everyone can be Counter-Strike.

And no, Helldivers 2 will be no exception.

FquTVjz.png

I don't know why you mentioned Helldivers 2 in here, but since you did, that graph doesn't show Helldivers 2 losing 97% of its playerbase in less than 2 months tho. How is that comparable to this?

palworld.png

Palworld is like 2 weeks older than Helldivers 2 only and while one peaked at higher than 2M CCU, the other never even reached half a million.

You literally proved the opposite of what you were trying to prove. Helldivers 2 is still #1 on steam's best sellers as we speak. Palworld is at #42.

What a weird comparison. Palworld is also cheaper lmao.

Laptop1991

Well it's normal to lose a player base after the initial launch as the new game factor doesn't last long, but these games they are releasing are maybe not keeping a fan base as long as games use to and i'm a PC gamer always have been, they are console games to me not PC games, where is the console numbers instead of Steam's, but i'm not buying these games or the likes of Avowed either, they are too cartoon looking and seem mid games to me that don't have the game play and replay ability of the games i use to buy in the past, this will keep happening until the games improve, just because a game is new doesn't mean its a really good game.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Like most videogames then?
Kind of, but also because it was heavily "inspired" by another IP and was released on a platform that the former big IP isn't available on.

Things like these usually spark a huge interest at the start because of word of mouth, but they often die on their own as they lack genuine creativity and fun elements.

Otherwise, if the devs were creative enough to make a sustainable long-term game, they would have just created a genuinely original IP on their own, without resorting to "heavy inspirations."

thief183

Well, you know when you have finished the game it is over... ppl will be back with the new updates and the raids. I'm done with it, I think it is a cool game but after 80 hours I did not have anything else to do.

Buggy Loop

Every single player games would have these drops if we had a look at their stats. The biggest blockbusters on consoles, etc. What’s expected? Do you think Zelda BOTW kept its peak that long?

Reality would hit like a brick if consoles had the balls to share stats.

Things like these usually spark a huge interest at the start because of word of mouth, but they often die on their own as they lack genuine creativity and fun elements.

Otherwise, if the devs were creative enough to make a sustainable long-term game, they would have just created a genuinely original IP on their own, without resorting to "heavy inspirations."

What

sustainable long-term is now an obligation for single player games?

images

So it seems to be a absolute Masterpiece Nintendo must be scared of
Cracking Up Lol GIF

What do you think Pokemon retains? Please share the data.

WTF at some of these takes.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Kind of, but also because it was heavily "inspired" by another IP and was released on a platform that the former big IP isn't available on.

Gibberish. The game has an end, is mostly a single player title like the poster above said, and is also in early access.

Its totally normal for a game of this type.

Top Bottom