• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durability questions on the psp.

Monk

Banned
I am considering buying a psp, but some things nag me.

First of all how good is the battery life now that you had it for 6 months?
Second how well do you need to take care of it. I mean if you just use a screen protector, can you accidently sit on it when you leave it on your bed or take small falls from a desk, will it survive?

Martin Fields screen protector + soft case that came packed in = perfect condition since launch

I haven't ever sat on it or dropped it to test, but I'd say don't buy it if you can't take care of it properly. Its no GBA. It's not meant to be a GBA. It's really not for kids or retards. I let my 8 year old cousin (who's pretty fucking sharp for his age) play it for 15 minutes. He loved it, but smeared the shit out of the sexy black plastic with his dirty, 8-year-old fingers. I keep it in the soft case and just slide it in my pocket when I want to take it somewhere. It isn't harmed at all. Sure, my fingerprints on the black part, but the screen is the only thing that matters really and the MF protector is perfect. You don't have to use silk gloves and only play it in germ-free clean rooms, just don't treat it as carefreely as you would a GBA.

If you treat it right, it will be just fine.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
No problems since launch. Been dropped onto a hard tile floor with no protection. No damage. Screen has a few scratches, but these can't be seen while playing. In fact, normal usage hides pretty much all flaws...but they become pretty obvious in direct sunlight.

Monk

Banned
Thanks. Has the battery life gone down since you got it? I am still worried about the small falls. Visitors can be such twats at times.

Dropped on concrete,rug, and tile due to retard next door. Only thing is a really small chip on the battery cover. No screen protector, just the soft case that comes with it. Screen is in perfect condition. Never sat on it though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SonicMegaDrive said:
I bet your heart almost stopped when it happened, though!

YES, I was totally freaked out. The thing is, it happened because I was running late and tried to put it away in a drawer. My hands slipped, though, and down it went. The battery cover flew off, but I was ready to drop to my knees in horror. Thankfully, no damage.

Heck, a friend of mine had it even worse. We were walking into a movie and he pulled out his PSP to show me something and his hands slipped. The PSP went flying forward and landed on cement. Slid about 4 feet too. It was a little scratched, but it still worked like a champ.

Cosmetic damage can occur from falls, obviously (as with any portable device, though the screen here is so big that it could be more of an issue), but the unit seems plenty strong enough to keep on trucking through various falls and such.

Flo_Evans

Mine was dragged off my desk at work by the recharge cord onto carpet.... no damage. Battery is good - takes a long time to recharge though (about 2hrs) but you can play while it is recharging.

about the screen - mine is naked, after a few times of cleaning it with my t-shirt I began to see what I thought were little scratches apear. Well I took a few drops of eyeglass cleaner and cleaned it with the microfiber cloth and they went away! Turns out they where just smudges that looked like scratches from wiping it off with my tshirt.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Exim screen protector and no problems yet on my current PSP. Brando screen protector on my original launch unit, and no problems there.

You can be sure I haven't dropped it yet, though.

Jonnyram

On PSP launch day, as I was unpacking my PSP in Starbucks to play with John TV, DCharlie and co., I knocked it off the tall table, on to the hard tile flooring. My heart skipped a beat but it was fine. I don't have a protector on the screen and no scratches so far, though I do use the case that came with the value pack all the time.

Andy787

Banned
Amazingly enough, I dropped mine at a hotel while sitting in a chair, onto solid carpet, and it still works fine. I thought it would surely be toast right when it left my hands. Never had a problem with battery life since I bought it at launch, either. I've been playing Untold Legends off and on every day the past few days, only recharging it at nights. Sleep mode is a wonderful thing.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
i didnt bring my psp outside till i got the logitech playgear. i plan to use this thing alot in the train so i needed something with better protection than the value pack case. if you're worried about damaging the psp, get the logitech playgear. i just toss it in my bag without any worries

battery life...~6 hours. obviously it'll decrease over time, but i haven't seen any changes. i usually just recharge it any chance i get anyway so it's nothing to worry about. unless you take frequent 6+ hour road trips...

EGM92

I have 3, 2Jap Launch units and 1 US launch unit. none of them have screen protectors, only softcase, 2 of them have fallen on my marble flooring and suffered no damage accept a few TINY scratchs on the battery cover. Only noticible when you feel with your fingers.

I thought my screens had some hairline scratchs.... turns out it was actually hairs lol

Sega

Did you guys hear about the 500 recharge limit for PSP batteries? Datel claims that the PSP has this limit, though I've never heard of it. I wonder if topping off the battery applies towards the limit. Sometimes, I unplug to go to another room for a moment, and then come back and plug it back in. Have you heard anything about this? It sounds like BS, but it's so blatent and out in the open that I wonder.

Monk

Banned
Sega said:
Did you guys hear about the 500 recharge limit for PSP batteries? Datel claims that the PSP has this limit, though I've never heard of it. I wonder if topping off the battery applies towards the limit. Sometimes, I unplug to go to another room for a moment, and then come back and plug it back in. Have you heard anything about this?

I know it is true for the GBA SP, but I am not sure about the PSP and DS.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
lithium batteries lose capacity when it reaches 500 recharges. you can still use the battery but you can only use approx. 70% capacity of the battery. battery life diminishes as time passes. this is normal for all lithium batteries, not just the PSP battery.

Sega

Yes, but Datel claims the PSP will refuse to charge at this point. Hence, they sell a charger that recharges despite this limit. That sucks. I'd run on 70% power for a while before buying a new battery. Has anyone heard of the PSP doing this? I'm sure no one's been able to charge near that much yet. Even at two full charges a day since launch, they wouldn't reach the limit. I'm not sure where Datel got this.

My PSP is fine and I stopped babying it after 2 weeks....

However my copy of Wipeout Pure is a casualty as the rear clear plastic insert fell in on itself and will no longer stay up, so it stopped spinning in drive.

I'm hoping thats a fluke as Ive not been able to fix it enough to play again and since its Wipe out, I have to rebuy it. =(

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Sega said:
Yes, but Datel claims the PSP will refuse to charge at this point. Hence, they sell a charger that recharges despite this limit. That sucks. I'd run on 70% power for a while before buying a new battery. Has anyone heard of the PSP doing this? I'm sure no one's been able to charge near that much yet. Even at two full charges a day since launch, they wouldn't reach the limit. I'm not sure where Datel got this.

my guess is datel is bullshitting

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Dropped it just a couple of weeks ago onto a hardwood floor. Wipeout Pure was mid-game. Hit the floor and the unit powered off, but everything started up again without a problem and there's been absolutely no problems with the unit since then.

In general, I don't use a screen protector and I usually just throw it in a coat pocket or my laptop bag if I'm taking it with me. No special protective measures and I just use my shirt to wipe away smudges that form. It's no less durable than any other portable device I've owned.

Yusaku

The battery issue was blown out of proportion. Only once has my PSP turned itself off because of low battery life, and that was just because I got lazy with recharging.

If you're not stupid no additional accessories are necessary to keep your PSP safe from harm. You don't need to buy a $10 screen protector. Just don't put it in your damn pocket with your car keys, alright?

Sega

Yusaku said:
If you're not stupid no additional accessories are necessary to keep your PSP safe from harm. You don't need to buy a $10 screen protector. Just don't put it in your damn pocket with your car keys, alright?
I may not need a screen protector to keep my PSP from getting scratches, but I may need one to ease my mind and sleep at night. It's ALL SCREEN, dude. That's SCARY. I don't care what the reality of the danger is.

Monk

Banned
Yusaku said:
The battery issue was blown out of proportion. Only once has my PSP turned itself off because of low battery life, and that was just because I got lazy with recharging.

I think you underestimate the number of idiots you have to watch out for in this world.

Sega

Hours ago, I dropped my PSP on the floor. Came up with a stuck pixel. Massaging didn't work. I don't have a memory card yet, so I can't test that movie that's supposed to fix some cases of stuck pixels. It's in a place where I can't massage it directly. Near (but not VERY near) the edge of the screen.

Jonsend

Dropped my US import PSP on a petrol station forecourt and the memory stick came out, apart from that it was fine though.

Top Bottom