• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dusk Golem reiterates that the Xbox will be more powerful than the PS5 (Admitted to starting console wars, demodded)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
“Nobody” questioned it then because it was Sony that was ahead and that’s what this forum wants. I’m sure many Microsoft fanboys absolutely did question it and played all the PR talk that ms were spouting to try and downplay it, like power of the cloud and “we make direct x”.

they were wrong then and the ps fanboys are wrong now. 2TF is a *massive* amount of power, and it doesn’t matter that the percentage difference is smaller when the raw power difference is that big.

So what happens if we don't "SEE" this "MASSIVE" amount of power difference between the games on PS5 and XSX? What would you say is happening?

Hezekiah

Banned
If people actually believe that the XSX is going to be cheaper than the PS5, they got a big surprise coming. The XSS exists for a reason. And it's not because MS is going price the XSX at $349-$399. The best case scenario is that MS matches the price of the PS5 Disk edition, which I'm guessing will be $449-$499. Personally, I think it will be $50-$100 more expensive.
For ages some people have tapped into this idea that Microsoft will eat billions because they're a $1.5 trillion company. In reality the only times they have thrown away billions are:

1. On the original Xbox when Microsoft lost between $5bn and $7bn ending the console's life early after they signed a rubbish deal with Nvidia for its off-the-shelf GPU.
  2. In the 360 era they wrote off $1bn due to RROD.

These were both huge mistakes (rather than calculated decisions) which cost them loads of money. The only area where they have shown a willingness to throw money away is on GamePass where they are losing money on what they deem to be a loss leader.

Microsoft
From the 1990s onward the term became most often associated with Microsoft. Roger Irwin said:[10]

In 2000, Microsoft settled the lawsuit out-of-court for an undisclosed sum, which in 2009 was revealed to be $280 million

=============================

It is certainly cheaper, and there is no risk of paying 280M, to use organized fanboys.

Just release the leak on your own website, RDNA1, without RT, 8TF, 36CUs and leave the rest to your fanboys.

You're being ridiculous. Github isn't "their" website in a way where they have access to all 3rd-party content hosted there. You do realize if they did such, like with the spec leaks, they would be open to a lawsuit by both Sony and AMD?

This is nothing more than a fanboy conspiracy theory. Both Microsoft and Sony have shares in a LOT of different companies, including service-based ones like Github. Stop thinking everything you see as a negative against one brand to be intentional sabotage by their competitor. If you want to blame anyone for the spec leaks, blame the AMD employee who didn't secure their folder contents.

Shi11

Banned
You're right...

Here's a fun blind test, lets label these, I bet everyone will have a hard time telling which is which

8TP7gD7.png

dont mean to be an ass, but it's very easy to see which one is the xbx. Blurriness is noticeable straight away.

demigod

So I heard that he was part of xbox discord, anyone have a link?

I see that he got demoted as a mod on ree, how embarrassing.

Quite funny how people think the PS5 will be weaker and more expensive. Bloomberg estimated the PS5 to be $450 and zhuge estimated the XSX to be$450+. You are delusional if you think MS is willing to lose way more than Sony per console. The price of the One and One X should tell you this. Also with them and xbox fans keep reiterating its all about Game Pass now and not about hardware sales, why should they lose even more money? Use your brains.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Playstation brand was too strong, so it was impossible to dethrone it right away, however xbox classic won with nintendo (gamecube) and sega (dreamcast).

MS build stronger console this time around but software wise they just cant compete with Sony exclusives. Sony will have Horizon 2, Demon Souls Remake, Ratchet and Clank, Spider Man, but there are no real exlusives that would convince people to buy XSX instead of upgrading their PC, and not to mention MS console exclusives will either disappoint (halo infinite), or launch few years from now. I'm afraid XSX can be the last xbox console from MS.
You're under the assumption Sony is untouchable in the game space. They aren't. XGS has devs that give Sony studios a run for their money and there are more coming. Sony are not untouchable.

More than likely next gen, Sony will have major competition on: 1) Price. 2) Gamepass. 3) Game streaming. 4) Software.

Clearly Microsoft has made heavy investments on the gaming side. And they aren't trying to rush games out the door anymore - just look at Halo Infinite. Sony has stiff competition coming next gen. And that probably explains why their buying a bunch of 3rd party exclusives. They obviously feel threatened by Microsoft.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So I heard that he was part of xbox discord, anyone have a link?

I see that he got demoted as a mod on ree, how embarrassing.

Quite funny how people think the PS5 will be weaker and more expensive. Bloomberg estimated the PS5 to be $450 and zhuge estimated the XSX to be$450+. You are delusional if you think MS is willing to lose way more than Sony per console. The price of the One and One X should tell you this. Also with them and xbox fans keep reiterating its all about Game Pass now and not about hardware sales, why should they lose even more money? Use your brains.
Also, the entire point of Lockhart is to undercut the PS5. If the XSX is $399 then Lockhart would be undercutting the XSX. It makes zero sense.

Kamina

Golden Boy
You’re mistaken in thinking that Halo is a next gen game though. It’s not. Your entire argument falls down right there.

The only other Xbox first party games that will be cross gen we’re already in development as XB1 games, so upgrading them to Series X isn’t holding anything back, let alone native Series X games.

Fable is a Series X exclusive. How will a console that it’s not releasing on hold it back? Same with Forza and Everwild.
So you mean MS didnt mean to market Halo as Next Gen title?
And lol @Fable, a game that doesnt even exist yet. Obviously it wont hold XSX back, if it isnt also being released in current gen.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Get your popcorn ready for that Assassins Creed Valhalla comparison video.

The devs have aleady said they are both 4k30, so hardly a feast...

I guess we will get our microscopes out and stare at the puddles for a reflection that is not perfectly aligned to the light source and then the fanboys can go silly, its got more rays....I can tell....

And XSX will probably have slower loads, maybe some halo type pop in....if the velocity architectire is ready and not just hot air.

Poppy Puddlegate - exciting.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
Yawn the 1 game that had a benefit and a faulty upscale on ps4 pro. You keep believing.

Yawn? get some sleep, and when you wake up and smell the coffee, realize that X1X won pretty much every face-off, except a minor few/ As a refresh console with developers still focusing on XBO and PS4, you can't expect every developer to fully take advantage of the hardware, but as the base consoles for next gen, that will be a certainty just like XBO and PS4.

NickFire

So what happens if we don't "SEE" this "MASSIVE" amount of power difference between the games on PS5 and XSX? What would you say is happening?
We will never see anything significant for non-pixel counters IMO. There will never be an actual game that X can handle and PS5 cannot. The Series S is real, confirmed by controller retail packaging. That means without a doubt that every game that runs on X will be designed for a much weaker machine even if the devs abandon the One. No doubt some 4k resolutions will end up checker boarded on PS5, but they will ultimately look and play just fine for 99% of gamers. You, me, and everyone who is not wishful thinking knows that Series S is the target specs for next gen, because MS cannot afford to have a game ship that runs on X and does not on S.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
The devs have aleady said they are both 4k30, so hardly a feast...

I guess we will get our microscopes out and stare at the puddles for a reflection that is not perfectly aligned to the light source and then the fanboys can go silly, its got more rays....I can tell....

And XSX will probably have slower loads, maybe some halo type pop in....if the velocity architectire is ready and not just hot air.

Poppy Puddlegate - exciting.

There are things you aren't taking into consideration like performance drops. Which VRR cannot address on a 30fps game even if you own a HDMI 2.1 TV

Last edited:

geordiemp

Yawn? get some sleep, and when you wake up and smell the coffee, realize that X1X won pretty much every face-off, except a minor few/ As a refresh console with developers still focusing on XBO and PS4, you can't expect every developer to fully take advantage of the hardware, but as the base consoles for next gen, that will be a certainty just like XBO and PS4.

XSX had 50 % more TF, and about same extra bandwidth, and was a full year later - too late for last gen IMO.

So what ? We are down to 15 % now, and Ps5 has more customistaion going by all the Geometry engine patents - lets see what shakes out.

hyperbertha

Dusk Golem: Xbox is more powerful than ps5.

Craig: He's lying guys. They couldn't make me look beutiful without Raytracings. I'm being held back by Xbox Done and SeriesS.

Who to believe ?
D70XJT7.png

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
They will both be dynamic anyway, and both can do 4k comfortably, it will be the ray tracing and effects, LODs and loading slight details which nobody will give a shit about.

Just keep hoping eh ? :messenger_beaming:

Who told you they would use a dynamic resolution scaler?

Who told you they would use a dynamic resolution scaler?

Are you saying that dynamic resolution won't be used with any XSX game?

If I'm not wrong Halo Infinite was said to run "up to 4K" so It is indeed possible on the XSX.

My opinion, both systems will use lower resolutions or dynamic resolutions and even upscaling techniques when they can't hit a Native 4K. My prediction is that the XSX will have more Native 4K games than the PS5 however not all games will be Native 4K on the system.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Are you saying that dynamic resolution won't be used with any XSX game?

If I'm not wrong Halo Infinite was said to run "up to 4K" so It is indeed possible on the XSX.

My opinion, both systems will use lower resolutions or dynamic resolutions and even upscaling techniques when they can't hit a Native 4K. My prediction is that the XSX will have more Native 4K games than the PS5 however not all games will be Native 4K on the system.

I'm specifically referring to Valhalla. I don't recall them saying "up to 4K".

Does this mean that games running on PC using DLSS2.0 also considered Fake 4K?!?! Confirmed, Series X is only true Native 4K machine!

Deto

Banned
Let's talk about theoretical numbers and forget this reality:

S9qqiuf.jpg

K3Lgesc.jpg

=============================================

I have to thank this idiot from Dusk for "changing a narrative"

Very good to keep MS comfortable "because we have the power, games don't matter, did you see on the internet that everyone talks about power and not GAMES?"

12TF >>>>>> GAMES

thank you golem dusk.

MS:

did you see how nobody talks about the shit pile of Xbox games? nobody complains about:

- CG fake without date
- Halo trash gameplay
- postponement without a new Halo date
- xbox without exclusives in 2020, 2021 and 2022.

Everyone is talking about the magical power of TF ... all that matters is TF, even without games to show the power.

MS: "We are right, nobody cares about games, but they do call TF and talk shit about PS5 on the internet. Our fans don't care about 2 years without exclusives, they are more interested in talking shit about PS5 on the internet"

This is the feedback that MS is now reading on the internet, thanks to you dusk golem, dumb clown.

Vcvexmd.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, I get that the PS5 SSD will enable virtually instant loading of the next parts of an open world game. However, how does that help get 4K/60fps on other games?

Ok, I get that the PS5 SSD will enable virtually instant loading of the next parts of an open world game. However, how does that help get 4K/60fps on other games?

A straw man fallacy occurs when someone takes another person's argument or point, distorts it or exaggerates it in some kind of extreme way, and then attacks the extreme distortion, as if that is really the claim the first person is making.

geordiemp

Strawman...however, everytging helps...

You have 16 ms to do everything you need within that frame, that includes time spent on CPU, logic, GPU, caches, SSD loading into memory for streaming data, audio, EVERYTHING.

One botteneck holding up RAM can slow down you budget to do other things....its not as simple as GPU is graphics power especially on a common RAM system

Everything has a time taken that adds up, the RAM is common, go figure it out....

When CPU is doing things in RAM, GPU is not, when SSD is streaming an asset needed into RAM, GPU could be waiting....its called a GPU stall.

Add up those cycles....pipelines...

Last edited:

I think your misunderstanding what the SSD does wrong. It's not going to magically increase framerate or resolution it will allow the system to load in assets more quickly. Which can allow it to load in higher quality assets. If it can't load those assets fast enough it has to lower smaller assets which can potentially lead to a decrease in the quality of assets displayed.

HaloVRS2.jpg

This won't necessarily increase framerate and resolution but it can help with the quality of the assets displayed.

I've used this image to show that while you can get something at Native 4K 60FPs the quality of the assets can be lower than that. Just as an example and not to trash Halo Infinite or anything.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
You're right...

Here's a fun blind test, lets label these, I bet everyone will have a hard time telling which is which

8TP7gD7.png

Yeah, it's really hard to tell the blurry mess with the Vaseline filter on the right is the PS4 Pro. :ROFLMAO:

Edit: totally wrong post got quoted for some reason, Sorry.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
You're being ridiculous. Github isn't "their" website in a way where they have access to all 3rd-party content hosted there. You do realize if they did such, like with the spec leaks, they would be open to a lawsuit by both Sony and AMD?

This is nothing more than a fanboy conspiracy theory. Both Microsoft and Sony have shares in a LOT of different companies, including service-based ones like Github. Stop thinking everything you see as a negative against one brand to be intentional sabotage by their competitor. If you want to blame anyone for the spec leaks, blame the AMD employee who didn't secure their folder contents.

I am so tired of the Sony fans always crying about their ridiculous conspiracy theories; Digital Foundry, Dusk Golem, Xbox fans all paid shills, GitHub, FUD, FUD everywhere, Jeff Grub, Xbox Discord, Tom Warren and on and on and on. The whole world is plotting against poor Mother Sony.

Here is a website I think Sony fans would enjoy:
th

Typical Sony fan

MrFunSocks

Banned
So you mean MS didnt mean to market Halo as Next Gen title?
And lol @Fable, a game that doesnt even exist yet. Obviously it wont hold XSX back, if it isnt also being released in current gen.
It doesn’t matter what PR and marketing say, if you’re and adult you should know better than to blindly believe that lol. The game has been in development as an Xbox one title for 5 years lol. It’s an Xbox one game.

Ok so you completely missed the entire point of the fable example lol. Whoosh. Maybe go ask an adult to explain it to you.

Kamina

Golden Boy
It doesn’t matter what PR and marketing say, if you’re and adult you should know better than to blindly believe that lol. The game has been in development as an Xbox one title for 5 years lol. It’s an Xbox one game.

Ok so you completely missed the entire point of the fable example lol. Whoosh. Maybe go ask an adult to explain it to you.
Lol yeah that looked like 5 years allright.

Ah and there we have it. Fanboy lacks good arguments and resorts to petty insults.
Continue down that path and you’ll get what you deserve.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Lol yeah that looked like 5 years allright.

Ah and there we have it. Fanboy lacks good arguments and resorts to petty insults.
Continue down that path and you’ll get what you deserve.
60fps open world game on the current gen. Can you name another one like that? Do you understand why 60fps means graphical compromises have to be made, and even bigger ones in open worlds?

Fable was used as an example of a game not being cross gen, since the narrative the last few days on here has been that MS are forcing EVERY GAME THIS UPCOMING GENERATION to have an Xbox one version.

Kamina

Golden Boy
60fps open world game on the current gen. Can you name another one like that? Do you understand why 60fps means graphical compromises have to be made, and even bigger ones in open worlds?

Fable was used as an example of a game not being cross gen, since the narrative the last few days on here has been that MS are forcing EVERY GAME THIS UPCOMING GENERATION to have an Xbox one version.
Wow at that FPS with graphics that look like early current gen.
Fable was not an example for anything because it was just a CGI video. The game doesn't exist yet.
Nobody said they will force every game into cross gen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom