• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2014 | Gametrailers and SpikeTV All Acess Live discussion thread

Kinsei

Banned
My rating for the Sony conference: 5/10

+ Entwined
+ Grim Fandango
+ No Man's Sky
+ Far Cry 4 gameplay

+/- Suda 51 game (His games have been hit or miss for me)

- The Order
- Little Big Planet 3
- Bloodborne being leaked
- Infamous Second Son DLC
- Giant Squid's new game
- Dead Island 2
- Mortal Kombat X being revealed before the conference
- Bringing up Vib Ribbon without announcing the revival of a classic Sony IP
- A TV show. This is not the venue for that.
- The Ratchet movie. This is not the venue for that
- Ratchet PS4. Why???
- Last of Us remastered. They should have just said it was coming from the start instead of tricking people into double dipping.
- MGSV trailer being leaked
- Quiet. Yes, she needs her own negative point. What the fuck is up with that outfit if she's going to be engaging in CQC?
- GTA V Remaster for the same reason as TLoU PS4.
- Arkham Knight gameplay. They really don't know what made Asylum so great, do they?
- Uncharted 4

This entire E3 has been a fucking train wreck so far. I feel bad for people who went to see this conference in theatres.

SpyGuy239

My rating for the Sony conference: 5/10

+ Entwined
+ Grim Fandango
+ No Man's Sky
+ Far Cry 4 gameplay

+/- Suda 51 game (His games have been hit or miss for me)

- The Order
- Little Big Planet 3
- Bloodborne being leaked
- Infamous Second Son DLC
- Giant Squid's new game
- Dead Island 2
- Mortal Kombat X being revealed before the conference
- Bringing up Vib Ribbon without announcing the revival of a classic Sony IP
- A TV show. This is not the venue for that.
- The Ratchet movie. This is not the venue for that
- Ratchet PS4. Why???
- Last of Us remastered. They should have just said it was coming from the start instead of tricking people into double dipping.
- MGSV trailer being leaked
- Quiet. Yes, she needs her own negative point. What the fuck is up with that outfit if she's going to be engaging in CQC?
- GTA V Remaster for the same reason as TLoU PS4.
- Arkham Knight gameplay. They really don't know what made Asylum so great, do they?
- Uncharted 4

This entire E3 has been a fucking train wreck so far. I feel bad for people who went to see this conference in theatres.

What? no way! Sony conference was definitely A+ and I don't even own a PS4!

So many solid showings of games.

The PSTV was boring though, as was Destiny.

Kinsei

Banned
What? no way! Sony conference was definitely A+ and I don't even own a PS4!

So many solid showings of games.

The PSTV was boring though, as was Destiny.

Good for you if you liked those games, but to me they all looked like shit, or I knew they were coming so I didn't care (Bloodborne). The Vib Ribbon tease also pissed me off, but at least it wasn't as bad as the fuck you MS pulled.

SpyGuy239

Good for you if you liked those games, but to me they all looked like shit, or I knew they were coming so I didn't care (Bloodborne). The Vib Ribbon tease also pissed me off, but at least it wasn't as bad as the fuck you MS pulled.

Fair enough. To be honest the A+ was mostly because the showings from all the other conferences weren't that great to begin with do the bar wasn't set very high!

I did really enjoy the CoD Advanced Warfare that Microsoft showed off though.What did MS pull?

Also BLOODY EA CONCEPT CONFERENCE 2014. Hardline PC Beta was only saving grace.

Kinsei

Banned
Fair enough. To be honest the A+ was mostly because the showings from all the other conferences weren't that great to begin with do the bar wasn't set very high!

I did really enjoy the CoD Advanced Warfare that Microsoft showed off though.What did MS pull?

Also BLOODY EA CONCEPT CONFERENCE 2014. Hardline PC Beta was only saving grace.

The Conker thing. Y'know when they said fuck you, make your own game.

TsuWave

you know people that played it already can just not buy it right?

i don't understand the "tricking people into double dipping" thing you got going on there.

What a bizarre, uneven conference. First hour was great, second hour had higher highs mixed with meandering TV bullshit. B+ for style and at least a lot of games, I guess.

Highlight was that poor No Man's Sky guy overwhelmed on stage.

SeanTSC

Sony gets an A+ for me. They showed plenty of actual new stuff unlike the other conferences. Most of the other conference's reveals were already leaked and Microsoft didn't even remotely convince me to buy an Xbone. Microsoft showed a bunch of third party games that will be better on the PS4 and a couple first party games that I have little to no interest in. Sony also showed tons of gameplay and it felt like the others showed a lot of CG in comparison.

twospoons

Banned
Sony gets an A+ for me. They showed plenty of actual new stuff unlike the other conferences. Most of the other conference's reveals were already leaked and Microsoft didn't even remotely convince me to buy an Xbone. Microsoft showed a bunch of third party games that will be better on the PS4 and a couple first party games that I have little to no interest in. Sony also showed tons of gameplay and it felt like the others showed a lot of CG in comparison.

I felt exactly the opposite. Strange universe uh?

For those of you that didn't like Sony's conference i don't know what the fuck you expected.. they brought us surprises, exclusives, new ip, dlc and first looks.. i knew i picked the right console and we still have many first party titles that are still under wraps.

Santa Monica Studio/God of War
Guerrilla games new IP
Next gen Gran Turismo
Last of Us 2 (possibly)

am i missing anything?

A+ score for Sony.

starmud

is GT streaming the next two days like usual? kinda surprised they have no notice of it anywhere.

would be the first time in some odd years where they didn't stream day 1 of the show.

So they aren't doing anything tomorrow? No Nintendo at all?
Looks like they're doing a Nintendo Power Hour tomorrow. I think they're also streaming the digital event.

Edit: Not sure if they're streaming the Digital event. All other sites are though.

Linkyn

I'd like to apologise in advance for the wall, but I had to get my thoughts on today together, and now that it's all written down, I might as well share. This first day of Pre-E3 has definitely been very insightful. It's a shame that the remainder of 2014 will most likely be dominated by third party titles, but at least there are some among them that have me genuinely excited. Out of the games shown today, I am genuinely looking forward to:

+ Inside
+ Ori and the Blind Forest
+ The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
+ Rise of the Tomb Raider (despite the title)
+ Dragon Age: Inquisition (not because of today)
+ Star Wars: Battlefront (some more information would have been nice)
+ Assassin's Creed Unity (but a little concerned about the co-op)
+ Far Cry 4 (again concerned about the co-op)
+ Valiant Hearts: The Great War
+ No Man's Sky
+ Abzû
+ Uncharted 4 (I suspect this is going to make me cave and buy a PS4 (just like Among Thieves did for the PS3))

while I'm somewhat interested in

* Tom Clancy's The Division (same concerns as for AC and FC, but much stronger)
* The Order: 1886 (I feel like I would probably be a lot more excited if I already owned a PS4)
* Mortal Kombat X (I liked 9, but need more actual gameplay to be sold)

Overall, I'm happy with the pickings. With what Nintendo is likely planning for the rest of the year, 2014 is looking to be sufficiently filled for me, while at the same time not putting too heavy a strain on my funds and leaving ample time for my studies. As for 2015, there is a lot more going on, and I'll probably have to catch up with some games I've missed since last November eventually.

In regard to the conferences, EA was definitely a big letdown. As usual, most of their lineup left me utterly unimpressed (which, admittedly, is largely due to my genre preferences) and what few of their games I am excited for won me over long before the show this year. While the developer insights were interesting, there was ultimately a striking lack of content.

Microsoft was a lot better than last year, but most of the games they've shown don't particularly interest me (for the same reasons as in the case of EA). The conference has not particularly convinced me to buy an XBox One, rather making me curse because of timed or absolute exlusivity (though how much of that also affects the PC remains to be seen). However, I do have to admit that I'm not entirely unbiased when it comes to them.

Ubisoft's conference was decent, if not as good as their last few showings. They definitely again have some of the best games so far this year, but I wish they'd spend a little less time on awkward presentations (entertaining as they may have been). Also, I'm not completely sold on their primary titles.

Lastly, Sony had a genuinely good briefing. They started off well and kept up the pace with a vast range of great (if perhaps predictable) announcements and reveals and finished off with the reveal of UC 4 (one of my personal darlings). In fact, I would probably characterise their conference as amazing, had it not been for Layden's unfortunate intermezzo.

In summary (and TL:DR), not adhering to letter grades (because, frankly, I am utterly unfamiliar with them):

Microsoft: 5/10
EA: 3/10
Ubisoft: 6/10
Sony: 7/10

Thank god for E3 recap videos. Now I don't have to sit through hours of footage of game developers awkwardly standing on stage not knowing what to do with their hands.

Top Bottom