• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA cancelled Mandalorian game due to Disney increasing the licensing fee (Rumor)

Star Wars centric channel Star Wars Theory just put out a video where he reveals the reason why the Mandalorian game got cancelled. He says:
"Bob Iger announced that all yet to be released games would see an increase of 11% to the previously negotiated 22% from the [existing] contracts and new contracts to come in." he also adds "Epic Games would be the only one to have a 0% licensing fee", presumably due to Disney recently investing 1.5 billion dollars in Epic.

That base rate seems like a lot, and 33% seems crazy.
How large was the cut for those Insomniac games?
I think it was something like 10% for physical games, 20% for digital sales and the fee would increase the more the games sell.

EDIT

Found this:

WmKVxbZ.jpeg

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Can theoretically make a game with no royalties to pay. The only one that can do so with Disney’s IPs. I suspect this will backfire.
Like you said, even if they were to do so it would be so far down the line that any Star Wars game currently in advanced stages of development would be long released by then. I don't understand how applying this to games already in the pipeline benefits anyone.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Disney got way too greedy basically. I can’t think of anything else as this is immensely dumb.
So they're doing this to protect their investment in Epic?
That would be exactly like when they bought Star Wars for 4 billion then panicked and sabotaged their investment.

And as others have said, might imply that Sony was being fucked over too, in the process.
Nintendo stays winning by partnering with Universal.

Last edited:
Wouldn't an agreement already be in place before they even started developing the project?
I wonder how this works. I assume IP rights float on popularity.
If the popularity of an IP dwindles during production you could ask that the amount you paid for the IP decreases and vice versa.
I could state that an IP now is worth more and you now have to pay more? I need to hear from those who buy IP rights.

00_Zer0

Disney can go fuck themselves.They are not worth the rates they charge. If the developer who makes these licensed games wastes years on the Disney property only to fail, then it fucks over a good studio who can make their own IP. I wouldn't blame Sony, EA or any other company bowing out over the dumpster fire that is Disney. Epic will soon find out what a waste of money Disney is and will probably have to layoff a shit ton of people after the Epic/Disney venture fails.

TransTrender

Gold Member
One hundred, BILLION dollars.
LOL it doesn't seem that far off

$621 million in total upfront costs for Insomniac if they opt for 4 titles in this agreement.
Then the cut from digital, physical, and bundle sales:
0fH0hn4.jpg

Looking at past performance only SpiderMan 1 and Miles Morales had +100% ROI, while SM2 is still TBD but less than 100%, and SM3 along with Wolverine are TARGETING 75% and 40% respectively. Unless there's some real magic here, which I doubt due to current timeline, then they're probably fucked.
VpeEDip.jpg

Last edited:

FMX

With their movies flopping lately they got to get that money somehow. So, did the rates change after the initial contracts were signed?

Fbh

Wouldn't an agreement already be in place before they even started developing the project?

Yeah this smells like BS.
I'd buy something like "EA scraps plans for future Star Wars games as Disney increases royalties". But I imagine any game under active development would already have a contract in place that they can't just change.

Between what we've heard from Disney and Larian needing to pay $100 million to use D&D its like these companies don't actually want games in their franchises.

Sadly known IP sells. People love nothing more than franchises they are familiar with.
The royalty fee we learned from the Insomniac leak is pretty crazy, but at the same time Insomniac games didn't use to be strong sellers before Spider Man.

I wish Lucasarts was still around making GOTY games
When LucasArts was actually making Star Wars games they were really hit and miss, most of the best Star Wars games of the LucasArts era were either outsourced entirely or co-developed. Imo only a handful of fully in-house LucasArts games were actually good, and by the end of LucasArts they couldn't shit out a game to save their lives having cancelled something like 5 games in a row.

StereoVsn

So if a third party wants to make a licenced game on a licenced engine, will give 33% to disney, 30% to platform holder and another ~20% for the engine.
Better sell feet pictures online.
It is kind of insane if you think about it. Although I think Unreal is more like 5-10% vs 20%, general idea is still the same.

For Disney in particular is the aim to stop 3rd parties form making console and PC games I wonder so only Epic does the work?

I just can’t see that working out well.

Top Bottom