• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earthworm Jim

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Was going to be buying Earthworm Jim 1 & 2 but which system should I get it on the Snes or the Genny? Differences? Thanks in advance! 0_o

I haven't played the Genesis versions for years, but I still own and occasionally play Earthworm Jim 2. Hard as hell, but the graphics really hold up well, and the game has a personality like no other. I can't recall any signifigant differences; get whatever's cheapest :).

...EW JIm 2's theme song is stuck in my head now ... and the talking cow at the end of each level lolz ... and the great 50s-esque theme for the cow rescue mission with martians ... great game, though not as fresh as the first.

BuddyC

The definitive editions of the Earthworm Jim games are as follows:

Earthworm Jim: Special Edition - Sega CD
Earthworm Jim 2 - Saturn

EWJ:SE on Sega CD has some exclusive levels, not to meniton the privelege of being the most technically superior console version of the game. Highest quality sound, more animation, all that nifty stuff. Whee.

The same pretty much goes for the Saturn version of EWJ2, except that doesn't have any exclusive content. So more vibrant colors, better sound, and possibly a higher resolution.

But if you're just trying to choose between SNES and GEN, just go with whatever's cheapest. Or whatever controller you like more.

DarkCloud

Doesn't the PC version of Earthworm Jim have all the extras from the Sega CD version as well as improved load times?

Genesis version of EWJ1 has a level not found in the SNES version, but the SNES has slightly better music and graphics (I still remember being amazed the first time I saw the lens flare on the first level). EWJ2.. Doesn't really matter, the game's about the same on both.

lexy

I could have sworn I read somewhere that Tommy Tallarico did the music in the Earthworm Jim games. Is there any truth to this?

BuddyC

DarkCloud said:
Doesn't the PC version of Earthworm Jim have all the extras from the Sega CD version as well as improved load times?
It may. The question is which version, as there were at least two I can think of off the top of my head. And one of those, a bundle of Earthworm Jim 1 & 2 called The Whole Can O' Worms, didn't even include the complete version of EWJ2. Several levels were missing, promised in a patch that never came :(

DarkCloud

Hmm...I have the stand alone version of Earthworm Jim for PC but I suck at the series so I'm only going by what I recall from the adverts that prompted me to buy it years ago. I may fire it up later and see. The special stage was some weird chase level if I recall involving toilet warps and a giant monster that is mostly mouth after your ass.

Man I can't tell you how much I liked Earthworm Jim! It's strange to think that the same people who developed Enter the Matrix, made the classic Earthworm Jim games.

stewy

Man, Earthworm Jim was so great. The only thing I didn't dig about it was that I finished it the same night I bought it.

Yeah, if the PC version of EWJ is the same as the Sega CD one only with better graphics, I'd say that has to be the best version, then.

And if you do get the PC or SCD version, finish the game on easy for a pretty funny, alternate ending.

And if you're still intent on deciding between the SNES version and the Genesis version, go with the Genesis version. It has better animation, more sounds and voice samples, and an extra level.

Top Bottom