• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Sony and Microsoft create a joint next gen console?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Lebron James Sport GIF by NBA

XXL

Imagine thinking Playstation would want to do this...
If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

Weekend threads never fail, ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLW

laynelane

Why are people trying to lump Sony in with everything Xbox is doing?

Why must this always happen? Shades of always online DRM again, only for Sony to release the briefest of clap-backs that shut everyone up and drove the nail in the coffin.

Sony have their problems, but those are very different problems to the one Xbox is facing right now.

Agreed on all points. The Sonytoo rhetoric is beyond tedious at this point, as well. Of course, it doesn't help when Phil just cannot resist warring at every opportunity.

let me put it in this way:

Would you like to have a muscular, good-looking 'handyman' living in the same house as you and your wife to help with household chores?"

Iced Arcade

but why would they do that?

besides minor things and PR BS fluff, xbox and PS are pretty much the same machines and they will likely continue that if they both go AMD

That will eliminate literally all console competition. Nah, I’ll pass. The last this already money-hungry industry needs is a monopoly.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
The 30% Store Cut is what drives ALL of the exclusives from MS, Sony, and Nintendo.

The only way Microsoft or Sony would share a unified console vision is if:

1) That goes away

Or

2) They can come to some form of "agreement" like the Blu-Ray adoption had with a fixed split of proceeds from every game sold. Something like: Sony gets 20%, Microsoft gets 10% (but this is trending even more in Sony's favor with time). And getting them to agree on anything seems...doubtful at best.

Fredrik

Build a living room PC and that is what you’ll get now that both platforms release their games on PC.

Why are people trying to lump Sony in with everything Xbox is doing?

Why must this always happen? Shades of always online DRM again, only for Sony to release the briefest of clap-backs that shut everyone up and drove the nail in the coffin.

Sony have their problems, but those are very different problems to the one Xbox is facing right now.

It's annoying AF if I'm being honest, but then you see Phil Spencer basically do that himself in a 'Business Update' where he laments Xbox's problems as being the industry's problems. No Phil, your console is the one declining severely in sales due to factors unique and exclusive to the business model you've failed to successfully push for it. That's not a Sony or Nintendo problem, so stop trying to hide behind those two.

When a CEO of a platform is doing that, of course regular gamers and such would pick up the habit and do the same. But it's also because other platform holders like Sony don't have a higher-up as regularly public and wanting to run their mouth all the time like Phil Spencer does. Not saying I'd want them to have that type of person (because a lot of the people who talk about Phil sound like cult members), but I sure wouldn't mind having Kevin Butler back.

Not as much a big deal for Nintendo because Microsoft aren't constantly trying to have a go at them with public statements. At least, not yet.

Last edited:

ElRenoRaven

I mean since the money to be made is with games why not go in and build a technological advanced system where the loss is split between the 2. This thing could be cutting edge.
It would never happen but I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Allandor

Well, from a consumer perspective this would be wonderful. More so if the console would be bc with all those boxes and PlayStations.

But this won't happen. I can see Ms going in the direction of a PC box produced by other companies, but those rumors are also as old as the Xbox.

Allandor

No
Super No
Hyper No
Mega No

MS will stick their stupid fingers where they don’t belong and fuck everything up. They have nothing to offer creatively.
Well the market needs competition. We already witnessed an arrogant Sony without real competition.
Occasionally Sony also tries to sell bullshit (Sd cards for better mp3 Playback, trojan on board of CDs that installs automatically before the bootloader, ps3 starting price (get a second job), ...).
Don't be to loyal to a company, they all only want your best (money).

Problem with Ms is also, they are really bad at communication. Really bad marketing outside of the us, and yes sometimes it seems games get rushed out by them without quality control.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Sure.... But... What exactly would MS do in the partnership that Sony can't do themselves?

Design? Hardware? OS? APIs? SDK/tools? Games?

Looking at PS5 vs XSX sucess , the only use for MS would be to subsidize the console at launch...

StueyDuck

Banned
while it will never happen in a million years and is ridiculous, it would be an interesting alternate reality where MS and Sony partner up to take on Nintendo who then partners up with Sega making it some crazy battle royale.

Last edited:

DJ12

Yes they totally should. Sony design a console that costs 700 or more, ms pays the excess so customers only pay 499.

Sony reduce fees ms pays on sales to 20% not 30%

Top Bottom