• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge review scores issues #379(GoW:R, Pentiment, Sonic, CoD:MW2, Gotham Knights, etc.)

GHG

There's an entire context surrounding it. Pentiment is a unique proposition.

It's not, there are hundreds of games like this on PC, dozens of which get released every year.

People need to broaden their horizons. If someone has been gaming multiple years and this is their first encounter with a game of this type then they only have themselves to blame.

By that logic anything that's not action oriented gameplay is not traditional gameplay? So anything where you solve puzzles isn't traditional gameplay? I'll stand by what I said, that's a weird take. I'd consider puzzle solving, be it through inventory puzzles or dialogue puzzles, traditional gameplay.

Based on the most popular games at the moment no, what you describe is not considered "traditional gameplay". The most played games today require constant input from the player side.

Let me just say this. The "muh gameplay" crowd whom I was referring to in my very first post of our exchange do not consider games like Pentiment to have any gameplay.

Topher

Gold Member
The data doesn’t support this. Edge gave TLOU 2 and Uncharted 4 9/10 scores. Spiderman was 8/10. Demon Souls - 9/10

I clarified later....

I started googling past review scores for Edge and seems they give low review scores for most games. I mean low as in a bit lower than metacritic typically. So I'm probably wrong in making it about PlayStation.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Can't WAIT for Hellblade 2's cinematic aventure!
All I said on the Hellblade 2 reveal was that it looked cool visually but looks like a movie and I need to see gameplay. That's it. I couldn't complete the first one because I didn't like it.

You got me! I'll give Hellblade 2 a chance since it's free for me. Hopefully I like it. At the very least it looks dark and edgy, so maybe the story does something interesting. We'll see.

I see the similarity but I do think it's possible to like one and not the other. One looks more like Thor Ragnarok, and the other looks more like The Northener. We'll have to see what Hellblade is like but they aren't identical.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
All I said on the Hellblade 2 reveal was that it looked cool visually but looks like a movie and I need to see gameplay. That's it. I couldn't complete the first one because I didn't like it.

You got me! I'll give Hellblade 2 a chance since it's free for me. Hopefully I like it. At the very least it looks dark and edgy, so maybe the story does something interesting. We'll see.
You're level headed, not like the loud clowns on here. My thoughts on it mirror yours. And you know what I meant by that comment.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Man you can't just call out SLB1904 SLB1904 like that :messenger_grimmacing_
Suspicious Buffy The Vampire Slayer GIF

Belthazar

Why do they get their own thread?

Edge is one or the very few gaming outlets that are only available monthly by purchase, which is a practically dead format at this point. So, not only their reviews come only once a month (far after the review discussion for each game having died), but they also have an editorial directive that's quite different than other outlets, often giving lower scores to widely popular and well liked games.

Some like to argue that they just use the entire scale of scores instead of a minimum of 7 if the game is playable (like other outlets), others say that the lower scores to otherwise critically acclaimed games is basically how they manage to keep themselves somewhat relevant... As another 9-10 to Ragnarok almost a month after release wouldn't generate much discussion, but a 7 definitely will. As for me? I think it's a bit of both.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Pentiment is not a stale cinematic blockbuster game trying so hard to be a hollywood movie. It's more like a visual novel from what I'm reading where you can change how the story develops based on choices you make. Not everyone likes nuGoW, cry about it.
Games have been doing this for years.

They're not trying to be a Hollywood movie, they're trying to tell a story. The difference between low-budget and high-budget games is low-budget games don't have the budget so they settle for a lot of dialog scenes when it comes to those "cinematic experiences."

There's no need to pretend that people use these terms just to bash Sony games, and it's obvious because they refuse to hold the same standards when it comes to games that are available on their own platform.

I think it would immensely help Edge’s image to have more video content where people like myself can get to know their personalities a bit better, so that we can understand how their reviews end up so vastly different than everyone else most of the time.

I remember when Jeff Gerstmann would give review scores against the grain(Twilight Princess, Kane and Lynch 2), but once he started to evolve with video formats and podcast formats, people started to understand his point of view much better which led to understanding the logic behind his review scores better.

Edge still feels like this distant monolith of shadowy figures who come across as chaotic neutral.

shiru

Banned
Games have been doing this for years.

They're not trying to be a Hollywood movie, they're trying to tell a story. The difference between low-budget and high-budget games is low-budget games don't have the budget so they settle for a lot of dialog scenes when it comes to those "cinematic experiences."

There's no need to pretend that people use these terms just to bash Sony games, and it's obvious because they refuse to hold the same standards when it comes to games that are available on their own platform.
Semantics. I don't care what they are called, I don't like such games. Never have, on any platform. For reasons beyond having a narrative focus.

Filben

That's why scores are a mistake in any serious review. It just creates drama over a number and divert from the written word and what a game is REALLY about. A reason why I stopped reading reviews that put a number on it.

Ozriel

M$FT
Mediocre with a 94 on metacritic sold over 5mil copies in 2 days. So what does that make the xbox games release in past 20 years?

I wouldn’t go back as far as 20 years if I were you.
I don't even care about the 7 but then pentiment a 9 from everything I've seen and read. This is why I put no weight on video game journalism.

I know, right? Reading the Pentiment OT and seeing the sentiment from players, it should be a 10.

GymWolf

Im not saying its a bad game just vastly overrated.
Sure, it is not a 94, like gta4 is not a 98, rdr2 is not a 97, botw is not a 96 etc., Only console warriors care for metacritic scores, but hand holding gameplay for such an hard ass game is some fine bullshit, even for the puzzles the help from companions are just general advices, at worse we can say that the puzzles are already super easy, but puzzles are not why i buy a god of war game and combat is sublime in this one, and there is A LOT of it.

Last edited:
Fucking Christ, can't they rename the magazine to "Attention Whores Monthly" or something.

They are just doing this to try and be some sort Elitist media, but in the end, they are still just a magazine and a site.... Like dozens along with them.
Only difference is, they fail to acknowledge the fact that they are just that, mainstream media.

Nice printed toilet paper though......

ungalo

t's not, there are hundreds of games like this on PC, dozens of which get released every year.

People need to broaden their horizons. If someone has been gaming multiple years and this is their first encounter with a game of this type then they only have themselves to blame.
Like what ? Not saying the game is incredible, but it's really its own thing. Most comparisons would be hazardous (as i said it's neither a RPG nor a traditional point n click). I could be wrong though. Besides that, when i say it's unique, i also mean it's harmless. It's not a commercial project that follows specifications.

That's why i'm saying you can't just make it an argument about gameplay vs non gameplay. There are certain tropes, that pisses people off, in terms of design, narrative etc. and it's understandable i think.

You can always explain how Im wrong instead
The comparison was pretty lazy that's all. WRPG (except for very light experiences like Mass Effect or The Witcher 3) are precisely the opposite of what a Sony game is. In terms of freedom, interactions they are the most evolved games. Seeing it as a dialogue + combat experience doesn't depict the design of those games accurately. Narrative design and dialogue is blend in with the gameplay, it's not pushed on you and even less something you're just listening. It's mechanical, a tool at your disposal (just like the combats).

I'm not talking about Pentiment of course, as i said it's not a RPG.

Last edited:
Top Bottom