• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge review scores issues #379(GoW:R, Pentiment, Sonic, CoD:MW2, Gotham Knights, etc.)

Topher

Gold Member
Unless you're Stevivor.

the office jim GIF

Caio

What the hell did Sonic Frontiers do to them to deserve such a low score?
Edge is very well know to be...don't know how to say...BIASED ? I remember a lot of Threads started at the time of PS360 era. I don't like them, to say the least.

"Why don't review sites use the full 1-10 scale, why do they give 90's to every heavily marketed single player AAA game"
-Review sites uses the full 1-10 scale and doesn't give 90's to every heavily marketed single player AAA game-
Sad At Home GIF by Cuco

Essentially. Gamers want the typical AAA cinematic game to only get high review scores, or else they revolt. I think production value and success from a gameplay standpoint are one in the same for most gamers. So when a game like Pentiment, with high production but not cinematic does better than gow on a site its seen as egregious even if both accomplish their goals really well. Intended experience matters a ton, not just what you like. Vampire survivor was my favorite intended experience so far this year.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah, I only saw that after I posted.

They’re usually not generous with scores.

Not willfully stingy like PC Gamer, but still tough critics.

Stevivor also pretty decent reviewer based on what I've read on GAF :messenger_grinning_squinting:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I could tell Dench was not going to like it before he even started and the same about you. Guess why? We know all of you after awhile. We're not dumb.

Thanks for proving me right.

Checkmate hot shot. I'm actually enjoying it 25 hours in. Once I'd got through some dreadful hand holding slow talking bullshit parts.

It's now opened up and is letting me play and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I'm personally at an 8 out of ten on the game but if that upsets you so much you clearly can't take any criticism of your beloved Sony.

The games pretty decent. Just chill.

Obviously not as good as pentiment but still pretty decent... ;) ( just winding you up x)

Game Reviews fucking sucks. Imagine someone giving 6 for Dishonored 2, Yes imagine that! Seriously. Just stop playing video games ffs. Video game reviews today is fucking pointless as fuck. That's why I'm old enough to judge what games i wanna play lol

Roberts

I’m finishing Act II in Pentiment and I think it deserves the scores it gets. It is not the most exciting game in traditional sense but I would not go as far as to say it doesn’t have gameplay and is nothing more than reading a book. Limited amount of conversations per day as well as all the moral choices make your time with the game a truly gripping experience where you alone can influence the fate of characters you get to know and appreciate. It can be devastating, because you are in control (or not anymore because you fucked up along the way) where as in a book you don’t have any say at all.

Fredrik

Ragnarok can't get more than an 8 from me. I'm enjoying it but the scope is too limited these days, its really rigid and by the numbers, maybe 1 puzzle in 10 is truly interesting/challenging and combat is rote compared to the spectacle of the old games for me personally, I understand its an actual combat system rather than button mashing but i don't care. I have to accept I just prefer the old GoW game
What did you think about the previous game?
I still have much to see but for me Ragnarök is a 9 or 10. I can absolutely see things they could’ve done better but that goes for all games, there wouldn’t be any 10/10 game if everything needs to be perfect.

Astral Dog

What the hell did Sonic Frontiers do to them to deserve such a low score?
🤷🏻‍♂️ got it for $20 a couple days ago on a sale and been playing for a few hours.

It has its issues, the cyber space levels suck, but its also a fun, competent game with some solid ideas for open world Sonic

guess a 6 is the lowest i would score it, 3 just seems too harsh without solid arguments

Reactions: GHG

Banjo64

cumsessed
They just doubled down on making experiences that appeal to european gamers, hence nu-GoW. They don't like violence or jump buttons, they like SingStar and cinematic shit. Jim Ryan spoke on this years ago.
That’s why Brexit means Brexit. Make Gaming Great Again.

sainraja

The comparison was pretty lazy that's all. WRPG (except for very light experiences like Mass Effect or The Witcher 3) are precisely the opposite of what a Sony game is. In terms of freedom, interactions they are the most evolved games. Seeing it as a dialogue + combat experience doesn't depict the design of those games accurately. Narrative design and dialogue is blend in with the gameplay, it's not pushed on you and even less something you're just listening. It's mechanical, a tool at your disposal (just like the combats).
Every game has it's identifying traits (not always flattering when mentioned); the point the person you are responding to, was trying to dismiss of "Sony" games. Just as you are quick to point out how it doesn't depict the design of those games, calling a Sony game a "walking sim" or simply "cinematic" does not depict the design of those games — your WRPGs blend dialogue with gameplay, while the "Sony games" blend cinematics with gameplay. Let's also not forget, what you are now calling Sony games, are linear games, linear games that have existed long before Sony studios found success with them. As for it not being pushed on you....well that is a weird way to put it, if it is in the game and you don't want it there or it's the part that you like the least, it is "forced" on you.

gow3isben

Damn we survived that 7 from edge

Gamecritics is still on the horizon though and we are too low on the 94 rankings to survive it I fear unless we get another 100 as a buffer

Last edited:

GymWolf

Edge is the western Famitsu. Their scores “count” only when they conform with the majority score from other outlets. When that doesn’t happen, people call them clowns and you get threads like this.
Isn't famitsu famous for taking money?

Vol5

Can't say I'm massively surprised by the GoW score. It lacks the heart of the original and is extremely claustrophobic. At least in the 2018 game there was that huge area you could sail around and re-visit after the water level went down. Felt like a real journey. While not open world I liked the fact it branched off to different areas. This years GoW feels so linear in comparison. They have done the unthinkable and given you a false sense of scale when in fact it's actually a corridor brawler. Really disappointing tbh. Don't get me wrong it's a good game, just not GOTY material.

//DEVIL//

you know... I kinda like edge magazine and its review scores.

For example, the first GOW on ps4 shouldn't have got more than 7 to 8 out of 10. GOW3 was much superior to that game and still holds too even after GOW:R. so 8 out of 10 for R is a fair score.

Sonic review.. even IGN couldn't play the game very well due to its technical issues. including the fact, you can't see shit in front of you due to pop-ins. this alone to me at least breaks the game.

Good thing these reviews are just opinions and everyone is different.

Last edited:
Can't say I'm massively surprised by the GoW score. It lacks the heart of the original and is extremely claustrophobic. At least in the 2018 game there was that huge area you could sail around and re-visit after the water level went down. Felt like a real journey. While not open world I liked the fact it branched off to different areas. This years GoW feels so linear in comparison. They have done the unthinkable and given you a false sense of scale when in fact it's actually a corridor brawler. Really disappointing tbh. Don't get me wrong it's a good game, just not GOTY material.

It has a 94 on metacritic, one outlier review doesn’t make it “not GOTY” material. Both GoWR and Elden have 98% critics recommned ratings

Also, there are more open more interesting areas to explore in ragnarok than there was in 2018. I did almost no exploring in the 2018 game. The crater alone eclipses every map in 2018

Last edited:
Metacritic is the only score that matters.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
"Why don't review sites use the full 1-10 scale, why do they give 90's to every heavily marketed single player AAA game"
-Review sites uses the full 1-10 scale and doesn't give 90's to every heavily marketed single player AAA game-
Sad At Home GIF by Cuco
my problem with Edge has been the consistency. I love that they give out 7s and 8s to games like GOW and MGS4, but when they turn around and had out 9s to equally mediocre games.

Last edited:

Vol5

It has a 94 on metacritic, one outlier review doesn’t make it “not GOTY” material. Both GoWR and Elden have 98% critics recommned ratings

Also, there are more open more interesting areas to explore in ragnarok than there was in 2018. I did almost no exploring in the 2018 game. The crater alone eclipses every map in 2018

Fair enough. Was just thinking if Edge was to award this game a 9 or 10 it would re-enforce GoW for GOTY which I don't think it deserves.

Handel

Edge is the western Famitsu. Their scores “count” only when they conform with the majority score from other outlets. When that doesn’t happen, people call them clowns and you get threads like this.
Famitsu actually are clowns though who create essentially paid reviews. They're not counted on metacritic for a reason.

Oof85

It's not, there are hundreds of games like this on PC, dozens of which get released every year.

People need to broaden their horizons. If someone has been gaming multiple years and this is their first encounter with a game of this type then they only have themselves to blame.

Based on the most popular games at the moment no, what you describe is not considered "traditional gameplay". The most played games today require constant input from the player side.

Let me just say this. The "muh gameplay" crowd whom I was referring to in my very first post of our exchange do not consider games like Pentiment to have any gameplay.
You don't seem to understand that for some, games are penalized by what they're not, as much as they're celebrated for what they are.

Horizon Zero Dawn is my case in point.

Pinnacle of the Ubisoft school of open world game design, and then right afterwards, damn near on top of it came a game that was a resounding rejection of that very school of game design.

Breath of the Wild.

That was 2017 and now in 2022, you've got Ragnarok.

It's an action adventure game, where certain aspect of the traversal gameplay has no fail states.
There's other games with similar design choices and for some, this common trend has now become a flaw.

Same with the constant chattering companions, or characters who ramble to themselves.

Another design choice that for some, may have become a point of criticism.

Or whatever else someone is irked by in a game.

Reviews aren't objective, they're nicely worded opinion pieces so why are you so miffed that someone else's opinion of other games contradicts your own?

Stop looking for validation beyond what you yourself enjoy in gaming.

Top Bottom