• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM Miyamoto Revolution Interview

yoopoo

Banned
EGM: Some people are saying Nintendo has given up trying to lead technologically and is focused on innovation.

SM: I don't think the Revolution's (graphics) will be inferior in any fashion to Xbox 360 or PS3. Even if you look at Zelda on GameCube - I don't think that looks inferior to what the competition is touting as "next generation" visuals. But we think there are more important things for now than making the system work with a high-definition television. The majority of people won't be playing our system with an HDTV, (though) with the Revolution, 480p resolution will be standard. We are not making light of graphics and technology - we are trying to make the best-balanced machine that will appeal to the most people.

EGM: Why make the DVD player optional with Revolution? And how will it work - is it an attachment or a remote or what?

SM: The majority of households already own a DVD player or two. We don't want them to spend extra money just to have a console which happens to have DVD capability. And the DVD player isn't going to be an attachment; it’s going to go inside the machine so you won't even (be able to) tell the difference.

EGM: You've promised Wi-Fi for the Revolution but will it also have a standard Ethernet port?

SM: (No, it) doesn't have an Ethernet port. However, through the USB port, it’s possible to have Ethernet with an adapter. Considering where the machine will be placed in the household, we think it would be difficult for people to route the typical Ethernet line to it. Also, We're considering connecting the DS with the Revolution via Wi-Fi.

EGM: Moving on to other games--we know Smash Bros. is coming to the Revolution, but what about DS?

SM: We're thinking about it.

EGM: What about Luigi's Mansion? Is that series over, or will we ever see another?

SM: The director often says, "Make another one! Make another one!" and I want to use Luigi again.

EGM: Any chance we'll see another Pikmin?

SM: Nothings set in stone yet, but the interface we're creating for the Revolution is well suited for Pikmin - I think it would be a good match. Not much I can say other than that.

EGM: Will we ever see anything more of Stage Debut? (a technology demo that allowed players to map their face on in-game characters)?

SM: Yeah, I want to do something with it.

EGM: Speaking of the virtual console, might older offline multiplayer games, like Mario Party, be altered so you could play them online with the Revolution?

SM: We know that we will offer the past games for sure. But we are discussing the possibility of having older games like Mario party playable online. So if our discussion goes well, and if the technical aspects of Revolution also go well, that's possible.

EGM: You've said the Revolution controller will be unique - do you worry about it alienating developers? Say Splinter Cell comes out for all the next-gen systems; might the Revolution controller be so different that it'd be tough to map the controls onto?

SM: Well, of course, the idea is that the Revolution will sell and sell and sell so it becomes the standard in the industry. (Smiles) However, at least for the launch period...we designed the controller so it can play any of the different conventional styles. After all, we are talking about it playing games from our past machines (ie the virtual console). So don't worry.

http://www.cubed3.com/viewnews.php?storyid=4116

Zilch

Banned
EGM: You've said the Revolution controller will be unique - do you worry about it alienating developers? Say Splinter Cell comes out for all the next-gen systems; might the Revolution controller be so different that it'd be tough to map the controls onto?

SM: Well, of course, the idea is that the Revolution will sell and sell and sell so it becomes the standard in the industry. (Smiles) However, at least for the launch period...we designed the controller so it can play any of the different conventional styles. After all, we are talking about it playing games from our past machines (ie the virtual console). So don't worry.

So basically, to Nintendo "revolutionary" means that the controller can easily be used to play NES/SNES/N64/GC/REV games? OMG!

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
Spider_Jerusalem said:
Incredible :lol
wallguy-screen.jpg

Gattsu25

Banned
Miyamoto said:
SM: I don't think the Revolution's (graphics) will be inferior in any fashion to Xbox 360 or PS3. Even if you look at Zelda on GameCube - I don't think that looks inferior to what the competition is touting as "next generation" visuals. But we think there are more important things for now than making the system work with a high-definition television.
OMG :lol :lol
Miyamoto said:
The majority of people won't be playing our system with an HDTV, (though) with the Revolution, 480p resolution will be standard. We are not making light of graphics and technology - we are trying to make the best-balanced machine that will appeal to the most people.
I definately agree with this

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
The fact that you can play stuff like fighting games with it should appease alot of the naysayers...right?

yoopoo

Banned
Sega on Rev. Old?

SEGA has announced plans to show strong support for Nintendo's next-gen Revolution console, confirming that classic titles are more than likely to make an appearance on the platform.

"The Nintendo fan, I think, is very similar to the SEGA fan of old," SEGA's Simon Jeffrey told Nintendo Power magazine.

"I think SEGA and Nintendo have similar software philosophies. A product like Sonic is very family oriented. It's all about entertainment rather than trying to be controversial or anything like that. It's pure, good old-fashioned entertainment."

"We're very excited about the prospects of Revolution," he continued.

"The Nintendo platforms have been great for Sonic and the classic franchises. We think Revolution can absolutely be the same."

So which classic franchises in particular, eh? So far the rumour mongers have suggested that next-gen versions of Shinobi and Panzer Dragoon are in the works, but SEGA is keeping schtum.

"We're looking at which of our classic IPs are appropriate for different platforms," Jeffrey said.

"We're very interested in Revolution at the moment. We obviously haven't made any announcements, but we, like other people, are talking with Nintendo about what Revolution will be, about potential opportunities on Revolution."

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60168

Juice

At this point, if the Rev is significantly less powerful graphically from the competition, I'd rather that the controller DID alienate third party games from getting ported over so quickly and sloppily. That's one huge reason that the GameCube's image in the US evaporated so quickly: shitty ports that could have been better but weren't.

In the case of Rev, it's already sounding like the ports can't possibly be better, so why encourage them if it's going to kill your brand? I don't think we need another generation of Nintendo's console sporting a completely nerfed thrice-ported copy of Splinter Cell with bugs crawling out the ass.

themadcowtipper said:
Ohhhhh I'm really impressed, very strange you didn't post an Oblivion screen: it's much more in the same genre of Zelda ;-)

C'mon, telling that Zelda on the cube is grapically at the same level of next-gen games, it's completely nuts. Or is he suggesting us that Rev will have GameCube-class graphics? :lol

sly

Banned
yoopoo said:
EGM: Some people are saying Nintendo has given up trying to lead technologically and is focused on innovation.

SM: I don't think the Revolution's (graphics) will be inferior in any fashion to Xbox 360 or PS3. Even if you look at Zelda on GameCube - I don't think that looks inferior to what the competition is touting as "next generation" visuals. But we think there are more important things for now than making the system work with a high-definition television. The majority of people won't be playing our system with an HDTV, (though) with the Revolution, 480p resolution will be standard. We are not making light of graphics and technology - we are trying to make the best-balanced machine that will appeal to the most people.

OMG! :lol :lol :lol

Ruzbeh

Banned
sly said:
OMG! :lol :lol :lol
What's the matter with you guys? He's saying that it's not an incredible difference. Sure, the lighting is better, the textures are better, everything is better. But it's not a huge step like last generation to this generation. He obviously knows that next-gen visuals are better than Twilight Princess, don't be stupid.

fresquito

EGM: Speaking of the virtual console, might older offline multiplayer games, like Mario Party, be altered so you could play them online with the Revolution?

SM: We know that we will offer the past games for sure. But we are discussing the possibility of having older games like Mario party playable online. So if our discussion goes well, and if the technical aspects of Revolution also go well, that's possible.

Make it happen, make it happen please! Anyway... could they implement this in games like Golden Eye eliminating the split screen? or would it work just in games where the multiplayer takes place in one and only screen? would we have to play online in a little square but with none around? Doubts... so many doubts...

The thing about the graphics is... v_v

AirBrian

EGM: Why make the DVD player optional with Revolution? And how will it work - is it an attachment or a remote or what?

SM: The majority of households already own a DVD player or two. We don't want them to spend extra money just to have a console which happens to have DVD capability. And the DVD player isn't going to be an attachment; it’s going to go inside the machine so you won't even (be able to) tell the difference.
Huh? So is it out-of-the-box or like Xbox this gen?

Ruzbeh said:
What's the matter with you guys? He's saying that it's not an incredible difference.
Indeed :lol

Sure, the lighting is better, the textures are better, everything is better.

Not mentioning the grass ;-)

Saying "I don't think that looks inferior to what the competition is touting as "next generation"", he's simply telling that e doesn't think that Zelda TP looks inferior to Oblivion. Pure gold :D

themadcowtipper

Spider_Jerusalem said:
Ohhhhh I'm really impressed, very strange you didn't post an Oblivion screen: it's much more in the same genre of Zelda ;-)

C'mon, telling that Zelda on the cube is grapically at the same level of next-gen games, it's completely nuts. Or is he suggesting us that Rev will have GameCube-class graphics? :lol

Reading Comprehension -1 He dosnt say the cube Zelda is on par with next gen system he said He dosent think it is inferior...ie it is an opinon, And I will allow him to think that since Zelda is his baby and he probaly has alot of love for the series....

SM: I don't think the Revolution's (graphics) will be inferior in any fashion to Xbox 360 or PS3. Even if you look at Zelda on GameCube - I don't think that looks inferior to what the competition is touting as "next generation" visuals. But we think there are more important things for now than making the system work with a high-definition television..

FiRez

It seems really weird that the console will have wi-fi included but not a very basic and cheap ethernet port o_O

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
AirBrian said:
Huh? So is it out-of-the-box or like Xbox this gen?

His answer could have been worded better, but sounds like Nintendo will be doing the same as Microsoft did with Xbox. Buying a remote control or something which also enables DVD playback and covers the royalty costs for them.

Atleast it clears up the daft E3 reports that it would be a dvd add-on that was going to sit under the Revolution, even though the Revolution accepted DVD-sized discs already.

thorns

Banned
What's the matter with you guys? He's saying that it's not an incredible difference.

themadcowtipper said:
Reading Comprehension -1 He dosnt say the cube Zelda is on par with next gen system he say He dosent think it is inferior...ie it is an opinon, And I will allow him to think that since Zelda is his baby and he probaly has alot of love for the series....

According to basic laws of logic, if it's not inferior then it's either on par or better.

sly

Banned
Ruzbeh said:
What's the matter with you guys? He's saying that it's not an incredible difference. Sure, the lighting is better, the textures are better, everything is better. But it's not a huge step like last generation to this generation. He obviously knows that next-gen visuals are better than Twilight Princess, don't be stupid.

Don't be a moron. And just stop your damage control; read his statement again: he doesn't think Zelda looks inferior to what the competition is touting as next gen, in short he thinks Zelda is at least on par with what the competition has shown if not superior :lol

thorns said:
According to basic laws of logic, if it's not inferior then it's either on par or better.

Exactly. :lol

Ponn

Banned
themadcowtipper said:
Reading Comprehension -1 He dosnt say the cube Zelda is on par with next gen system he said He dosent think it is inferior...ie it is an opinon, And I will allow him to think that since Zelda is his baby and he probaly has alot of love for the series....

I know it's his opinion but it's still a weird thing to say. If he's saying GCN zelda isn't inferior to the visuals of PS3 and Xbox 360 then what would you call that? On par.

Zelda looks better than most "next-gen" titles, at least art wise. Technically, no. But not like there's too many technically stunning "next-gen" titles either.

cja

Most of these questions were in the interview with Iwata, not Miyamoto. It is Iwata who claims Revolution's graphics aren't inferior to the competition. It is Iwata who answers the queries over DVD playback and Ethernet.

Ruzbeh

Banned
sly said:
Don't be a moron. And just stop your damage control; read his statement again: he doesn't think Zelda looks inferior to what the competition is touting as next gen, in short he thinks Zelda is at least on par with what the competition has shown if not superior :lol
He might be talking about the artistic aspect. And to be honest, I think Zelda (as a whole) looks better than Oblivion (going from the early screens), even though Oblivion is technically better and has better lighting and textures. But stuff like RE5 does look better.
cja said:
This interview was with Iwata not Miyamoto.
It's with both.

Ponn

Banned
Ruzbeh said:
He might be talking about the artistic aspect. And to be honest, I think Zelda (as a whole) looks better than Oblivion (going from the early screens), even though Oblivion is technically better and has better lighting and textures. But stuff like RE5 does look better.

It's with both.

Didn't you claim to not be a crazy Nfan in the other thread? Just checking.

Ruzbeh

Banned
olimario said:
On par with the Kameo model
the-legend-of-zelda-gcn-20050516024610715.jpg
Yes! Miyamoto was referring to "what companies call next-gen visuals". Maybe he only saw Kameo or Perfect Dark Zero!

Damage control abilities +1

sly

Banned
Ruzbeh said:

It's with both.

Way to spin bro. Try again :lol

Redbeard said:
920769_112304_screen002.jpg

924363_20050107_screen003.jpg

NO DIFFERENCE

:lol I know!

themadcowtipper

It seems everyone always makes a big deal about Nintendo press clippings and try to hammer them for what they saybout the Revoulution, even though they are being secretive and not saying anything OFFICIAL, just speculation by whoever at Nintendo is giving the interview.. I feel it will be alot like this generation Nintendo gives conservitve power estimates, and any third party company that try to use the system strengths will pull out a game that will look better then it could on anyother system...Same goes for games made for other systems..But does it really matter if Nintendo has the most powerfull system it is not going to change anything, your still going to have to own ps3 to play games not made by Nintendo....Never understood why fanboi's like to have the biggest baddest system it never factors into how popular the system becomes in the real world...only Bizzaro World GAF....I actyally fill sorry for people who only own one system, I 'm glad I never have to pick one system and ride it to the finish, especially before they even come out...

Give me a f'n break :lol

AirBrian

Nash said:
His answer could have been worded better, but sounds like Nintendo will be doing the same as Microsoft did with Xbox. Buying a remote control or something which also enables DVD playback and covers the royalty costs for them.

Atleast it clears up the daft E3 reports that it would be a dvd add-on that was going to sit under the Revolution, even though the Revolution accepted DVD-sized discs already.
The Xbox route seems more logical. And I'm definitely glad it's not a physical add-on.

cja

Ruzbeh said:
It's with both.
Hey, I edited well before you replied here :) All the 'controversial' answers are Iwata's.

Iwata
1. Nintendo giving up on technology?
2. Why is the DVD optional?
3. Does Rev have an Ethernet port?
8. Will "Virtual Console" allow online multiplayer of offline multiplayer modes?
9. Will the uniqueness of Revolution controller put off 3rd parties?

Miyamoto
4. Smash Bros. on DS?
5. Luigi's Mansion sequel?
6. Another Pikmin?
7. Stage Debut?

themadcowtipper said:
It seems everyone always makes a big deal <mega-cut>
Hey, cool down, we're simply joking at his bold (to say the least) sentence. And it isn't even a sentence about revolution.

Never understood why fanboi's like to have the biggest baddest system
So joking about a really laughable sentence transforms everyone in a fanboy :lol

Oops :( - In a series of clumsy moves, I somehow managed to hit the reply button and proceed to post in the thread with the letter 'Y'. A significant contribution.

While I'm here, I wouldn't read Miyamoto's comments quite so literally. I'm quietly confident that Miyamoto, an industry veteran of 25/30 odd years, can spot the difference between graphical prowess better than most of us here and he's not stating that Zelda looks better than Oblivion / Killzone 2 video.

Other than that, not much to see in the interview.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Akira said:
Is it just me or is the wireless-only thing a really dumb decision by Nintendo?
Well, the DS and Revolution are wireless-only. The DS can't be wired, and the Revolution can get a wire using by using a USB adapter to get an ethernet port (Rev got two USB 2.0 ports).

Top Bottom