• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM Miyamoto Revolution Interview

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I've always known it's been *at least* 480p...this just more firmly confirm's it. It would make no sense that GCN can do 480p and then Revolution couldn't at least do it. And when I say at least, I think the option is there for developers to make games in even higher resolutions...it's just that Nintendo isn't making it a focus or a forced standerd.

I don't think radiohead meant to say the WiFi/ethernet thing like that. He's just putting an emphasis on the possitive that Nintendo is creating an option for those people who don't wanna use WiFi and would rather use an ethernet cable. Lemme re-state it, this interview confirms:
• "I don't think the Revolution's (graphics) will be inferior in any fashion to Xbox 360 or PS3" good news for ports
• *at least* 480p standard
• DVD player isn't an add-on (like N64 DD) like some said earlier this year, it'll be a minor attachment that unlocks the ability to play them (I don't know why this is so hard to understand???)
• WiFi standerd and an ethernet adaptor option (via USB) for those who wanna use an ethernet cable instead
• Nintendo considering Smash Bros DS
• ambiguous answer regarding a Luigi in a game (on his own, like in Luigi's Mansion?)
• the new Revolution interface suits Pikmin well (I'm thinking a trackball or built-in mic for verbal commands)
• older games (like Mario Party) might be retooled to be played online
• Nintendo aim to make Revolution a standard by trying to sell as many systems as possible so that 3RD parties will actually support them to get at it's userbase...which in turn makes the revolutionary aspect a standerd too
• The Revolution controller will be able to play conventional (normal) games (which goes along with what Teddman, King Dea & others have said...that the controller isn't really THAT different) which should be good for the launch period when Revolution may get alot of ports from other systems that require conventional controls good news for ports

Gregory

Banned
I kind of support Nintendo not going HD.

It will be annoying playing 360/PS3 knowing I only get half the experience with my normal TV. As will 90% of Euro gamers. No way am I buying a HDTV in the next 3-4 years. They`re way to expensive.

Revolution +1.

WindyMan

If you all want to know why Nintendo doesn't put an ethernet port on the system, it's because Nintendo is an evil corporation hell-bent on getting money out of everybody. A lot of people won't go online with the Revolution (although that 90% number for the DS is pretty lofty), so someone who buys the Rev with no intention to won't need to pay extra for that feature. Those that do want to go online and want an ethernet port will need to pay for the USB adaptor, which Nintendo will mark up considerably. Profit.

The same logic follows with the "optional" DVD player. However, it's odd that a lot of Xbox fanboys are slamming Nintendo for this decision when likely many of them have purchased the Xbox DVD playback kit. So shut up about it. If you want the thing to play DVDs badly enough, you'll buy whatever module you need to do so. If you don't, you won't. If you want it for "free," you already have a PS2 or are getting (and paying for) a 360 or PS3.

Even then, we don't know if it is completely built in, or an unlockable thing like with the Xbox. So any complaints about it possibly having the feature are silly and pointless, as is the GAF way.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Gregory said:

It will be annoying playing 360/PS3 knowing I only get half the experience with my normal TV. As will 90% of Euro gamers. No way am I buying a HDTV in the next 3-4 years. They`re way to expensive.

Revolution +1.
Ruzbeh: Here.
Gregory: Huh?
Ruzbeh: Use this shield. You will need it to fend the hordes of people that are going to tell you that HDTVs will become very cheap in the next 3-4 years.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
FiRez said:
It seems really weird that the console will have wi-fi included but not a very basic and cheap ethernet port o_O

cutting some costs. id rather have wifi than ethernet cable. my living room is nowhere near my router.. and if you have broadband.. you have a computer. get that 10 usb nub.

Gregory

Banned
Ruzbeh said:
Ruzbeh: Here.
Gregory: Huh?
Ruzbeh: Use this shield. You will need it to fend the hordes of people that are going to tell you that HDTVs will become very cheap in the next 3-4 years.

heh. ;)

But in 3-4 years, when they possibly have become reasonable in price over here, the PS3 and 360 is being phased out. So I will be playing the entire gen on normal TV`s.

I just checked the price for the cheapest, crappiest Thomson 23 inch HDTV, 1280 x 768 only.
LCD also. :/ 1500 US dollars.

Just no.

WindyMan

Ruzbeh said:
Use this shield. You will need it to fend the hordes of people that are going to tell you that HDTVs will become very cheap in the next 3-4 years.

Yes, that's true. However, you could make the arguement that broadband internet has also become very cheap since the time this gen of consoles launched, and while high-speed internet penetration has increased signifigantly since 2000, it's still not that big of a dent to make a huge different for game systems. Obviously, lack of online hurt Nintendo's third party lineup, but in the end they still made a lot of money. That's all Nintendo cares about.

Obviously, the difference with HDTVs is that in 2008 everything will be broadcasting in digital, so HDTVs are going to be more affordable. Everyone here is assuming that people will dump their perfectly good SD TVs overnight and buy an HDTV with no questions asked. Uh, no. There are millions of perfectly good TV sets in America, and people will just get the digital-analog converter boxes instead of forking over a few hundred bucks to replace a TV set that would still only be 3 or 4 years old at that point.

There will be a lot of people with HDTVs in 2008-2010, just like there is a lot of people with high-speed internet now. Online is an important feature in console games, but the online gamer is still in the vast minority. Nintendo needs to design a console for the majority, and they think they can make the online gamer a majority (90%) in the next few years. They don't think HDTVs will be in the possession of the majority until the after the Revolution (especially in Japan and Europe), so it doesn't look like it'll be in it.

That still doesn't change the fact that I want Revolution to be HD. I have a TV for it, dammit.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Gregory said:
heh. ;)

But in 3-4 years, when they possibly have become reasonable in price over here, the PS3 and 360 is being phased out. So I will be playing the entire gen on normal TV`s.

I just checked the price for the cheapest, crappiest Thomson 23 inch HDTV, 1280 x 768 only.
LCD also. :/ 1500 US dollars.

Just no.

You have to look at the right places. I saw a widescreen HDTV at Walmart (Samsung I think) for $799 CDN.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Ponn01 said:
N-side the N-bot mind:

"Oh crap, the graphics are in question if they will be comparable, developers and even Nintendo reps are downplaying the graphics. MUST DEFEND THE HIVE AT ALL COST!
If Nintendo doesn't crush the competition I cannot enjoy my system, must make others believe. Oh no, Revolution not supporting HD. Wait, I totally believe Nintendo that HD will not matter, why can't everyone else see the truth of what Nintendo says? I will fight them and set them right. See, Revolution will have DVD, a generation late and no longer a matter, but see they have it. See they have online, a generation late, but see they have it, in fact it's the new Nintendo way online, which really isn't any different then anyone else is doing it, but still it's Nintendo online so there. New Iwata quote meant to downplay graphics of next generation systems, better spin it too other forumers even though it's meaning is obvious and makes no sense. Crap that's not working. I know, I will post the worst possible pics of next generation games I can find compared to the best zelda pics I can find, yea that will work. And if that won't work, I will just go badmouth PSP in the numbers thread, I always have that to fall back on."

Posts on GAF are a beacon for other N-Bots to come out of the woodwork:
"LOLerz ... Iwata is so brilliant..worship Miyamoto. Zelda is on par with next generation graphics i totally believe anything the holy trilogy Iwata/Miyamoto/Reggie says to me."

HA HA HA..."N-SIDE" that's great! This is fun...

N-Hater being called out:
"Now I shall prove how all "N-BOT's" are all the same, one collective mind to protect the "N-HIVE" like well-oiled "N-GEN" with my witty and perfect fanboy crushing rebuttle. I shall then post pics of the best pre-rended next generation graphics and compare them to the worst Zelda pic...a pic that took me an hour to find. I shall also bring up (unconfirmed) points like Nintendo not supporting HD & having inferior graphics and shall always think of them in a negative light no matter what they do. If controller is normal than Nintendo are bad for hyping up it as a Revolution. If controller is different than it WILL alient developers 'cos it's a pathetic gimmick. No matter what Nintendo does...it's wrong. All their fans are exactly the same too...it's fun to lump people I don't know into one collective group that is always wrong. Ha ha ha...I am so witty, Nintendo is always "a generation behind" and the Revolution is small...therefore it'll be as weak as the GCN...that's why Iwata said Zelda on GCN looks better than next generation games. Ha ha...now I have proved my opinon's as fact with my wit."

I could care less about being called a fanboy, I know I'm biased. Sorry, I can't get Mario, Metroid or Zelda on the other systems, so that's why I like Nintendo...shoot me. I could care less about power, HD or graphics either. So what if Revolution only ends up being 2 to 3 times more than GCN...RE4 & LOZ look awesome, I'd be happy with "only" that. I just don't like us being lumped into one big group like as if we all think the same, 'cos we don't. Just like not all the N-haters out there aren't the same. I'm not the type of N-BOT to go into sales threads and laugh at the PSP or give "props" to Nintendogs. I'm a realistic Nintendo fan...I'm not delusional, I used to want them to be #1 again, but until they get the mindshare in their favor it's never gonna happen...I don't need the competition to be "crushed" to be happy anyways.

DrinkyCrows future wit said:
Nintendo 3RD party soon, you'll be able to get those games on PS4

jett

D-Member
Ruzbeh said:
What's the matter with you guys? He's saying that it's not an incredible difference. Sure, the lighting is better, the textures are better, everything is better. But it's not a huge step like last generation to this generation. He obviously knows that next-gen visuals are better than Twilight Princess, don't be stupid.

:lol TP doesn't even look that good by this gen's standards. It gets buttraped by next-gen stuff...what's the matter with you? :p

olimario

Banned
jett said:
:lol TP doesn't even look that good by this gen's standards. It gets buttraped by next-gen stuff...what's the matter with you? :p

Buttraped... Sure...
Zelda is taking a huge buttraping from kameo... that's for damn sure

xbox3601_kameo_14.jpg

horseback.jpg

:lol

Ponn

Banned
DrGAKMAN said:
HA HA HA..."N-SIDE" that's great! This is fun...

N-Hater being called out:
"Now I shall prove how all "N-BOT's" are all the same, one collective mind to protect the "N-HIVE" like well-oiled "N-GEN" with my witty and perfect fanboy crushing rebuttle. I shall then post pics of the best pre-rended next generation graphics and compare them to the worst Zelda pic...a pic that took me an hour to find. I shall also bring up (unconfirmed) points like Nintendo not supporting HD & having inferior graphics and shall always think of them in a negative light no matter what they do. If controller is normal than Nintendo are bad for hyping up it as a Revolution. If controller is different than it WILL alient developers 'cos it's a pathetic gimmick. No matter what Nintendo does...it's wrong. All their fans are exactly the same too...it's fun to lump people I don't know into one collective group that is always wrong. Ha ha ha...I am so witty, Nintendo is always "a generation behind" and the Revolution is small...therefore it'll be as weak as the GCN...that's why Iwata said Zelda on GCN looks better than next generation games. Ha ha...now I have proved my opinon's as fact with my wit."

I could care less about being called a fanboy, I know I'm biased. Sorry, I can't get Mario, Metroid or Zelda on the other systems, so that's why I like Nintendo...shoot me. I could care less about power, HD or graphics either. So what if Revolution only ends up being 2 to 3 times more than GCN...RE4 & LOZ look awesome, I'd be happy with "only" that. I just don't like us being lumped into one big group like as if we all think the same, 'cos we don't. Just like not all the N-haters out there aren't the same. I'm not the type of N-BOT to go into sales threads and laugh at the PSP or give "props" to Nintendogs. I'm a realistic Nintendo fan...I'm not delusional, I used to want them to be #1 again, but until they get the mindshare in their favor it's never gonna happen...I don't need the competition to be "crushed" to be happy anyways.

:lol :lol :lol

Someone can take humor

Respect +100

P.S. - I think your original and this post are pretty right on too.

Pimpwerx

I hope backwards compat with old games means 6 face buttons and 4 shoulder. Afterall, the N64 had 6-face buttons. ;) PEACE.

littlewig

Banned
Gregory said:

Revolution +1.

Wait, not playing a game on a HDTV means you have 50% less the fun?

How does it feel to be brainwashed by Microsoft?

Any1

I was excited too when he said that Revolutions graphics would not be inferior to the competitions graphics. But then he came out and basically said what his idea of "not inferior" meant by stating that he didn't think Zelda was inferior to the competitions "next gen" visuals.

I don't care how you spin it, Zelda (being one of the GC's best looking games to date) is not even in the same ballpark compared to some of the best looking next gen titles. And were even talking about the first gen of next gen titles which are for the most part unfinished games that will still improve greatly over the months leading up to launch.

There is no way in hell someone could look at what the best of the next gen visuals offer right now, compared to Zelda, and come away with the opinion that Zelda isn't inferior. Zelda is ridiculously inferior in the visuals department no matter how you spin it. And that's what has me disapointed. Because that leads me to believe that Nintendo actually believes that Zelda is close to next gen graphics and therefor sees no need to really increase the Revolutions graphical capabilities to any large extent over what the GC currently offers.

And i'm sorry but like i said above, Zelda is nowhere near even being close to what the best next gen titles offer graphically. Even in the wholly unfinished state that the're in right now.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Any1 said:
I was excited too when he said that Revolutions graphics would not be inferior to the competitions graphics. But then he came out and basically said what his idea of "not inferior" meant by stating that he didn't think Zelda was inferior to the competitions "next gen" visuals.

I don't care how you spin it, Zelda (being one of the GC's best looking games to date) is not even in the same ballpark compared to some of the best looking next gen titles. And were even talking about the first gen of next gen titles which are for the most part unfinished games that will still improve greatly over the months leading up to launch.

There is no way in hell someone could look at what the best of the next gen visuals offer right now, compared to Zelda, and come away with the opinion that Zelda isn't inferior. Zelda is ridiculously inferior in the visuals department no matter how you spin it. And that's what has me disapointed. Because that leads me to believe that Nintendo actually believes that Zelda is close to next gen graphics and therefor sees no need to really increase the Revolutions graphical capabilities to any large extent over what the GC currently offers.

And i'm sorry but like i said above, Zelda is nowhere near even being close to what the best next gen titles offer graphically. Even in the wholly unfinished state that the're in right now.
I think now I know what it means. He meant that next-gen looks better, but that doesn't make Zelda inferior as a whole.

littlewig

Banned
Any1 said:

You act like there is some huge leap between Zelda and some of the stuff we have seen on Xbox360, please. The only difference between the new Zelda and most next gen games is the texture qaulity. It doesn't take that much more power to store larger textures, you just need more memory.

If Nintendo had access to 256MB or RAM, or even 128MB, to make Zelda, the difference between next gen would be marginal. Add a more advance GPU with the RAM, then could get the extra effects to make everything look more realistic.

It's sad how people fall for the hype MS and Sony are spewing, they actually believe they have reached God like limits in graphics. How did Nintendo, the company considered to be a graphical powerhouse, become so incapable to many people?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Any1 said:

Has people forgotten to read shit, Iwata didn't mention any game especifically for fucks sake he just said that Zelda is comparable to some Next-Gen game which is totally true Kameo anyone? Perfect Dark Zero ring a bell? besides Shikamaru Ninja already said this interview was done IN E3, where the RE5 wasn't shown back then, PS3 tech demos were being touted as fake. Sure the Next-Gen best titles are going to wipe the floor with Zelda but he didn't say Zelda was comparable to those he said Next-gen games not the BEST NEXT-GEN GAMES

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Ponn01 said:
Awww...now why would you go and do that.

respect - 100

there you go.

Who said I was even talkin' about you anyways...

HA HA HA

Back on topic. I like how Iwata says stuff about selling the Revolution and making it a standerd...that is the TRUE way to get 3RD party support, by attracting them with an actual userbase. Last time Nintendo did this effectivly was when the NES was introduced. Yeah there were 3RD party titles there, but it was mainly Nintendo who really *launched* the system with SMBros., SMBros. 2, Legend Of Zelda, Adventures Of Link, Kid Icarus & Metroid, their bevy of sports titles as well as a bunch of other games in different genre's...this was all within the first 2 years of the NES's life. Nintendo themselves created a userbase that attracted 3RD parties the old fashioned way. Already we're hearing that SSBros., Metroid, Mario, Pilotwings, (maybe) Kid Icarus, Pikmin & Animal Crossing will be available within the first year of the Revolution's life as well as new franchises from Nintendo...plus the 20 years of B/C...this could be Nintendo's way of recreating what they did with the NES. They need to make their own fighting, racing, sports & mature titles so that developers who make those kind of games can more seriously think about bringing them to Revolution.

olimario

Banned
No, SSX. The scren of Link on his horse is on par or better than what I've seen of Kameo. I know Kameo has more characters on screen, but looking character by character it's graphically on par with Zelda while having a worse art direction.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
SolidSnakex said:
There's nothing funny about it because its true

516505_20050518_screen008.jpg

920769_112304_screen001.jpg

516505_20050518_screen003.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20050722113201407.jpg

:lol I think Iwata accomplished his mission Zelda is indeed being compare to Next-Gen titles

On par? Artistically? Sure its better, I don't think anyone would really argue that Kameo's art direction is good. But its nowhere near to be on par with Kameo on a technical level. Just look at the texturing on Link and his horse compared to Kameo and her horse. You don't even need to start looking at the polygon differences between the 2 because the texture difference is big enough.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Error2k4 said:
:lol I think Iwata accomplished his mission Zelda is indeed being compare to Next-Gen titles

It's called trick advertising. Nintendo hasn't even shown games, support, specs or the damned controller and yet people can't stop talking about Revolution. Yeah, it's alot of negative stuff, but publicity is publicity.

APF

SolidSnakex said:
On par? Artistically? Sure its better, I don't think anyone would really argue that Kameo's art direction is good. But its nowhere near to be on par with Kameo on a technical level. Just look at the texturing on Link and his horse compared to Kameo and her horse. You don't even need to start looking at the polygon differences between the 2 because the texture difference is big enough.
That's the point though, specifically when comparing Zelda to Kameo (an apt comparison for many reasons), namely that raw technology isn't everything; IMO for the majority of gamers the superior art direction of Zelda wins, or at least balances things out. This goes along with what Nintendo has been saying since they started discussing next gen gaming. Still, while Kameo works for the argument they want to make, it doesn't fully hold-up due to the game's checkered history. And with the things we've been seeing this week, Iwata's jab--basically the same as the "Xbox 1.5" snipe--no longer holds water.

Gregory

Banned
littlewig said:
Wait, not playing a game on a HDTV means you have 50% less the fun?

How does it feel to be brainwashed by Microsoft?

What are you talking about? All I said is that it will be annoying to know all games on PS3/360 support HDTV but I will not be able to use that. Like most euro gamers.
So I support Nintendo for sticking to the standards TV`s.

Brainwashed by MS ? By supporting Nintendo in this case ? Reading comprehension...

You have to look at the right places. I saw a widescreen HDTV at Walmart (Samsung I think) for $799 CDN.

Did you hook up a high-definition test pattern generator to it and check the actual resolved resolution?

Lots of the cheap high-def sets people buy will accept 1080i inputs and only resolve an effective resolution of around 960x540 or so. If Revolution can do 720x480p, it's not going to look much worse than 360 or PS3 on cheapie HDTVs.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
TheJollyCorner said:
rofl :lol

what the fuck is this?

ss_preview_possession1.jpg

I hope this game comes packed in with 360 or something... terrible... :lol

That is Possession....it doesn't look that impressive in that particular screen shot because the game is designed to have tons of characters on screen:

possession-20050706111500731.jpg

possession-20050706111457903.jpg

According to the developers, at times you will see over 100 characters on screen in Possession...

I wonder how good the models in Zelda:TP would look with 100 of them on screen at the same time :)

heidern

SolidSnakex said:
On par? Artistically? Sure its better, I don't think anyone would really argue that Kameo's art direction is good. But its nowhere near to be on par with Kameo on a technical level.

Yeah, well Iwata didn't say anything about technical comparisons. He was talking about the overall effect. 3d Models*Artwork.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
SolidSnakex said:
There's nothing funny about it because its true

516505_20050518_screen008.jpg

920769_112304_screen001.jpg

516505_20050518_screen003.jpg

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20050722113201407.jpg

212916323.jpg

212919450.jpg

And my personal favorite... (from E3 2004, nonetheless)

212916327.jpg

Really, I can see where he's coming from in the interview. Some games, like Perfect dark Zero and Kameo don't appear to have the huge generational leap like you saw from some of the later N64 Star Wars games to, say, Rogue Squadron 2, a GC launch title.

I mean, it's obvious that he's bullshitting. GC titles don't look next gen, that's for sure, but when you compare SOME zelda footage to SOME footage of games from Xbox 360, the difference doesn't look huge.

miyuru

Why hasn't anyone posted any RE5 pics?

You guys are so brainwashed. A game that looks like crap for a next-gen title will always look better than the best looking previous-gen title. Don't go by screens/videos, compare the final products on your TV.

MarkMacD

John Harker said:
The fact that he says "at least for launch" they will make it compatible to be mapped to all styles of conventional controllers, meaning the compeitions next-gen controllers as well, that makes me believe the controller is upgradable then.

Whoa, whoa. You're misreading what he said--it goes along with the sentence before it. What he meant was at launch, when the revolution isn't yet the dominant system that 3rd parties will be willing to tailor their game designs to, the rev controller can handle ports of games from the other systems.

EDIT: Also, this is our Iwata interview, not miyamoto. Whatever this cubed3 site is that's hosting it will be hearing from the lawyers (sigh).

Kleegamefan said:
That is Possession....it doesn't look that impressive in that particular screen shot because the game is designed to have tons of characters on screen:

snip possession images

According to the developers, at times you will see over 100 characters on screen in Possession...

I wonder how good the models in Zelda:TP would look with 100 of them on screen at the same time :)

The biggets problem with Posession is that its art sucks, and if they want to be putting that many characters onscreen at once, they'd better have more than 10 models to use.

olimario

Banned
MarkMacD said:
Whoa, whoa. You're misreading what he said--it goes along with the sentence before it. What he meant was at launch, when the revolution isn't yet the dominant system that 3rd parties will be willing to tailor their game designs to, the rev controller can handle ports of games from the other systems.

That quote supports the controller Teddman saw, correct? Normal Face buttons, normal analog sticks, and 2 shoulder triggers.

Kuroyume

Banned
I can't believe people are arguing that Zelda looks better than the next gen games. That’s just utterly retarded thinking... sure pull out that awful wall guy pic and yeah it looks like you’re right, but Zelda looks inferior to everything else including the other PD0 shots. Zelda looks gorgeous (barring the embarrassing ground textures) but come on, get real...

MarkMacD

olimario said:
That quote supports the controller Teddman saw, correct? Normal Face buttons, normal analog sticks, and 2 shoulder triggers.

Well yes and no. I mean, he is saying/has said that whatever the controller is, somehow it needs to be compatible with all of the older Nintendo systems, and it -will- have actual buttons on it (not the touch screen GI was talking about), so in that respect yeah. But it's not necessarily saying that's -all- that will be on it.

Re: the Teddman thing, I dunno who he is or how he saw or what he saw or whatever, but if you ask me the likelihood that he saw a real, final revolution controller before a ton of (no offense) far more important people who nintendo has a vested interest in knowing and vice versa, I would put it pretty damn near 0%.

Top Bottom