• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why Single Player Gamers shouldn't fear the GAAS Revolution...

Dear Single Player Gamer, does this make sense to you?

• No. I am confused.

• Yes. I still don't like it but I see your point.

• Yes. I bask in the warm glow of a new perspective surrounding this difficult topic. TY, OP.

• No, GAAS is dumb.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I know that title triggered some but I want you to notice how I capitalized "Single Player Gamers" as a show of respect and good faith. I'm a multiplayer gamer but am your brother, whether you want to believe it or not. Think the dark blue water Navi and the light blue jungle Navi from Avatar: The Way of Water. We are one people who just want better games. Anyway...

The first 10 FPS games ever made are as follows:

Maze War................1974
Spasim......................1974
Star Ship...................1977
Cosmic Conflict.....1978
Star Raiders.............1979
Star Hawk.................1979
Battlezone................1980
Horizon V.................1982
Phantom Slayer.....1982
Stellar.........................1983

All of these games are SINGLE PLAYER (SP) and all of these predate the breakout SP hits Wolfenstein 3D and Doom. If you fast forward to today, the most popular, successful FPS games on the market are CS:GO, Warzone 2.0, Tarkov, Apex Legends, RS: Siege, which are all obviously MULTIPLAYER (MP) titles.

This illustrates how the industry grows. We send the explorers (single player developers) out to discover new genres. We send wave after wave of explorers to cut, chislel, and sand the newly discovered formula, and once we're comfortable enough, we call in the builders (multiplayer developers) to draw the masses. The reason we do this is because finding and shaping these genres is difficult. Having a second player attack Link before he runs into the cave in the top left quadrant of the screen just ruins everything if you don't know what you're doing.

If you look, you can see this pattern occur in a variety of different genres. Palia is the latest example - a multiplayer centric take on Animal Crossing / Stardew Valley. It won't be long before the top games in that genre are dominated by multiplayer. This is a central theme in many Western movies. The era of the tough and rugged cowboy begins to end when he sees the railroad being built. That's when the law, the women, and the businesses start pushing the necessity of the cowboy out.

Once-Upon-A-Time-3.jpg

Think of it this way. What percentage of the earths population lived in cities 200 years ago vs. today? Human nature gradually leaves frontier life as the draw of big cities becomes more appealing. Life on the frontier becomes less attractive once you learn about the modern amenities city life brings.

Why Single Player Gamers shouldn't fear the GAAS revolution:

Because builders are coming for you. You like a particular genre for a variety of reasons. The multiplayer builders have you in their targets. They want you to join modernity. You all post on NeoGAF because you like a certain degree of human interaction. It's not that you don't like multiplayer games. It's that you don't like the multiplayer games you've seen thus far.

Why Single Player Gamers should fear the GAAS revolution:

Because those builders may still be far away depending on your tastes. There's a mission in Cyberpunk 2077 where you have to go downstairs to talk to your suicidal neighbor. He's an ex cop who talks to his turtle or something...I don't know it was poorly written and poorly acted and it didn't give me interesting dialogue options so I zoned out. In time, that NPC will be another human being. The awkward, and basic nature of that mission will be blown out in the CyberpunkMMO. Only that game isn't coming out in the next few years.

TLDR: Most of you don't hate multiplayer. Your feelings towards it are a subconscious recognition of the fact that single player game design has had significant head start. As single player stagnates, the exciting advancements are coming from multiplayer as it incorporates the lessons learned from SP throughout the years.

Killjoy-NL

Why I fear the GAAS pivot is it LOOKS like its coming at the expense of those AAA single player games from Sony with how the last 12 months have gone and how the next 12 months look

Heres to hoping we get another Showcase and revealing some more games soon though
Or maybe Sony needs to have more GaaS so the situation you're describing doesn't spiral out of control.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Hasn't the GAAS revolution been here for nearly a decade? Companies can take the gamble, who cares. The heavy hitters of the past have proven themselves to be mid at best these days. So many other games to be excited for and to explore. GAAS may as well not exist for me, has had no impact on my gaming habits whatsoever.

splattered

Why I fear the GAAS pivot is it LOOKS like its coming at the expense of those AAA single player games from Sony with how the last 12 months have gone and how the next 12 months look

Heres to hoping we get another Showcase and revealing some more games soon though

I kind of wonder if they are trying to strike a balance between SP, MP, and VR... perhaps if they never delved into VR in the first place they would have felt like they had more resources to devote to SP on top of the MP push they are making? I dunno the PSVR is still pretty niche so maybe not.

I'm not worried and I don't consider it a pivot. They're expanding with new studios and their current studios. They've stated time and time again they'll continue to make the type games they're known for.
Peeps just need to chill. I think they'll do a big showcase soon after Spider-man 2 drops, i'm guessing a December Playstation Experience show.

MagnesD3

If you dont see the toxic money making souless mass market appeal of these Gaas games to further dilude the creativity and future great game design of the industry then you are blind or you are probably part of the problem.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
It’s all in how it is implemented. Gaas isn’t the enemy, it is when they make it predatory that it becomes an issue.

Destiny used to do it real well but it’s a shit show now. I’ve started up fallout 76 and, despite its flaws, it does it pretty well and you can play most of it like a regular fallout game. Warframe does it the best imo, especially being f2p.

The point is, let’s not judge the entire genre but on a game by game basis.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

But what does it matter if you fall in love with the next GAAS game they release? I'm likely your foil, as in I spend most of my time with multiplayer, but I'd much rather play the next interesting single player game over the next mediocre multiplayer game.

Great games are great games. The differentiation between SP and MP is ultimately meaningless. Shouldn't our minds be open?

maxresdefault.jpg
Microtransactions.png
gems_6500_en.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Yes, people do like multiplayer games.

The problem is the focus on modern multiplayer GaaS games is this.

The great thing about modern multiplayer is that most people never interact with the screens you posted. I'm not exaggerating when I say the time I spend looking at the Fortnite Battle Pass screen you posted constitutes .000013 percent of my playtime. They make it very easy to ignore.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The great thing about modern multiplayer is that most people never interact with the screens you posted. I'm not exaggerating when I say the time I spend looking at the Fortnite Battle Pass screen you posted constitutes .000013 percent of my playtime. They make it very easy to ignore.

That’s great, but it doesn’t change the fact that selling microtransactions is the primary focus, and the reason these games are created.
The ones that fail to find that audience, like Evil Dead - close up shop.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got nothing against multiplayer. But I prefer the old way of doing things.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
That’s great, but it doesn’t change the fact that selling microtransactions is the primary focus, and the reason these games are created.
The ones that fail to find that audience, like Evil Dead - close up shop.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve got nothing against multiplayer. But I prefer the old way of doing things.
It's not the players primary focus. The primary focus of the player is to have fun.

If you think about it, there's no difference between microtransactions and macrotransactions.

$70 dollar games provide most players with ~20 hours worth of entertainment. At the end of ~20 hours, most gamers fail to find entertainment in the product they purchased so they go back and buy another $70 dollar game.

5 games = 100 hours entertainment = $350.00

GAAS design just puts more meat on the bone. The primary focus for all games is to extract money from the player. Players just gravitate towards where the fun is.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
But what does it matter if you fall in love with the next GAAS game they release? I'm likely your foil, as in I spend most of my time with multiplayer, but I'd much rather play the next interesting single player game over the next mediocre multiplayer game.

Great games are great games. The differentiation between SP and MP is ultimately meaningless. Shouldn't our minds be open?
I actually spend a lot of time playing MP as well and maybe this is just the old man get off my lawn side of me but that's not where I want Sony heading.

They created a groove I really enjoy I want them hammering those games out not like this window we are currently in

I simply wont play Sony MP gaas games because 90% of the people I play MP games are on Xbox and PC

MikeM

As a mainly single player gamer, I still play MP like COD, Halo etc. My problem is when MP becomes synonymous with exploiting gambling habits, or pay to win mechanics.

Flutta

Banned
I mean it's really easy.. if devs/pubs don't make a product that's compelling i won't reward them with my money. Simple as that.

It's a blessing in disguise really, if they don't target your interest you get to save both time and money 🤷‍♂️

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don’t like MP, GAAS and live service, you are more than free like those crap but I DONT.

I get you are crazy about MP and live service games but you are acting like one of those cult fanatics trying so hard for others join you…..I’M NO INTERESTED.
door-closes-closing-door.gif

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Yup, which I exclusively play solo and have absolute blast doing so, same with all FROM games.
I mean, many GAAS are made to be played solo. I feel the biggest issue you have is enforced online elements, which honestly is my biggest peeve with the typical GAAS too.

SP games aren't going anywhere, they're still the bread and butter for Sony. Difference is now they're going after something they haven't covered as much to expand their business with. Exactly the same with mobile. A lot of this is just people over-reacting to essentially something they themselves don't want. The market though has spoken and gaas and mobile aren't going away and there's too much money there to be made just to ignore.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I mean, many GAAS are made to be played solo. I feel the biggest issue you have is enforced online elements, which honestly is my biggest peeve with the typical GAAS too.
If it has SP option then I should be allowed to play it completely offline. Both FROM, Monster Hunter and upcoming GB Relink allow me to do that.

Also I like the game to be finish and has proper ending and maybe one expansion like I get with FROM games and Xenoblade. I can’t just keep playing one game with consistent updates, I have other games I want to play.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
SP games aren't going anywhere, they're still the bread and butter for Sony. Difference is now they're going after something they haven't covered as much to expand their business with. Exactly the same with mobile. A lot of this is just people over-reacting to essentially something they themselves don't want. The market though has spoken and gaas and mobile aren't going away and there's too much money there to be made just to ignore.
People keep saying that but where are their big boy SP games the last 12 months and the next 12 months?

Its fine if people a loving this chase to gaas by Sony but like I keep saying it feels to me their SP games are beginning to suffer from it

From my point of view, this is how gaas lovers look like as they’re slowly getting choked and eaten away.
4lUnMqG.jpg

Go on, find your own happiness as long as it doesn’t affect my happiness. Problem is, it does. gaas practices are slowly trickling down to SP games.
100% agree. People like us need to find another past time activity. Games ain't it.

HTK

Banned
I actually spend a lot of time playing MP as well and maybe this is just the old man get off my lawn side of me but that's not where I want Sony heading.

They created a groove I really enjoy I want them hammering those games out not like this window we are currently in

I simply wont play Sony MP gaas games because 90% of the people I play MP games are on Xbox and PC
But aren't Sony GaaS games also coming to PC day 1?

People keep saying that but where are their big boy SP games the last 12 months and the next 12 months?

Its fine if people a loving this chase to gaas by Sony but like I keep saying it feels to me their SP games are beginning to suffer from it
I'd say the silence is more due to Covid and wanting to shorten the gap between announcement and release.

Sleepwalker

I don't fear GAAS, I just detest Fortnite and its aesthetic that is now predominant in multiplayer games. Give me more Rainbow six siege and The Division and I'm a happy camper.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'd say the silence is more due to Covid and wanting to shorten the gap between announcement and release.
I hope this is the case and we do get another Showcase soon and show us something as the last couple of shows were bleak

But aren't Sony GaaS games also coming to PC day 1?
No idea honestly but likely something much of my group of MP friends would chase regardless

HTK

Banned
I hope this is the case and we do get another Showcase soon and show us something as the last couple of shows were bleak

No idea honestly but likely something much of my group of MP friends would chase regardless
Yeah I thought Sony confirmed all of their GaaS will be Day 1 on PC. I don't see a reason why anyone wouldn't want to hop on TLOU Factions that's on PS5 and PC.

There will always be single player games.

A valid complaint single player gamers have is GaaS infiltrating their single player space. There are numerous examples of strong single player titles taken down a peg or two or sometimes more by service elements thrown in. Shadow of War being the best example I can think of. The original was a masterpiece SP experience. The sequel was designed to be an endless service game with an ever changing amount of content that required a grind, or, of course, booster/money packs you could buy with real money.

Racing games are another prime example. It’s almost impossible to have a closed single player experience now in racers.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Why I fear the GAAS pivot is it LOOKS like its coming at the expense of those AAA single player games
The same pivot happened in 2012-2014 already. And there was another attempt 6 years prior that people just don't know about (it was a fun thing - some of the biggest pubs were literally raining money onto GaaS projects in that era too).

Point being - this industry is nothing if not cyclical - and publishers have just as poor of a short-term memory as gamers do.

The bigger threat to SP gaming is GamePass and its ilk really - if that ever took off in a meaningful way well...

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Grumpy Cat No GIF by Internet Cat Video Festival

Nope, I confirm you I hate online multiplayer now, later and furrever. Going to a forum to interact about games doesn't make you "like MP", that's really one of the stupidiest take coming from nowhere I ever heard 😹
We talk about solo games since child and since games have been created, it begins at school and it's natural to discuss things we love, MP has nothing to do here at all. Online forums are just a new place to discuss them.
Oh, and I hate even more GAAS and mobile games or games with any predatory MTX. I just want to play alone and immerse myself into worlds, and that's also why I love so much VR.
GAAS has been created to milk as much as possible your money, that's it, it doesn't fill a legitimate need, only an artificial one.

Last edited:
You have it backwards. I loved multiplayer games back around 2006 to about 2016. Now they absolutely blow. Neon colors, woke and inclusive characters, un-interesting concepts created to generate mass income from the general population.

Games now are shit. Single player is the only saving grace now until some studious grow their balls again and give me actual war games and other themed multiplayer experiences that are immersive.

Where is a game like Battlefield 3? Or even CoD: World at War? Will games like this happen ever again? More than likely, no. Unfortunately.

Edit: So far Hell Let Loose is the only game that's on every system, that is a truly great multiplayer experience.

Last edited:

This is FUD.

We know they aren't coming at the expense of any of Sony's AAA SP games. The very graph announcing their GaaS investment shows a larger than-normal investment in SP games too. We know the studios working on GaaS are not the same studios are those who've historically made SP games, but rather newly bought studios focussed on GaaS.

You and others are too smart to keep incessantly pushing this narrative that clearly flies in the face of the facts. It reeks of either irrational insecurity or an agenda, tbh.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If we are talking specifically from Playstation, this pivot is worrying because I fear if it's financially successful they might overstep by adding GaaS elements into franchise that have exist without them for years. If they just are broadening their horizons and bringing new franchises in GaaS but still maintain their current focus on singleplayer experiences then I wouldn't mind that.

On Xbox, I feel they are already too deep. Going mobile, buying ABK and Bethesda and their own recent foray into GaaS with Fallout 76 along with attempting to do this in Forza.

I think we're talking about 2 different things here though. Multiplayer and GaaS are not interchangeable. You can have multiplayer without it being GaaS. You can also have singleplayer GaaS games (see Shadow of War).

I'm not inherently against GaaS. I love Warframe, for example. I love Valorant, I like League of Legends and Smite. All these are GaaS and multiplayer. I also like singleplayer games. I don't really understand why there's a fear that one or the other will take over in a general sense. I worry about Playstation a bit only because it's a new proposition and I just don't know how it's gonna go. If they put Naughtydog on GaaS stuff instead of bringing out Last of Us Part 3...then I'm upset. I hope this makes sense.

Sethbacca

Not worried, I just don't expect a lot of it to resonate with me, but I do play a butt ton of GAAS in the form of Rocket League in between all of my single player adventures anyway. It's pretty much my go to when I only have a half hour or so and want to rip out a few games. If Sony can leverage their IPs to give me a similar experience then I'm okay with it as long as it doesn't become the sole focus.

Top Bottom