• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGM Miyamoto Revolution Interview

Striek

I can't believe people are arguing that Zelda looks better than the next gen games. That’s just utterly retarded thinking... sure pull out that awful wall guy pic and yeah it looks like you’re right, but Zelda looks inferior to everything else including the other PD0 shots. Zelda looks gorgeous (barring the embarrassing ground textures) but come on, get real...

I think the point is most next-gen (x360 'alpha') games look like slightly better current-gen games, or current-gen games with a shitload of characters on screen. People rightly expect more than that (PS3 'target' visuals/GoW/PGR3), and in that sense Zelda is very comparable...

olimario

Banned
I don't think Teddman claimed he saw the final controller. He said he caught a 10 second, overhead glance of a wavebird-like controller that had Revolution across it.

480p standard is good news, in my mind.

Glad to hear the controller will also not be super ridiculous as well for 3rd party ports.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Striek said:
I think the point is most next-gen (x360 'alpha') games look like slightly better current-gen games, or current-gen games with a shitload of characters on screen. People rightly expect more than that (PS3 'target' visuals/GoW/PGR3), and in that sense Zelda is very comparable...

Pretty much sums it up.

RX178

Cold-Steel said:
480p standard is good news, in my mind.

Glad to hear the controller will also not be super ridiculous as well for 3rd party ports.
that's why i just bought a scaler. wish it look too bad compare to xbox 360 and ps3. besides, wishes it support wide-screen like fzero gx. too

Syb

heidern said:
Anyway, for once I'll join in with the dubious screenshot comparisons, comparing Zeruda with 3, count 'em, 3 x360 games:

xbox3601_kameo_14.jpg

horseback.jpg

So you're comparing the worst possible Kameo shot with the best Zelda shot? Hardly a fair comparison.

:lol

Gattsu25

Banned
Syb said:
So you're comparing the worst possible Kameo shot with the best Zelda shot? Hardly a fair comparison.

Just the same that comparing a GC and a X360 game isn't a fair comparison, eh? :b

heidern

Syb said:

Oh no. I was comparing a view from behind of Link riding a horse in Zeruda to a view from behind of Kameo riding a horse in Kameo. In the same vein, I compared a side view of link with cool lighting to a side view of wall guy with shit lighting. And then a view of Possesion guy with fire special effects, to Link with water special effects. I think you'll find this to be the fairest comparison you can find, since I compared Zeruda with THREE DIFFERENT x360 games, and tried to get screenshots of highly comparable contents so that quality could be more fairly compared.

I remember Matt from IGN said when he looked at the prototype unit, it just had a normal A/V connector. So the idiot makes a story about that and says not to expect anything in terms of progressive or higher resolutions.

Now Iwata confirms that Nintendo's games will be 480p. Obviously you need component... Something's not adding up here. It has to have component to do 480p, so what's stopping a developer from going higher anyway?

VerTiGo

Banned
God's Hand said:
I remember Matt from IGN said when he looked at the prototype unit, it just had a normal A/V connector. So the idiot makes a story about that and says not to expect anything in terms of progressive or higher resolutions.

Now Iwata confirms that Nintendo's games will be 480p. Obviously you need component... Something's not adding up here. It has to have component to do 480p, so what's stopping a developer from going higher anyway?

If the GameCube had component I don't see why the Revolution can't either. The component was only removed from later GameCube models because no on utilized it, since component cable sales for the GCN were extremely low. I believe Nintendo would include the option for developers to pursue creating games at higher resolutions if they desired to do so, however, it will not be forced upon them. If Nintendo goes with this route, I have no complaints, and I actually believe it would be better than forcing developers to create games at 720p as standard.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
God's Hand said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but has there been any confirmation that there will never, ever be any possibility to output in 720p or 1080p, or that it just won't be standard? I'm pretty sure that they've said they won't include the possibility at all, but does anyone have confirmation on that?

And remember: the rev we saw was a PROTOTYPE. It isn't the final casing, nor did it probably have anything inside of it.

Regardless, I'm sure by 2008/09, we'll be all talking about finally buying HD sets, or talking about our newly purchased ones. At the same time, we'll also be talking about the next consoles. HD is nice now, but I'm betting it's an extra only a small amount of the gaming community can utilize. I would like to see statistics on how many gamers own HDTVs.

VerTiGo

Banned
While I sometimes think Matt has some interesting things to say, it often seems as if he comments on things just to intentiolly piss people off. Nintendo fans should stop acting like he 's actually someone of importance.

sangreal

heidern said:
Oh no. I was comparing a view from behind of Link riding a horse in Zeruda to a view from behind of Kameo riding a horse in Kameo. In the same vein, I compared a side view of link with cool lighting to a side view of wall guy with shit lighting. And then a view of Possesion guy with fire special effects, to Link with water special effects. I think you'll find this to be the fairest comparison you can find, since I compared Zeruda with THREE DIFFERENT x360 games, and tried to get screenshots of highly comparable contents so that quality could be more fairly compared.

Those Posession shots are for PC. The developer doesn't even meet the requirements for a development kit. Also, that game is scheduled for 2007.

GaimeGuy said:
but has there been any confirmation that there will never, ever be any possibility to output in 720p or 1080p,

Yes
"Nintendo's Revolution is being built with a variety of gamers' needs in mind, such as quick start-up time, high power, and ease of use for development and play. It's also compact and sleek, and has beautiful graphics in which to enjoy innovative games," Kaplan says. "Nintendo doesn't plan for the system to be HD compatible as with that comes a higher price for both the consumer and also the developer creating the game. Will it make the game better to play? With the technology being built into the Revolution, we believe the games will look brilliant and play brilliantly. This can all be done without HD."
http://cube.ign.com/articles/624/624200p2.html

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
sangreal said:
Those Posession shots are for PC. The developer doesn't even meet the requirements for a development kit. Also, that game is scheduled for 2007.

Yes

http://cube.ign.com/articles/624/624200p2.html

oh man. that article is kinda stretching it. all nintendo ever said was that they arent requiring HD. if the xbox can output games at resolutions of 720p.. you can be sure the revolution will be able to as well.

sangreal

quadriplegicjon said:
oh man. that article is kinda stretching it. all nintendo ever said was that they arent requiring HD. if the xbox can output games at resolutions of 720p.. you can be sure the revolution will be able to as well.

um, its a direct quote from Kaplan.

I know people don't have much faith in what she says, but she was quite clear in what she meant.

heidern

sangreal said:

"These are in-game shots from the Xbox 2 early proof of concept demo," a Blitz representative told Eurogamer, contradicting reports elsewhere suggesting they're in-game PS3 shots.

sangreal

heidern said:
"These are in-game shots from the Xbox 2 early proof of concept demo," a Blitz representative told Eurogamer, contradicting reports elsewhere suggesting they're in-game PS3 shots.

That doesn't contradict anything I said. He could just as easily call it a PS3 or Revolution proof of concept demo. It is still running on PC. No publisher means no development kit.

OG_Original Gamer said:
Actually Matt said, it had the digital video connector similar to the one that was later removed from the GC.
Guess I'm the idiot. Maybe it was just the rumors beforehand that I remember.

I imagine that the Revolution will have the Digital Video connector only but the new official Nintendo component cable will have some sort of fiber optic / digital coaxial cable (or input) built into it.

KingJ2002

So... nintendo will support EDTV sets as a standard?

smart IMO... since most people own HD Ready TV's instead of HD built in sets.

if they allow developers to created 720p titles and the games looks on par with 360 titles... there will be no problems.

im also glad that all those crazy controller rumors can be put to rest because touch screen controllers is probably the worst idea... ever. People need the sensation of touching a button when playing games... imagine playing a fighting game and having to look down at the controller to know what the hell you're pressing.

here's hoping the revolution will shut up the naysayers and matt c.

you know what, after reading all that, i can believe all the other stuff... but no fucking ethernet jack? are you fucking kidding?

that's worse than MS with no Wifi, because at least you can say "well, wifi costs 75 cents more"

why is it that every console maker seems to be ommitting key aspects from hardware?

Sagitario

OG_Original Gamer said:
Actually Matt said, it had the digital video connector similar to the one that was later removed from the GC.

I hope is the same because I don't want to buy another cable (the GC component cables costed me $60 f'cking dollars and I don't even have a ProScan TV)...

Monk

Banned
You know i think it is a mistranslation. Just because yu have next gen games doesn't make the previous gen's bad.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Monk said:
You know i think it is a mistranslation. Just because yu have next gen games doesn't make the previous gen's bad.
No, I don't think Iwata was using a translator. He was talking all broken english and [words] were used in the transcript all the time.

Conclusion of this thread: Nintendo = doomed.

stone128

Although small news bits and speculation is SUPER FUN, I'd like Nintendo to reveal everything so we can get this over with.

ge-man

The Faceless Master said:
you know what, after reading all that, i can believe all the other stuff... but no fucking ethernet jack? are you fucking kidding?

that's worse than MS with no Wifi, because at least you can say "well, wifi costs 75 cents more"

why is it that every console maker seems to be ommitting key aspects from hardware?

"SM: (No, it) doesn't have an Ethernet port. However, through the USB port, it’s possible to have Ethernet with an adapter. Considering where the machine will be placed in the household, we think it would be difficult for people to route the typical Ethernet line to it."

I don't know how much these things go for if Nintendo will provide a cheap one themselves, but it's not exactly impossible to wire your console.

God's Hand said:

Because the connector is just a small part of supporting HD. ATI's GPU part for Rev will be a modern GPU with most of the features of 360 and PS2's GPUs only optimized for 480p. A big problem devs will have doing HD on Nintendo's box regardless of raw horsepower figures (which no one knows at the moment) will be the fact that the Rev will have a memory configuration too small to fix geometry, textures, etc AND a framebuffer of anything larger than 480p that will be able to look "next-gen".

yoopoo said:
EGM: Speaking of the virtual console, might older offline multiplayer games, like Mario Party, be altered so you could play them online with the Revolution?

SM: We know that we will offer the past games for sure. But we are discussing the possibility of having older games like Mario party playable online. So if our discussion goes well, and if the technical aspects of Revolution also go well, that's possible.

Pretty dumb question, but an even more baffling answer. Games can't just be "made" online, unless you're talking about some awkward control echo scheme (I know some arcade emu on the PC manages it) or server-side emulation outputting video only (no way), without fundamentally altering the code. I fully expect Nintendo to recode or alter a couple of older games to have new features and abilities. But making a lot of them playable online? No way.

Then again, Miyamoto's comments about the original SMB being released with the exact same gameplay, but a different look, was kind of baffling too. Maybe they're using total source-code ports (I really can't see that, would completely limit 3rd party involvement since many of them don't have their old game source anymore), maybe they've got some odd trick up their sleeve we don't know about. But if it is an emu, one or two of the things Miyamoto has said about it just aren't jiving with how emulators actually work, and the limitations on alterations within them.

Is it possible that Miyamoto (edit: or Iwata, apparently) doesn't completely understand the restrictions and requirements of emulating? That a game such as SMB3 needs to have certain things function certain ways, particularly when it relies on an exploit or trick to pull off an effect? He is into the game design side of things more, so maybe he has some nice ideas, but doesn't realize you can't reasonably just tack in online Mario Party play or new SMB graphics unless you're ready to create a new release.

Kulock said:
Pretty dumb question, but an even more baffling answer. Games can't just be "made" online, unless you're talking about some awkward control echo scheme (I know some arcade emu on the PC manages it)
A lot of emulators do it. I've never had a decent enough connection for it to work well, though. (56K and satellite aren't exactly primo for online play in general, though)

Deku

Banned

EGM: Speaking of the virtual console, might older offline multiplayer games, like Mario Party, be altered so you could play them online with the Revolution?

SM: We know that we will offer the past games for sure. But we are discussing the possibility of having older games like Mario party playable online. So if our discussion goes well, and if the technical aspects of Revolution also go well, that's possible.

This feature is most interesting.

Ugh, I know how you feel. Can't get Cable or DSL here either.

But I don't know, Nintendo doesn't seem like the type of company to mess with such a dodgy work-around, and what do you do in a game like Mario Party if it becomes even slightly unsynced? And I assume MP generates random numbers/values for several of the minigames, depending on how those are generated, even if it was by time, even the slightest of delay could mean two different "correct" choices, one on each console, meaning each might see themselves as winning on their side, but have lost on the other side.

Unless they tied framerate and all emulation of that to a constant ping, I don't know. Just seems easier to rebuild the MP games into an online-capable package, but then we're not talking about adding online to a prexisting older game, but making a new one with subtle differences.

wonderfuldays said:
There is other way to create Next Gen visual :lol
Lets go back to year 2002

costumes12.jpg

Actually, you're kind of right. Remember the much-discussed patent Nintendo filed? Didn't some theories say that it was a way of creating a pre-rendered environment, and doing something akin to normal-mapping to create a three-dimensional area out of it without eating up polygons? I don't know if that was ever proven or not, but some in the topics I remember seemed pretty convinced.

Ports would be next-to-nil if Nintendo relied on that as getting the games up to Xbox 360/PS3 level, though. No way 3rd parties would take the extra time and redevelopment work. And who knows, it may just not even work for some types of games.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Kulock said:
Actually, you're kind of right. Remember the much-discussed patent Nintendo filed? Didn't some theories say that it was a way of creating a pre-rendered environment, and doing something akin to normal-mapping to create a three-dimensional area out of it without eating up polygons? I don't know if that was ever proven or not, but some in the topics I remember seemed pretty convinced.

Ports would be next-to-nil if Nintendo relied on that as getting the games up to Xbox 360/PS3 level, though. No way 3rd parties would take the extra time and redevelopment work. And who knows, it may just not even work for some types of games.

Not like many 3RD parties take Nintendo seriously enough to do it now anyways. But games made specifically for Revolution would look pretty good using "cube mapping" and would be cheaper & easier and most likely have shorter dev. times too. This could be an attractive feature once developers get into the "meat" of making games next generation (some will drop like flies due to costs) and could work in Nintendo's favor. Games that are also made in this fasion on Revolution proably couldn't be re-worked to be ported later on (a problem that *plagues* most "exclussive" GCN titles).

This all comes down to if Nintendo can pump out enough of their own games fast enough to garner a large userbase quick enough for 3RD parties to take notice. If Nintendo can do it, and games can be made faster, cheaper & easier with this "cube mapping" shortcut then developers will follow...as long as there's a big enough userbase to make money off of.

Developing Revolution games with this method kills ports from Revolution...not to mention adding whatever "revolutionary" features to their games will make them even less likely to be ported from Revolution (which may or may not be what developers want). BUT...if Nintendo can create comparable hardware, with no memory constraints that can have controls from other systems mapped out onto their controller then Nintendo is on the right track to getting ports from other systems onto Revolution. So far, Nintendo *says* that the controller & hardware is comparable enough for conventional games, but what about memory restrictions?

Top Bottom