• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls 6: Todd Howard Admits Upcoming Sequel Could Be His Last

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Todd has zero effect on the quality of games ....so why should we care exactly?

You don't have to care, but he's been the game director for Skyrim, Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Starfield next. His leadership role has a pretty prominent impact on the games.

It's like saying that removing Kojima from Metal Gear wouldn't have any effect on the quality of those games.

Last edited:

CGNoire

You don't have to care, but he's been the game director for Skyrim, Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Starfield next. His leadership role has a pretty prominent impact on the games.

It's like saying that removing Kojima from Metal Gear wouldn't have any effect on the quality of those games.
Im didnt realize that at all thought he was a corporate figure head for bethesda. This news sucks now that I know that :(

salva

NRAzpac.png

Soodanim

Gold Member
I was just confused. Didnt realize what his part was within the company. Thought he was a talking corporate head. Had no idea how important he was. News saddens me now. :(
In fairness, if you don't know his history he's more commonly known for being several memes than the driving force behind stand out franchises

CGNoire

In fairness, if you don't know his history he's more commonly known for being several memes than the driving force behind stand out franchises
What it was for me outside of me being pretty anti corporate myself the way he talked on stage never struck me as a creative director but more a hypeman. I just made an assumption and instead of confirming it just assumed those who kept praising him will corporate fanboys. Now it all makes sense. This guy was a creative director on some of the best games of all time. Him going is probably going to have dire consequences to there later games. I hope he can stick around atleast through ES7.

Riky

$MSFT
He was saying it was his last Elder Scrolls looking at the timeline of franchise's they make, so he should still be in charge for Fallout 5 and Starfield 2 hopefully.

Man, that must be a sobering throught process to go through.
I had the same thoughts to be honest. Imagine sitting down planning at your desk and then thinking, ‘So after ESVI we’ll start working on this and that and then ESVII.. Oh wow, will that be a game that I work on?’.

It makes you wonder if he had even considered that before, you get so busy in life that sometimes you forget to stop and think about when you need to rest.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I’m glad TES is coming after Starfield rather than Fallout.

Todd is right, it’ll be his last one.

His loss will be as significant as Miyazaki’s would be to From. The studio will become a shadow of its former self.
People can retire while making sure their company has a future. We haven't really seen this in gaming to know how likely it is that a succession plan is successful. Most of the big wigs today had big successes 2 or 3 decades ago. Some even longer. It makes sense to assume that younger talent can fill the void. At Nintendo Miyamoto handed off Zelda and look at how well that went.

Top Bottom