• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Todd Howard says expectations for Starfield changed because everything is an RPG now

All 3 es games had no spears, pole arms, flails, sickles, rat catchers, mauls, or other unique weapons, it was all just the axe, sword, hammer , dagger and add fire or other element to it. Modders fixed that.
Starfield has the same problem apparently, there is only a small selection of some guns, like laser weapons only have 3 total different lasers.

That's just one minor example there are tons more. They really have homogenized everything to make it appeal to mass audiences instead of fine tune it as a good rpg. Its been happening throughout all their games. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, if that is their intent, but it can leave a lot to be desired for rpg fans.
Morrowind definitely has spears.

But yeah, the continued watering down of Elder Scrolls is depressing.

Rhazkul

And yet their RPG games are very shallow and not very complex. I love Skyrim, don't get me wrong, their worldbuilding is fantastic, but i wish it would be more than just "pick a perk and level up either health, stamina or magicka". Same with the Fallout Series, which is basically just a reskin of their high-fantasy games.

Last edited:
The most disappointing thing about Starfied for me after 123 hours of playing the game on PC is how little change there has been in the way the game looks and feels compared with prior BGS games such as Fallout 4 and Skyrim. There has been no real evolution in the way the game plays. It's just their same RPG formula set in space and that doesn't even suit the engine since it then means more reliance of immersion-breaking fast travelling. Even the dialogue scenes are pretty much the same; mostly static and blandly presented. There's no real emotion or depth to their games.

Whereas other developers have strived to make their games more RPG-like, BGS it seems are just content to stick to their same winning formula and are not interested in innovating at all.

Last edited:
Top Bottom