• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serrato

I just found out the ranks needed for the Corvette and Cutter...

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=209378&page=2&p=3222741&viewfull=1#post3222741

Duke and Rear Admiral for the Corvette.

Well shit. Gotta grind 2 more ranks...

Edit : And the Braben himself says in the same thread that 1.5 gonna be released... Yesterday?!?

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=209378&page=3&p=3222789&viewfull=1#post3222789
Sorry to come so late to the thread - but it is correct. We are planning to release 1.5 on Tuesday, on PC, Xbox and Mac.

Well!

Aselith

Should the discount still be showing up for Horizons? The page still show the discount with the date and play it now information added but then the store doesn't give a discount.

Just got my Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS-X in, still waiting on the PS-eye cam and the head tracking clip. Anyone have any recommended controller setups? I found a page with a few but I'm lost as to which to choose. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=178834&p=2757172#post2757172

and in case you're wondering i've been successfully flying with my 360 controller until now, and I'm using Voice Attack with the KICS3 module. I'm goin all in!

I like this one a lot,

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=178834

Elite: Dangerous - T.Flight Hotas X Crab setup v5.37

ed_t_flight_hotas_x_cdypr7.jpg

RedSwirl

Started my second exploration trip. Three systems in and I already ran into another water world. With only the basic discovery scanner though I obviously still have to fly around to actually find the planets.

Just asking, but is the size of the scroll area on the system map a clue? I've noticed the map for each system let's you scroll a different amount of area before stopping, which I thought was a clue to how much is actually there to be revealed. With main sequence systems I guess I should search for the best planets within about 1AU of the star though right?

Hylian7

Yeah, the planets look much improved from before with this newest beta.

Also dumb question, does Horizons come out on Xbone when it comes out on PC or is it later?

Hylian7

Later. Pretty sure Xbox is x86, they need to make Horizons work on it.

Ah, yeah, that is true.

Anyone driving your SRV with a 360 controller, somehow my controls are screwed up and I'm trying to fix it and can't figure it out.

I want RT to be my acceleration axis, and LT to be my deceleration/reverse axis. I have tried setting it to both the buttons and the axes and neither has worked. I tried turning Drive Assist off and my SRV won't move with it off. How did I get this working before?

Burny

Later. Pretty sure Xbox is x86, they need to make Horizons work on it.

So are our gaming PCs' processors - 64 bit variants of that architecture. What changed is that they're now using a 64 bit client. But the Xbone too has a 64 bit processor. That in itself should not be an issue.

I'm more worried about the lack of any mention what they intend to do about the rock details. :p I'm holding them to the Outerra standard here - another alpha that handily spanks their planets in surface details - but the Xbox one might not be held to it.

This will also be another early/unfinished release in terms of how well developed the features are and probably which bugs they manage to fix in this relatively short beta. A whole lot, but there are always a whole lot more. ^^ Still, seing as the game develops into a kind of continuously updated service, I kind of prefer this release structure. Missing things can be added down the line. I'd rather play the thing now, concentrating on the finished/fun features, than in 5 years when it is or is not in a more feature complete or fun state. The way it's now, we can at least complain early. ;-)

Burny

While we're speaking of consoles - I'm wondering if we'll see a PS4 port next year. DB practically hinted a PS4 version, although there is no announcement or timeframe for that.

I spent an hour just floating about this morning and enjoyed every moment of it. Not entire sure how scanning works yet, but hey... there's plenty of time to work it all out!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Going by this, both will need to play on low and have pretty decent (45ish) fps on planets, going by my experience.

I'm still trying to figure out if a 970 is worth buying for VR, given what FD has said.

Wat. Are you saying a 280x is gonna get 45 fps on *low* settings on planets?

I could imagine planets with atmosphere and such would take a toll on your hardware but these barren empty planets? Even in stations I get 65 fps on Ultra on my 280x.
I mean the short devclip David Braben posted was a few months back was running on a 770, which is roughly equal to the 7970/280x

Wreav

Banned
All I'm saying is I went from 55-60 fps on ultra in 1.5 to about 10-15 while on planets in 2.0 with my 660ti.

It's ridiculous.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
All I'm saying is I went from 55-60 fps on ultra in 1.5 to about 10-15 while on planets in 2.0 with my 660ti.

It's ridiculous.

Fair enough, not like the game isn't already full of optimization issues like going from 140 to 60 FPS in supercruise on an Nvidia GPU (or dropping to 15 on AMD due to driver stuff)
Hope they can sort it out.

Edit
[UPDATE] We've discovered that there may be an issue with Geforce Experience's 'Auto-Optimize Your Game' feature and our Beta, which is actually causing a large drop in frame rates. We would not advise using this feature for Elite Dangerous at the moment. The problem is under investigation.

Perhaps that's your issue? Straight up dropping to 10-15 seems kind of insane

Staab

Wat. Are you saying a 280x is gonna get 45 fps on *low* settings on planets?

I could imagine planets with atmosphere and such would take a toll on your hardware but these barren empty planets? Even in stations I get 65 fps on Ultra on my 280x.
I mean the short devclip David Braben posted was a few months back was running on a 770, which is roughly equal to the 7970/280x

Nah, a 280x is the recommended GPU by Frontier for Horizons, which they translate into 60fps @1080p.

Fair enough, not like the game isn't already full of optimization issues like going from 140 to 60 FPS in supercruise on an Nvidia GPU (or dropping to 15 on AMD due to driver stuff)
Hope they can sort it out.

Edit

Perhaps that's your issue? Straight up dropping to 10-15 seems kind of insane

The last time I played the beta my framerate was rock solid 165fps in super cruise (that's the refresh rate of my current monitor) while I still have a significant drop down to 80-90 on live. I don't know if that means much, I'm on Nvidia and my machine is definitely not typical but the same machine very different results in beta vs live, so hopefully they fixed that. I haven't heard much about how AMD users are experiencing the beta.

Edit:

Beta 5 notes:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=209765

Hey all,

Thank you so much for your continued testing and support through the beta. It's looking great and the dev team have been hard at work on another update.

It's going live at 11am GMT and the test servers are likely to be down for roughly an hour and a half. Please do jump on in and give your feedback ahead of the full launch on Tuesday next week.

Enjoy!

***UPDATE #1***

We're now expecting the server work to be completed by 3pm. More updates if as they happen.

Change log...

Fix a crash caused by a POI activating during a transition
Fixed multi-threading crash in physics
Fixed crash in mission manager
Fixed crash in terrain patch generation
Fix for missing texture errors in schematics
Fix missing component error if a player goes offline
OSX crash fix for activity incorrectly trying to load incorrect resources
Fix for starting with the keyboard and mouse control preset causing your throttle controls to go weird
Prevent server error if player tries to buy something they cannot afford
Fix a confirmed cause of players loading into the game up to a kilometer up or down from where they saved
Fix for turrets at illegal PoIs not being legal targets
Turn on main engines by defaultso that dying while landed doesn't respawn you with a disabled ship
Networked the direction of the buggy turret
Add anti ship weapons to match anti buggy weapons in certain POI scenes and appropriate trespass zones
Improved surface details by adding more bump from the normals close up and reducing tiling at distance due to the alpha not being faded out at the same time as the normal
Fixed deep space POIs spawning incorrect POIs
Improve flattening on some deep space POIs
Fix disappearing blue circle for POIs
Fixed skimmers at illegal POIs not having bounties
Attacking settlement generators now counts as Assault, and triggers settlement aggro
Scanning private data links now counts as Major Trespass (up from minor, so now a bounty instead of a fine), and triggers settlement aggro
Updated additional POIs to be visible from the ship and adjusting their radar radius size
Made some of the smaller POIs only visible in the buggy
Don’t render no fly zones on the scanner if you’re in the SRV
When evaluating the terrain for flatness when spawning POIs handle the case when one of the ray casts hits an edge of a triangle and goes through the mesh without hitting it
Adjusted the radar circle offset so that POIs are less likely to be spawned towards the centre
Fixed bounties claimed stat incrementing twice as often as it should be
Fixed redeeming all vouchers for a faction instead of just combat bonds
Fixed some Commodity names in the market trend local news articles
Fixed longitude and latitude using the wrong time to establish location
Rebalance LOD stream priorities to help with some streaming issues
Add support for vacant ship death, and for parking a buggy without a parent ship. Landed ship is now killable except during the vehicle swap process, when it can be damaged but not killed
Fade POIs from the radar down based on altitude so that they're at full opacity at 2.25km altitude and transparent at 2.00km
Fixed issue with launching audio
Reduce the scale size to trigger the cockpit/vehicle Role popup to reduce the frequency of unintentionally opening it
Fixed Refinery Panel to show correct strings at the correct time
Updated SRV cargo panels dividers to be more consistent
Fixed focus issue when going to external / internal / role panel while an inbox message is opened
Brought back the cross hair for scooping
Check to see if we have disconnected from edserver before checking to see if we have permission to be close to a planet
Surface material fix for patchiness
Prevent tiny planets from having a combination of basins, large scale deformation, europa linae, rifts and craters which add up to a depth greater than the radius of the planet itself
Building LOD fixes
Building collision fixes
Fixed hitman chatter table
Fixed cargo items in the cargo merge panel not using loc strings
Mission text fixes
Updated tutorial video names and descriptions
Prevent the attempted parsing of $; on data links when scanned info is empty string
Head of Community Management

Reckheim

FYI, for you folks jumping in for the first time with Horizons, you can play right now!

"Yes that's right. With only 1 week left to go till launch we've decided to allow Horizons pre-orders the chance to get in and play season 1 while they wait. "

I should wait but its killing me, would you happen to know if you get to keep the progress or it works the same way beta works?

RedSwirl

When canning systems is it worth looking more than 1,000 or 2,000 light seconds away from the star (assuming it's main-sequence)? What I've seen in this game, Space Engine, and Cosmos has taught me (I think) that most of what's at that range of heat is ice worlds and whatnot. I guess I could run into a Titan-style world or something. Mind you I still only have the basic discovery scanner.

i do, but i took a break before horizons and i usually dont participate in beta's cause of the progress loss, downloading it tonight tho, super excited.

Oh, that message was for those who don't own the vanilla game but preordered Horizons. They can now play vanilla 1.4 until Horizons 2.0 is released on Tuesday. Beta progress will not contribute to your live account.

Jedi2016

When canning systems is it worth looking more than 1,000 or 2,000 light seconds away from the star (assuming it's main-sequence)? What I've seen in this game, Space Engine, and Cosmos has taught me (I think) that most of what's at that range of heat is ice worlds and whatnot. I guess I could run into a Titan-style world or something. Mind you I still only have the basic discovery scanner.
Further out than that, and you'll be spending too much time just flying around trying to find anything at all. You really should concentrate on saving up for the Advanced scanner, pop a whole system at once. And yes, there can be worthwhile stuff further out, especially if it's a binary system.. that other star 100K light-seconds away might have an Earth-like around it. Or maybe it's a very large hot star, and its habitable zone is actually out of reach of the Basic scanner. And things like black holes and neutron stars tend to be pretty far out and won't be picked up by anything except the Advanced scanner.

Reckheim

Oh, that message was for those who don't own the vanilla game but preordered Horizons. They can now play vanilla 1.4 until Horizons 2.0 is released on Tuesday. Beta progress will not contribute to your live account.

agh, well that sucks then. Oo well, the 15th isn't that far off. I was half expecting for it to be delayed until January.

Burny

The new dev update is worth a read!

Hi everyone,

As you can imagine it’s been a busy week here with the run up to the Horizons and 1.5 update releases. The team has been pushing hard to get as many tweaks and changes into the game as they can. The results of which has been the substantial beta update we released earlier in the week and another is expected today. Once again I’d like to thank everyone for their feedback – it has been phenomenal! While we can’t always respond we do review the feedback and where we agree that a change needs to be made we will do so.

A good example of this was the visibility of POIs from your ship. The original intention was that your ship scanners give you an approximate location for a POI, which you would then track down with the SRV’s wave scanner. Obviously this has a continuity issue in that some of the POIs you would expect to be visible. In this case we agreed with the feedback that the continuity/persistence issue outweighed the impetus to use the SRV, so we’ve changed this in the build earlier this week.

Naturally every action has an opposite reaction and this change has made finding the POIs much too easy and so destabilising the gameplay around POIs. As I write this we’re looking into ways to ameliorate this, so we’ll have some further tweaks to balance this in a later build.

Progress has been really good, and as you may have seen, elsewhere, we are releasing next week. We’re now focusing on stability issues and any high priority issues that come up. You can still keep the feedback coming though as we still have the rest of the season to go for further tweaks and changes as well as new content and features both for Horizons and updating Season One.

Putting on my story hat for a moment the sharp eyed amongst you have noticed a story in GalNet about ‘The Missing’. In brief The Missing is an encompassing term for everyone who has disappeared without trace in deep space. This includes colonists on the ancient generation ships, lost colonies, disappeared scientific expeditions and a host of others. Some will know from our timeline that many thousands of ‘generation ships’ left the safety of Earth beginning in the 24th century onwards, and headed out into what was then largely unknown – with just some data from probes to guide them. The process was completely unregulated, and many were not as well prepared as they should have been. In those days when faster-than-light communication didn’t exist, many of these potential settlers faced terrible risks alone, travelling thousands of light years into the black, not unlike the wagon trains that set out across continental US in the 18th and 19th centuries before them. Not all were successful at founding new worlds. Most were not. Some managed to return with tails of their adventures. Some were lost in deep space, the dead hulk of their ship carrying on an almost endless trajectory ever deeper into space. Others managed to land and survived for many decades before being overtaken by some local disaster. Some may still be alive, just restricted to low power light speed communications, or no comms at all, as their equipment has failed over the centuries in between. We say they have disappeared without trace, but just maybe some will find some traces of them that are still out there…

The plight of The Missing is just one of the things that will become more prominent over the coming year and the Commanders of the Pilots Federation will be pivotal in solving these mysteries. You can expect more news on this soon!

Thanks

Michael

Intrigued to see what becomes of the generation ships. It would be so cool, if they were to add some hidden, derelict generation ship out there in the void. It would be even cooler, if we could board them in season 3 and fight the remaining survivors turned space zombies. Or get missions from some surviving and secluded hippie community ona huge ship wreck. Get us more onion head! ;)

Wreav

Banned
I'm totally not understanding POIs in the beta. Every time I get a blue radar marker, I don't see anything on the ground, and if I head out in the SRV, all I ever find are minerals.

SmartBase

The new dev update is worth a read!

Intrigued to see what becomes of the generation ships. It would be so cool, if they were to add some hidden, derelict generation ship out there in the void. It would be even cooler, if we could board them in season 3 and fight the remaining survivors turned space zombies. Or get missions from some surviving and secluded hippie community ona huge ship wreck. Get us more onion head! ;)

It definitely sounds interesting (like most of their ideas) but it's just going to end up on their nebulous "want to do" list.

Burny

It definitely sounds interesting (like most of their ideas) but it's just going to end up on their nebulous "want to do" list.

Which is quiet extensive:

• Thargoids
  • Other alien races
  • More capital ship usage
  • NPC SRVs
  • NPC multicrew
  • Godlike powers for DDF members?
  • More station variety
  • Asteroid Bases
  • Active Volcanism on planets
  • Meteors

And those are just some standout points I remember, that aren't considered specific season features (like space legs and most likely atmospheric planets). On the other hand, I trust Frontier more to actually tackle the points of their list at some point than I trust CIG to give us civil space line game mechanics in the coming two years.

But Elite seems healthy enough, especially if they can increase the player base with Horizons. It may not be the next update or the next year, but I think the likelyhood is good we'll eventually see those points implemented.

SmartBase

Which is quiet extensive:

• Thargoids
  • Other alien races
  • More capital ship usage
  • NPC SRVs
  • NPC multicrew
  • Godlike powers for DDF membes?
  • More station variety
  • Asteroid Bases
  • Active Volcanism on planets
  • Meteors

And those are just some standout points I remember, that aren't considered specific season feautres (like space legs and most likely atmospheric planets). On the other hand, I trust Frontier more to actually tackle the points of their list at some point than I trust CIG to give us civil space line game mechanics in the coming three years.

But Elite seems healthy enough, especially if they can incerase the player base with Horizons. It may not be the next update or the next year, but I think the likelyhood is good we'll eventually see those points implemented.

Actually fleshing them out and supporting them post-release is where my doubts lie, big releases they hyped like Powerplay and CQC are all but forgotten. But you're right, the game's healthy and the company's fairly well managed (my professional opinion, if you can call it that) so unlike the other one you mentioned we can be a bit more certain about content in the medium term.

owlbeak

I'm totally not understanding POIs in the beta. Every time I get a blue radar marker, I don't see anything on the ground, and if I head out in the SRV, all I ever find are minerals.
Mostly the same for me. I've found a few ship wrecks with some canisters and that's about it, but mostly I land in the blue circle and drive around and find nothing but minerals.

You'd think as you get closer to the surface, the blue area should shrink or something, or at least show up on the SRV radar so you know where to go. I guess that's kinda the point of the fix they did in Beta 4 of being able to see certain POIs from your ship if you're close enough.

RedSwirl

Further out than that, and you'll be spending too much time just flying around trying to find anything at all. You really should concentrate on saving up for the Advanced scanner, pop a whole system at once. And yes, there can be worthwhile stuff further out, especially if it's a binary system.. that other star 100K light-seconds away might have an Earth-like around it. Or maybe it's a very large hot star, and its habitable zone is actually out of reach of the Basic scanner. And things like black holes and neutron stars tend to be pretty far out and won't be picked up by anything except the Advanced scanner.

I'm trying to save up for the surface scanner first so I'll make money faster. While doing that I'm sticking to medium-sized main-sequence stars (F, G, and K). Those seem most likely to have good planets, and their habitable zones seem to be just within the range of the basic scanner. They're also probably safer to fuel scoop since I only have a basic scoop right now. I'm also only doing lone stars right now so I won't have to travel hundreds of AU within a system.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Fixed deep space POIs spawning incorrect POIs

I hope that fixes the crashed ships and bunkers and drones and stuff from spawning thousands of light years from manned space!

Or to find lost colonies with special... things. Who knows. I like those ideas!

It's just a hunch I have, but a lot of us explorers feel that FDev is building up to spring these "missing" on our Distant Worlds Expedition somehow. The devs have taken an unusual interest in our trip, and these "missing" posts started appearing on GalNet soon after we announced the expedition.

I'm debating taking weapons out there on my Asp....

Serrato

At some point I expect deep explorers to have weapons on them since ''people'' and.. thargoids and other... things... might attack them. eventually

Just felt the need to post this again. I love seeing stuff like this from the game. Have yet to experience this myself but still trying and hoping I get lucky.

Federation and Imperial capital ships jumping into a battle in a high intensity conflict zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de78Odrw6KE

A few pages ago I asked people what they think could be done, in the next year and without major gameplay additions (like walking around for example), to add depth to the existing gameplay. Whether that depth is through mechanics, immersion, world-building, etc., doesn't matter.

I think a sense of progression and achievement is completely missing from the Combat "career" in the game. You get ranks and all that, but it feels more like you're filling up bars and not actually building a career.

This extends to Conflict Zones. The problem with them is that it feels like you're not really making any impact, because it's just endless respawning enemies. Cap Ships help but also kinda hurt. I hate how they're immobile. It just feels like they're purposeless, except for the FANTASTIC spectacle.

Since I still don't have a lot of time, for combat specifically, some ideas or changes I'd like to see--specifically, for the "military career" concept:
  • Give us *actual* careers! If you want to join the Navy, you have to head to a recruiting/military station (new station type/model, perhaps?) and enlist
  • Like the actual military, maybe there are a few different positions/assignments. Scouts for recon patrols, Special Forces (maybe made up of Vultures or something), etc.
  • Enlisting actually gives you responsibilities unique to your role. That could mean "Scout and clear X location" this week, it could mean "Assist in assault of X system", etc.
  • As you rank up, you can get rewards in the form of:
    • Credit bonuses (based on performance, as well as rank up)
    • New unique decals
    • New unique skins
    • Enhanced modules
    • Perhaps other customizations--interior ship customization? New HUD colors, fonts, design, etc.
    • Eventually, fuel, armor, and ammo costs are refundable by the military
  • Small details: as you rank up, stations and other military ships address you by your title. Maybe if you're high enough rank and have enough renown, some stations or ships have an RNG roll to not even bother scanning you based on your rep or "trust". Could make a hidden life as a smuggler that much more interesting.
  • NPCs that you can establish relationships with (AI wingmen, your Commanding Officer, etc.) would, of course, be fantastic, but that seems like it's not coming until late 2016, if that

Conflict Zones need an overhaul. I get that some of this won't work now, given their instanced nature, but as I said, the main problems (to me):
  • No sense of impact/progression: When I go and destroy 50 ships in a Conflict Zone, how is that impacting the enemy? It's hard to tell when they seemingly have an unlimited supply. How is the system affected? Conflict Zones don't ever seem to end, or they do so without really understanding "why".
  • No sense of direction/sense: CZs are just a clusterfuck of ships. Sometimes there are Wings, but they don't always seem to stick together, and sometimes there are Cap Ships, but they're just things to avoid. Are there high value ships? Is a renowned general in the battle?
Some ideas to address these:
  • NPCs: I'd love a Total War-esque reputation system for certain units or NPCs in the military. It would be cool for these NPCs to develop into actual characters, who recognize your ship if you've fought them before, have different characteristics (as opposed to just an "Elite" or combat ranking, they could be "Careless" or "Tactical" or something that impacts how they fly and fight), etc.
  • High priority targets: Identify some known high priority targets (based on kill count, rank, or some of the above) that can help turn the tide of the conflict
  • Integrate cap ships: Capital ships should be there for a reason. They should move around! Not necessarily flying all of the place, but tracking or making sure it's in optimal firing position, at the very least. Let the cap ship communicate with all ships of the same side so it can give a distress call if someone is destroying it's defenses, let the cap ship suggest targets, etc.
  • Economic impacts: I don't know how this is handled right now, but attach actual resources to military movements. The more ships involved, the more expensive the engagement is for the military. Fuel, ammo, repair costs, etc.--these should be considerations. It's possible they already are, but they aren't clearly communicated. I wouldn't want a Powerplay-esque level of meta detail or management, but just something that says "Hey, this conflict is getting super expensive--maybe you should help end it by doing XYZ and we'll give you a commendation"
  • System and wider impacts: ideas, some more superficial than others!
    • Raids: In an early dev diary, someone talks about how, in Anarchy systems, you might jump to the system and have to fly through a battle in order to get to safety. This stuff never happens, mostly because of how instances are designed around SC, and battles don't happen in SC. However, if a faction is trying to take over a system, why are stations themselves not being raided? How cool would it be to defend waves of enemies as they jump in and destroy all stations security?
    • Ambushes: Take a missions that says "intel suggestions a squad of ships is jumping at 1000 hours at the Nav Beacon--intercept and destroy them". This would require you to patrol the Nav Beacon in SC and interdict the squad before they reach the CZ and, of course, you must destroy them
    • Reputation: By this, I don't mean any bar to fill--rather, maybe you get a cool title based on your performance in the recent conflict. "CMDR Anton Sugar, Breaker of Pythons" or something like that. Play into the lore, have NPCs recognize you, etc. This isn't even in the case of a win, either. Maybe if you lose, some systems are sympathetic to your efforts and gives a slight military discount or something if you repair/refuel/rearm at their station
    • Population impact: If a System is successfully defended, they should be ecstatic! Launch space fireworks every so often from stations, change the lights to the colors of the Federation/Empire/Alliance, etc. for a few days, send celebration parades through the system, reduce the cost of goods, etc.

Naturally, ideally, all of this would align with CGs and Powerplay. I just think that the game needs more "personality" in a way, or something to make the populated areas feel more alive. It's already the best "space loneliness" simulator :)

It's an interesting balance. The entire game is kinda focused on "you are unimportant--you are not the center of this world" but almost to a negative degree. The player needs to feel important, in some way.

Okay, gotta go back to work. That's just me spitballing--I fucking LOVE this game, but it could learn a lot from RPGs, as RPG elements in modern shooters, surprisingly. Give us more random events that give us chances to prove ourselves and feel relevant, rather than variations on farming! Give us people to interact with (relationships still exist in the future, right)! And add purpose to the content so it feels more like it has relevance to the system and less like "this bar is filled to a level that indicates civil war is imminent". If I'm enlisted in the Navy, treat me like I'm enlisted in the Navy!

I didn't cover anything other than military here, but I'd love different "guilds" you could join that have perks, their own missions, etc. There is a lot of overlap here with Powerplay, but PP, while fun, still feels disconnected from the universe, in a way.

EDIT: Speak of the devil.

The military ranks is something we want to revisit at a later stage. I'd like to see them become more like a career.

Michael

Unrelated: beta 3 vs beta 5 (from reddit--ignore the lines, those are buggy racing routes)

Nj3SQSH.jpg

DrBo42

Honestly I kinda prefer the before in that comparison. Seems like the noise in that alpha is too much and makes it look kinda bad IMO. Tough because they can't really quality control the generation. Definitely need to bring something else to the table for ridges and cliff and overhangs etc. I wish they'd comment on it rather than letting us wonder if the engine just can't do it or what so we can stop bitching either way.

You're a tough nut to crack, DrBo42.

Right pic looks a thousand times better to me, largely because the detail helps define the scale. I agree, some of the details almost look like an oversharpened image, but I'd take it 8 days a week over the left.

oktarb

Very new to reading up on this game. I've played EVE a good deal and know that its vastly different but some parallels can be drawn.

Is a joystick/thruster a must? I tried key board and mouse (training) and ran screaming away.

Is this really an MMO, almost seems like an single player game like Rebirth. How often do you run into other players and how aggressive is PvP? In EVE its insane.

Is there exploration? Can I find some strange alien artifacts?

Wreav

Banned
You're a tough nut to crack, DrBo42.

Right pic looks a thousand times better to me, largely because the detail helps define the scale. I agree, some of the details almost look like an oversharpened image, but I'd take it 8 days a week over the left.

Part of the reason it looks oversharpened is because of the size of that image being compressed down.

Beta 4 and beyond looks superb in motion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom