• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an FYI, for those wanting "space fighting", it definitely can happen, but think of this game more of the sim racer of the racing game world. Some people have a blast with Forza or GT while others need the Burnout or Need For Speed experience. This leans way towards the sim side rather than the arcade side.

That's not a deterrent, but just be advised you'll be spending some time before you get a great ship outfitted the way you want (and it can be confusing what you'll want/need, etc ... ). It's not the type of game where you get to select out of a selection of ships that have certain weapons, etc ... YOU have to earn, buy and outfit all of that ... and they can be destroyed (which you can then pay insurance to get your ship back).

Again, I'm not saying this as a downside or anything, just be aware that this game is more sim than an "Ace Combat in space".

metalhead79

Neo Member
My HOTAS X will be here in a couple days. Very excited. I haven't used a HOTAS setup since my X45 about 10 years ago.

Voice Attack. Is it worth it? Easy to setup? Do I need Voice Attack and the Voice Pack or....?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Voice Attack. Is it worth it? Easy to setup? Do I need Voice Attack and the Voice Pack or....?

Definitely worth it and it's super easy to set up. You don't need a voice pack unless you want it talking back to you for some reason.

When I get home from work I'll see if I can post my voice attack profile somewhere if people want it. It's got all the basic stuff in there, my favorite being a voice command to request docking.

My HOTAS X will be here in a couple days. Very excited. I haven't used a HOTAS setup since my X45 about 10 years ago.

It depends on how many buttons you have and if you want to go into menus often. I think it's pretty much a no-brainer for $8. There is a demo version and I've been using that and will pick it up when that expires.

Plus it works with other games and general PC interaction. For example I can say "Computer, time to party" and it starts playing the Top Gun theme song.

SummitAve

Banned
Just an FYI, for those wanting "space fighting", it definitely can happen, but think of this game more of the sim racer of the racing game world. Some people have a blast with Forza or GT while others need the Burnout or Need For Speed experience. This leans way towards the sim side rather than the arcade side.

That's not a deterrent, but just be advised you'll be spending some time before you get a great ship outfitted the way you want (and it can be confusing what you'll want/need, etc ... ). It's not the type of game where you get to select out of a selection of ships that have certain weapons, etc ... YOU have to earn, buy and outfit all of that ... and they can be destroyed (which you can then pay insurance to get your ship back).

Again, I'm not saying this as a downside or anything, just be aware that this game is more sim than an "Ace Combat in space".

I dunno if I necessarily agree. You can start shooting and blowing up shit from the very start.

If the game itself had a voice AI, that's be really sweet. Do you think they could like license out Google Now or Cortana and modify it?

But I personally hate spending too much configuring stuff. Absolutely hate if I need 3 or 4 things running to play a game.

Been a while since I was in the Hauler, but was certainly a shock. The other thing I hate is it's a double seater cockpit, and the captain's chair is British style on the right side of the cabin. RAGE!

It's almost like the game was made by an English development studio. D:

I dunno if I necessarily agree. You can start shooting and blowing up shit from the very start.

Yeah, of course. But outfitting your ship is like tuning your car in a sim racer. You can race in the default ship all day but you'll eventually find yourself outclassed by other players who "play the sim game".

Bounties are still something you have to travel to, takes fuel, repairs, ammo (although I hear that has been greatly adjusted so certain types don't cost a lot) all costs.

I didn't say it's not possible to run around blow shit up, far from it. But I know I have a few friends that are looking for "Burnout" in space and I don't think this is it. Almost every play session, every video, you will see it's either edited to not show the time you spend in menus or sections are clipped such as overshooting something and taking 4 minutes real time to just get to an area or it's not edited and you can see that travelling and menus "can" take up a lot of the time.

It really is a "play how you want" type of game. But I know the CGI trailer can mislead people and it's best to explain all aspects of the game and what it entails. You don't log in and select a killer ship and are on your way. You log in, have 1000 credits and the base ship with no bells and whistles. From there you have to earn everything. Which is awesome IMO, but might turn off others.

Ronnie

Banned
So how have the servers been today then? I can't play until this evening but so far not hearing any complaints?

Corgi

Banned
am right about to cave... when i just remember the last space game that promised to be accessible and controller friendly.... X Rebirth.

Such a sour taste in my mouth.

Surely this is better than that... right?

Actually haven't read any impressions/reviews. any good ones?

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
am right about to cave... when i just remember the last space game that promised to be accessible and controller friendly.... X Rebirth.

Such a sour taste in my mouth.

Surely this is better than that... right?

Actually haven't read any impressions/reviews. any good ones?

It's so much better than any of the X games. Let's not sully the thread with talk of that series ;)

onken

Just spent the last 3 hours learning the controls and goggling. This game is so enveloping it blows my mind. Incredible stuff.

Raytow

That's why Freespace and Wing Commander will be sorely missed, as much as I like being a space trucker, a warhero game with some nice cheesy cinematics, and galaxy saving missions will be great to have.

Burny

That's why Freespace and Wing Commander will be sorely missed, as much as I like being a space trucker, a warhero game with some nice cheesy cinematics, and galaxy saving missions will be great to have.

Enter the spiritual successor to Wing Commander: Star Citizen (at least the SP campaign "Squadron 42"). The prospects for wannabe spaceship pilots on the PC are outstanding with Elite and Star Citizen at the moment. :D

I think Conflict Zones are the only way to get into larger scale battles.

Excuse the poor gif:

vMNMNl.gif

Saganator

So I already have the game, just haven't played in a while. I shelved it until I can get a HOTAS setup. Exploring wasn't in the game when I played it last, how viable is it to do mostly exploring? Do you make good money and can I start exploring with just a basic ship? Is it rewarding? I'm not really interested in doing a lot of combat, I tried hauling/trading and it was pretty boring. How is exploring compared to hauling/trading, more or less boring?

ys45

I'm gonna try that voice attack application tonight, I'm gonna try to find a good tutorial video.
Or if anyone got a good tutorial to recommend

Ronnie

Banned
For those who have played the release 1.0 version, when it asks you to enter a commander name, is it just 1 space or does it expect you to put first name and last name?

So I already have the game, just haven't played in a while. I shelved it until I can get a HOTAS setup. Exploring wasn't in the game when I played it last, how viable is it to do mostly exploring? Do you make good money and can I start exploring with just a basic ship? Is it rewarding? I'm not really interested in doing a lot of combat, I tried hauling/trading and it was pretty boring. How is exploring compared to hauling/trading, more or less boring?

Exploring is the same exact thing as hauling/trading just without the actual hauling/trading aspect! But you don't have specific locations you need to go to. I haven't seen the big payouts from my research on exploration. You have to have data from areas more than 20Ly away (I think it was 10, then 20 ... not sure if it's changed). I'd imagine it would be much more the further you get out as long as it hasn't been sold to that specific location ... and traveling that far in one jump will require a better ship than the starting one but you can "plot a course" and just jump - jump - jump away and just fuel scoop and do minor repairs on your ship as you go.

RaptorGTA

I highly encourage anyone complaining about the controls to get a HOTAS controller. It is a game changer. The game is essentially a space simulator, and is designed to be played with a HOTAS.

The Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X is less than $50 and will solve all of your problems. I honestly wouldn't try playing it with anything less, you're kind of bringing a knife to a gun fight.

THIS! Mouse and keyboard were ok for getting started..but with a HOTAS is a game changer.

Wreav

Banned
You'll need at least a million credits for the best discovery scanner, so there's hauling to be had before you attempt to make a career out of it.

I personally don't think the payouts are worth it, but then again, what's your endgame as an explorer? A better ship won't really help that much, maybe just jump range upgrades?

For those who have played the release 1.0 version, when it asks you to enter a commander name, is it just 1 space or does it expect you to put first name and last name?

You can put whatever you want, including spaces or no spaces.

JambiBum

I've played for 12 hours on and off tonight/this morning. Decided to work towards a cobra since I have all of those free paint jobs and I wanted to go from my original station (don't remember the name) to Sol. That trip alone was 150+ lys away. Ended up finishing the day at good old Dahan even though I started no where near it. Even ended up ramming someone on accident near a station as I was leaving. Don't know if he crashed or not.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
Unfortunately. They've said they plan to add automated mining drones, but we don't know when that's coming.

yeah I was so excited to play it (i am a beta backer) but when I tried mining it was just awful. The trading/mission structure was fun but desperately needed some variation and more stuff "to do" . I'll see how release looks

+1 for the Thrustmaster X HOTAS - just a perfect low cost investment for this game and it works awesome. I don't know how anyone plays this on a non-hotas setup.

Buggy Loop

These buggers just cost me 400k in cargo

ANWgfQ4.png

Holy shit, intentional blocking? Shouldnt they have a timer too for being there? Couldnt push them with boost and max shield? What happened, your timer ran out and the station started to aggro?

Orgun

Holy shit, intentional blocking? Shouldnt they have a timer too for being there? Couldnt push them with boost and max shield? What happened, your timer ran out and the station started to aggro?

Stuck AI. Not sure why they weren't getting a warning for blocking the slit. I tried to sneak through, got stuck on one of them. I got the warning, it ran out and the station blew me away

Sinatar

Their trespassing timer would run out before your undock timer would, if he'd waited they'd have been destroyed.

Jesus that's crazy. Does... Does that happen often?

Edit: Oh so its just right there then. I thought they were like "you have one minute to park. Or die. Your choice."

LtOrange

The sandbox universe and massive multiplayer is what interests me most in this game. Going to keep my eye on this and hopefully pick it up early next year.

Sinatar

Jesus that's crazy. Does... Does that happen often?

Edit: Oh so its just right there then. I thought they were like "you have one minute to park. Or die. Your choice."

Well for docking you have 10 minutes to dock. If you fail to do so in that timeframe AND you're *inside* the station, you will get that same trespassing warning and be destroyed in 30 seconds.

Pro Tip: Don't ever ever ever forget to request docking permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom