• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite: Dangerous |OT| Every Man's Sky

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the preorder goodies, is there a page with details of them since the final release is out already.

Assumably just the ones in the OT. But additional goodies may mean down the road we may get something like a free skin or something along those lines.

So I am in the process of ordering an EDTracker. While it's great in the Rift, I don't know the menus, still have to type on the KB for destinations and that Galaxy Map ... confusing as shit. Needs a tutorial just for that! But I still can't play in the Rift for more than an hour and I definitely spend more than an hour in this game.

Has anybody done those"Black Box" missions? I spent an hour trying to find one and ended up just wasting time! "It's in _____ Star System" ... fly to _____ Star System and .... hrm, now what? Do you just look for signals or something? I really need to get super cruise down, I overshoot shit and then I'm stuck spending like 5 minutes trying to get back to where I was ...

Now that I'm actually trying to 'do something' in the game, I'm realizing how much I ignored playing around in the Rift.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
So I am in the process of ordering an EDTracker. While it's great in the Rift, I don't know the menus, still have to type on the KB for destinations and that Galaxy Map ... confusing as shit. Needs a tutorial just for that! But I still can't play in the Rift for more than an hour and I definitely spend more than an hour in this game.

Has anybody done those"Black Box" missions? I spent an hour trying to find one and ended up just wasting time! "It's in _____ Star System" ... fly to _____ Star System and .... hrm, now what? Do you just look for signals or something? I really need to get super cruise down, I overshoot shit and then I'm stuck spending like 5 minutes trying to get back to where I was ...

Now that I'm actually trying to 'do something' in the game, I'm realizing how much I ignored playing around in the Rift.

The "find illegal item XYZ" missions are kind of broken at the moment, and to be honest are not well designed in the first place.

The idea is that you fly to the specified system, look around for Unidentified Signal Sources, and then check them out, hoping to find the black box or whatever. Trouble is, it's usually just some wreckage with other items, not the thing you're looking for. I tried one of these missions, went to four USSs, found stuff I wasn't looking for, and gave up. People who have found them have also not been able to turn them in to complete the mission.

Not only are they not working, it's also not good game design. I want to track the object down, not hope that it gets randomly generated.

Minor complaint though, does nothing to derail this from being my GOTY 2014.

Samus4145

Natively or are you using an Xinput emulator (PS4Tool etc.)?

We use the DS4tool at the office. Allows me to use the DS4 wired or through bluetooth. Never had a problem in any game, besides seeing Xbox button prompts in the majority of games.

JambiBum

The "find illegal item XYZ" missions are kind of broken at the moment, and to be honest are not well designed in the first place.

The idea is that you fly to the specified system, look around for Unidentified Signal Sources, and then check them out, hoping to find the black box or whatever. Trouble is, it's usually just some wreckage with other items, not the thing you're looking for. I tried one of these missions, went to four USSs, found nothing and gave up. People who have found them have also not been able to turn them in to complete the mission.

Not only are they not working, it's also not good game design. I want to track the object down, not hope that it gets randomly generated.

I haven't had any issues with these missions. Sometimes I may have to look at more than one source but that doesnt' happen often. I've never had an issue with turning them in either. Although I do get issues with missions where it will say #destinationstationname instead of the actual place. I usually don't take those though.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I haven't had any issues with these missions. Sometimes I may have to look at more than one source but that doesnt' happen often. I've never had an issue with turning them in either. Although I do get issues with missions where it will say #destinationstationname instead of the actual place. I usually don't take those though.

This is good to hear! Maybe I'll give them another try.

Wreav

Banned
Is there going to be a GAF wing thread, or are we waiting on that until wings are actually in the game?

Great OT, sorry I couldn't get back to you last night!

trillbo

Is it a framerate issue for you in the rift, or are you just susceptible to motion sickness? I have a rock solid 75fps in 99% of this game (stutters a bit when looking downwards in some stations for some reason) and I'm regularly having 4-6 hour stints in the rift. Typing can suck, but my touch typing skills have gone up dramatically since using it.

I tried using my monitor (32'' 1440p) and a trackIR when they broke rift support back in one of the beta patches, and I only lasted 5 minutes before getting frustrated. Everything's so tiny and your view is so restricted! No way can I go back to a monitor for this game now, but I understand if you're not hitting 75fps it would be nasty.

Is it a framerate issue for you in the rift, or are you just susceptible to motion sickness? I have a rock solid 75fps in 99% of this game (stutters a bit when looking downwards in some stations for some reason) and I'm regularly having 4-6 hour stints in the rift. Typing can suck, but my touch typing skills have gone up dramatically since using it.

I tried using my monitor (32'' 1440p) and a trackIR when they broke rift support back in one of the beta patches, and I only lasted 5 minutes before getting frustrated. Everything's so tiny and your view is so restricted! No way can I go back to a monitor for this game now, but I understand if you're not hitting 75fps it would be nasty.
What's funny is that if say, someone else is playing, and you're looking at the mirror on the screen, you realize that what's being shown on the Rift at any given point I actually even more claustrophobic than just the regular monitor, but the rift makes it feel soooo huge and open.

Wreav

Banned
Anyone know if there is anything to do with unexplored planets and stuff or can you not "explore" them yet?

You scan them to varying degrees, based on how nice of a scanner you've purchased. You can then sell this data to cartographic companies that want this data. The deeper the scan, the more money you get.

JambiBum

You scan them to varying degrees, based on how nice of a scanner you've purchased. You can then sell this data to cartographic companies that want this data. The deeper the scan, the more money you get.

I thought that might be it. I knew you could sell info to places. I'll have to get a better scanner later on then.

Landing is hard until you get used to it. Just remember to take it slow until you get the hang of it though and you'll be ok. Same thing with entering a station.

Or you can always be lazy and buy a docking computer that will do everything for you :)

trillbo

I thought that might be it. I knew you could sell info to places. I'll have to get a better scanner later on then

And depending on which controlling faction you sell the data to, they will eventually expand to that system and set up outposts and eventually starports, if the system has decent commodities etc

according to the devs anyway

Marc

Great OP, thanks for the info!

Well I got it downloaded after having to use the combat demo launcher, couldn't get rift to work so tried DIrect mode which then said I needed to upgrade the runtime version. Did that, and the DIrect mode says it isn't working fully yet and do see performance issues. In the menus for some reason you can't pick 75 FPS, only 60 so that is probably the culprit. Tried going back to my original set up of extended, and the blacks are atrocious. I don't know if that has to do with the new version of the runtime or Elite, but basically huge pixellation of the black areas, looks ugly as sin.

Tried playing without the rift, but just not the same, can't go back now. :( Not sure how to fix that one, might see if I can force 75FPS on Direct mode but not sure how. Still, will get performance issues probably and sickness.

Carcetti

I have a friend who backed this game and I'm considering getting it for some co-op fun. How easy is it to do that and is there some group activity to be done? There has to be some upside for that removal of the offline mode, right?

Mik2121

I thought that might be it. I knew you could sell info to places. I'll have to get a better scanner later on then

This might be absolutely wrong, but it seems like when you scan a planet and try to sell it, the closer the new place is to that planet, the more money they give you? Of course, you have to get 20 light years away from the scanned planet, but after that it seems like the prices might somewhat go down? Also I believe the prices depend on the content too.

Wreav

Banned
I have a friend who backed this game and I'm considering getting it for some co-op fun. How easy is it to do that and is there some group activity to be done? There has to be some upside for that removal of the offline mode, right?

No grouping mechanics until Q1 2015.

Wreav

Banned
Meh. I guess getting out of early access these days means nothing since you can just add features in later builds as extras. The idea of a 'complete' game at launch keeps getting more dead.

I'd still rather play ED in its current state than wait 4 more years for SC.

Carcetti

I'd still rather play ED in its current state than wait 4 more years for SC.

Oh I have tons more faith in Elite than in Star Citizen. The latter is theoretically my dream game but it sounds more and more like a monster that's escaped from the control of its makers.

JambiBum

Meh. I guess getting out of early access these days means nothing since you can just add features in later builds as extras. The idea of a 'complete' game at launch keeps getting more dead.

You can still group up just fine. There just isn't a "join as group" option yet. There's a friends list and a group list, but if you want to play with someone in the same area you just have to actually meet up.

Vlodril

No grouping mechanics until Q1 2015.

this space mmo has no gorup mechanics? at all? thats insane :p whats with these games that take the worst parts of mmo's and drop the only good ones (like destiny although i guess you could at least play with friends in that).

You can't join a friend at all? there is no list? what exactly?

Wreav

Banned
You can still group up just fine. There just isn't a "join as group" option yet. There's a friends list and a group list, but if you want to play with someone in the same area you just have to actually meet up.

All you can do is add someone to a friend's list. They don't show up differently on the radar or on the HUD, and you aren't guaranteed to even land in the same instance if you drop out of supercruise together.

Darklord

Banned
Still not sure if this is worth picking up yet or not. Does it feel finished and ready? And does it have a hard learning curve?

Wreav

Banned
Still not sure if this is worth picking up yet or not. Does it feel finished and ready? And does it have a hard learning curve?

It's the most immersive VR space sim ever created. It's as fun a dogfighter as X-Wing vs Tie Fighter. You can be a space pirate.

tumblr_mc4oauzdya1rf11kxo1_400.gif

The idea is that you fly to the specified system, look around for Unidentified Signal Sources, and then check them out, hoping to find the black box or whatever. Trouble is, it's usually just some wreckage with other items, not the thing you're looking for. I tried one of these missions, went to four USSs, found stuff I wasn't looking for, and gave up. People who have found them have also not been able to turn them in to complete the mission.

Hrm, I did read some people having those type of issues with turning them in but I think that's random. It's just the location of the damn thing. Think I'll probably just skip them for now, thanks for the replies!

More of just a comfort thing. I don't really like wearing it on my head for long periods of time and I am constantly looking at my HOTAS cheat sheet for certain mapped buttons, checking the iPad for trading routes/tips and such. It's just annoying having to take it off and on a lot. I'm still pretty early in "learning ED" so I imagine my time will increase in the Rift as I become more familiar with the game and the controller.

I also play on a 60" HDTV with my HOTAS attached to a really comfortable IKEA chair, so the size isn't much of a problem. Surprised your 32" seemed "tiny"! I have a 27" monitor I regularly game on when I don't send it to my HDTV. FPS isn't an issue (that I can see). I had it dialed down a bit but I have an R9 290 OC with an i5-3570k (slightly OC'd) as well as an SSD and 16Gb RAM.

My biggest thing is that I honestly feel like I'm in a cockpit with buttons, an instruction manual, it's like in those movies where you see somebody jump into a chopper or something they haven't flown and quickly read the instructions.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Oh I have tons more faith in Elite than in Star Citizen. The latter is theoretically my dream game but it sounds more and more like a monster that's escaped from the control of its makers.

Sums up my feelings exactly. SC was my dream game too, but looking at it now, I'm pretty suspicious of it. It's a very, very good thing Elite came along.

Corgi

Banned
Questions:

are there dope huge planets to fly around? Sell me on this!

Pretty pictures is all it takes lol.

There seems to be a big list of features upcoming. Are they all going to be free?

3570k gtx 780 16gb enough to run this at a decent clip at 1440p?

How is the mouse and keyboard control? Those seem to be my preferable way to play space sims.

What does this game offer differently from other space trading games of the last decade like darkstar one besides the visual bump?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
this space mmo has no gorup mechanics? at all? thats insane :p whats with these games that take the worst parts of mmo's and drop the only good ones (like destiny although i guess you could at least play with friends in that).

You can't join a friend at all? there is no list? what exactly?

Correct, mostly.

Although they have been marketing Elite as an MMO, it's not in the modern sense at all an MMO. It is massively multiplayer online but it has none of the social features that have become standard to modern MMO's. Elite is more of a single player online sandbox game where you can see other players from time to time but not really interact with them in any meaningful way other than combat. The devs have said that social features like wings and chat channels are coming, but no timeframe as of yet has been talked about.

I wish they never would have mentioned the MMO word, it's going to confuse and disappoint many people I'm afraid.

Questions:

are there dope huge planets to fly around? Sell me on this!

Pretty pictures is all it takes lol.

There seems to be a big list of features upcoming. Are they all going to be free?

3570k gtx 780 16gb enough to run this at a decent clip at 1440p?

How is the mouse and keyboard control? Those seem to be my preferable way to play space sims.

What does this game offer differently from other space trading games of the last decade like darkstar one besides the visual bump?

- yes, lots of pretty pictures and planets to fly around
- expansions will be sold, not free
- Elite is not too demanding hardware wise, you should be fine
- M&K work okay (some people prefer it), but not as good as a HOTAS setup or even a Xbox pad
- never played darkstar

Wreav

Banned
I wish they never would have mentioned the MMO word, it's going to confuse and disappoint many people I'm afraid.

Is the game massive? Yes. Can you see 31 other players at any given time? Yes. Ok, welp, we got ourselves an MMO.

There are more "MMO-esque" mechanics coming in the first expansion, like player to player ship docking, trading, etc. They've always said these things were coming, just not at launch.

Is the game massive? Yes. Can you see 31 other players at any given time? Yes. Ok, welp, we got ourselves an MMO.

There are more "MMO-esque" mechanics coming in the first expansion, like player to player ship docking, trading, etc. They've always said these things were coming, just not at launch.

MMO started with games like Ultima Online where you had hundreds and thousands of people together.

You didn't ever hear anyone call Quake or Unreal Tournament a Massivelu Multiplayer Online Shooter back in the day. We have had 32 player multiplayer games for a long ass time now.

Seanspeed

Banned
Sums up my feelings exactly. SC was my dream game too, but looking at it now, I'm pretty suspicious of it. It's a very, very good thing Elite came along.
Isn't Elite being extremely ambitious with its planned expansions as well?

Highly cautious of both of these games in the long run.

Wreav

Banned
Highly cautious of both of these games in the long run.

Except FD have delivered a great product already with ambitious future plans, while RSI has released...a pretty terrible pre-alpha demo and lots of words. I hope RSI can pull it together, but what I've played so far has been pretty damn bad.

I'm not sure there's much caution to be had if all you want for now is a fun space trader/dog fighter. The MSRP is worth it for that alone if you played space sims in the 90s.

We have had 32 player multiplayer games for a long ass time now.

If Destiny is listed as an MMO on mmorpg.com, I have no hesitation saying that ED is one as well ;-)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

This game captures the 'feel' of flying a starship better then any game I've ever played in my life. It's incredibly immersive. Bullet points and feature lists aside, this is what makes ED stand out.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
This game captures the 'feel' of flying a starship better then any game I've ever played in my life. It's incredibly immersive. Bullet points and feature lists aside, this is what makes ED stand out.

Hm. Well, if Sinatar likes it, I'm probably going to like it. Sold!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

31 players does not make an MMO though. Elite is an online game more akin to Battlefield than World of Warcraft. That said, even BF3 has better multiplayer and social tools than Elite.

Yes, the features are coming, but we don't know when, and people are going to expect industry standard social features at launch, and they aren't there. I just feel that they've mis-marketed the game and left very important features out that they really should have devoted development time towards having in at launch. And I really hope it doesn't tarnish the game's reception in any bad way, because I want Elite to be around for a long time.

That all said, I can't wait to get home tonight and get into the game! This is going to be a loonnnggggg work day.....

Wreav

Banned
Is there a list with the updates (if any) from Gamma 2.0 to release 1.00?
Not much...
Change log for those updating from Gamma:

- Prevent missions softlocks when switching servers from A->B->A without disconnecting from A
- Check if we should use the neutron star's version of the bolometric luminosity first to prevent soft lock
- Avoid crash in creating a location object when it hits a rare window
- Sky box view distance to reduce hyperspace times to some galaxy areas, sparser sky in distant arm regions, but most importantly no more out of memory problems

Id love to try it on the Rift, but honestly just looking around normally inside your cockpit, the way the computers pop up on the left and right, the engine noises etc, its all so damn immersive. It really does feel like youre actually flying your own spaceship.
Im a bit terrified to do any PVP as ill only be using a controller and i imagine ill get obliterated by joystick users, but the idea of just doing space eurotruck with smuggling slaves, scanning planets, cruising around asteroid belts, etc, man i just cant wait to get stuck into it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom