• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elminage Original |3DS OT| Twice The Screens, Twice The Death

Thanks for the advice, all. I reverted to my previous save and decided to put off the
Rollfan
quest until later. Well, after spending three hours mapping out
more of the forest
as well as
the second floor of the first dungeon
and a few quests completed, I went back to show that quest encounter who was boss. The first go-around, my party got wiped after a 15-minute battle of attrition, the next I studied my skill collection and dialed in some effective tactics: a
combination of aggro, defense, status effects, smart healing. Try to keep the monster that can decapitate paralyzed or petrified, and bear down the rows. Next phase, try to keep the main boss occupied so she can't summon more waves of monsters--these fuckers are strong.

This is such a fun game. If I like this, I should try Grimoire, right?

More questions: when will my thief learn to steal? And, are there any suggested quests to take on in the early game? My party is all level 10-11 right now.

Lorcain

Best part about it is that it can be used as an item. It casts a fire spell that hits an entire line of enemies for decent damage.

Unlimited uses. It doesn't have to be equipped to use either, so any extras can go to thieves/mages/etc (Be sure to equip a flame amulet on them to boost damage).
What the...how did I miss that lol? I've been using it as regular sword.

Just tried it, yep, it does good line damage. I never would've known that. Between my dragonnewt fighter using fire breath and my lord using the flamberge they can roast front lines. Thanks for sharing.

What the...how did I miss that lol? I've been using it as regular sword.

Just tried it, yep, it does good line damage. I never would've known that. Between my dragonnewt fighter using fire breath and my lord using the flamberge they can roast front lines. Thanks for sharing.

No problem.

I hit up a late-game dungeon and managed to score another flamberge and two flame rods (which work in the same manner).

Oh and here's a resource everyone might find useful...

This spreadsheet lists the drops for every area in the game.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yR6unCmAB0iWaM1dIibcLwgkSwjdqhrsmuQnBZXcMLc/edit#gid=0

In Elminage, drops are determined by the dungeon, not the monster. The three columns represent rarity. A items are common, while C items are very rare.
Keep in mind that this information isn't all that necessary to complete the game. The world/encounter system is designed so that players will eventually stumble upon some good stuff as they're exploring normally.
(I've already beaten the PSP version and I'm trying to hurry things along for my review of the 3DS version)

Just realized a major feature of the battle system is the ability to choose the order your characters act. Really opens up the party synergy and utilizing it tactically, I went from having a struggling party to a well-oiled killing machine.

Lorcain

In Elminage, drops are determined by the dungeon, not the monster.
Ok, that makes complete sense. It seemed like each map was itemized differently. I'm still trying to fully map out the 2 monster difficulty dungeons, so I'm not very far. Somehow this game makes it fun to fully map every square inch of the dungeons.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Finished the campaign with about 65 hours on the clock. Was even leveling up alchemist and ninja alts in the mean time (temporarily setting aside my high level bishop and thief). Was thinking of tackling the post-game to continue leveling and looting, since this has legit been fun. Quickly found 4 of the 6 altars I need to presumably unlock any additional dungeons, but I kind of can't be arsed to find the last 2, so I think I'm done.

Was a damn enjoyable game with a ton of great, interesting locations to explore. I think I completed something like 30 of the quests available, which is far from complete. But again, I don't really feel the need to continue.

An easy recommendation to fans of the genre.

Top Bottom