• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PFTP - Dragon Warrior 7 (PSX) (Dragon Quest 7)

fart town usa

Gold Member
PFTP means "Preparing for the Party".....lol.

As some of you have seen, I've been playing Wild ARMs but I noticed the other night that there's a patched eBoot that allows DW7 to run correctly on PSPs.

I owned a physical copy about a decade ago and put in a few hours, it's archaic as shit but I love the Dragon Quest series and always wanted to play through this game due to how long it is. People say a first-time playthrough will take 120 hours minimum :messenger_grinning_sweat:. I don't have a 3DS and I'm not getting one. The PSX version is what I plan on starting once Wild Arms is over. Being able to play on the TV and mobile via the PSPgo makes the task less daunting.

I hear that the translation isn't too great and it makes some of the stone tablets difficult to find. I'll probably use a guide for that.

Any tips or advice though, especially when it comes to class progression...? I'm really looking forward to jumping back in by September hopefully.

Just a video for fun. HCG is great.

edit- Gonna add various tips as I play through the game. Currently 43 hours into the game, probably a little more than a 3rd of the way through it. The class progression I've been following from gamefaqs has been really helpful with difficulty spikes, the added notes should help to give first-time players an idea of how they can prepare for those unexpected spikes. I may add more info to it at some point but if you read the notes, you'll probably have a good idea of how/when to grind for the remainder of the game.

Dragon Warrior VII Tips - Class Progression

Cast 'Whistle' as Gabo to instantly start a battle. You can grind in Dharma, Dune and any place so forth. Avoid earlier areas, the fights may not count towards class progression if the monsters are too weak.

Once you gain the ability to change classes (20-25 hours in. Took me 25), grind until Hero has maxed out Warrior and obtained level 5 in Dancing, you don't need to max out dancing. You'll unlock Sword Dance as a result, a skill that has 4 hits that deal roughly 70-75% attack power damage to all monsters (all monsters meaning any monster on screen, doesn't matter if they're the same type of monster or not DQ fans know what I'm talking about). Do the same for Maribel but put her as Dancer first and max that out, then only go to level 5 for Warrior.

You can only obtain Sword Dance if you do Warrior -> Dancer (or vice versa), back to back, each has to be a minimum of level 5. It's one of the numerous hybrid skills that can only be obtained when you learn skills from two specific classes, one after the other.

After Hero has obtained level 5 in dancing and learned Sword Dance, go back to Dharma and change his class to Mage.

Once Maribel learns Sword Dance, change her class to Bard.

**Learn Sword Dance with Hero and Maribel before you go into the Dune dungeon. You won't be able to leave once you're in the dengeon. You're gonna want Sword Dance, trust me.**

Gabo needs to learn Shepherd -> Thief -> Tamer -> Dancer/Warrior (Sword Dance)

**Changing classes causes your stats to flucuate. A mage is going to have high MP but lower HP and defense, etc. You'll want to grind out of weaker classes as you progress, that way you can tackle challenging bosses with relative ease**

After you're done with Dune, if Hero hasn't mastered Mage, master it. Once Mage is mastered, you can then select an intermediate class, Ranger.

For Maribel, master Bard, if it isn't already, and then change her class to Jester.

Go and do the next area and when you're done with that, grind until Mary can select Teen Idol, another intermediate class.

Gabo at that point should be working on Warrior/Dancer for Sword Dance.

**You Should be level 20-21 when you reach Litorud and will probably have spent 5-6 hours grinding.**

Hero: Warrior - Dancer (for Sworddanc) - Mage - Ranger - Cleric - Sage - Fighter - Paladin - Hero
Gabo: Shepherd - Thief - Tamer - Warrior - Dancer (for Sworddanc) Fighter - Dragoon - Cleric - Paladin - Godhand - Hero
Maribel: Dancer - Warrior (for Sworddanc) - Bard - Jester - TeenIdol - Mage - Cleric - Sage - Summoner - Hero
Melvin: Warrior - Dancer (for Sworddanc) - Fighter - Dragoon - Cleric - Paladin - Godhand - Hero
Aira - Warrior - Dancer (make up for Sworddanc) - Bard - Jester - TeenIdol - Mage - Cleric - Sage - Summoner - Hero

PSX Instruction Booklet

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Don't be afraid to use a guide to find all the puzzle pieces. The PS1 version of this game is rough, I didn't enjoy it at all.
Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

dave_d

Were the puzzle pieces the things you needed in the epilogue? I Played it years ago and when I was done I didn't feel like trying to finish the epilogue. (Not sure if it was worth doing.)

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
It seems that you have to have too much... too much patience and time to finish the game.

It catches my attention, but I am overwhelmed by the number of hours that need to be dedicated... especially since it is 2D on a playstation CD, the amount of game must be too much.

How do you guys approach these lengthy jpgs? I know the easy answer is to just play them but I’m used to playing a game for an hour each session max. I’m trying to get into the genre properly because there’s some great games I’ve never tried.

SkylineRKR

I sold this game a few years ago. I've had it for a decade or so but never played more than 3 hours. I thought it was extremely dull.

Perhaps you're better off with the remake?

PhaseJump

Banned
I bought this at launch and put hundreds of hours into it. It's straight up episodic in the presentation.

The game is long and grindy, and shapes up to be a formula. You pick up access to the next area that is locked away in the past, dealing with a bottled side quest plot in a new town, going back to a hub visiting the new area unlocked in the current real world, fetching new tablet fragments, picking up new plot closure for that town.

It's simple, slightly boring, but it's OG Dragon Quest III on steroids and anybody into JRPGs can pace their way through it.

fart town usa

Gold Member
How do you guys approach these lengthy jpgs? I know the easy answer is to just play them but I’m used to playing a game for an hour each session max. I’m trying to get into the genre properly because there’s some great games I’ve never tried.
My approach is to chip away at them. It'll probably take me a while to finish it but I'm OK with that.

For RPGs that are under 40 hours, I can knock them out in 1.5 months with casual sessions. This game will probably take me 6+ months. I always play them on the PSPgo because I can hook it up to my TV and I can also level grind in bed. Suspend state is also convenient. Helps too that I never stopped playing retro games so archaic gameplay mechanics aren't distracting. I can jump right in and be comfortable with it.

I also like to check https://howlongtobeat.com to get an idea of what I can expect.

Approaching JRPGs as an adult really does feel like going on an adventure, you gotta plan in advance to make the overall experience easier on yourself, lol.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I sold this game a few years ago. I've had it for a decade or so but never played more than 3 hours. I thought it was extremely dull.

Perhaps you're better off with the remake?
If I still had a 3DS I would. PSPgo is my JRPG device these days. I've always wanted to play through the PSX version too.

Probably my favorite Dragon Quest game, but I'll admit that that's almost entirely due to nostalgia. It just happened to be the first one I played. The game is ridiculously long and convoluted even on the 3DS, but the PSX version is on another level in that regard. Definitely don't hesitate to look stuff up if you don't know where to go.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I tried to play DW7 about 3 months ago.. wow is that a stinker. its like a bad NES game in the very early days. Graphics are horrible, Gameplay is horrible, Wheres the shard you need? Who The F#$% Knows?! Just wander around aimlessly back tracking and you might find it.

Last edited:

cireza

I agree with the first sentence, but not the second. I've played RPGs that are longer than that are great.
I have played a few longer than 50 hours, but in two installments with a pause of a few months in between.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm an hour in boys. Wish me luck.

arnold schwarzenegger predator GIF

Last edited:

Ladioss

I have some very mixed feelings about DQ7. Some really good, some really bad.
Any tips or advice though, especially when it comes to class progression...? I'm really looking forward to jumping back in by September hopefully.

You are playing the PS1 version right ? Cross-classes skills are probably one of the most critical gameplay element to watch out for.

Heimdall_Xtreme

dragon_quest_vii-2130923.jpg

just seeing the cover art made me sleepy and lazy to play it (And I like Akira Toriyama's art)

My respects for playing this video game. Good luck, it takes a patience of steel XDDD

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I have some very mixed feelings about DQ7. Some really good, some really bad.

You are playing the PS1 version right ? Cross-classes skills are probably one of the most critical gameplay element to watch out for.
Yea, PS1 version via the PSPgo connected to my CRT. Classes is what I'm most concerned about, I hear it's critical in the 2nd half of the game. Hopefully the guide I'm using puts me on the right path.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
That one was waaay too slow for me, and I loved playing IV, V and VI on my DS. Still have to play VIII and XI, hope those are as good as the older ones.

Good luck OP, game sure has a slow start but I heard it gets better later on.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Funny you say that because there's no other franchise like Dragon Quest which regularly puts me to sleep whenever I play it.
Never completed a single game.
I don't know what makes me sleepier, the Assassin's Creed saga, a Sherlock Holmes game or Dr. Who game.

Kuranghi

I'm 15+ hours in (so that's around 5 hours worth of actual content for a normal human) to DQ11:S, once I've cleared off a few games which are all very near to completition I'm going to go back to it. I think I have to accept it'll be a game in the background while I play shorter stuff at the same time because I might get burnt out otherwise.

edit - My brain is fried from illness, didn't even comment on the thread title/OP sorry lol.

The HCG video was great, that channel really is a pure injection of positivity, might not be the most critical or in depth but like Michael Huber from EZA thats not the main draw, its more about the passion and positivity for me.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm 15+ hours in (so that's around 5 hours worth of actual content for a normal human) to DQ11:S, once I've cleared off a few games which are all very near to completition I'm going to go back to it. I think I have to accept it'll be a game in the background while I play shorter stuff at the same time because I might get burnt out otherwise.

edit - My brain is fried from illness, didn't even comment on the thread title/OP sorry lol.

The HCG video was great, that channel really is a pure injection of positivity, might not be the most critical or in depth but like Michael Huber from EZA thats not the main draw, its more about the passion and positivity for me.
I really like DQ11, I've had a game going in that for a while, the original release though. Probably 40 or so hours in, I'll get back to it this winter.

DQ is just so chill to me, and using the Prima guide with DQ7 is making it super streamlined.

Last edited:

Synless

I love, and I mean love dragon quest. I have never beaten this game. I tried my psx version, I thought the updated 3DS version would be it… nope. It’s too god damn boring.

Ladioss

And if people need more DQ in their live, gamer doog hag is currently doing a DQ6 playthrough on SFC. It's full of NPC voiceovers, giggles and positivity. It feels much better than playing DQ7 by yourself on PS1 in 2022 :messenger_kissing_smiling:

fart town usa

Gold Member
And if people need more DQ in their live, gamer doog hag is currently doing a DQ6 playthrough on SFC. It's full of NPC voiceovers, giggles and positivity. It feels much better than playing DQ7 by yourself on PS1 in 2022 :messenger_kissing_smiling:

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

it's a Japanese stream, lol.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Fucking loved this slog of a game. Never described a game I enjoyed like that but it stands true. Definitely recommend a guide.
Yea, the Prima guide is super handy. I don't think I could manage without it, mostly due to the rock slabs you gotta find. Screw that, grinding alone is gonna eat up hours, can't be wandering around aimlessly when I don't need to be.

Got like 6-7 hours in, level 10 and in the 2nd Island area. I'm really enjoying it so far. Game looks gorgeous on the CRT, got the DualShock 3 linked up to it.

Comfy as shit.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Was my favorite dragon quest game. Played it on ps1 and sad it never got another ps1 release. (Ps3/vita)
A possible factor with it not coming to PS3/PSP/Vita is that the game may not have run correctly on the respective system's PSX emulator.

That's how it was at least with soft-modding a PSP and trying to run DQ7, someone recently patched the eBoot though and it plays fine now. Someone straight up doing's god work. Patching Dragon Warrior 7 for the PSP in 2022...I love it, lol.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
25 hours in, made it to where I can change classes. That was the coolest section of the game so far.

I'll post some gifs and expanded thoughts later on. really enjoying the game still but it's definitely flawed.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Alright, If I'm gonna keep bumping my own thread (lol), I should probably add some flare to it. It is a party after all and I always took RTTP/LTTP threads as something you post updates in as you play through the game.

While most of the backgrounds in this game are static, I noticed that this one has some neat lighting effects going on.
AMofjP2.gif

Dharma Temple. The graphics are clearly primitive as can be but they have a real charm to them, at least to me. I love the colors too, super vibrant.
P8bmcqd.gif

Capture device sperged out a bit but I like the different layers in this room. You got the steam from the sauna that alters the shading of your character and the water itself which also alters the shading. Nothing overly impressive but nice attention to detail.
qjEArL3.gif

I really love some of the backgrounds in this game. Nice mix of painting/pre-rendered/pixels. Has a nice sense of depth.
ru51Fea.gif

And now that I'm able to change classes, the grind has begun.
bqSgv9F.gif

27 hours in, how do I feel about the game? I really enjoy it but I honestly can't see how anyone could play through this game without a serious guide. I don't mind grinding whatsoever but the map system in the game is straight up awful, it's borderline useless. The dots that indicate cities are tiny to the point where they may as well not be there. There's also no names on the map, it's literally just a map.

You can warp to towns but if you're looking for a shard, you'd just be wandering aimlessly. Granted, the shards so far have been in somewhat obvious locations but there are so many parts in this game where you're literally going back and forth between two areas in order to trigger progression. Sometimes they'll toss a shard in there with no indication that you should go back to where you just were and talk to such and such person in order to get the shard.

I'm by no means an expert on the DQ series, I haven't beaten a single game and have only played a few of them (DQ5 is my favorite). DW7 though is by far the worst one I've played. The story is decent but there's really no focus on anything, lots of side quest fetch quest stuff but they happen so often that I'm sure to forget many parts of the game, especially considering the game is a mandatory 100+ hours, lol.

I do enjoy the game though and am glad I'm playing it. I think I'll stick with it and finish it, the Prima guide is invaluable and it's not too difficult. Just gotta grind and get them class skills.

It's pretty amazing that Enix released a game like this, and it sold 4+ million in Japan, lol. It's a beast of a game for sure in so many ways, some good, some not so much. It's DQ though and if you know, you know.

Also, forgot to mention. I love the translation, it's not censored in the slightest and has some pretty funny off color jokes and religious themes.

Last edited:

dave_d

27 hours in, how do I feel about the game? I really enjoy it but I honestly can't see how anyone could play through this game without a serious guide.

Very true, I mean how were you supposed to beat the epilogue without a guide? I never even bothered with it when I read what you had to get to complete it. (Was it worth it?)

Heimdall_Xtreme

Alright, If I'm gonna keep bumping my own thread (lol), I should probably add some flare to it. It is a party after all and I always took RTTP/LTTP threads as something you post updates in as you play through the game.

While most of the backgrounds in this game are static, I noticed that this one has some neat lighting effects going on.
AMofjP2.gif

Dharma Temple. The graphics are clearly primitive as can be but they have a real charm to them, at least to me. I love the colors too, super vibrant.
P8bmcqd.gif

Capture device sperged out a bit but I like the different layers in this room. You got the steam from the sauna that alters the shading of your character and the water itself which also alters the shading. Nothing overly impressive but nice attention to detail.
qjEArL3.gif

I really love some of the backgrounds in this game. Nice mix of painting/pre-rendered/pixels. Has a nice sense of depth.
ru51Fea.gif

And now that I'm able to change classes, the grind has begun.
bqSgv9F.gif

27 hours in, how do I feel about the game? I really enjoy it but I honestly can't see how anyone could play through this game without a serious guide. I don't mind grinding whatsoever but the map system in the game is straight up awful, it's borderline useless. The dots that indicate cities are tiny to the point where they may as well not be there. There's also no names on the map, it's literally just a map.

You can warp to towns but if you're looking for a shard, you'd just be wandering aimlessly. Granted, the shards so far have been in somewhat obvious locations but there are so many parts in this game where you're literally going back and forth between two areas in order to trigger progression. Sometimes they'll toss a shard in there with no indication that you should go back to where you just were and talk to such and such person in order to get the shard.

I'm by no means an expert on the DQ series, I haven't beaten a single game and have only played a few of them (DQ5 is my favorite). DW7 though is by far the worst one I've played. The story is decent but there's really no focus on anything, lots of side quest fetch quest stuff but they happen so often that I'm sure to forget many parts of the game, especially considering the game is a mandatory 100+ hours, lol.

I do enjoy the game though and am glad I'm playing it. I think I'll stick with it and finish it, the Prima guide is invaluable and it's not too difficult. Just gotta grind and get them class skills.

It's pretty amazing that Enix released a game like this, and it sold 4+ million in Japan, lol. It's a beast of a game for sure in so many ways, some good, some not so much. It's DQ though and if you know, you know.

Also, forgot to mention. I love the translation, it's not censored in the slightest and has some pretty funny off color jokes and religious themes.
My respects for putting up with the archaic graphic style

Top Bottom