• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk built a “submarine” to rescue Thailand kids—here’s what it looks like

The story goes that some rando on twitter asked musk if he could help the mission to save the soccer team. A bunch of spacex engineer were dispatched after musk was like "ill see what I can do"

Boring company does dig holes after all. The bouncy house inflatable tube idea died down because it would take too long.

So he made a submarine.

The tube is really narrow. Some diagrams online show one passageway narrowing to as little as 38 cm—about 15 inches—at its tightest point. We asked Musk if the cylinder would really fit through such a small space, and he responded on Twitter that the cylinder was 31 cm wide—just over a foot.

That would obviously be too narrow for many adults to squeeze into, but perhaps it's just big enough for the Thai teenagers—especially the younger ones—to get in.

The bright side is that these kids (teenagers?sephyr halp) are making it out.

https://arstechnica.com/science/201...escue-thailand-kids-heres-what-it-looks-like/

Last edited:

American

Banned
'Elon Musk tried to be centre of attention again'.

Glad the Thai military completely ignored him and getting the kids out alive their own way.

Dunki

Glad the Thai military completely ignored him and getting the kids out alive their own way.
They are not ignoring him . He is in constant talks with Thailand there. They gave him a lot of details and he is not trying to get attention he is trying to help. this is bascially their plan B but its better to safe the children now when the conditions are perfect.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
That’s the second “Elon Musk” “Google” “boring company” reference I’ve seen in the last week. What’s the joke? What did I miss?

Grinchy

Banned
Please refrain from throwing out blanket insults
"I hate this guy for some reason" - Douchebags

Imagine being rich enough to wake up see the news and then say to yourself "I'm going to build a sub."

Props to him for trying to do something I suppose, I think paying bonus pay to all the rescue workers would be a better allocation of his money though

American

Banned
They are not ignoring him . He is in constant talks with Thailand there. They gave him a lot of details and he is not trying to get attention he is trying to help. this is bascially their plan B but its better to safe the children now when the conditions are perfect.

Oh? I stand corrected them. I didn't realise they were actually asking him for help. I've read numerous contradictory reports.

"I hate this guy for some reason" - Douchebags

I can give you 1 reason, ass-licker. How about.... Elon Musk using someone's art, not paying them, then telling them they should be 'grateful for the attention' before deleting the tweet because of backlash? [Guardian Link]

Not bad as a backup plan. Always good to have other options in reserve. If the kids take ill then something like this could prove to be vital in the rescue.

longdi

Banned
Why do humans think like this?
Humans are selfish self serving generally.
Has Elon Musk shown anything more than a dreamy but determined business man?
If it was Bill Gates offering to help, i will be less cynical, besides where is Bill Gates donating to this saga?

If it was Bill Gates offering to help, i will be less cynical, besides where is Bill Gates donating to this saga?
I think he's tired out from curing polio and delivering clean water to remote areas.

Grinchy

Banned
I can give you 1 reason, ass-licker. How about.... Elon Musk using someone's art, not paying them, then telling them they should be 'grateful for the attention' before deleting the tweet because of backlash? [Guardian Link]
OMG! I had no idea about this. Well, that settles it. I'm going to make sure to call him out for being a horrible person for years to come. He can't get away with this!

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Okay but what if Elon just honestly wanted to help?

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The backlash against Musk for trying to help is weird.

Like...think about how AWFUL it would be for Musk to try and do this and the kids end up dying in his contraption. In what world would that be positive PR? And say the thing worked...in what world is that A BAD THING?

I have no doubt that Elon was in good faith trying to solve a problem that people were really struggling to solve that involved the loss of human life. Was he a bit loud about it? Maybe. But were his intentions good? Of course.

Last edited:

LordPezix

image.png

DKehoe

Good on Musk for wanting to help out. But he and his fans are unintentionally hilarious a lot of the time.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
Does he know they are in a cave where spots are so narrow divers have to off their oxygen tanks? What he could do is take his sub and race Michael Phelps and the Shark and see who is faster.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
People don't like Elon Musk because it turns out he isn't a bleeding heart liberal
I’m not sure if you are being serious, but funny you should say that.

I’ve been wondering about this very topic lately. I’ve noticed a definite shift in the way people are talking about Elon Musk in recent times. A little negative with an undertone of mockery.

I was confused by this obvious change in the zeitgeist, but I couldn’t find a single defining dramatic event that would explain this large a shift. In previous years, Elon Musk had been discussed with mostly positivity, respect and hope for the future. Not anymore. It’s like some people want him to fail.

It almost feels like people are sitting back making their little mockeries and eyerolls, but poised and ready to pounce the moment he slips up and says something “wrong”.

I wondered why. The only theory I can come up with and one that seems to fit the current climate, is just what you refer to. Considering the type of person I see making the negative remarks are usually liberal types.

It would seem that they assumed this young Silicon Valley billionaire and technology trailblazer would be on their side, one of them and then one day they woke up and realised he wasn’t exactly. Humans are more complex than black or white. He is admittedly somewhere in the middle politically and doesn’t trust either side of politics. Like any smart person.

But, that’s not good enough. You’re either with us or against us.

And so they wait.

I’ve been wondering about this very topic lately. I’ve noticed a definite shift in the way people are talking about Elon Musk in recent times. A little negative with an undertone of mockery.

I was confused by this obvious change in the zeitgeist, but I couldn’t find a single defining dramatic event that would explain this large a shift. In previous years, Elon Musk had been discussed with mostly positivity, respect and hope for the future. Not anymore. It’s like some people want him to fail.

It almost feels like people are sitting back making their little mockeries and eyerolls, but poised and ready to pounce the moment he slips up and says something “wrong”.

I wondered why. The only theory I can come up with and one that seems to fit the current climate, is just what you refer to. Considering the type of person I see making the negative remarks are usually liberal types.

It would seem that they assumed this young Silicon Valley billionaire and technology trailblazer would be on their side, one of them and then one day they woke up and realised he wasn’t exactly. Humans are more complex than black or white. He is admittedly somewhere in the middle politically and doesn’t trust either side of politics. Like any smart person.

And so they wait.

There's an easy slant that's easy to digest for purists. On a direct level of what people are saying I also saw this huge shift against musk/tesla between oldgaf and era.

There's a more nefarious idea knocking around in my head, but I don't want to think some people have actually bought into it.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
It is amazing what he can accomplish in such a short amount of time.

I’d rather have a visionary like Musk than some dude cranking out an iPhone every year. Musk will definitely make the world a better place when he is done.

Is there any need to make an issue of this? If Elon Musk is craving attention, then being up in arms is just giving him more attention. I would rather err on the side of good and just assume he just wants to help, perhaps with also a side benefit of providing marketing for a possible product. Who cares?

Alx

It's nice to try and help, but I wouldn't advise using a prototype in a crisis situation. That only works in movies, chances are that real life testing would have shown unpredicted flaws and may have caused someone's death. Engineering is a long and methodical process.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
It's nice to try and help, but I wouldn't advise using a prototype in a crisis situation. That only works in movies, chances are that real life testing would have shown unpredicted flaws and may have caused someone's death. Engineering is a long and methodical process.

Much like the real life testing they have been doing with the prototype?

Prototypes are perfect for crisis situation when the alternative is death.

Luckily in this scenario the prototype is just another available option and there has been success using other methods.

jadedm17

"That rich asshole, trying to make the world a better place and save lives, how ridiculous!"

Feel free to share how much you've given to the world to make it better. I'll wait.

There's a more nefarious idea knocking around in my head, but I don't want to think some people have actually bought into it.

Who cares what people think? There's no danger entertaining an idea. You should be able to do it, without committing to it, that's a mark of intellect. So just write it.

caffeware

Banned

And so they wait.

What I gathered:
1. He was under the wing of Obama. Not anymore.
2. He tried to be buddy, buddy with Trump, for a while.
3. Something about blocking his employees from joining an union.

oagboghi2

And so they wait.
Their have always been some journalists who took shots at Elon, but they never got any attention. This changed when Elon joined trump's business council.

It's been smear articles ever since.

Alx

Much like the real life testing they have been doing with the prototype?

Prototypes are perfect for crisis situation when the alternative is death.

Luckily in this scenario the prototype is just another available option and there has been success using other methods.

It's not luck if there were better options, it's skill and experience. There's a reason experts all around the world were summoned to handle the crisis, because in such situations you need people and technology that proved to be reliable. And even then there is a risk : A professional diver with years of experience, using a technology with half a century of testing and improvements, still happened to die in the process. What do you think the rescue unit would think of a "let's try that new stuff that we've been using for a few weeks" plan ?

like I said it's nice to want to help, but if you're down to the prototype solution, it means you're fucked already. More of a hail Mary than a real plan.
Many people like to think that technology can solve everything, but they don't realize how long it takes for technology to be reliable. Going from "cool idea" to "real product" takes years.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Its weird outside twitter ghouls I haven't seen Musk fanboys anywhere else that was not a cesspool. Did I miss something?

Dontero

Banned

He play games, commented that Trump tariffs are justified and with few technocrats sits on Trump board for technology.

I mean how can you dispute Elon arguments where he literally runs multinational business and have to deal with EU/Japan etc. and outright says US gets fucked on this trade. Getting car into Japan ? Almost impossible because Japanese change laws and regulations to fit only their own cars.

Top Bottom