• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk built a “submarine” to rescue Thailand kids—here’s what it looks like

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
'Elon Musk tried to be centre of attention again'.

Glad the Thai military completely ignored him and getting the kids out alive their own way.
A famous businessman offering his resources (And Thai officials requesting his help) to think along and develop an alternative if plan A fails. And even if it goes unusued, it could be developed into a more generic device for lifesaving.

Sure, its also PR for The Boring Company, but i don't think its inherently bad to spend your time in this.

Musk has atleast the resources and the dedication to do so. Us mere forum posters can only comment (and complain, apparently) on these actions. Its not like we are in a position to help anyways, so why should we shun someone who can?

Helios

I’m not sure if you are being serious, but funny you should say that.

I’ve been wondering about this very topic lately. I’ve noticed a definite shift in the way people are talking about Elon Musk in recent times. A little negative with an undertone of mockery.

I was confused by this obvious change in the zeitgeist, but I couldn’t find a single defining dramatic event that would explain this large a shift. In previous years, Elon Musk had been discussed with mostly positivity, respect and hope for the future. Not anymore. It’s like some people want him to fail.

It almost feels like people are sitting back making their little mockeries and eyerolls, but poised and ready to pounce the moment he slips up and says something “wrong”.

I wondered why. The only theory I can come up with and one that seems to fit the current climate, is just what you refer to. Considering the type of person I see making the negative remarks are usually liberal types.

It would seem that they assumed this young Silicon Valley billionaire and technology trailblazer would be on their side, one of them and then one day they woke up and realised he wasn’t exactly. Humans are more complex than black or white. He is admittedly somewhere in the middle politically and doesn’t trust either side of politics. Like any smart person.

But, that’s not good enough. You’re either with us or against us.

And so they wait.
He's hated by the media because he wants to make Pravda a thing. Immediately after that tweet journalists started going for his throat, some of them probably still have flashbacks from GG. You can just google "Elon Musk Pravda" and see almost all mainstream media outlets bashing the idea because "THAT'S NOT HOW JOURNALISM WORKS"

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
He's hated by the media because he wants to make Pravda a thing. Immediately after that tweet journalists started going for his throat, some of them probably still have flashbacks from GG. You can just google "Elon Musk Pravda" and see almost all mainstream media outlets bashing the idea because "THAT'S NOT HOW JOURNALISM WORKS"
Ah ok. I had forgot about that.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
It's always nice to see cults in gaming forums.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Its weird outside twitter ghouls I haven't seen Musk fanboys anywhere else that was not a cesspool. Did I miss something?
It's always nice to see cults in gaming forums.
I know you are just trying to get a rise, but do you seriously have nothing better to do than jump into thread after thread with your one-line hot take trolls?

For someone who is bandying about “cult”, “fanboy” and “cesspool”, you seem to be quite obsessed with the subject matter yourself.

Last edited:
Oh, looks like I hit the nerve of a fanboy. This glorification of people like Musk is completely strange to me. What has he ever done to deserve it?

replying to you doesnt mean you struck a nerve is just fun to talk. but it will always be fun to me to see people who hate successful people. i mean just because i have dirt on elon musk so he has to pay all my bills for the rest of my life doesnt mean im a fanboy

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Oh, looks like I hit the nerve of a fanboy. This glorification of people like Musk is completely strange to me. What has he ever done to deserve it?
- He's re-invigerated the nation and the world on private space travel and come up with a way to make it incredibly cheaper and more accessible
- He's introducing a line of purely electric cars and nation wide network of electric car charging stations to clean up the environment
- He's investing in tunneling with the intention of creating new public transportation methods that are more efficient

Like any one of those are noteworthy, and he's doing all three.

None of this references him supplying countries with failing powergrids with Tesla batteries to restore power, selling a flamethrower for the fuck of it, giving his cars a ludicrous mode which makes them accelerate fucking fast as fuck, dating super models and singers, getting a hell of a hair transplant, co-founding Paypal as a means to disrupt traditional means of handling and transacting money, shooting his car into space because he can....

He comes across as a guy with a fuckton of money, interesting ideas, good intentions with everything he does, wants to change the world...and has fun doing it.

Like the guy or not...he's certainly noteworthy as hell.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I wasn't sure why there was a such a strong hate boner for this guy until I dug a little bit. I went to the usual shitty news rags like WaPo, Independent and The Guardian and looked for articles about him. Sure enough, there they were. Apparently the media is mad that he thinks the media is often irresponsible with their reporting. What a shocker.

It appears as though the hatred for him grew after he said he wanted to create a site that rates news agencies according to their credibility. And if you're one of those "right side of history" people, you have to think what The Guardian thinks to prove you're a great human. Hence, the hate.

jonnyp

- He's re-invigerated the nation and the world on private space travel and come up with a way to make it incredibly cheaper and more accessible
- He's introducing a line of purely electric cars and nation wide network of electric car charging stations to clean up the environment
- He's investing in tunneling with the intention of creating new public transportation methods that are more efficient

Like any one of those are noteworthy, and he's doing all three.

None of this references him supplying countries with failing powergrids with Tesla batteries to restore power, selling a flamethrower for the fuck of it, giving his cars a ludicrous mode which makes them accelerate fucking fast as fuck, dating super models and singers, getting a hell of a hair transplant, co-founding Paypal as a means to disrupt traditional means of handling and transacting money, shooting his car into space because he can....

He comes across as a guy with a fuckton of money, interesting ideas, good intentions with everything he does, wants to change the world...and has fun doing it.

Like the guy or not...he's certainly noteworthy as hell.

He's noteworthy as a good marketing guy sure.

It's bonkers insane getting into a vacuum tube and being shot at 1200 km/h through it (otherwise known as the Hyperloop pipedream). Hyperloop, while technologically possible in theory, is completely impractical in real life due to excessive CAPEX and OPEX, but most of all it's a completely unsafe mode of transportation. We already have tunnels with vehicles that carry people, it's called a metro or underground. If hyperloop ever becomes a reality, it will be very similar to every other train/metro systems we currently have - nothing revolutionary.

How are electric cars cleaning up the environment in total? And it's not like he invented them in the first place. Do you know how much that battery production pollutes? And very few countries have 100% green electricity production to power said EVs. Just recently a study came out in Germany (that does have a lot of renewable energy) which stated that a Tesla X has to be driven for 500 000 km before it's greener than a regular diesel car based on German energy mix of fossil fuel and green power. That's longer than the lifetime of the car.

His Tesla truck has very limited use in the real world. Mail trucks ok, but transporting heavy loads over long distances, which is trucks primary area of use? No.

As an engineer, hearing Musk's BS about things like how green his businesses are and the hyperloop pipedream etc does annoy me because the layman gobbles it up like a Sunday roast.

As for him screwing models, artists, whatever, making flamethrowers (why) or wasting resources shooting a car into space (double why?) - how is that supposed to defend him or support this cult-like fandom he currently enjoys? I guess good for him, but I don't idolize that sort of behavior. I'm not 14 years old.

People really need to start thinking critically.

replying to you doesnt mean you struck a nerve is just fun to talk. but it will always be fun to me to see people who hate successful people. i mean just because i have dirt on elon musk so he has to pay all my bills for the rest of my life doesnt mean im a fanboy

I like successful people who actually deliver more than just pipe dreams and bogus claims. I don't hate successful people, not even Musk, I just don't understand the people who idolize Musk or why they think he's so great. I think he's completely overrated as a business man, as a role model, as an ethical human being. I see a guy who's made getting subsidies for his companies into an art form, while over-promising and under-delivering at almost every step. Taking advantage of every situation he can for PR.

Co-founding PayPal is probably his biggest achievement, but I don't know how much of PayPal's success is directly attributable to him though.

Anyway, I've said my piece. I will leave this thread now.

Last edited:

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Damn jonnyp jonnyp , so are you truly trying to convince me and others that Elon Musk is not a noteworthy and successful person... or that he's a complete hack as a true engineer/pioneer?

You say that reusing rockets is absolutely bonkers for transportation of people...but that's not what it's being used for. His company is already being contracted to deliver satellites into orbit and other functions as they are a cheaper alternative and have proven reliable.

Are you telling me that isn't true? Like are you literally throwing away the achievements of SpaceX because you're personally afraid of going into a rocket that's been used before?

You're doing a TON of mental gymnastics to discredit this guy. Like what in the world would you have against an all electric truck? You don't like the range on it? You don't see the merit of these vehicles being used for shorter range deliveries? Or the progression towards longer range vehicles or more densely populated charging stations?

"As an engineer" you should be able to appreciate progress, appreciate innovation, appreciate someone actually trying to improve how we do things.

You can dislike Musk the man for how he presents himself, relays information...that's fine. But to sit here and act like he isn't successful, hasn't done anything of note, is some kind of snake oil salesman.... that's just objectively not true.

"As an engineer" myself, I can tell you that he's extremely impressive. No I don't suspect he's literally the one doing all the hard designing and engineering solutions, I'm sure he has a well informed passing knowledge of the core concepts and isn't the guy putting pen to paper on implementation...he's the frontman for the company, the idea guy, the financial backing...

Are you just angry because people are attributing all the success of his companies to him himself (ala Steve Jobs)?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I know you are just trying to get a rise, but do you seriously have nothing better to do than jump into thread after thread with your one-line hot take trolls?

For someone who is bandying about “cult”, “fanboy” and “cesspool”, you seem to be quite obsessed with the subject matter yourself.
I wasn't aiming this at you but you are fitting the description of defender of "poor billionaire understood men" that are really popular these days with posts like this.

Actually this isn't new it just usually is over a world leader having a sort of cult sheep mentallity like followers. Or a musician, I just don't understand the appeal or why you need to defend people like this.Musk isn't even horrible or anything just your average wealthy ego centric person. Ia it the geek tech? Meh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Love that some poor Thai official had to find a way to tell Elon "I don't know what the hell we're supposed to do with this, and can you vacate the area? We're trying to mount a rescue here."

If heavy rains had come as feared, then the submarine isn't a bad option to have. One of the reasons the rescue went better than expected was because more rain did not come, and they were able to pump out a lot more water than they anticipated, thus the kids not having to do as much diving as they feared they might be forced to do.

Last edited:
Humans are selfish self serving generally.
Has Elon Musk shown anything more than a dreamy but determined business man?
If it was Bill Gates offering to help, i will be less cynical, besides where is Bill Gates donating to this saga?

Who cares. All that matters are results, not intentions.

If someone eliminated poverty and hunger while becoming the first quadrillionaire, what skin is it off my back?

oagboghi2

I wasn't aiming this at you but you are fitting the description of defender of "poor billionaire understood men" that are really popular these days with posts like this.

Actually this isn't new it just usually is over a world leader having a sort of cult sheep mentallity like followers. Or a musician, I just don't understand the appeal or why you need to defend people like this.Musk isn't even horrible or anything just your average wealthy ego centric person. Ia it the geek tech? Meh.
What defines a cult? Liking someone who does something that is seen as almost universally good?

Just to be clear, someone asked Elon for help, and you came into this thread crying and whining.

With regard to private space travel, you'd be completely insane to get inside a used rocket - utterly bonkers. As insane as getting into a vacuum tube and being shot at 1200 km/h through it (otherwise known as the Hyperloop pipedream). Hyperloop, while technologically possible in theory, is completely impractical in real life due to excessive CAPEX and OPEX, but most of all it's a completely unsafe mode of transportation. We already have tunnels with vehicles that carry people, it's called a metro or underground. If hyperloop ever becomes a reality, it will be very similar to every other train/metro systems we currently have - nothing revolutionary. Sorry, he hasn't revolutionized private space travel or public transportation yet and I doubt he ever will.
"You would be insane to get into one of ford's crazy contraceptions. Where's the horse? Internal combustion engine? Do you know what that is? Utterly bonkers. Completely impractical, blah blah blah"

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Love that some poor Thai official had to find a way to tell Elon "I don't know what the hell we're supposed to do with this, and can you vacate the area? We're trying to mount a rescue here."

Love that the BBC was called out on their bullshit reporting.

https://i.redditmedia.com/OYCtW-3Rs...zydoow.jpg?s=8c32b5d806040cc084ac65b2bcae29ad
OYCtW-3Rs21PUrfdjtfXxHCD0wuBT9YYJKUGGzydoow.jpg

Last edited:

If heavy rains had come as feared, then the submarine isn't a bad option to have. One of the reasons the rescue went better than expected was because more rain did not come, and they were able to pump out a lot more water than they anticipated, thus the kids not having to do as much diving as they feared they might be forced to do.

That was also their plan. So the rescue went as expected and that’s why they did in such a hurry. More rain was expected a few days later, but not during the rescue window.

Working 24 hours a day sounds cool to say but is not actually productive after a certain number of hours worked and may have lead to errors in an already incredibly difficult effort.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Working 24 hours a day sounds cool to say but is not actually productive after a certain number of hours worked and may have lead to errors in an already incredibly difficult effort.

Rotating teams.
Doubtful he had the same people getting no sleep. Lol

With regard to private space travel, you'd be completely insane to get inside a used rocket - utterly bonkers. As insane as getting into a vacuum tube and being shot at 1200 km/h through it (otherwise known as the Hyperloop pipedream). Hyperloop, while technologically possible in theory, is completely impractical in real life due to excessive CAPEX and OPEX, but most of all it's a completely unsafe mode of transportation. We already have tunnels with vehicles that carry people, it's called a metro or underground. If hyperloop ever becomes a reality, it will be very similar to every other train/metro systems we currently have - nothing revolutionary. Sorry, he hasn't revolutionized private space travel or public transportation yet and I doubt he ever will.

How are electric cars cleaning up the environment in total? And it's not like he invented them in the first place. Do you know how much that battery production pollutes? And very few countries have 100% green electricity production to power said EVs. Just recently a study came out in Germany (that does have a lot of renewable energy) which stated that a Tesla X has to be driven for 500 000 km before it's greener than a regular diesel car based on German energy mix of fossil fuel and green power. That's longer than the lifetime of the car.

His Tesla truck has very limited use in the real world. Mail trucks ok, but transporting heavy loads over long distances, which is trucks primary area of use? No.

As an engineer, hearing Musk BS about things like how green his businesses are and the hyperloop pipedream etc does annoy me because the layman gobbles it up like a Sunday roast.

As for him screwing models, artists, whatever, making flamethrowers (why) or wasting resources shooting a car into space (double why?) - how is that supposed to defend him or support this cult-like fandom he currently enjoys? I guess good for him, but I don't idolize that sort of behavior. I'm not 14 years old.

People really need to start thinking critically.

I like successful people who actually deliver more than just pipe dreams and bogus claims. I don't hate successful people, not even Musk, I just don't understand the people who idolize Musk or why they think he's so great. I think he's completely overrated as a business man, as a role model, as an ethical human being. I see a guy who's made getting subsidies for his companies into an art form, while over-promising and under-delivering at almost every step. Taking advantage of every situation he can for PR.

Co-founding PayPal is probably his biggest achievement, but I don't know how much of PayPal's success is directly attributable to him though.

Anyway, I've said my piece. I will leave this thread now.

Just picking out the silliest shit about this post; the roadster in space for example. When they test payload they usually put some random weight made of steel or cement or whatever that's gonna like whatever.

https://mashable.com/2018/02/08/elon-musk-tesla-roadster-not-typical-space-junk/#HCsjKxOQqSqJ

Electric cars: the beauty of electric cars is you can change power sources as needed. You can't change the power source of an ICE vehicle.

As insane as getting into a vacuum tube and being shot at 1200 km/h through it (otherwise known as the Hyperloop pipedream)

Prototypes have already been built tested and run by college engineering teams.

Just recently a study came out in Germany (that does have a lot of renewable energy) which stated that a Tesla X has to be driven for 500 000 km before it's greener than a regular diesel car based on German energy mix of fossil fuel and green power.

Link? can't find this study. I found something about germany not wanting to use tesla s for fleets because they can't do 500km range.

http://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/tesla-model-s-loses-its-privileges-government-vehicle-germany

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
So many have a hateon for Elon. I dont' get it.
I litterly just came across this post yesterday on reddit too.
Mans a stud..hope he keeps up being brilliant and changing the world and ignores the haters
ny4cpcib57911.jpg

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
So many have a hateon for Elon. I dont' get it.
I litterly just came across this post yesterday on reddit too.
Mans a stud..hope he keeps up being brilliant and changing the world and ignores the haters
ny4cpcib57911.jpg

People and media these days hate on anybody with money.

Nothing new really. I’m just glad Elon calls them out on their bullshit spins. Wish more would do the same.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Their have always been some journalists who took shots at Elon, but they never got any attention. This changed when Elon joined trump's business council.

It's been smear articles ever since.
He play games, commented that Trump tariffs are justified and with few technocrats sits on Trump board for technology.

I mean how can you dispute Elon arguments where he literally runs multinational business and have to deal with EU/Japan etc. and outright says US gets fucked on this trade. Getting car into Japan ? Almost impossible because Japanese change laws and regulations to fit only their own cars.

That's not what happened at all. Some people just hate anyone that gets lots of attention (especially if they have money). Look at Lebron James. He campaigned for Hillary and Barack, but gets hated on and mocked more than Musk.

oagboghi2

Lebron might get one mean tweet while mainstream media kisses his ass. ESPN are still sucking him off for moving to L.A. Chris Boussard of Fox Sports is having a fever dream of him running for the white house.

KevinKeene

Banned
Elon Musk is great. A rich person using his money to do awesome science stuff. The hatred against him is one of the weirdest Internet memes. He didn't pay for some picture? Okay ...

cryptoadam

Banned
I wasn't sure why there was a such a strong hate boner for this guy until I dug a little bit. I went to the usual shitty news rags like WaPo, Independent and The Guardian and looked for articles about him. Sure enough, there they were. Apparently the media is mad that he thinks the media is often irresponsible with their reporting. What a shocker.

It appears as though the hatred for him grew after he said he wanted to create a site that rates news agencies according to their credibility. And if you're one of those "right side of history" people, you have to think what The Guardian thinks to prove you're a great human. Hence, the hate.

The hate will go up soon once this story starts gaining traction.

Elon Musk Unmasked as Top Donor to House Republican PAC

DKehoe

Cause the diver criticized his submarine, saying it would not work in the cave and calling it a PR stunt.
I get that’s why he’s insulting him. But why pedo? It’s an odd thing to jump to. Is the implication that a Westener who has moved to Thailand must be a paedophile?

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
I get that’s why he’s insulting him. But why pedo? It’s an odd thing to jump to. Is the implication that a Westener who has moved to Thailand must be a paedophile?

Yes, that is exactly what his implication was.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

He was a media darling child before Pravda and more moderate views he spoke on. Shocker, eh?

Goes to show you, that certain people with fanatic ideologies, cannot be trusted as your "friend" unless you share those ideals 100% with them. They will quickly put that knife right in your back.

I am not even a Musk fan, because I truly believe the 'commercial civilian space shit' is all bullshit, and will never come to fruition as long as NASA's umbrella is the DoD (they will just use him and Boeing for the rocket launches of their equipment). It is a fantasy distraction (something I believe he deep down knows, but won't say).

Last edited:

Or just very into katooey love. But yeah, it's definitely a stereotype that older western men who move to Thailand/Indonesia/the Philippines/etc. are going there for sexual reasons. That region is the sex-tourism capital of the world. It's like when Art Bell moved over there and married a 19-year old Filipina like three months after his wife Ramona died.

It's definitely a low blow, and beyond what the guy deserved for just being a dick and lying about how the Thailand rescue operation viewed Musk.

Last edited:
Or just very into katooey love. But yeah, it's definitely a stereotype that older western men who move to Thailand/Indonesia/the Philippines/etc. are going there for sexual reasons. That region is the sex-tourism capital of the world. It's like when Art Bell moved over there and married a 19-year old Filipina like three months after his wife Ramona died.

It's definitely a low blow, and beyond what the guy deserved for just being a dick and lying about how the Thailand rescue operation viewed Musk.

Still defending Musk about this? Really?

The diver guy doesn't deserve any backlash at all. None. Actually rescuing the kids and being part of the operation is enough for the that. If Musk wanted to help, that's great. But maybe he shouldn't have ran his help campaign like a 2nd rate PR stunt like he did. Time to shut down that Twitter for a while, unless if he's trying to label himself as an asshole. If that's the case, he's doing a great job.

Still defending Musk about this? Really?

The diver guy doesn't deserve any backlash at all. None. Actually rescuing the kids and being part of the operation is enough for the that. If Musk wanted to help, that's great. But maybe he shouldn't have ran his help campaign like a 2nd rate PR stunt like he did. Time to shut down that Twitter for a while, unless if he's trying to label himself as an asshole. If that's the case, he's doing a great job.

Why did you leave out part of that clause?

I said it was it "beyond what he deserved", and further that it was a "low blow".

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Musk is 47 though so I don't even

Maybe in twitter the default no u reply is pedo

Top Bottom