• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

English Translated Japanese Visual Novel/ADV Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

So... how much choice do you think a visual novel could have? I ask because as far as I can tell most visual novels have a very limited branching structure due to their dependance on narrative, often with a single ending being the 'true' ending that ties up the entire story. They are, after all, 'novels'. But I'm wondering if it would be possible to create some sort of VN that didn't depend on a pre-set character.

Alternatively, this chain of thought might be complete bullocks.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well it is possible, but it'd probably take a great deal of more time to construct something like that when you consider the branching paths and there is a high probability that it wouldn't be as good. You can also have a game with seemingly no ending and not make sense at all like this one:

ZKDUB.png

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
tiff said:
About as much choice as a chose-your-own-adventure book, I imagine.
Those where pretty amusing when I read those in the library, but yeah it all depends on if the developers want to go that way. I'd honestly want something more narrative driven if given the choice though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
999 is my first visual novel game (not sure if Phoenix Wright counts), probably one of the best games I've played.

I hope someone releases translated visual novels on PSN with trophies. :p

Jintor said:
So are there any VN's with a cool visual style?

My favourite VN hegemony would be old school and perhaps a little cliche, but Snatcher and
Rise of the Dragon (the latter perhaps a little more "adventurey" than VN, and to be honest, outside of it's cool setting, RotD is pretty bog-standard). Just good ol' cyberpunk mystery games.

Snatcher has one of gamings' best soundtracks, too.

For me, the VN format works well to extent the old interactive fiction genre, particularly classic games like Gateway and Neuromancer. I'm not one for the loli-anime aesthetic, which is a shame considering there's often at least a few good stories in there.

Still, lots to explore.

There was something damn fine and apt about Snatcher on my GP2X, outside of the rather awkward lightgun sections controlled via thumbstick. The good ol' days.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well there's no problem with that really. I tend to ignore everything else while doing so though including my surroundings while I'm walking, so it's not nice being immersed in something then running into a pole. That's generally why none of my handhelds get any use outside of home, and then I'd rather they be hooked up to my TV somehow since the screens on them strain my eyes a lot.

InfiniteNine said:
Well there's no problem with that really. I tend to ignore everything else while doing so though including my surroundings while I'm walking, so it's not nice being immersed in something then running into a pole. That's generally why none of my handhelds get any use outside of home, and then I'd rather they be hooked up to my TV somehow.

I played Snatcher on the handheld exclusively in bed with the lights out and high as a kite. While the high part isn't necessary, it had a real cyberpunk aura to the play experience! :D

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Pylon_Trooper said:
I played Snatcher on the handheld exclusively in bed with the lights out and high as a kite. While the high part isn't necessary, it had a real cyberpunk aura to the play experience! :D
I did the same thing with the whole Ace Attorney series! Although that's the reason I don't like using handhelds as a means of gaming anymore either. If it's the only choice though I'll take it!

InfiniteNine said:
I did the same thing with the whole Ace Attorney series! Although that's the reason I don't like using handhelds as a means of gaming anymore either. If it's the only choice though I'll take it!

Those Ace Attorney games would have been terrific fun in such a state and situation.

OBJECTION! Overruled, Dude.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Pylon_Trooper said:
Those Ace Attorney games would have been terrific fun in such a state and situation.

OBJECTION! Overruled, Dude.
I didn't say it wasn't! It was the problem is that the DS strained my eyes enough to lower my vision. It's weird not being able to read far off things now.

tiff

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
Well there's no problem with that really. I tend to ignore everything else while doing so though including my surroundings while I'm walking, so it's not nice being immersed in something then running into a pole. That's generally why none of my handhelds get any use outside of home, and then I'd rather they be hooked up to my TV somehow since the screens on them strain my eyes a lot.
I guess the whole idea behind handhelds is to give you something to do when you don't have anything else to focus on.

Which really explains why handhelds aren't as big in America as they are in other regions.

InfiniteNine said:
I didn't say it wasn't! It was the problem is that the DS strained my eyes enough to lower my vision. It's weird not being able to read far off things now.

Sounds awful! Hopefully good things come from this new wave of tablets. The iPad and its ilk would be great portable devices for VNs.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Pylon_Trooper said:
Sounds awful! Hopefully good things come from this new wave of tablets. The iPad and its ilk would be great portable devices for VNs.
Well the good thing about VNs is that they can be on almost anything. I can keep my console, and PC VNs as per usual and the portable versions for the reader who prefers the portable route.

Kinda reminds me of the time I wasted converting the PC version of Umineko to use on the PSP then deleting the finished product after I realized I'd never actually read it on there. Someone made a guide from my instructions though so I suppose it helped people who do. Although they left out a bunch of steps...

Jintor

See, I play almost all of my VNs either lounging around on my bed or on public transport or while waiting for trains (that is to say, I don't play much or indeed any eroge, before now anyway apparently). So it's super convenient. I actually think VAs look weird on a computer screen, it feels too big (though I would love the option to see the sprites on their, for reference material... thank Aksys for posting hi-res fankits and whatnot)

Pylon, I wonder if the App marketplace price disparity level is suitable for VNs, although if it works with Ebooks then maybe... but I think the market works differently.

Dresden

Jintor said:
So... how much choice do you think a visual novel could have? I ask because as far as I can tell most visual novels have a very limited branching structure due to their dependance on narrative, often with a single ending being the 'true' ending that ties up the entire story. They are, after all, 'novels'. But I'm wondering if it would be possible to create some sort of VN that didn't depend on a pre-set character.

Alternatively, this chain of thought might be complete bullocks.
As many as you want.

With all the extra work that comes with it, of course. There's a reason why longer narratives will often be on a fixed track, with only a few deviations for alternative endings and lolgameover screens. Every split branch is another novel to work on.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
"One hour" into 999, I'm a bit disappointed that they don't show you-know-which scene. The text during it is pretty gruesome, but I'm looking at images as much as I'm reading. :/

Am I getting close to the part where it branches out? Should I worry about my choices during a first play-through?

Lain

Regulus Tera said:
"One hour" into 999, I'm a bit disappointed that they don't show you-know-which scene. The text during it is pretty gruesome, but I'm looking at images as much as I'm reading. :/

Am I getting close to the part where it branches out? Should I worry about my choices during a first play-through?

Go into the 999 OT, the spoilers are all marked usually, as there is another thread fully devoted to spoiler talks. It's a good thread, really!
I don't think you should worry much about your choices during your first play-through, at least that's what I gathered from the thread and from playing the game.

Quixzlizx

Is there a particular reason why PSP games don't receive t/l patches? Is there some programming issue that makes it impossible, or just lack of interest?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Regulus Tera said:

The game branches out quite a few times. Let's just say this: almost every time you have a choice, the game is branching out.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Ridley327 said:
I would have to think that since nearly all of those games started as PC titles, it'd be pretty pointless, no?
Pretty much, but PSP/360 only games seem to fail often too even if they garner a project. Chaos;HEAd seems to be one of the few to actually be completed, but it's only the PC version without the extra content, so I hope someone takes on the rest of the Science series and does Steins;Gate too. There exists a cancelled C;H NOAH port though: http://tlwiki.tsukuru.info/index.php?title=Chaos;Head_Noah

PataHikari said:
This is Kagetsu Tohya's flowchart.
Goddamn I forgot how huge that game was.

Jintor said:
Pylon, I wonder if the App marketplace price disparity level is suitable for VNs, although if it works with Ebooks then maybe... but I think the market works differently.

They'd be good value for money, given a slightly higher price point. I'd certainly welcome a boom of them on tablets. Just a good fit, visually and gameplay-wise.

Jintor

PataHikari said:
This is Kagetsu Tohya's flowchart.

Well, I'm impressed.

They'd be good value for money, given a slightly higher price point. I'd certainly welcome a boom of them on tablets. Just a good fit, visually and gameplay-wise.

Yeah, it seems a great place to put 'em... but only Japanese dudes are making them at present. We need a western market leader!

I honestly don't want to see it. The describing text was so thorough it became comical, which stopped me gagging (I'm sensitive, see). But anyway, yeah don't worry about your choices right now, wait for further playthroughs for that.

I've never played a VN, and not sure if I actually ever will but...I9 mentioned a VN creation software a while back, and now I wanna make one myself...

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You are never ready for Saya no Uta. There is nothing you can do to prepare yourself for it.

Also one of the most interesting points of the narative is that
You would naturally assume that you are playing as Fuminori "The Main Character" in traditional story telling. When in fact in a normal narative style Fuminori would be the The Dragon ( http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDragon ) with Saya being the Eldritch Abomination. Basically you are starting the game as the bad guy.

WanderingMind

Neo Member
My first VN was True Remembrance, which I read back in December. I then started reading the first four episodes of Umineko on and off starting last month, and just finished Episode 4 last night. I'm now taking a bit of a break before I start Episode 5.

My most memorable moment was
when I got to the end of Episode and getting trolled hard because I fully bought into Beato's act. Witches never reform.
I then sat through the credits, make it back to the main menu, only to have my computer BSOD on me moments later. I'm amazed I got any sleep that night.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
WanderingMind said:
My first VN was True Remembrance, which I read back in December. I then started reading the first four episodes of Umineko on and off starting last month, and just finished Episode 4 last night. I'm now taking a bit of a break before I start Episode 5.

when I got to the end of Episode and getting trolled hard because I fully bought into Beato's act. Witches never reform.
I then sat through the credits, make it back to the main menu, only to have my computer BSOD on me moments later. I'm amazed I got any sleep that night.
Awesome, haha. Nice that you could experience the trolling at full force! Hopefully the game saved the clear.

WanderingMind said:

Ah, perfect. That moment is so deliciously evil. (Also, welcome to NeoGAF!)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
hosannainexcelsis said:
Ah, perfect. That moment is so deliciously evil.
Haha, it really is. I was like freaking out during the whole reveal on my initial read, and I couldn't believe what was happening. Such a perfect moment.

InfiniteNine said:
Haha, it really is. I was like freaking out during the whole reveal on my initial read, and I couldn't believe what was happening. Such a perfect moment.

Ryukishi really enjoys being cruel to his readers. Somehow I love him for it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
thetrin said:
The game branches out quite a few times. Let's just say this: almost every time you have a choice, the game is branching out.

Lain said:
Go into the 999 OT, the spoilers are all marked usually, as there is another thread fully devoted to spoiler talks. It's a good thread, really!
I don't think you should worry much about your choices during your first play-through, at least that's what I gathered from the thread and from playing the game.

Jintor said:
I honestly don't want to see it. The describing text was so thorough it became comical, which stopped me gagging (I'm sensitive, see). But anyway, yeah don't worry about your choices right now, wait for further playthroughs for that.

Is it possible to speed up the text in subsequent playthroughs? I'm already wishing I were playing on an emulator for speed purposes.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Regulus Tera said:
Is it possible to speed up the text in subsequent playthroughs? I'm already wishing I were playing on an emulator for speed purposes.
Yeah once you have completed one playthrough. You can skip past all the text you have already read on new playthroughs.

Jintor

The game goes into lightning mode for subsequent playthroughs, yeah. :p

I don't know why they didn't bind skip text to B like Phoenix Wright or Ghost Trick did though. That's so much more convenient.

Swag

So I just finished Saya no Uta, got 2 of the endings. It wasn't very scary, except for 2 parts,
When Oumi going into Fukimori's house for the first time, and when Kyouji tails Fuki into the doctors house and he creeps up behind him

I have experienced some grotesque things, but this is on another level, although it had eroticism in it, it was really wierd knowing that what's being shown in the VN isn't what's actually happening, and the slight glimpses of Saya and Yoh's true forms were disturbing `0`.

Either way I enjoyed it and I suppose I have another ending to go which I'm assuming is the unhappy ending.

Scene where Saya rapes Yoh, W T F

Interestingly enough, the human organs and stuff that they constantly showed weren't as bad as the story details, other then the small intestine in the fridge, reminds me of that baby eater thread we had a week ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom