• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei V: Vengeance |OT| Join Qadištu familyyyyy and together, we will ”bang” the very gods!

On which platform will you be picking up the game?

• Total voters

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I've got this on my wishlist. Good to hear people are having a good time with it.

I played Persona 3 (Reload) for the first time a month ago, and am playing through Persona 4 Golden now. I would do SMT V next, but I'm going to need a break from SMT/Persona here soon.

Dude, I played this game until 3AM and I think two hours of that have been spent fusioning demons and changing essences. 😳

And there's still so many demons to get as I'm currently sitting at around 34% completion for my demon compendium.

Speaking of demons, here's another cool one I've added to my party since the last time I've posted in the OT. 👀

uuEOI3c.gif
UePUUXb.gif

Also bumped into this one while exploring the new area I'm in right now (for some reason I didn't fusion or recruit this demon yet).

jFAHO3V.gif

Oh and last but not the least here's a new Nuwa reaction gif I've made from my recent captured footage. :p

BgksgpD.gif

Technically this is the first time I'm playing through any version of SMT5 so most of the demons are 'new' to me. Also, I'm about halfway through Canon of Vengeance, so I wouldn't necessary consider this a definitive list.

With that being said, here are my favorite demons that I've recruited so far, listed in no particular order:

Mermaid - she carried me on her back through the first couple of zones, but now I've retired her from my main party since I got more powerful demons. Very cool design though!

Artemis - Immediately has become a mainstay in my party as she kicks ass with her physical skills. Ofc, the design is dope too so praise Atlus!

fzDFc0I.gif

Idun - I think I love her design the most from all the demons I've recruited so far. She has some strong buffs/heals + other cool supporting abilities so she won't be leaving my main party anytime soon!

D9DqtUW.gif

This creepy SMT version of Alice in Wonderland with edgy lines and very powerful dark spells. What's not to like about her!?

Ofc this list might change once I'm finished with my Canon of Venance playthrough and recruit more late game demons, so do come and ask me again in one week from now. :p

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
This just reminded me I need to go back to beat Artemis. I am level 44 now so it shouldn’t be an issue.

Hot5pur

Tried this game on the switch and it started off nice but holy hell did it get grindy later on.
Even switched it down to "story" difficulty and it was still grindy somehow
Don't understand how people tolerate it, perhaps it was improved for this rerelease.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Tried this game on the switch and it started off nice but holy hell did it get grindy later on.
Even switched it down to "story" difficulty and it was still grindy somehow
Don't understand how people tolerate it, perhaps it was improved for this rerelease.
I don't get your post. What do you mean by grindy? I beat the vanilla game on hard an never needed to do extra combat to level up.

Like yeah sure, it's something you can do, but when confronting a foe you are struggling with, it's much easier to change your demons rather than spend hours levelling up.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't get your post. What do you mean by grindy? I beat the vanilla game on hard an never needed to do extra combat to level up.

Like yeah sure, it's something you can do, but when confronting a foe you are struggling with, it's much easier to change your demons rather than spend hours levelling up.
Same, changing your party composition and your character’s resistance/affinity is way more effective than grinding.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Took it's time, but after 35 hours of playtime I've finally been ass-blasted SMT style.

Combat time, 6 Hua Pos, enemy turn, Nahobino weak to fire... You get the idea.

Danjin44

Took it's time, but after 35 hours of playtime I've finally been ass-blasted SMT style.

Combat time, 6 Hua Pos, enemy turn, Nahobino weak to fire... You get the idea.
Classic SMT, one bad encounter with random enemy will kill you and then you remember you didn't save. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Still Vengeance allows you save everywhere, so if I lose progress thats mostly my own fault rather than the game.

TintoConCasera

The most idiotic thing in all Atlus games is that once main character dies it's game over, why even have recarm or items for reviving?

Dumb fucking thing, drives me nuts in every game...
Heh, yeah it makes it all more challenging, which is good, but also enables some bullshit like having the MC be one-shot on the first turns, which is bad.

Sort of makes sense in SMT tho, if the summoner dies, then the demons should either die too or just go do their own thing, no? I dunno.

I think SMT IV let you kept fighting, but your weren't able to switch demons, I think.

I will never get bored of Artemis' Astral Saintstrike unique ability. It's so satisfying to watch, especially when you buff it a bunch (and also debuf the enemy). Yeah, I know it was a bit of an overkill in this clip, but that's beside the point. :p

ehdQBRM.gif

Last edited:

Hot5pur

I have no idea why my experience was so different. I always changed out demons and made sure every hit was taking advantage of a weakness and buffing constantly. I was consistently 4-5 levels below the bosses so maybe that part of it?
I managed things ok until that golden boss guy and then I just gave up

Last edited:

PanzerCute

I… ended up playing this almost all day yesterday instead of Elden Ring lol.

I didn’t see that on my bingo card.
Same as you. After a big session in ER on Friday, I decided to play SMTVV "for a bit".

Ended up spending my whole free time this week end playing it. 28 hours in, almost finished the second zone.

Fantastic and singular game, and the best "definitive edition" of a game Atlus ever put out.

Bojji

Gold Member
Heh, yeah it makes it all more challenging, which is good, but also enables some bullshit like having the MC be one-shot on the first turns, which is bad.

Sort of makes sense in SMT tho, if the summoner dies, then the demons should either die too or just go do their own thing, no? I dunno.

I think SMT IV let you kept fighting, but your weren't able to switch demons, I think.

No I think Its fair, because you can make your Nahobino very difficult to kill based on your build.

I get why it makes sense from narrative point of view but it leads to bullshit mentioned - enemies targeting main character and killing him before player have chance to do anything.

I should be like FF games, you control Tidus (for example) but when he dies rest of the party have ability to heal him, in Vengeance path there are other humans in party so there is no reason why they couldn't heal MC.

To me it's some ancient way of thinking they have at Atlus and refuse to change it, enemies target characters at random but only MC is important.

Danjin44

I get why it makes sense from narrative point of view but it leads to bullshit mentioned - enemies targeting main character and killing him before player have chance to do anything.
I actively make enemies aggro on my Nahobino using Taunt spell. The way I build him, he has much better chance surviving and I can change his resistance, his quit hard to kill.

My other demos specifically my healers are very fragile, they die pretty easy.

Bojji

Gold Member
I actively make enemies aggro on my Nahobino using Taunt spell. The way I build him, he has much better chance surviving and I can change his resistance, his quit hard to kill.

My other demos specifically my healers are very fragile, they die pretty easy.

Yeah I change his resistance before major boss fights. Some random mobs are the worst, haha.

sigmaZ

Gold Member
No I think Its fair, because you can make your Nahobino very difficult to kill based on your build.
Yeah I am cool with that. What I AM NOT cool with is how when someone in your party dies you have to res and resummon them. There's abilities that help with this, but it still feels like a really goofy mechanic.

Danjin44

Yeah I am cool with that. What I AM NOT cool with is how when someone in your party dies you have to res and resummon them. There's abilities that help with this, but it still feels like a really goofy mechanic.
No, you have to make a choice is that Demon worth reviving or would just summon new demon instead, this is why it’s encouraged to have good back up Demon. SMT is all about risk and reward.

Danjin44

Can someone explain the point of Registering demons?
Maybe there is demon that has skill you like but for some reason you have fuse it away….Registering demon will keep demon skill and current level on companion which you can re-summon by paying Macca.

You also can fuse and even special fusion demon from your Demon companion, even if you no longer have the demon in your stock, the companion has it for you.

Its pretty useful.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m at the castle level 3. Pretty far into the game.

If the ending is good, I may do a vengance run.

It’s between this and hades 2 for my GOTY so far.

I've decided to buy the Konohana Sakuya DLC since she seems OP as support and I really like her design (you got me good there, Atlus :p). The actual subquest I had to complete in order to recruit her was pretty fun as well.

According to one of the cards on my PS5, I have completed 70% of the Canon of Vengeance, and my save file shows a playtime of 46h. I think I have completed over 80% of the side quests and collected all the items in the first two major areas, and you know what, it was super fun (that new satellite view really helped me with some of the collectibles).

Oh and I've also unlocked Alice as a navigator by doing her creepy subquest which I believe is exclusive to Canon of Vengeance. Nekomata says it all here:

My main party now consists of 3 S tier goddesses: Cleopatra, Artemis and Konohana Sakuya. :messenger_sunglasses:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I've decided to buy the Konohana Sakuya DLC since she seems OP as support and I really like her design (you got me good there, Atlus :p). The actual subquest I had to complete in order to recruit her was pretty fun as well.

According to one of the cards on my PS5, I have completed 70% of the Canon of Vengeance, and my save file shows a playtime of 46h. I think I have completed over 80% of the side quests and collected all the items in the first two major areas, and you know what, it was super fun (that new satellite view really helped me with some of the collectibles).

Oh and I've also unlocked Alice as a navigator by doing her creepy subquest which I believe is exclusive to Canon of Vengeance. Nekomata says it all here:

My main party now consists of 3 S tier goddesses: Cleopatra, Artemis and Konohana Sakuya. :messenger_sunglasses:

I was surprised at how good the dlc is. Still wish it was part of the base game and not piecemeal out.

PanzerCute

Ok you convinced me, I just bought the dlc too haha

I played 8 hours straight today (thanks remote work) and I am still totaly in love with this new version.

I just can't believe they added a FULL new zone with Vengeance, and the most beautiful at that!

Fucking God Tier game!

Last edited:
Damn there is a complété new

Ok you convinced me, I just bought the dlc too haha

I played 8 hours straight today (thanks remote work) and I am still totaly in love with this new version.

I just can't believe they added a FULL new zone with Vengeance, and the most beautiful at that!

Fucking God Tier game!
I haven't played the Canon of Creation back on Switch since the game ran pretty poorly, and with SMTVV release I went directly on the Canon of Vengeance path and I'll say I'm pleasantly surprised how beefy the content is.

So far I've loved all of the exploration, both main and side quests, the dope demons and that you can interact with them in the new demon haunt place, boss encounters, party management, etc. Time really flies when playing this game, and luckily today was a legal holiday where I am, so I managed to clock another 7 hours or so. 😅

SMTVV is honestly neck and neck with Unicorn Overlord for my GOTY. Oh, and yeah, Konohana Sakuya is totally worth the €5 asking price IMO as her design is super cool, has OP supporting spells and also a very neat subquest.

Danjin44

I haven't played the Canon of Creation back on Switch since the game ran pretty poorly, and with SMTVV release I went directly on the Canon of Vengeance path and I'll say I'm pleasantly surprised how beefy the content is.

So far I've loved all of the exploration, both main and side quests, the dope demons and that you can interact with them in the new demon haunt place, boss encounters, party management, etc. Time really flies when playing this game, and luckily today was a legal holiday where I am, so I managed to clock another 7 hours or so. 😅

SMTVV is honestly neck and neck with Unicorn Overlord for my GOTY. Oh, and yeah, Konohana Sakuya is totally worth the €5 asking price IMO as her design is super cool, has OP supporting spells and also a very neat subquest.
Yup SMTV is fantastic, I’m glad it final released other platforms so more can experience this game.

LMAO everyone else is coomposting and I'm the only one enjoying the good old fashioned edgy pseudo religious philosophical discussions in this game

I just got done with the high school section and dungeon and the ending of that was great. I love how they acknowledged their more popular spinoff and they were like yes we're very proud of Persona but um NO. Happy ending? What the fuck do you think you're playing? This isn't Persona, bitch. This is SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI MOTHER FUCKER

Last edited:

acidagfc

Impressions after about 6 hours. I bought it on launch, but had to finish my re-playthrough of P5R, so I only started a couple of days ago.

I gotta say I am disappointed by the bareboneness of the experience. My problem is not that there is basically no story or character motivation, I sort of expected this to be a lot more basic than Personas in this regard.

But the lack of style or, I don't know how to express it, quality of presentation, is really strange to me.

I just finished P3R and then P5R back to back. Both have so much more style, I even want to say more soul, although this is probably not true and is only a question of the allocated budget.
Basic things, like menu art, in SMT5 they look like some sort of a placeholder that was not replaced before releasing the game.
Your MC dies - no cutscene, no question for battle replay, no anything, you are just kicked back to main menu.

The music is also not my cup of tea, I honestly want to turn off the battle music completely, it's so grating to my ears. Especially after P5, where I could listen to "you never see it comiiiiing" forever and not get tired of it.

That said, I do like the gameplay, all the demon's innate abilities look really cool and I can see there is ton of customizability and experimentation of the party setup.

It just feel like I am playing a low budget demake version of a great game and I so wish it had the presentation level of Personas.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This buff seems pretty good but does anybody know the actual numbers behind it?

5CDPot0.jpeg
I think by "all stats by 2 ranks" it means like Strength, Vitality, Magic, etc. So if your Strength is 25, this skill will boost it to 27 for three turns.

Top Bottom